Car Craft Turbo running out of gas

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

c4morgan
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Car Craft Turbo running out of gas

Post by c4morgan »

I just had my motor redone by Car Craft with a Turbo. It was fully re-built with a Turbo (2332 motor). First time out the car would stop running if I was on the gas hard in 3th gear for ~10 sec's. Took it back to CC and they changed for fuel pressure to 2 3/4 (from 2 1/2), adjusted the float bowl and changed to a larger fuel filter.

Has anyone else had this type of issue with the Turbo motor?? Also what is the highest you can run the fuel pressure at...

Sand Commander
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Sand Commander »

I haven't worked on a VW in so long I can not remember the fuel pressure. I have a fuel pressure gauge on my rail so I could dial in the fuel pressure to the maximum for my motor. They are not expensive and they are a great tuning aid. Just T-off the fuel line and screw one in. It will also tell you if your fuel filter is clogging and causing a drop in pressure. If the fuel filter is too small it will restrict your fuel flow. Also any bends in the fuel hose will also drop the fuel pressure. Keep 45 or 90 degree fittings to a minimum. Also I have noticed some people run a larger hose from the tank through the pre-pump filter to the pump. Then a smaller diameter hose from there. I had to go to a 200 PSI pump to maintain 60 PSI at the regulator on my buggy. I run two filters, one before the pump and another finer filter before the injectors so I needed a lot of PSI on the pump.

Look at it this way, now you know how to adjust the fuel pressure on your motor.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

porboy
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by porboy »

I had a similiar problem with mine. You need to make sure that your fuel pressure regulator has a vent hole. If not the motor will starve for gas due to the vaccume and boost created by the turbo.. If you are using the regulator that car craft sells you should see a small hole on the upper portion of the regulator possibly in the back. If in doubt give them a call and ask them.

c4morgan
1st Gear Member

Post by c4morgan »

Thanks for the info. I do not see a hole, unless it is in the back next to the doghouse. There is a line T connector with one line running to the boost gauge and another running to the Turbo, I assume this is not the vent hole.. I will call CarCraft to discuss. The fuel pressure gauge/regulator was installed as part of the Turbo from them. The gauge has a set screw in the top also.

porboy
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by porboy »

Yes, the hole is usually in the back by the doghouse. On some regulators they put a groove down the set screw so pressure/air can escape. I had to do both.

c4morgan
1st Gear Member

Post by c4morgan »

Did you have to modify the regulator? I talked to CC they stated that it has a vent hole in the back. Did you modify with vent hole and screw vent? If so how?[/img]

Glamisman
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Glamisman »

I do not believe that it is a pressure problem but a volume problem... there might not be enough fuel coming out of the tank (too small of a outlet fitting) or the fuel pump might not be up to the task.
Last edited by Glamisman on Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TEMPORARY INSANITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by TEMPORARY INSANITY »

You might want to check the gas cap vent to see if it is plugged or stuck; simple as it sounds, this can cause the problem that you're having. :idea:
Larry Linkins
O3' Funco Gen 3.5 W/90 HP Subaru

WEAR WRIST RESTRAINTS!
The hand you save may be yours!!

donsbusbox
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by donsbusbox »

happens to me about every 4th time out. TIME TO CLEAN THE FUeL FILTER AGAIN! Those stone type filters work TOOOOOOOOOO good, but I'm glad I have it! Check that

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by OBSESSED »

donson wrote:happens to me about every 4th time out. TIME TO CLEAN THE FUeL FILTER AGAIN! Those stone type filters work TOOOOOOOOOO good, but I'm glad I have it! Check that
Ain't that the truth!
I had to clean it every trip-every trip! On both rails-PIA Big time.
So I switched to a less efficient filter, go figure that!

Another issue might be the one way valve [OWV]. On a CC system, the OWV senses vacuum and boost. Under boost, the fuel pump by passes the fuel regular and pumps the total amount of fuel that the fuel pump will pump to the carb. If you are running out of fuel, check this also.

You are running a high volume race type pump [RE: Holly Red] aren't you?

My less than perfect fuel filter is letting sand clog my one way valve, once in a great while. I use rubbing Alcohol to clean it. I drop it into a 79 cents bottle and shake it. You will see micro pieces of sand. I also clean my jets this way.

One last thing, how old is your fuel line?
Unless they are Teflon lined and expensive you should change out your lined [at least] every 3-4 years, unless you drain out your fuel after every trip. I just replaced the lines on my wife's rail, black stuff was getting by the filter, wait a minute I thought that looks like rubber! :oops:
Maybe now her idle jets won't clog?

Good luck, Ed will be out at Glamis this weekend, I am sure he would/could find your issue in less than a minute.

He'll be up at Osborne Overlook.

S
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

railcrzy
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by railcrzy »

I just took my brand new cc 2275 turbo out and it seems i have the same issue.

It ran hard and WOW fast throught the gears. :lol:

However after being in fourth for a few seconds and then nailing it, it would wake up for a second or 2 then just sounded like it ran out of gas. :shock:

A guy out there with a huge desert car said it sounds like possible Vent cap problem.

He said if u get all the power for a short distance, and stay on it then it bogs, its not venting enough to allow the fuel to flow.

Ill talk to the boys and work it out. :wink:

But what a fun motor. :D

CC has always been good to deal, im sure well figure it out.
Go Hard or Go Home!

Larry
http://WWW.ROOFSBYBAKER.COM

Return to “SandRail • Jeep • OffRoad Vehicle”