Intelliduner
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Ok to keep moho plugged in full time?

Post by Intelliduner » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:51 am

Gang,
Is there any reason why one should not keep an RV plugged into a 110v source full-time between trips? Will it shorten the life of the inverter? Overcharge the house battery? Other liabilities?

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Ok to keep moho plugged in full time?

Post by WoodIsGood » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:32 am

Depending on the inverter you have you might cook the batteries. If the inverter has a smart charger that won't overcharge you should be fine. All the older converters will overcharge the batteries and boil off the water in short order.

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:54 pm

Intelliduner wrote:Gang,
Is there any reason why one should not keep an RV plugged into a 110v source full-time between trips? Will it shorten the life of the inverter? Overcharge the house battery? Other liabilities?
My '01 DP recommends it.
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Intelliduner

Post by Intelliduner » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:37 pm

WoodIsGood wrote:Depending on the inverter you have you might cook the batteries. If the inverter has a smart charger that won't overcharge you should be fine. All the older converters will overcharge the batteries and boil off the water in short order.
Hmm. It's a 1994--is that in the ballpark of "older"? I may have to call Fleetwood to inquire about mine.

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:48 am

Intelliduner wrote:
WoodIsGood wrote:Depending on the inverter you have you might cook the batteries. If the inverter has a smart charger that won't overcharge you should be fine. All the older converters will overcharge the batteries and boil off the water in short order.
Hmm. It's a 1994--is that in the ballpark of "older"? I may have to call Fleetwood to inquire about mine.
Find the name/model of the inverter and a quick google search should answer that. But I'd bet 10:1 that it's not a smart inverter.

afrank1971
1st Gear Member

Post by afrank1971 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:47 am

I personnally wouldn't recommend it. In theory, the newer inverters/charges should be able to deal with it, but my 2007 Winnebago Journey with a Dimensions Inverter, that should have known better, cooked my first set of batteries.

Glenn
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Glenn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:54 am

I have a 2000 Coachmen DP that would cook the batteries in a short time, and the converter started humming so I replaced it with a new unit that had a “Charge Wizard” connected. The ones now have the Charge Wizard built in.

Now I have it plugged in all the time and the batteries are always read to go, well the house batteries as the chassie bat’s do have a drain that has not been found yet… another story.

I used one from here: http://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/product_in ... s_id=11819 to replace the original unit and it now has the Wizard as part of the assembly. It’s currently on sale, they have another unit that is even cheaper but you need to review the model numbers to assure proper replacement of the unit that is currently in the MoHo.

I like this place as there is no tax, and free shipping most of the time…

So keeping it plugged in with the proper converter and change wizard is good for the batteries as they are cycled and desulifated every month.
Glenn
KF6IAT
Go fast, turn left, and look both ways and have FUN

Intelliduner

Post by Intelliduner » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:00 am

Thanks, folks.

One related question, I thought that plugging the moho into 110v would charge only the house battery, and NOT charge the engine battery. I guess I can test that easily enough with a meter this weekend, but I was curious if anyone here knew off-hand, or if it varies by make and model of the moho.

Intelliduner

Post by Intelliduner » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:11 am

I have a MagneTek model 6345 (series 6300A) (since bought out by Parallax Power). The booklet that came with it says it will "sense" the condition of the battery and will provide a maintenance charge when @ full charge, or a higher charging rate based on how drained it is. This sounds fine and dandy, but given that it is from ~1994, and many of you are reporting problems with much newer RVs than mine, I am going to play it safe and not plug this in full time.

Fuzzy Knight
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Fuzzy Knight » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:24 am

We have done this for 20 years. Just check the batteries once a month just to make sure the water is up to snuff. It may shorten the inverter life but just check it often.
Fuzzy
If every thing seems under control Your not going fast enough!
1986 250R
1986 250R CT 350 Kit
1986 250R Ct 350 PV Kit
1928 Model A Roadster
1953 Ford Club Coupe
1963 Fairlane 500 SportsCoupe
1963 1/2 Falcon Ranchero Original Factory V8 4 Speed

Return to “RV • Trailer • Tow Vehicle”