Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

quadmania
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Help build a banshee

Post by quadmania »

I want to take my stock 1995 banshee and build it up to beat Raptors.
A lot of you have gone through this process before I'm sure. What exactly do I need to do ??? And who do you recommed to do the work?
Thanks for your input
quadmania

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by crash »

Duncan and Trinity are the big names for sure, but I don't own a Shee so I couldn't say for sure. One of the guys in our group has a Shee built by Duncan and it's pretty fast and reliable.

RX 4 INSANDITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by RX 4 INSANDITY »

I agree with Crash. If you live near San Diego, Loren Duncan of Duncan Racing will build a very fast, reliable, race proven motor. :D Take you check book, because he is not the cheapest, just the best. :shock: 8) :D

Other builders may build a faster motor, just that it will not be reliable for the long term. I used a builder out of Mesa, Az that is long gone. I put over $8 grand in a very cool motor that was the fastest thing I ever saw for about 30 minutes at a time. That was how long it took to destroy itself. They would repair the motor, but it continued to break after about 30 minutes. Did that 3 or 4 times and decided to go with Duncan for sanity sake. :shock: :shock: :( :?

I still have my Banshee, though it has not been started in years. I have an "eliminator" motor from Duncan which had been proven by multiple wins at Pikes Peak. Loren will not do one offs that have not been proven on the track. You will not be disappointed with duncan Racing in Santee.

--Mike
Offroading and Concern for the Environment are NOT Mutually Exclusive

cvraptor
1st Gear Member

Post by cvraptor »

Beat a Raptor :lol: you're funny !
06 raptor 700r
sand stars fr &rr when dunin
i may be gettin older but i'll never grow up
roger

quadmania
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by quadmania »

Don't laugh to hard pal, my stock banshee is only three quad lenghts behind a raptor. That's not saying much for the raptor-LOL!!!!! And my shee is a 1995 "stock" with a K&N filter and outwear. HE HE HE
I'm thinking all I need is just maybe pipes rejetting and clutch spring and it's bye bye Raptor.

r erfert
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by r erfert »

quadmania wrote: my stock banshee is only three quad lenghts behind a raptor.
I'm thinking all I need is just maybe pipes rejetting and clutch spring and it's bye bye Raptor.
Sounds like a good canadate for a hidden nos bottle :)

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

All it takes is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and an ounce of skill.
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

cvraptor
1st Gear Member

Post by cvraptor »

sorry, could'nt help myself :lol: my son has an 06 se banshee with toomy's , v-force reeds, k&n, boost bottle, & jetted for the dunes , my raptor is bone stock except for 6pac rack and we run neck & neck in most cases up olds it just depends on who gets the best start. in a flat drag race i usually take him but not by much ! good luck on your project 8)
06 raptor 700r
roger

crash

Post by crash »

Well, it actually makes sense that they would be pretty equal.

The 660 is firing every other compression stroke, while the 350 is firing EVERY compression stroke. Therefore it should take roughly a 700 to equal the Shee's 350cc. Take into account fuel injection, modern design, and posibly a weight difference(? :shock: :D ) and there you have it.

quadmania
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by quadmania »

Say guys,

If I do put pipes on and rejet would you suggest putting in heavy duty cluthch springs? I would still like to keep this shee as reliable as it's been.

Thanks

cvraptor
1st Gear Member

Post by cvraptor »

a weight difference , what are you trying to say :lol: oh never mind , we digress . when ever we have a ? about the banshee we go to bansheehq.com 8) hope that helps.
06 raptor 700r
roger

RX 4 INSANDITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by RX 4 INSANDITY »

my son has an 06 se banshee with toomy's , v-force reeds, k&n, boost bottle, & jetted for the dunes , my raptor is bone stock except for 6pac rack and we run neck & neck in most cases up olds it just depends on who gets the best start. in a flat drag race i usually take him but not by much ! good luck on your project
You basically just described a Banshee with pipes. You added a bunch of bolt on stuff (reeds, filter and jetting) and that was about it. :?

It has been a while and 4 stroke technology has improved from what it once was, but I would put money on a nicely built banshee vs a Raptor every time. :D :D

--Mike
Offroading and Concern for the Environment are NOT Mutually Exclusive

Sand Commander
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Sand Commander »

I have owned, and still do own a few banshees.
My last one was a stroker with a cool head, ported, bored, pipes, big carbs, V-force reeds, hinson clutch basket and heavy clutch springs. It was extremely reliable and produced 68HP. One of my son's rides this one now.

My kids ride stock Banshees with the following upgrades:
Pipes, K&N air cleaner, V-force reeds and rejet the stock carbs. These upgrades will give you 80% of the potential horsepower available. Eventually the additional horsepower will put stress on the crank. If you are tearing the motor down weld the crank and everything will be good. If you just want to leave the motor together and bolt on the goodies it will stay together for a long time. Then weld the crank the next time the motor is apart.

The most important ingredient for building up a reliable Banshee is the quality of the mechanic doing the work. I can't stress this enough. The best Banshee mechanics are the best for a reason- They know how to build a bike.

My old 68HP Banshee is just as reliable as the stockers with bolt on additions because they were built by qualified mechanics.

Good luck with your build.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

crash

Post by crash »

Um.............so who's your qualified mechanic? :roll:

quadmania
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by quadmania »

Sand Commander,

So your telling me if I put pipes (what pipes do you recommend?), (alreday have a K&N filter/outwear), V-force reeds and rejet the stock carbs this will give me 80% of the potential horsepower. How long will the crank hold out until it needs to be welded? Or will it hold with these modifications only?
I see your in Huntington Beach, I'm in Redondo Beach. What mechanic would you recommend? Name? Phone number?
Thanks for the great input!

phx450
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Re: Help build a banshee

Post by phx450 »

First find out how much money you want to spend.

Get your head ported, pipes(most inframes will be fine), bigger carbs and a rejet. This alone should handle most if not all raptors.

Be carefull though i have well over 8k into my 4mil banshee. Then again no raptor that i have seen will run with it. go to the right side of olds on a busy weekend and tell me how many raptors you see race against the banshees.
1987 Drag Banshee.

2004 400ex for the girlfriend.

Looking for a Baja Bug or something similar.

Solar Sales here in Phoenix. Get Rid of your APS and SRP bills!

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

cvraptor
1st Gear Member

Post by cvraptor »

here we go, apples & oranges, race a raptor 700 w/ 8k invested and call me in the morning :P
06 raptor 700r
roger

crash

Post by crash »

Yeah, that's like when someone beats me by a car length or so at the drags in a blown, alcohol, ridged frame, drag only rail and he's all smiles about it. He should probably think about the fact that he only beat me by a car length and I'm running 1200 CCs, normally aspirated, on pump gas. :shock: AND I duned it over to the drags!! :wink: If he did, he probably wouldn't be smiling. #-o

These new 4-stroke bikes ARE pretty fast stock, but the manufacturers did have to put in pretty large displacement engines to get them there. Still the fact that one can just go buy one and compete with $10k + Shee's is pretty amazing.

I thought this topic was dead. I wonder if phx450 noticed the last post was on Jan 15th.

cvraptor
1st Gear Member

Post by cvraptor »

i don't know if he noticed or not, but as 4 me, i'm just havin fun :lol:
06 raptor 700r
roger

phx450
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by phx450 »

crash wrote:Yeah, that's like when someone beats me by a car length or so at the drags in a blown, alcohol, ridged frame, drag only rail and he's all smiles about it. He should probably think about the fact that he only beat me by a car length and I'm running 1200 CCs, normally aspirated, on pump gas. :shock: AND I duned it over to the drags!! :wink: If he did, he probably wouldn't be smiling. #-o

These new 4-stroke bikes ARE pretty fast stock, but the manufacturers did have to put in pretty large displacement engines to get them there. Still the fact that one can just go buy one and compete with $10k + Shee's is pretty amazing.

I thought this topic was dead. I wonder if phx450 noticed the last post was on Jan 15th.

Nope, i was at work and bored. Sorry for bringing up a bad subject for some of the four stroke guys. It is hard to compare but i thought i would throw my 2 cents in to the discussion.

Also thats why you must have 2 bikes!!! 1 to dune and the Banshee for the hill.
1987 Drag Banshee.

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

phx450
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by phx450 »

And to add more fuel to the fire whats done with the raptor and 8k? Turbo?

I would like to see that. it would be sweet. I think the guy was asking about a standard raptor.

But i like my banshee's chances against 98% of the raptors at the hill on any given weekend.
1987 Drag Banshee.

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

cvraptor
1st Gear Member

Post by cvraptor »

=D>
06 raptor 700r
roger

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

But i like my banshee's chances against 98% of the raptors at the hill on any given weekend.
I'll take the torque of my sweet riding rappy cruising through some sweeeeeet soft and loose sand from bowl to bowl over a hill race any day 8) mo power...no constant shifting.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Return to “ATV & Motorcycle”