What's the Difference between Chevy3500 and GMC3500?

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

What's the Difference between Chevy3500 and GMC3500?

Post by RAD4EVER » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:18 am

First, I use a 2005 F150 4X4 for towing a 22' trailer.
Second, have to upgrade to 1 ton 4X4 dually for future buy on fifth wheel.
Most Chevy/GMC dealers have a "Ton" of GMC's 4X4 duallie's, but hardly any 1 ton Chevy 4X4 duallie's?
One dealer in El Monte suckered us into traveling to their Chevy dealership, saying they had the Chevy Trucks we were seeking, and turn out to be GMC's?
I counted 18 GMC 2500-3500 units just parked there?
Tried to hard sell us the GMC's, told wife let's get going!
Why so many of one and not the other?
Seriously,what gives?
RAD
Have tested all 1 tons, seems the Chevy runs a lot smoother on the road according to my wife?

Rekd
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: What's the Difference between Chevy3500 and GMC3500?

Post by Rekd » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:27 am

The biggest difference between the Chevy 3500 and the GMC 3500 is the shape of the hood. They're the same truck.

GMC = Chevy.

Difference is that GMC only makes trucks. Chevy makes the same trucks (with a different name and a few different parts) and makes cars. It's all General Motors and it's all better than Ford.

Note: My reason for thinking GMC > Ford is experience. That and the fact that the Engineering department at Ford is part of (and controlled by) Marketing. Ford makes cars/trucks that appeal to buyers instead of making cars/trucks that appeal to drivers if you know what I mean.
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by crash » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:29 pm

I've owned Ford, GMC, Chevy, Dodge, Jeep, and Toyota trucks. I have to say that the Toyota is my favorite. When it comes to "real" towing though, only the Dodge with the Cummins will do. Ford 460 and GMC 8.1 were great towers, but I'm REALLY glad I don't own those anymore. $$$$$$$ in gas.

Rekd

Post by Rekd » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:38 pm

crash wrote:I've owned Ford, GMC, Chevy, Dodge, Jeep, and Toyota trucks. I have to say that the Toyota is my favorite. When it comes to "real" towing though, only the Dodge with the Cummins will do. Ford 460 and GMC 8.1 were great towers, but I'm REALLY glad I don't own those anymore. $$$$$$$ in gas.
I think we owned the same trucks. :D Still have my jeep and the Jimmy. 2nd Jimmy. I had a Toyota mini that I ran the crap out of. Great truck. Had to wreck it 3 times before they totaled it. **** shame, too.

The Dodge did tow nice, and I loves me some Mopar muscle, but my experience was that routine maint was a major PITA compared to the others. Don't know about repairs, didn't really need any. Haven't on the Toy or either of the Jimmy's either.
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

crash

Post by crash » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:02 pm

Well, I still own a 70s Chevy dually with a towing small block(can't give this thing away), an 85 Toyota pickup 4X4(had numerous offers to buy this one), 80s Ford diesel box van, 05 Dodge dually, 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I just bought a Lexus(Toyota) GX470 off of ebay for a song. Had the Toyota truck and Dodge truck since they were new. Toyota has 246,000 miles on it, Dodge has ~100,000, and I must say, the Jeep is not doing too bad with 150,000 miles on it and being totaled by an insurance company. The Lexus and the Toyota truck though, are my favorite vehicles. Just took the Lexus off road last weekend and the driveline system works as advertised. :D Probably one of the few GX470s that has brush scratches in the paint! :wink: I spent the second half of the weekend trying to rub those out. I really love all the vehicles I currently own, with the exception of maybe the Chevy, and they all have their purpose. Did I mention I live in San Diegos East County? You have to have multiple vehicles or they won't let you live out there! :D One neighbor has about 15 vehicles, the other has 14, and I got 21 at last count! Anybody want to buy a Chevy?? :?: :lol:

Rekd

Post by Rekd » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:13 pm

crash wrote:Well, I still own a 70s Chevy dually with a towing small block(can't give this thing away), an 85 Toyota pickup 4X4(had numerous offers to buy this one), 80s Ford diesel box van, 05 Dodge dually, 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I just bought a Lexus(Toyota) GX470 off of ebay for a song. Had the Toyota truck and Dodge truck since they were new. Toyota has 246,000 miles on it, Dodge has ~100,000, and I must say, the Jeep is not doing too bad with 150,000 miles on it and being totaled by an insurance company. The Lexus and the Toyota truck though, are my favorite vehicles. Just took the Lexus off road last weekend and the driveline system works as advertised. :D Probably one of the few GX470s that has brush scratches in the paint! :wink: I spent the second half of the weekend trying to rub those out. I really love all the vehicles I currently own, with the exception of maybe the Chevy, and they all have their purpose. Did I mention I live in San Diegos East County? You have to have multiple vehicles or they won't let you live out there! :D One neighbor has about 15 vehicles, the other has 14, and I got 21 at last count! Anybody want to buy a Chevy?? :?: :lol:

Sounds like you're getting the Toyota truck broken in just fine. :D

Yeah, that's the thing about living here in ESD, they put the red-neck on ya and there's no getting rid of it. It's alright though, wouldn't want it any other way.

We'll have to get together for a drink one weekend. :mrgreen:
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:28 pm

Rekd wrote:The biggest difference between the Chevy 3500 and the GMC 3500 is the shape of the hood. They're the same truck.

GMC = Chevy.

Difference is that GMC only makes trucks. Chevy makes the same trucks (with a different name and a few different parts) and makes cars. It's all General Motors and it's all better than Ford.

Note: My reason for thinking GMC > Ford is experience. That and the fact that the Engineering department at Ford is part of (and controlled by) Marketing. Ford makes cars/trucks that appeal to buyers instead of making cars/trucks that appeal to drivers if you know what I mean.
Yeah, I'll go along with ""Greater (>) than" as far trucks built for drivers! I would have bought a Silverado in '04, but got turned around with Ford Bling 4X4 F150's not thinking I was going to buy a ToyBox? Go figure!
Now that I've a couple of "Real world" years, concerning towing near heavy equipment, the half ton has to go...period!
How do they rate independent front suspension against straight 4X4 front axles in the real world?
Have to say that the straight front end on Super Duty's, when lifted, remind me of old school 55-56-57 Chevy I'beam/tube straight front ends.
Stuck in the 60's,
RAD

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:24 am

I absolutly love my old 89 F250. I have been looking at the new Super Dutys for a long time thinking "Ya. I'd like to have one of those" UNTILL I drove Chuckzillas 06 3500 =P~ =P~ =P~

From what I understand though 06 would be the last year I'd want being that they added a bunch of BS to the newer diesel models.

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:18 pm

Sloppyduner wrote:I absolutly love my old 89 F250. I have been looking at the new Super Dutys for a long time thinking "Ya. I'd like to have one of those" UNTILL I drove Chuckzillas 06 3500 =P~ =P~ =P~

From what I understand though 06 would be the last year I'd want being that they added a bunch of BS to the newer diesel models.
Sloppy,
What are you running in you 89?
RAD

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:22 pm

RAD4EVER wrote: Sloppy,
What are you running in you 89?
RAD
460 with a manual transmission. 125,000 on it and once I change the Starter I expect to get another 50,000 out of it at least. That is if I can afford that much gas.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

crash

Post by crash » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:42 pm

I drove a 90 460 5 speed stick F-250 4X4 for quite a while as a daily driver and weekend warrior. My father bought it new and claimed to have rolled the odom TWICE (!) and I rolled it once, so that would be over 300K miles!! I don't know for sure if that was the case, but the sheet metal was all pretty straight, but just cracking everywhere from being flat wore out!! I sold it on E-bay for $3k in 2004. The dealer would only give me $1000 for it. Good truck, plenty of power, but just falling apart when I got rid of it. IIRC the heads had to be rebuilt once, but other than that, no major problems.......oh yeah, except for that cat issue!! :wink:

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:18 pm

crash wrote:, except for that cat issue!! :wink:
I found one for $399 two years ago. \:D/ I'll never dump my pre-mix in the tank again #-o

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

crash

Post by crash » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:16 am

WOW! $400? I have one sitting on the shelf. Guess I should ebay it. The truck went through 3 cats in less than a year due to, at least this is what the dealer said, a mixture issue. It would dump too much fuel in on decell and the cat would melt down, then guts would end up in the muffler and the thing felt like it had 50 HP. After the threat of imposing lemon law, they gave us two cats. One with guts, one without. In any case, we didn't have a problem getting it smoged even without the cat working, so I still have the new one on my shelf.

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER » Fri May 23, 2008 7:34 am

Seems that I hear Dodge automatic transmissions are losing their spunk after 50K?
Two in our group had melt downs and sent them to have their guts replaced with high tech goodies! One being a 2001 Chevy and the other 2002 Dodge.
From the way they yank the go big trailers, seems to be the ticket?
Question: Will Chrysler Corp be around at the end of this decade?

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:52 pm

I thought this as about GMC vs Chevy :?:

A long time ago in a far away galaxy... sorry wrong story :oops: When I worked @ a Chevrolet dealership the same model Chevy Pickup would always bluebook a little higher than the GMC :wink: Trim & option packages available may be slightly different. Most of the parts were the same & it's same truck making the GMC a better deal if someone has a bunch on thier lot & is willing to deal to move one :idea: Resale maybe slightly better due to namebrand recognition for some people, but as far as getting you work for the $$,$$$ the GMC is as good or better than the Chevy :) I'm as guilty as anyone since I would buy the Chevy unless they made me a better deal on the GMC :roll: , but I asked for a better deal on one of our TRX250EX's because it was Yellow instead of Honda Red :P

Just a thought :roll:

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

valen76
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by valen76 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:45 pm

I always thought that GMC had a little more power for towing and stopping....you know its a work truck and Chevy is a show truck....of course I drive a Chevy.
Darrin
68 Baja Bug
86 TRX310R
98 Bounder
06 Chevy

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:46 am

RAD4EVER wrote:Seems that I hear Dodge automatic transmissions are losing their spunk after 50K?
Two in our group had melt downs and sent them to have their guts replaced with high tech goodies! One being a 2001 Chevy and the other 2002 Dodge.
Rather than starting a new topic, I'm going to use this one cause believe it or not....still wanting to buy a 1 ton...so here goes.

Looking in how our stock is performing, notice that Chrysler is that close to the "Death Pit"? Since for the most part the company is owned by the employee's....my gut feelings is that Washington D.C.s "Right" could give a rats arse while its sinks to the depths?
It's not just who's (50,000) working for Chrysler, it's about the ten's of thousands who support the industries who will be out of a job!
Look, not really rehashing an old thread, just interested in what you guys think about what happening outside our sport?
Later,
RAD

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:55 am

RAD4EVER wrote:Seems that I hear Dodge automatic transmissions are losing their spunk after 50K?
Guess the next few days I'll know wither I'll invest in 3500 Dodge or 3500 Chevy?

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair

Post by Washroad » Sat May 09, 2009 11:35 pm

Fiat is gonna buy Chrysler? After Mercedes quit on it? Jeez. I dunno.

GM is going to be majority owned by the Autoworkers union and the federal govmint. ****! Can you imagine the Corvette they would build?
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER » Thu May 14, 2009 9:50 am

Washroad wrote:Fiat is gonna buy Chrysler? After Mercedes quit on it? Jeez. I dunno.

GM is going to be majority owned by the Autoworkers union and the federal govmint. ****! Can you imagine the Corvette they would build?
OMG.....can't picture it!
Bet it would look like the Charger/Cobra-GT/Stang-GT/G350/Viper/etc. etc. et...... with a parts and sub-assemblies made in China? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
RAD

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:07 pm

I hear they'll give me a whopping $4,500 to trade my truck in on something that gets better mileage :shock: Thanks Congress, but you're no help :( I don't think $4,500 is enough to get me to buy a new truck till the economy gets better & my truck gets a lot more miles on it :idea: I'm not being Chicken Little about the economy & spending money on a new Chevy Duramax or Dodge Cummins. We're on 32 hour weeks again @ The Plant till Cement Sales Pick up & we use up some of our inventory :cry: I hope these stimulis projects use US made Cement, so I can buy a new US made truck when my trusty 99 F250SD wears out in another 10 years :?

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

Return to “RV • Trailer • Tow Vehicle”