Death in Dumont

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

383STROKERINAK5
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Death in Dumont

Post by 383STROKERINAK5 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:32 am

So what's the story guys. I heard someone died in a rail Wednesday the 30th. Apparently it caught on fire. What do you guys know?
99 F250 SUPERDUTY 4X4 7.3
80 K5 BLAZER-383 STROKER
01 BANSHEE
92 ALJO FIVER

RichB
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by RichB » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:23 am

I read this on the DSD board but there was no other specifics:

"Two more of our fellow OHV lov'n community members passed away yesterday. Just before sundown, they jumped their buggy into a bowl, landed on the lid and the buggy caught fire. The two occupants did not make it. I'm only posting this as another reminder to US all to be careful. My most sincere condolences go out to the friends and family."

dunebunny65
1st Gear Member

Post by dunebunny65 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:24 pm

My husband and I were there. We didn't know what was happening at first because we had just gotten back from a ride on the other side of Comp Hill with a group of friends. We saw a bunch of people so we went up there and saw what had happened...beforehand we didn't know it was an accident or even any deaths but a guy filled us in and we headed back down. We couldn't be there on that hill...very sad and devastating.

The woman's son supposedly saw everything. Apparently it was a husband and wife and they went up the back side at a high speed (to jump????), landed in the bowl topside down and caught fire. Driver had to be cut out...it was caved mostly on his side. The passener (the woman) was freed from the wreckage and when we got there the son was holding his Mother. That's all I could bear to see.

The talk was that the son was already at the top of the dune watching out on his ATV when they charged up the hill. Whatever the case it was heartwrenching.

We saw the rail at Dumont's host camp the next day when they dragged it down... it didn't look good but the tractor was able to somewhat roll/drag it on all fours once on the flats. Looked like a smaller home built rail.

After that day, I was SO cautious that I think I burned out from riding my quad. I worried about my husband when he went off with the guys in his rail. He says he's always careful and doesn't try anything that would put him in danger but you really have to respect the dunes and be cautious of what's in front of you!

There's an older fella from Las Vegas that camps there most weekends and rides around on his Ranger golf cart...he said the couple was in their 40's and long time duners. Someone else said they were from New Mexico. Their group had JUST arrived that afternoon too.

Actually being there and seeing what happened really makes you think. So PLEASE be safe!

Our prayers go out to the families for their loss.

Dusty Rhodes
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Dusty Rhodes » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:02 pm

High Risk Hobby no doubt. My thoughts are with the family. Very sad day for duning whenever this happens. In the Military we used to take Safety Time Outs when something like this happened. I hope others did the same thing and reviewed in their minds what can really happen.
Dusty Rhodes
Sand Tramp Clothing

http://www.sandtramp.com

dunebunny65
1st Gear Member

Post by dunebunny65 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:15 pm

Well... There were only about 25 trailers/campers there in the entire complex because it was mid-week. I don't remember seeing anyone riding too much the rest of the day. Maybe a few but it wasn't like a mad rush to ride. In fact, I don't remember hearing anyone at night either. It was very quiet and somber to say the least.

We were kind of in shock actually. It's not something you want to see. We've personally seen people getting hurt out at the dunes but no deaths.

tonydennler
1st Gear Member

Edited Out

Post by tonydennler » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:44 am

Edited out
Last edited by tonydennler on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dune Shredder
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Dune Shredder » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:03 am

:cry: This sucks I hate reading this but it is a sad fact in our sport. People do die even though we take precautions it still happens my prayers go out to the families and other dune rs who have lost loved ones.
If an endangerd spiecs eats another is it endangerd

botham
1st Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re:

Post by botham » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:17 pm

Dune Shredder wrote::cry: This sucks I hate reading this but it is a sad fact in our sport. People do die even though we take precautions it still happens my prayers go out to the families and other dune rs who have lost loved ones.
I think we could save form such critical incidents if we adopt precautionary measures. Yes i am agree with you. Just look at this horrible incident. I think time is going to change but we are still living in past? #-o

Woodglue

Re: Death in Dumont

Post by Woodglue » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:07 pm

Welcome to the board botham.

It's never good to hear of this kind of stuff, even when it's news from the past (i.e. from 2006).
botham wrote:I think time is going to change but we are still living in past? #-o
On a more positive note, applicable to the ISDRA, BLM gave notice that safety and education is helping. Less people are getting injured and killed now in the ISDRA. On a level where the loss of a single duner is nothing less than devastating to our entire community, Safety & Education saving lives is unbelievably good news for all of us!!
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

ddjthomas
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by ddjthomas » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:37 pm

Woodglue wrote:Welcome to the board botham.

It's never good to hear of this kind of stuff, even when it's news from the past (i.e. from 2006).
botham wrote:I think time is going to change but we are still living in past? #-o
On a more positive note, applicable to the ISDRA, BLM gave notice that safety and education is helping. Less people are getting injured and killed now in the ISDRA. On a level where the loss of a single duner is nothing less than devastating to our entire community, Safety & Education saving lives is unbelievably good news for all of us!!
Given that participation at the dunes is much higher on average than in the past, I think we are doing well. It would be interesting to see attendance vs. fatalities plotted over time.
Donny
AKA: Digger
feet in the sand.....
you gatta love that

fei4423
1st Gear Member

Post by fei4423 » Mon May 30, 2011 1:37 am

Edited out.

Return to “Dumont Dunes”