Quad Thumb Effect

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Dos Rios
1st Gear Member

Quad Thumb Effect

Post by Dos Rios »

I've got two TRX400EXs for the wife and daughter and I'm getting complaints from both about sore thumbs from working the throttles.
Short of switching to twist throttles, are there any solutions to the "sore thumb" effect.

OLD GUY
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Extensions

Post by OLD GUY »

Try the clamp on extensions that you can buy at any shop. My wife and daughter love them and no complaints. Cheaper than switching over to twist.
New 5th. Wheeler
New Quad
Still the OLD GUY
BUT LOVING IT!!!!!!

Poiks
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Poiks »

Ride. After a few rides your thumb gets used to it...no big deal. But I guess you have to ride frequently for that to work.

Ross & Alice
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Ross & Alice »

I put the Motion Pro twist throttle on my Wifes KFX and she loves it.
Cheap and easy to do, available at most all ATV dealers.

Everyone told us the sky would fall, and the sun wouldn't rise in the morning,, but it didn't happen.
Just one less rider with a sore thumb.
Ride Safer by Riding Sober
Friends of Dumont Dunes

GlamisLovingFool
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by GlamisLovingFool »

What I do to avoid "thumb cramp" is get a tennis ball or other type of squishy ball. Do reps of 10-30 "thumb squeezes" a day for about a week prior. This exercise will give some strength and stamina to the thumb and has always worked great for me.

good luck
Josh Hashim - 08 Yamaha Raptor 700
Maria - 04 Honda 400 EX
Jonah - 2007 12V Powerwheels Batman Edition
2008 23' WW Superlite

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

My son claims that playing video games helps make for strong thumbs! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another simple hand exercise is to take a single sheet of newspaper, lay it on the table, and using just the fingers - especially the thumb - to crumple the paper into a tight ball in the palm of your hand. It takes more effort than you might think.

I actually made a thumb exerciser for my wife (she had similar sore thumb issues) from some junk bike parts and a spring. Essentially it is a handlebar with a thumb shifter with an adjustable spring load against it. She gave me the stink eye when I gave it to her but warmed to the idea once she'd tried it.

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie »

What I do to avoid "thumb cramp" is get a tennis ball or other type of squishy ball. Do reps of 10-30 "thumb squeezes" a day for about a week prior. This exercise will give some strength and stamina to the thumb and has always worked great for me.
I use the squishy ball about a week berfore as well.. No sore thumb. Just make sure you work the thumb and not just the hand.

crash

Post by crash »

I've observed that a good thumb excercise that includes lifting 12-24 ozs of the patients favorite adult beverage after said injury seems to relieve all symptoms. :wink: :lol:

JakeTheRake
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by JakeTheRake »

You could try adjusting the position of the throttle on your handle bars. A slight adjustment in the angle can really make a difference.
Jake Brittain
Fallbrook

'06 YFZ450 SE

phx450
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by phx450 »

Here is the easy fix that worked for me.

While riding place two to three asprin inside of your glove on the thumb. This prevents it from getting sore.

Strange i know but on long weekends my thumb works great!!!!
1987 Drag Banshee.

2004 400ex for the girlfriend.

Looking for a Baja Bug or something similar.

Solar Sales here in Phoenix. Get Rid of your APS and SRP bills!

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

Voice

Post by Voice »

JakeTheRake wrote:You could try adjusting the position of the throttle on your handle bars. A slight adjustment in the angle can really make a difference.
Asside from practice/excersize this is the best solution.
Try turning the thumb throttle so it is higher (clockwise) so that when you press it you are pressing more downward.

Also, before trying all of these things you should try to see if it is an issue of a bad cable. Try it yourself and make sure it moves freely and without too much spring.
Most throttle springs can be adjusted somewhat and there is even a spring inside of the thumb throttle enclosure. A new one here or an adjustment on the spring by the carb can do wonders.

Banshees are notorious for this problem due to the dual carb issue. Not sure about your quads.
Mahmoud Ahmedinejad in a letter to President Elect Barak Obama
"May God Almighty ... bless the leaders of societies with the courage to learn from the mistakes of predecessors,"
"I hope that you will be able to take fullest advantage of the opportunity to serve and leave behind a positive legacy."

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by BHenry »

YFZs are also notorious for a stiff thumb throttle. There is a simple mod to correct this, which I found on the YFZCentral website; moving the mounting point of the cable in the carb. It took me about half an hour to complete the mod, and all of my thumb cramping issues went away.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

JakeTheRake
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by JakeTheRake »

BHenry wrote:YFZs are also notorious for a stiff thumb throttle. There is a simple mod to correct this, which I found on the YFZCentral website; moving the mounting point of the cable in the carb. It took me about half an hour to complete the mod, and all of my thumb cramping issues went away.
On my YFZ, I have replaced the throttle body with one from a honda 400. The design on the honda throttle is much better and I have not had a sore thumb since.....but my thumb hasn't been out of shape since I've had it, so I don't know how big of a difference it actually made.
Jake Brittain
Fallbrook

'06 YFZ450 SE

Blaster_chick
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Blaster_chick »

The lever extension worked for me for a little while. I still switched to a twist throttle and loved it

Now that I only ride dirt bikes, I can't imagine going back to a thumb throttle.
Sarcasm is the body's natural reaction to stupidity.

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Re: Quad Thumb Effect

Post by Astro »

Before you spend any money on extenders or twist throttle conversions do a little set up work :idea: I have a CR copy twist throttle on my TRX just like my CR, so it's not that I'm anti twist throttle conversion or thumb throttle crazy :roll: Some people ride better with thumb throttles, so why spend the money if you don't need to #-o Bikes aren't set up for that personal fit @ the dealership [-X With the rider in a neutral seated riding position front to back on the seat & elbows up slightly set the levers pointed slightly down & the throttle pointed slightly up :| It should make a straight line from the shoulders across the elbows & wrists to the controls :wink: I found the throttles on my Daughter's & Son's TRX's were a little to far away from the grips as well :? It's a good starting point & it made my Wife, Daughter & Son much more comfortable =D> I set the controls on my CR & TRX up the same way without the thumb throttle :)

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by ChuckZilla »

Lots of good advice in here. The only time I get thumb cramp is when I'm trying to hold a light throttle, steady speed, I think because I'm having to hold a certain position is what get's me, as long as I'm doing the 'full throttle-off-full throttle-off' thing then I'm fine.
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent
If you leave trash, you are trash

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

Astro wrote:Bikes aren't set up for that personal fit @ the dealership [-X With the rider in a neutral seated riding position front to back on the seat & elbows up slightly set the levers pointed slightly down & the throttle pointed slightly up :| It should make a straight line from the shoulders across the elbows & wrists to the controls
I agree that the throttle, clutch, brake lever, and brake pedal on most bikes need to be adjusted from their factory settings. Where you set them is somewhat personal preference, but also should include ergonomics - making things the least amount of work for the body. Loosen the retaining bolts, get on the bike, and move them to various positions to find out what works for you, then tighten them down.

Return to “ATV & Motorcycle”