newbie here !!! (part 1)

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

jonathanfromquebec
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

newbie here !!! (part 1)

Post by jonathanfromquebec »

hello folks. I'M looking to buy an atv and project to go duning a few times (the closest dune is at 750 miles from my home, silver lake). I'M from quebec (canada) and we mostly have forest trails, rocks'n'mud, and sand pits. I must also mention that I'm a 250 pounds guy.

I want for sure to do trails, but I want to do sand pits and duning trips as much as I can. I already had a atc250r for a while but sold it to go back to school.
I've been told to go with the ltz 400. but honda is my favorite (even my lawnmower was a honda). But with the 400's, I'm afraid not to get enough power cause of my weight (I know, I should loose some but it's hard to do as a chef).
I know that the 450's are more racing ones, no electric start, no reverse, much more maintenance
Now with the big ones (raptor, DS, etc). I think it may be too big, not fun enough to carry around pits and dunes.

I'm lost with all these choices.

Mainly, I'm thinking about: honda 400ex, honda 450r, raptor 700 and ltz 400.

thanks
Jonathan

ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by ChuckZilla »

A lot of 250+ pound guys swear by the 450's, and I think all are now made with electric start, only the early Honda 450 was a kicker. I'm 225 in gear and I ride a 660 and love it, but I don't woods, only desert and dunes. Good luck in your shopping.
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent
If you leave trash, you are trash

jonathanfromquebec
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

how much more maintenance are the 450's compared ton 400's and the raptor 700?

jonathanfromquebec
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

and what about a 400ex with a stroker kit 440 ? I read about it a little bit. how much more power does it gives? don't know much about stroker kit, what's the extra maintenance it occures ?

thanks for answering my so many newbie questions.

Jo

ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by ChuckZilla »

With so many good water cooled quads out there, I wouldn't even consider an air cooled bike (400EX), but that's me. The 450's aren't really that much more maintenance unless you really ride a lot, or ride really hard. 450's should get a new piston more often than a sport/trail quad because the piston is running at a higher compression and is typically much lighter (less metal) so they are prone to cracking with less hours than a trail/sport quad piston.
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent

ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by ChuckZilla »

jonathanfromquebec wrote:and what about a 400ex with a stroker kit 440 ? I read about it a little bit. how much more power does it gives? don't know much about stroker kit, what's the extra maintenance it occures ?

thanks for answering my so many newbie questions.

Jo

If it's in really good shape and you know the history of the bike and it's really cheap then go for it. That's assuming you have no money, if you have money then go get a 450 or a Raptor 700.
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent

jonathanfromquebec
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

thanks.
For the oil changes on the 450's, I've heard a lot of time that oil changes must be done almost every 10hours of riding ? maybe they where track guys.
what do you think about it ?

phx450
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by phx450 »

Dont touch the 400 ex. Its a great Quad though i have one my girlfriend rides. I must admit though it is a fun quad to hop on and mess around with.

For your size and weight i would be all over that 700 raptor. I have the yamaha 450 and its great.

Oil changes are no big deal. Stay away from the ltz and ex. Nothing wrong with them but you will be happy with the raptor!

Good luck and welcome to the money pit.
1987 Drag Banshee.

2004 400ex for the girlfriend.

Looking for a Baja Bug or something similar.

Solar Sales here in Phoenix. Get Rid of your APS and SRP bills!

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

jonathanfromquebec
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

for money pit, I already have my jeep (re-geared, locker, liftkit, winch, etc). So I know what it is to put money on a toy for grow up :wink:

I'me really thinking about the raptor 700 after all I've heard.
thanks for your help.
now that I'm fixed on what to ride, does someone can help me on what I need for duning on my other post:

Newbie here !!! Part 2

thanks

Return to “ATV & Motorcycle”