Ocotillo Wells Forum - You asked for it, You Got It.

Hardpack, Trails, Sand, and More.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Ocotillo Wells Forum - You asked for it, You Got It.

Post by LoBuck » Wed May 04, 2005 11:24 pm

I know there all some of you that frequent Ocotillto Wells, and there are some of us who haven't been there...yet. :wink:

Hey you regulars, fill us in on what's what out there. :D
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Mr Big Wrench » Thu May 05, 2005 1:08 am

Thanks LoBuck
Now I hope We can keep it active :lol:
Since You have a Jeep, there are plenty of trails You could use, The trip We made in Nov, there were about 50 H 2's in a group out there.
We have quads and bikes and I rode a bunch of places but ran out of time to do more exploring. I hope some others will chime in and fill in some more details.
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
08 GMC 2500HD 4X4 CC LB Dizzel
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

DSTMULE
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

OW RV park

Post by DSTMULE » Wed May 25, 2005 12:14 pm

Have been going there since 1987 and love it. Not for paddle tires, but for those who like to travel roads and explore it's the ticket. Food / gas / supplies are fairly close.

I have noticed the last few years that people ( i'd like to call them something else ) camp for the weekend and leave trash & bottles for ???? the cleaning crew to clean up?? which is me ! so everytime i go out, i grab a bag and gloves and clean my area from those that came before me. I don't know why people love to come out there with there toys, and then leave trash behind??? But i guess there is a small percentage that feel the next guy can clean it up.

My Button got pushed, i hate people who leave trash behind ! :evil:

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench » Wed May 25, 2005 1:33 pm

The trash left behind is bad enough, but the fire pits full of glass/aluminum/etc. sucks bigtime.
Some "People" never get it :evil:
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
08 GMC 2500HD 4X4 CC LB Dizzel
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

f-BOB
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by f-BOB » Thu May 26, 2005 1:03 pm

OK, trash is a problem, but lets get back on the subject.

OW is a great place to ride, especially for bikes, quads and jeeps. I see a lot of buggies out there as well, and there is plenty of open area to ride.

I'm going to try to outline a couple of the "points of interest" for the area.
First off, there's a really good map available at the ranger station with long-lat lines for your GPS convenience. I believe these are free. Camping is free, and you can camp pretty much anywhere except at Blowsand Hill.
Speaking of Blowsand Hill, this is one of the "main" places of interest in the area. It is a notch in a rocky hill that happens to face the right direction to collect sand as it blows through the area. The sand part of the hill is (guessing here) about 100 ft from top to bottom over a couple hundred yard stretch. It is only about forty yards wide until you get to the top where it widens and is split into a "cul-de-sac" by a large rocky area. This creates two traffic lanes of sorts, with one side going up the hill and hte other coming back down. The hill gets steeper as you climb, but nothing like the big dunes at Glamis. Muy crowded here on weekend nights, (and days) with trucks, bikes, quads, buggies, jeeps, etc. parked along either side of the sand. Paddles not needed or recommended, but get some good speed going at the start, or you'll be spinning 'em about the halfway point. This is "the" party place at OW, so much so that the rangers and ICSD patrol the place looking for underage drinkers, DUI, etc. This is an unfortunate thing, but there have been many many serious injuries and fatalities at this spot related to alcohol.

You will see Blowsand on you left if you are coming in on hwy 78 eastbound. The main rock hill itself has some challenging trails for those that like to explore off the beaten path.

Hope this was of interest. I'll post more if everyone wants to read more.

Bob
If "pro" means yes, and "con" means no, is Congress the opposite of Progress?

'05-Raptor 660
'05-Raptor 350
'05 Banshee
'07 YFZ 450

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Glamisbound » Thu May 26, 2005 8:58 pm

Glad to see this open. We spend about half our desert trips camping at OW (Ocotillo Wells), O (Ocotillo), or Superstition and the other half at Glamis. All areas have something different to offer and pro's and con's.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Thu May 26, 2005 9:05 pm

Oh and just for the record, Ocotillo and Ocotillo Wells are two different areas ICYDK.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck » Fri May 27, 2005 11:13 pm

Found a link to a Map of the area.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

f-BOB
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by f-BOB » Tue May 31, 2005 10:13 am

That is a copy of the map from the ranger station. It doesn't print too well (for me anyway),but it does give a good overview of the SVRA. The area to the East (out toward highway 86) is BLM property and off roading is limited to established trails in this section, as opposed to the wide open riding within the SVRA. This area SHOULD be marked as you enter from the state park, but I haven't been out that way in a while, so I'm not sure how clearly defined it is. Anyone else know?
If "pro" means yes, and "con" means no, is Congress the opposite of Progress?

'05-Raptor 660
'05-Raptor 350
'05 Banshee
'07 YFZ 450

Duneroller
1st Gear Member

Post by Duneroller » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:40 am

Ocotillo Wells is great! It's a good change from the sand now and then. Good terrain for bikes, jeeps, and prerunners. Hill climbs, wide open roads, wide open desert... you name it. OW is a very large area and you could spend an entire week exploring. It is regular dirt type desert out there, so be prepared to get your rides dirty.

Camping is good there too. There are some spots that have BBQ's and shades. There are bathrooms up by the ranger station with showers, so those without motorhomes/trailers can clean up every day too.

All in all, it is a fun place to ride. Well worth at least one trip.
Dan

Return to “Ocotillo Wells”