Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair
Please enter the middle number: 5

Dumpsters between Dumont and Vegas?

Post by Sloppyduner » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:13 pm

http://www.death-valley.us/article1434.html

BLM trying to educate recreationists on importance of truly packing out trash – not just dumping it in nearby towns

By Jon Klusmire

Off-road enthusiasts enjoying the Dumont Dunes have been well-trained when it comes to the “pack it in and pack it out” concept concerning their trash. Now they are getting a little reminder that they need to pack their trash all the way back home, instead of stopping and dumping it in Tecopa.

When it became apparent earlier this winter that Tecopa’s limited number of private dumpsters was getting swamped with trash, the Bureau of Land Management moved “aggressively and fast” to staunch the flow of drive-by garbage dumping, said Roxie Trost, the Barstow-based BLM field manager for Dumont Dunes. The BLM paid for additional dumpsters in Tecopa, paid to have those dumpsters emptied and is providing flyers concerning trash and Tecopa to Dumont Dunes users, she said.

Those moves, however, were seen as short-term solutions. The long-term solution, she said, is getting people to take their trash home and not dump it anywhere along the route. Putting dumpsters or other trash collection stations in the Dumont Dunes is not currently being considered, Trost said.

The BLM will keep working on the Dumont Dunes trash situation, she added, so Inyo County doesn’t feel the financial burden of having to pick up after visitors to the dunes.

The Dumont Dunes Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area is located about 18 miles south of Tecopa, along State Route 127, in San Bernardino County. The 10,500-acre site is managed by the BLM and designated for OHV use, and is getting plenty, with about 130,000 visitors a season (from October to May). Trost estimated that about half those visitors come from the Las Vegas area, thus travel through Southeast Inyo to and from the dunes.

This winter, those Las Vegas-bound travelers have been packing their garbage out of the Dumont Dunes, then stopping in Tecopa and other towns along the way home to deposit their trash, said Chuck Hamilton, director of Inyo County’s Integrated Waste Management Program. “Most of the time, the waste exceeded the capacity of the bins in Tecopa,” he noted.

That situation is what prompted a call to Trost, and the BLM’s decision to install one new dumpster in Tecopa and add another one during holiday weekends, when use soars at Dumont Dunes, said Trost. Signs were also posted informing travelers that they shouldn’t be dumping in Tecopa.

In addition to the dumpsters and signs, Trost and other BLM staffers were stationed at the dumpsters to query potential dumpers about their deposits, and inform them Tecopa wasn’t the place to unload a weekend’s worth of garbage.

That two-pronged approach to holiday weekends started during Thanksgiving and continued through New Year’s Day, and seems to have made a difference. “We’ve already seen a decrease” in the number of people and amount of trash ending up in the Tecopa dumpsters, said Trost.

There’s a good side and a downside to the dumpster plan, noted Second District Supervisor Susan Cash. Everyone should be “grateful the public is using the dumpsters and not trashing the land,” she said. But a wave of trash washing up in Inyo County from visitors would impose “a huge burden on a small county,” she added.

The sight of “neat little bundles of trash along U.S. 395” is evidence, however, that not every traveler is so thoughtful about garbage disposal, pointed out Fourth District Supervisor Jim Bilyeu.

Trost stressed the BLM would be working to take care of the trash problem, and would monitor how the extra dumpsters and educational efforts worked this season. Since the Dumont Dunes site is operated under the federal “Recreational Fee Program,” the BLM generates about $300,000 a year in fees that can be used to maintain, staff and police the area, Trost noted. The dumpsters in Tecopa and the cost of hauling that trash comes from the fees, she added. If Inyo County feels it is being impacted by visitors to Dumont Dunes, the county can “call me anytime” to discuss any costs or impacts “the BLM needs to cover,” said Trost.

“That sounds reasonable,” said Cash, who suggested the county and BLM meet in May to review the situation and address any concerns.

Currently, Trost said the BLM has no dumpsters in the Dumont Dunes, and would prefer not to put dumpsters at the site. In several instances, the BLM has had “bad luck with dumpsters” at several recreation areas, said Trost, and often finds a site will be “cleaner when no dumpsters” are available, forcing people to pack their trash out.

She cited several instances where on-site dumpsters created problems similar to those at a regular dump. The Glamis Dunes, managed by the BLM El Centro Field Office, offers trash collection on-site, Trost noted, but that move created a dumpster-full of problems. Those problems included people not quite getting their trash in the dumpsters, leaving mountains of garbage on the ground, locals and visitors rummaging through the trash looking for recyclables, animals rummaging through the trash looking for a meal and people using the BLM dumpsters for regular trash to avoid dump fees.

“We don’t want to promote a dumpster-dependent society,” she said.

Instead, the BLM’s approach at Dumont Dunes is “an education effort” to get users to follow all the way through with the “pack it in, pack it out” concept by taking their trash back home, she said, instead of dumping it at the site or in nearby towns.

The dunes provide a good setting for the educational approach, she noted, since there is only one entrance to the site. Thus, when visitors pay the $20 fee, they can also be “educated” either verbally or with the informational flier that addresses the trash situation and strongly suggests a solution.

The flier states rather boldly, “Do Not Dump Your Trash in Tecopa or Any Place Else,” and explains the BLM’s stance on not providing trash collection at the Dumont Dunes.

The flyer concludes, “Dispose of it at home! We recognize that this is a burden, but the best solution for everyone is for each of us to Pack It In and Pack It Out.”

Copyright © 2006 Inyo Register

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

Dune Shredder
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Dune Shredder » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:33 am

:shock: Well having gone to dumont for the past five years I know that the ultramar and the other gas and water station have lots of dumpsters just for that reason on big weekends. They are behind the building at the dump station. So if you bring it in take it out
If an endangerd spiecs eats another is it endangerd

RichB
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by RichB » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:26 pm

So no dumpsters for Dumont, I guess we should be happy that almost every penny our our fee goes to more cops and admistrative overhead rather than to some tangible things that folks could use every trip (better road, dust control, RV dump, etc).

Gottaride
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Gottaride » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:05 pm

OK, here is my take on all of this. We are headed to Dumont for a week then going down to Glamis for a week. You bet we will be looking for some place to dump our trash after the first week. Not everyone lives a couple of hours away from the dunes.

RichB

Post by RichB » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:03 pm

Gottaride wrote:OK, here is my take on all of this. We are headed to Dumont for a week then going down to Glamis for a week. You bet we will be looking for some place to dump our trash after the first week. Not everyone lives a couple of hours away from the dunes.
Very valid point. You should feed that to BLM Barstow.

Winston Cup
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Winston Cup » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:25 pm

Gottaride wrote:OK, here is my take on all of this. We are headed to Dumont for a week then going down to Glamis for a week. You bet we will be looking for some place to dump our trash after the first week. Not everyone lives a couple of hours away from the dunes.
It's right on your way. I-15 fwy south, stoddard wells road offramp, the second one, not the first stoddard / bell mountain offramp, then turn a tight right and travel north till you see the sign for the sb county landfill, can't miss it. Rest stops are good for dumping your trash too by the way.
Guy Chrest

Gottaride
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Gottaride » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:47 pm

Yep, we use the rest areas and gas stations whenever we can. Can you get into the dump with a MoHo and trailer (63')?

Dune Shredder
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Dune Shredder » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:30 am

Well rich your fees go towards the $15,000. toilets added blm, a camp host, yea at 60 bucks a pass you'd think they could put a couple large dumpsters out there.

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:46 pm

Gottaride wrote:Can you get into the dump with a MoHo and trailer (63')?
Sure can.
Guy Chrest

Ross & Alice
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Ross & Alice » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:30 am

Not sure if those creepy enough to leave their trash behind would even take the initiave to use the dumpsters,, but I imagine they might help.
Saw lots of thrash strewn about this past weekend.
Ride Safer by Riding Sober
Friends of Dumont Dunes

RichB

Post by RichB » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:26 pm

We'l, it's people from Vegas (and a few perhaps from Pahrump) that are going home the back way that this article is referring to.

Up until this year when we all dumped at the Inyo County RV park. The $5 fee always included being able to put your trash in their dumpster. For some reason the County apparently has gotten a woody over that all of a sudden. They've made a lot of changes there from last year to this year; used to be an old snowbird guy that would manage the dump for them in exchange for a break on the rent. They kicked him out and replaced him with County employees, complete with uniforms and all (real efficient huh).

Because the County stopped trash from the Dump station users folks would put their trash in the dumpster right down the street (at the stop sign). It's just one of those deals, you dump your tanks you want to unload the trash too.....be done with all the nasty stuff in one shot.

Dune Shredder
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Dune Shredder » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:35 am

Still they should offer a couple of the large roll off dumpsters especially during the busy wkd's it would help,and yes I've taken my trash home from dumont. Just my 2 cents .

Dunerocket
1st Gear Member

Post by Dunerocket » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:47 pm

I just don't understand why people can't take their trash all the way home. I have been going to the dunes more than 25 years and have allways hauled my trash home.

We should not even need those dumpsters........in a perfect world

peole suck they ruin everything for everyone else.

crash

Post by crash » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:24 am

Well, here is one very valid reason!!
What happened to the attitude that the government was there to "protect and serve"?

This is not rocket science. If there are places where there are a lot of people, there is also going to be everything that people need to live/survive. Trash is a natural by product. Provide some way to deal with that. SHEESH!

How to make a simple issue a huge one----->involve beauracrates!! :twisted:

Dune Shredder
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Dune Shredder » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:47 pm

:-k Well at sixty dollars a pop you would think they would provide a couple of trash bins. Oh wait I forgot it goes to the fifteen thousand dollar pit toilets. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:21 pm

Dune Shredder wrote::-k Well at sixty dollars a pop you would think they would provide a couple of trash bins. Oh wait I forgot it goes to the fifteen thousand dollar pit toilets. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Don't forget the 'pit toilet pumpers'!! :shock:

Now, that's a job!
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

hoser
1st Gear Member

Post by hoser » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:20 pm

I asked a BLM guy at Dumont "where's the dumpsters" and it said their is none because they got bids on dumpsters and trash removal and it was 130k a year, he said it had something to do with the trash had to be hauled to NV or something then some other fees, out of state fees maybe?

I hauled mine back to the Vegas area where I filled up my RV with gas I put the garbage in dumpsters.

SailAway

Post by SailAway » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:16 am

Dumpsters at Dumont have been brought up many times and then shot down, at least for now.

Would they help with the trash situation at Dumont? It's not possible to answer positively yes or no to that. There are no other dune areas where the trash problem has been alleviated enough to be considered "handled" even with dumpsters for anyone to call any system involving dumpsters to be a success.

In my personal opinion, yes, it would be a convenience to the people who already pick up after themselves but no, it would not teach those people who are negligent to behave better.

Cost is most definitely a factor... at Dumont the remote location makes dumpsters even more expensive than other dune areas so the users would have to decide if that extra expense would be worth the convenience.

And then there's the concern that adding this "convenience" adds also another tool for anti-access closures. Look at the dumpsters at Glamis as an example. The cost for those dumpsters increased an incredible amount because, once they were there, they had to be specially designed to protect the dune species. Every time one of those is vandalized or a lid is left open, Glamis is vulnerable to an attack based on endangering dune species by not properly maintaining the dumpsters that were only put in as a convenience, not a requirement.

No thank you, in my opinion Dumont has enough issues to worry about without volunteering to pile one more on, just to offer something more convenient than packing-it-in, packing-it-out.

VickiW
Vicki Warren
President of DUNERS and Friends of
Dumont Dunes user groups
http://www.duners.org
http://www.FriendsOfDumontDunes.org

Dusty Rhodes
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Dusty Rhodes » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:21 pm

But if Pack it in and Pack it out is not working............then what?
Dusty Rhodes
Sand Tramp Clothing

http://www.sandtramp.com

hoser
1st Gear Member

Post by hoser » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:53 pm

I am not sure what the answer is I do know I have rode at and camped at dozens of different areas from coast to coast over the past 35 years and Dumont had the most trash I have ever seen, not just bottles and candy wrappers but HUNDREDS of full bags of garbage taken with purpose to the opposite side of the dunes where you camp and dumped.

I guess the answer would be to have 6-8 cleanup weekends a year?

Here are some pictures.

SailAway

Post by SailAway » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:57 pm

More cleanups would help, of course. Maybe handing out garbage bags at the entrance? More education would be good too and policing ourselves never hurts. I can't tell you how many bags I've handed out to neighboring campsites.

Is there trash at Dumont? Yes there is, but adding dumpsters will not eliminate that, any more than the ones at Glamis have eliminated that trash problem.

VickiW
Vicki Warren
President of DUNERS and Friends of
Dumont Dunes user groups
http://www.duners.org
http://www.FriendsOfDumontDunes.org

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Woodglue » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:55 pm

There's a trash problem at Glamis? :?
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Return to “Dumont Dunes”