Sand Tires

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

sandraptor
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Sand Tires

Post by sandraptor » Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:04 pm

I looking to buy my first set of sand tires for a raptor 03. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best set up front and back for both duning and hill climbing??

jchappy
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by jchappy » Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:25 pm

My buddy just bought a raptor too and he put a set of geckos on and he said they work great. he got his tires from http://www.recreationtires.com for about 170.00 to the door
I also have a set of geckos on my 400ex and they hook up really well.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who want things to happen, those that make things happen, and those who just wonder what the hell happened!

Jason Chappelear

D.U.N.E.R.

Desert_Rat
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Desert_Rat » Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:43 pm

If you like to cruise the dunes with easy turning paddles go with a V shaped paddle. Sand Skate II's will also give you the best traction in this type of paddle. If you want the best hookup for hill climbing and dragging go with a straight paddle like the Skat Track Hauler in at least the 8 paddle size. They are the lightest with tall paddles. They also make a taller hauler, but you won't need them unless you hop the raptor up a bunch. Your Raptor could probably handle 9 or 10 paddle regular hauler tire, espectially if the sand is soft. You have to use a little body english to make them turn. More if you want to turn donuts. Go with a front sand tire that has the middle rib all the way around in the larger size for better flotation. They turn better than the smooth buff ones. My two cents worth from an old boy that has been playing in the sand a long time.
Every day spent at the dunes adds two days to your life! Dune every other day and live forever!!!

sduncan
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by sduncan » Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:07 pm

They are expensive, but the best V- shaped tires available are Sand Skate 1's that are "comp grooved". Mount them on 10x9 wheels and you'll have an excellent setup for all purpose duning. They are light in weight, hook up very good, and corner with the best. GBC DuneTracker fronts are also a good choice and are very reasonably priced. Just another idea to chew on....

Desert_Rat
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Desert_Rat » Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:17 am

Got a deal for you. I have a set of Sand Skate II's that are 20x11x8 on douglas blue label rims. I'll sell you them for $100 plus shipping. The rims have both honda and yamaha bolt patterns. One tire has a small nick in about three paddles and the other one is perfect. No leaks or plugs. Rims are in good shape. These sell for around $200 or more new.
Every day spent at the dunes adds two days to your life! Dune every other day and live forever!!!

dunes56
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by dunes56 » Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:21 pm

If your main purpose at the dunes is shooting the hills then go with straights, but if you have plans to do much bowling definatley get some edges, straights SUCK when it comes to high speed turning.

Robert :D
Addicted to the Sand!!

Dune On!!

sandraptor
1st Gear Member

Post by sandraptor » Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:45 pm

The Sand Skates and the Sand Sharks look pretty much like the same tire but the Sharks are way cheaper. Are there any negitives about the Sharks??

sandraptor
1st Gear Member

Post by sandraptor » Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:50 pm

Anybody else have Gecko's on their bike?? They look like they would be a versatile tire to use.

Return to “ATV & Motorcycle”