ISDRA Use passes

Under the Federal Advisory Committee Act, input from the subgroup will be presented directly to the DAC for its deliberation and consideration. The DSG replaces the ISDRATRT.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Glamisman
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

ISDRA Use passes

Post by Glamisman » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:50 pm

My understanding the use pass system is that there are 2 types of passes a season long/year long and a week pass. Why not a weekend only pass?

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sloppyduner » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:45 pm

Or even a day use? I went out there for ONE day to show my mom around. I took her back to Olds, down Gecko, and over to the washes, all in my Dakota. So I wanted to be sure I was within the law and have a pass. Thanks to a GREAT friend I've been able to borrow a pass when ever I needed one since they don't go out when I go. So I take the trouble of going out of my way to get the pass, and OF COURSE on the Tuesday I went out there there was NO PLACE to buy a pass. I was parked next to SIX BLM rangers at Osborn and the pass wasn't out, and they didn't say squat.

So Whats the use for having the law requireing a pass for ANYWHERE in the ISDRA for those of us just wanting to look around for the day? IF there was a $6 DAILY pass I could get at a machine I would have much rather have paid that.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

My1stJeep
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by My1stJeep » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:52 am

I agree, day or weekend only passes would be nice. However how much cheaper would you make the weekend pass over the current price? Would it be worth the cost? day passes for visitors coming to see family for a day I think would be well worth it.

However borrowing passes is part of the problem, when not every user is paying their dues. It creates less revenue for the BLM to do their job, and increases prices to the rest of the duners.

This year due to the new regulations requiring the covered trash it costs about 4 times what it used to in order to keep up with the trash demands of having the smaller containers. Since there is no new source of revenue other corners have to be cut. Things like the 1st aid personal or LEO's are always the first to go. If everyone bought their primary pass it would go along way to resolving the issue.

That said going out for a day to show someone around or having a relative come out for a day to visit the week long pass seems a bit excesive cost wise. Hopefully this is one of those issues they are going to address before next year. I think an optional day pass would be a huge benefit. I bet there are quite a few who do not buy a week long pass due to cost when they are coming out for the day or borrow a pass to get around it. A less expensive day pass seems like a great solution.

RacingRay
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by RacingRay » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:40 am

I just buy 4 season passes. One for me and both of my sons the other for guests I may invite. If they invite themselves I make them buy a weekly pass. Personally I like the set-up they are using at GW on the weekends. You may get in before the passes are on sale but you can't leave without one. I think this stops a lot of "sharing passes"

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:30 pm

The topic of a Day or Weekend Pass has been going since a pass was required. The answers that keep coming back from BLM is that it just would not be managable enough and for what it would cost to make. The question of what the cost could be has already been brought up in this thread.

The big resistance that I've seen to it is the added difficulty (abiliity) for LEOs to detect and enforce valid passes. A Day Pass would most likley be purchased from a fee machine and would have to have an expiration day and would need to be color-coded. The Weekly Passes purchased from fee machines were color-coded already. This complexity was deemed to be too much to added.

Now before anyone suggests it, this is NOT my opinion. I feel a Day Pass is an option that many could use.

A big question remains to be the cost. It needs to be enough to cover the expenses associated with it, but not so much to devalue it as opposed to a Weekly.

Another is ease of enforcement for LEOs and availablity for the user. Until there are reliable and accessible sources for on-site purchases, this can not be met effectively.

This will surely continue to be a topic of discussion between the TRT and BLM.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Return to “Desert Advisory Council (DAC) ISDRA Sub Group (DSG)”