Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair
Please enter the middle number: 5

Rubicon is a dog?

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:18 pm

My friend Bob got an 07 Rubicon. Took it out to some place up up the hill (I think deep creek) He said it was a total dog in the sand and wouldn't go up long or steep hills. It has the v6 but sounds like my Dakota could do better. He knows how to drive, hasn't ever had a problem I knew of before getting stuck off road, was the guy who showed me around Glamis the first time.
Says it just starts going up a steep hill and it jumps around and digs in, even in 4wd low. It IS the true Rubicon with rear end and skid plates and all. He just paid $35K for it and he's bummed. Is he missing something OR is this just how they are?

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Rubicon is a dog?

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:05 pm

We have 2010 Wranglers at work and they kick butt - same engine - LA Sheriff is using Rubicon's & they love them. I have to think something is very wrong with your bud's Jeep. 35k for an '07??? - must have some mods?
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:03 pm

Vincent J Brunasso wrote:We have 2010 Wranglers at work and they kick butt - same engine - LA Sheriff is using Rubicon's & they love them. I have to think something is very wrong with your bud's Jeep. 35k for an '07??? - must have some mods?
Ya It has all that add on stuff that makes it look pretty but NOTHING to help it get up a hill. He said it even has the rear end that is suppose to help it alot. #-o You read that its a V6 right? Hes saying it jumps around when he tries to get into. My truck only does that in 2wd. He said the light is on saying its in 4wd. I REALLY want to go out with him and see what he's doing. I'm not fimiliar with this area. I guess its up the hill. Anybody else wanna go putt around some afternoon before the SSSS? He was SO happy when he got it. But now hes really bummed out. He said Samurris (sp?) were getting up this hill. :(

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:12 am

I've heard nothing but good things about the new(est) Jeeps, and especially the Rubicon. If the rear tires are slipping or if one is spinning and the other is not, it sounds like the locker isn't working right. If it has that many mods, being he paid $35k, are the tires oversized for the gear ratio?
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

L&L Corvairs
ASA Board Member
ASA Board Member

Post by L&L Corvairs » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:28 am

I know this isn’t the sand, and I won’t pretend to know much about hard pack, but, just for fun and giggles, has he considered ‘airing down’? Tires can jump/hop when they are overinflated for the load.
L&L
It is not ours to decide the times in which we live.
It is only ours to decide what to do with the time given us.

Make the most of your time.

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:03 am

:oops: he got it for $27,000. But it does have alot of stuff in it. it looks like Kit from Night Rider. No Winch but mp3 player? #-o
So how does he test to see if its his locker?

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:25 pm

I don't remember how the locker is engaged on the Rubicon. I'm thinking it is an air locker, meaning that compressed air is used to engage it. If so there should be a switch on the dash or somewhere easy to reach in the cab. When the locker is engaged, both tires should turn at the same rate. The easiser way to confirm that it is locking is to make the tires brake traction by dumping the clutch too see if both tires lay down a patch.

The locker on my Jeep is called a Detroit locker. It has springs in the differential that senses when one tire slips and they lock both axles into place to make both tires turn at the same rate. Scared the bejeebees out of me the first time it engaged when I was turning a corner on asphault. It sounded like the rear end just chewed a couple of teeth off the ring gear. Then the inside tire started to spin and squeel as it turned to match the speed of the outside tire. :shock:
'79 CJ5

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Glamisbound » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:30 pm

My first thought was air pressure too. But it is entirely possible that either the front end is not engaging or the locker isn't engaging. On these newer Jeeps (and other vehicles), this is could be anything from a small sensor not working, to bad mechanicals.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Vincent J Brunasso

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:27 pm

LoBuck wrote:I don't remember how the locker is engaged on the Rubicon. I'm thinking it is an air locker, meaning that compressed air is used to engage it. If so there should be a switch on the dash or somewhere easy to reach in the cab. When the locker is engaged, both tires should turn at the same rate. The easiser way to confirm that it is locking is to make the tires brake traction by dumping the clutch too see if both tires lay down a patch.

The locker on my Jeep is called a Detroit locker. It has springs in the differential that senses when one tire slips and they lock both axles into place to make both tires turn at the same rate. Scared the bejeebees out of me the first time it engaged when I was turning a corner on asphault. It sounded like the rear end just chewed a couple of teeth off the ring gear. Then the inside tire started to spin and squeel as it turned to match the speed of the outside tire. :shock:
If I understand correctly, on the newer models, differential braking is used via the ABS - don't know if '07s work that way.
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:00 pm

LoBuck wrote: The easiser way to confirm that it is locking is to make the tires brake traction by dumping the clutch too see if both tires lay down a patch.
Thought I might want to clarify that the above could also be the easiest way to blow a U-Joint or twist an axle. :wink: :lol:
'79 CJ5

like2bcrazy
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by like2bcrazy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Total shot in the dark but does it have some sort of traction control? I know they have some kind of stability control. I see a switch on the dash of my friend's Jeep.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-recal ... d-vehicles

Maybe?

Mark
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Return to “SandRail • Jeep • OffRoad Vehicle”