Hardpack, Trails, Sand, and More.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

DA4RNR
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Golf Course

Post by DA4RNR » Tue May 17, 2005 10:52 am

Has anyone else heard about the golf course going up on the other side of Hwy 78 (behind Mobieland)? There is real good riding in those hills including the slot (also known as Mars). Last time I was out, I could see where they had put in the post for the fence. It sure is going to suck when the area is fenced.
Permanent Reminder of a Temporary Feeling

02 WW 2600FS
02 Suzuki RM250
03 Yamaha 350
04 Yamaha 250F
05 Honda CRF150F
05 Honda CRF450

f-BOB
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by f-BOB » Tue May 17, 2005 1:09 pm

I had not heard that one. If this is private property that the owner had never bothered to fence in before, you're pretty much out of luck, and fortunate that there was an opportunity to ride in the past. The area south of hwy 78 is not an "official" OHV area, and I beleive much of it is private.

I just wonder who the heck is gonna come all the way out here for a round of golf. Are they gonna build a resort hotel too? :shock:
If "pro" means yes, and "con" means no, is Congress the opposite of Progress?

'05-Raptor 660
'05-Raptor 350
'05 Banshee
'07 YFZ 450

AlxCook
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by AlxCook » Tue May 17, 2005 4:50 pm

You better not hope for a golf course............................1st a golf course, then a resort, then nice homes, and then people that don't want to be near an off road area. And then, no more riding out there, it will be an environmental rehab center or something??
Alex

Member of DUNERs, ASA, CORVA, SDORC, BRC, and the human race

f-BOB
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by f-BOB » Wed May 18, 2005 9:30 am

A. Cook wrote:You better not hope for a golf course............................1st a golf course, then a resort, then nice homes, and then people that don't want to be near an off road area. And then, no more riding out there, it will be an environmental rehab center or something??
My point was that noone in their right mind would drive all the way out here for a round of golf. Even if they put a GC in, they'll have a tough time making any money, IMO. Then again, people in LA used to think Palm Springs was "getting away from it all". Now it's just an extension of the sprawl that is SoCal.
Now, that's not to say that some developer won't buy up the land and fence it off and eventually build homes, but it's not like we're talking prime real estate here.

'05-Raptor 660
'05-Raptor 350
'05 Banshee
'07 YFZ 450

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Glamisbound » Thu May 26, 2005 9:01 pm

My point was that noone in their right mind would drive all the way out here for a round of golf.
Have you ever heard of Anza Borrego??? It's only a few miles from OW and they have golf courses and big resorts that people pay $400 a night for. It could happen.

Another thing I've noticed is a lot of people buying up land in the area. Land prices have climbed considerably and everyone is starting to fence off "their little area". I hate to say but it seems like something is in store for OW. :cry:
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

f-BOB
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by f-BOB » Fri May 27, 2005 10:33 am

Glamisbound wrote:
Have you ever heard of Anza Borrego??? they have golf courses and big resorts that people pay $400 a night for. [/quote]

Notice I said in their RIGHT mind. $400 a night to sleep in the middle of the desert is NOT my idea of right mind.

I don't doubt that someone could/would build a resort/golf course out here. I just question their ability to draw business. Anza Borrego is quite a bit more scenic than OW. It wouldn't be an easy sell, IMO.

That people are buying and fencing their property doesn't surprise me either. I certainly wouldn't want a bunch of people riding across my land, have one of them get hurt, and sue the pants off of me because it happened on my property.
The fact that people can buy land here in the first place makes it private property to begin with. Just because it was never fenced and never enforced doesn't make it legal to have ridden across it. The idea that "it never used to be that way" doesn't fly, and IMO this thought process has caused off roaders many of the access problems we now face.
Just my $.02, I hope they don't build a golf course adjacent to OW. I have those in town where I live, and I go to the dez to get away from things like that.

Bob

'05-Raptor 660
'05-Raptor 350
'05 Banshee
'07 YFZ 450

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Fri May 27, 2005 11:54 am

Just my $.02, I hope they don't build a golf course adjacent to OW. I have those in town where I live, and I go to the dez to get away from things like that
I'm totally with you....!!!
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

putput
1st Gear Member

update

Post by putput » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:04 pm

We should buy that land and donate it to the state. Or keep it private as an off-road area.

Currently, a 15 inch well has been installed, and a roadway has been cut through the hills to the summit. The summit has been cut off to create an approximate 6000 square foot building pad.

While it is true that is private property, it is also a natural wonder. Much of Anza-Borrego state park was also private property, but the state park was established and the state began to purchase the private land within its park borders.

With the proper application of pressure here, we could create what we want.

Ignoring it will not make it go away. Ignore it and you will see one of the coolest natural land formations in southern california go down under the blade.

I'm not saying hurt the guy. I'm saying pay him for his land, time and effort, and allow him to go elsewhere. Even if its down by the blue inn... that would be way better than destroying the Ocotillo Badlands forever.

DSTMULE
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by DSTMULE » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:01 am

I've heard nothing about a Golf course in Badlands. Seems to me it wouldn't be a great choice but who knows. Last few times out i've noticed more fences going up as you try to make your way towards the Iron Door for a cold one and one hilltop has been flattened with a wide road ( that road is FUN :lol: ) going up to it. Looks like one of the crosses ( Beer Can Bob ) has been moved? Lots of changes as people buy land and i can't blame them when they don't want vehicles running by there place at 3am. Got to twist the wifes arm some, we should have bought land there years ago. I've been going there for 20 years now !
Time does fly...........
Brakes...........We don't need no Stinkin Brakes

putput
1st Gear Member

Post by putput » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:21 pm

thats sort of like buying horse property, with the barn, stables, etc - keeping horses there - and then fencing off the bridal trail becuase you dont want to smell the neighbors feces

shooting oneself in ones foot i'd say

who the heck would move to ocotillo wells that doesnt like offroading?!?

I've been going out there since 1968. Owned property on old cane springs road since 1973. Over the last 12 months, I've been out there every other weekend, and awake late into the night. If I hear one buggy go by after 11:00 at night, its suprising. And our road is not closed!!

The badlands was just purchased within the last year or so. This new owner attempted to put a golf course in borrego, but the water district wouldnt let him. So he's come to ocotillo wells hoping the county wont bother him. He has installed one 15 inch well (thats HUGE) and without permits has graded roads and flattened the sumit of one of the hills. Now some would say its his land, but I'd say lets make sure he is NOT VIOLATING THE LAW. If we are diligent, he may give up and go elsewhere.

Where's the spirit of ASA? "Unite, Inform and Mobilize"

Lets buy this guy out and keep the land open for public use, not closed to all who dont have $400 per night. Not to mention losing the cool moonscape of the badlands FOREVER.

I'd donate 2 grand to the cause if there was one. Anyone else?

Return to “Ocotillo Wells”