Vendor fees diminishing visitor experience

Under the Federal Advisory Committee Act, input from the subgroup will be presented directly to the DAC for its deliberation and consideration. The DSG replaces the ISDRATRT.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

duneDS650
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Vendor fees diminishing visitor experience

Post by duneDS650 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:21 am

It is my understanding that fee are paid to enhance the visitor experience. However, the $60/day vendor fee is driving off vendors. Some of us like to go out-to-breakfast/lunch/dinner. Since the start of the increased fees, the number of food vendors has dropped off significantly.

And once again, where is that money going? I don't see any improvements.

TEMPORARY INSANITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by TEMPORARY INSANITY » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:21 am

You didn't ACTUALLY believe them when they told you that the money would be spent on improvements, did you?? It looks to me like all the fee $$$$ goes into new SUV's with 4" lifts for the Rangers and LEO's, while they haven't painted the (non-existent) center line on Gecko Rd. in years, much less done ANYTHING else. :x
Larry Linkins
O3' Funco Gen 3.5 W/90 HP Subaru

WEAR WRIST RESTRAINTS!
The hand you save may be yours!!

duneDS650
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by duneDS650 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:17 am

If I were a vendor, for $60/day, I would expect a cement pad and hookups for my business.

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:13 pm

Thanks duneDS650. Your comments will be brought up at the meeting tomorrow.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

duneDS650
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by duneDS650 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:46 pm

Glenn, any feedback on the vendor fee issue? I was pleasantly surprised to see some vendors still at the dunes last weekend. Even a couple food vendors.

I still contend that the increased fees diminish the user experience.

Thank you for continuing to keep this on the agenda.

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:58 pm

duneDS650 wrote:Glenn, any feedback on the vendor fee issue?
Yes. This was discussed at the January 24, 2006 TRT meeting during the Items of Concern.

Neal Hamada of BLM stated that the ISDRA had more vendors this year that in years past. An increase was noted in both the north and south dunes, with the laregst increase being in the south.

Mike Gilmore of Gilmore Off Road and Kathy Godley of KD Cycle were at the meeting and both said that they agreed that there was an increase in vendors.

The discussion can be heard on the Audio Recordings of that meeting. Listen to Track 07 Items of Concern. Note that this is a 53MB file. The vendor dicussion is at about the 30 minute mark of the 58 minutes for this agenda item.

Thanks for the comment. :D
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

duneDS650
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Topic re-visit

Post by duneDS650 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:11 pm

Observations from 2006 Thanksgiving week.

While there certainly are more vendors and the new "Vendors Row" at Glamis Flats is very nice, very few are open other than Thursday-Sunday.

Part of my personal "dune experience" is a run up to Vendor's Row for breakfast. We tried Tuesday and Wednesday. On Tuesday only INZO's pizza was open (good, but not really breakfast). On Wednesday one place, the red trailer, had breakfast (very good).

My point, while there were many food vendors, none of them were OPEN. In the past (before the fee increase), if a food vendor was set up, they were open, usually Haloween to President's Day. If they weren't and you rode up, they'd put something together for you. Now they live in fear of the daily fee.

It is understandable that they are closed, since they need to sell $60 worth of breakfast burritos until they make any money which may be a challenge on weekdays. But they used to be willing to open even to make a little money.

Again, how is the new fee structure improving my experience? Would I rather have hot biscuits and gravy or wood poles and orange netting? I'm pretty clear on that one.

Drop the vendor fees and let capitalism do it's job (let the supply meet the demand) instead of taxing it out of existance.

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by crash » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:33 pm

Let me quote from another thread.

jhitesma

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:46 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting that the article doesn't mention that 1996 was the year that the "Fee-Demo" program went into effect starting to charge people to visit many of these places that were previously free. (Thank you Clinton)

Instead they toss up the internet as a strawman argument as to why visitation is down and ignore the fact that at the same time visitation started to decrease the cost of visitation increased.

BLM all purpose answer generator

crash
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:18 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering about that. Thank you Jason. I had a hunch it was around the smae time, but couldn't really remember.

So it seems like the approach has worked elsewhere.(other than Glamis) See, my theory was that they wanted to start charging so that numbers would decrease. That would lessen the burden of the staff, and raise some money at the same time. It's really just like any business that decides to raise prices arbitrarily. Sure they may lose half their customers, but if they double their price, from a money standpoint they are in the same place, but have to do half as much work. Great theory.......too bad it doesn't always work.......oh, and the fact that it aims to SCREW the little guy!!

Return to “Desert Advisory Council (DAC) ISDRA Sub Group (DSG)”