Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area • Including Buttercup & Gordon's Well

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Julio Hillbilly
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Wash 10 under R&R tracks, backFilling?

Post by Julio Hillbilly » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:06 am

I don't know if this is the right place for this thread but....
I had a Ranger telling us that they will be backfilling the undercrossing to Bordmanville R&R tracks. Is this true?, and a Imperial county sherrif cited my buddy for having an off road vehicle on Ted Kempf rd, He had said that the road is a county rd.

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Wash 10 under R&R tracks, backFilling?

Post by Woodglue » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:04 pm

I've relocated your thread here from the ISDRA/Glamis RAMP Discussion Forum.

Your buddy Woodglue prides himself on keeping on top of things, and I've heard nothing about Wash10 being back-filled. I'll keep listening for this, but in the meantime I would call it a rumor.

As we've been discussing in this thread, Ted Kipf Rd is a unpaved county road, and it's illegal to ride / drive OHV’s on it, except to cross.
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Voice
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Voice » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:18 pm

I cannot substantiate the backfilling rumor, but it would be consistent with the RR doing work on the line. They are adding a second line through the Glamis area and I have no doubt that closing the under crossing at Wash 10 would be a normal part of that.
It should be noted that the under crossing at Wash 10 is "at the whim of the RR" and can be closed at any time for any reason by the RR.

Definantly something to keep an eye on.
Mahmoud Ahmedinejad in a letter to President Elect Barak Obama
"May God Almighty ... bless the leaders of societies with the courage to learn from the mistakes of predecessors,"
"I hope that you will be able to take fullest advantage of the opportunity to serve and leave behind a positive legacy."

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Woodglue » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:21 pm

On this subject, the following is an e-mail from ICSO Sgt Ed Preciado received today by ASA President Bob Mason:
Mr. Mason,

Ted Kipf Road in the ISDRA like Wheeler and Pane Roads in the Superstitions is a county maintained/improved road by the Public Works Department of Imperial County. Off Road traffic is ONLY permitted to cross these roads at a 90’degree angle and is not permitted to drive down these road and is subject to a citation from a Deputy/Officer/Ranger.

Sgt. E. Preciado
Imperial County Sheriff’s Office
Off Highway Enforcement
Boating Enforcment
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by gelwell » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:00 pm

This cant be good news for Boardmanville. I mean if they are going to close the undercrossing at wash 10 and you cant ride down Ted Kipf, how would you get to Bmanvillle?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

L&L Corvairs
ASA Board Member
ASA Board Member

Post by L&L Corvairs » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:21 pm

I don’t know anything about the rumor, but, from an engineering stand point, the purpose of having the bridges is to allow water to pass under the track, rather then undermine the road bed. The rainy season over all is not a lot out there, but when it does rain, it is usually a lot, in a short period of time, leading to flash flooding. That is why there are all those ‘washes’, at least somewhat, if not entirely artificially created by the rail road.

IMNSHO, it is in the railroad’s best interest to do the exact opposite. That is, dig out ALL the washes, down to the cement, so water can flow freely, as it was when they were built.
gelwell wrote:This cant be good news for Boardmanville. I mean if they are going to close the undercrossing at wash 10 and you cant ride down Ted Kipf, how would you get to Bmanvillle?
To answer your question, in my OTHER not so humble opinion, it would be in the railroads best interest to make the Wash 10 undercrossing deeper, OR provide a place for OHV’s to cross, so they can legally get to BMV. If they fill in Wash 10, so OHV’s can’t get under the tracks, people will either:

a) Go OVER the tracks, with an increase in high centered OHV’s and train-OHV contests, where the lug nut rule of physics applies OR
b) People will drive their OHV’s down Ted Kipf road until the Sherriff’s crack down, then everyone will do “A” above.

Eventually, the railroad will get sued enough to either provide a legal crossing, or put up a fence. My vote is on the legal crossing.

I do not think filling in Wash 10 will happen, and if it did, I do not think it will slow people down one second on going to BMV.
L&L
It is not ours to decide the times in which we live.
It is only ours to decide what to do with the time given us.

Make the most of your time.

gelwell

Post by gelwell » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:29 pm

L&L I suspect you're right on all counts.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Julio Hillbilly
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Julio Hillbilly » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:42 pm

The rumor was started by a forest ranger from Montana who was so quick to hand out tickets, and was doing us a favor for not handing out more. As he was giving his pen a break we we're conversating about the 90 degree ride to BDV, so politltly he included the backfilling of the underpass at wash 10. Not to engage or disrespect to the Ranger I sucked it up and thought to impine with my fellow duners. Oh yeah... he did say we we're so lucky to have him giving us tickets instead of the Imperial county Sherrifs.
This does not discurage me from going to my favorite riding place becouse i'm a long time law obider and have never seen a ticket in the 20 some years i've been going to the dunes.
Oh did i mention that some of us are true blue dune lovers and not destroyers of our beloved dunes.
I should have put this under the WHINE AND CHEEZE thread.
I've digressed.
Thanks for all here to look upon this matter. I do not respond alot to the assa but i am a member and do try to choose the things i write about are helpful.

phx450
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by phx450 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:41 pm

Not sure if it helps but i went under on Monday night. November 2nd i believe.

But very true, if they fill it in people will go right over the top.

Cant wait to here about those accidents.
1987 Drag Banshee.

2004 400ex for the girlfriend.

Looking for a Baja Bug or something similar.

Solar Sales here in Phoenix. Get Rid of your APS and SRP bills!

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

YumaDune
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by YumaDune » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:43 am

Maybe I can provide some in sight into the question on what the railroad is doing.... The tracks LA to El Paso will be double track in the future. The work Marana, AZ to Tucson is full steam and they are re doing all the culverts and bridges in preparation for the double track. The work from Marana West to the CA/AZ border is underway as well. The work West of Yuma is out of my territory but I'd guess this work will mirror what's going on here in AZ. If Wash 10 is a bridge I'd guess it will be rebuilt as a bridge in the future. The contractor here has found out about rain in the desert as I've had a couple machines become submarines quickly during the Monsoon. The work so far has made the bridges and culverts much more heavy duty so if a bridge was at Wash then there's hope. A word of advice would be once they start working on them stay away. The contractor will call the law in a heart beat! The Rail Road has been wrote up for so many Safety Violations they are sensitive to any Trespassing! There will also be a railroad spur for the Garbage Dump at Mesquite and knowing the Rail Road they will close anything with in miles during construction!!
It's Just Sand!!!

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”