Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

FunRunner
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Type 1V exhaust leaks

Post by FunRunner »

Any Type 1V experts out there who have tips on installing exhaust w/o leaks; the copper rings under the heads are not sealing correctly and we are experiencing leaking and popping on deceleration; when installing new gaskets, we have not eliminated the problem; seems like a mickey set up; any additional gasket tips?

Sandemon
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Sandemon »

Rodger, Have you checked to make sure the mounting surfaces are flat and square, Do you carry the hex nuts for the exaust flanges (looks like a long tube, threaded on one side allen head on the other) :?: :twisted: 8)
The ORIGINAL Sandemon
Member of D.U.N.E.R.
Go Hard or Go HomePick Up Your Trash

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

John, yes, we pulled the bottom set of pipes back off: one side had touched and mated, but the other hadn't. We compared the old pipe to the new and reinstalled the old set. After hours of struggle, we got the leak stopped. It's a bum set-up for sealing with the Tri Mil header. The tube type allen nuts you mention, we've had before, but we didn't use them in this case. I'm not sure if the lack of room to work would allow to get the allen type nuts tight enough, if I follow what you are saying; anyway, we did get the leak stopped, and for the 1st time since I've had the car, the idle sounds even. The next decision is to decide whether to rebuild this engine this summer, or go to something different; I have a customer who wants to purchase the car and that would be a consideration also, although getting another car ready for October, I'd need to get one ordered soon; I'll probably pull the engine and have it gone through. Thanks for the response John; I didn't really think I'd get anybody that quickly to respond.

SANDMANIAC
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by SANDMANIAC »

Roger..what ended up being the problem?..the gasket or that stud Marty was replacing?..
Jose Solis
ASA/BRC/NRA Member and Supporter

Return to “SandRail • Jeep • OffRoad Vehicle”