!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SandRail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

James9r9r
1st Gear Member

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SandRail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by James9r9r »

Ok im thinking about buying this and have never messed with buggy's/Rails Here's the pics and im wondering how you would mount the motor ?

It says it comes with 2 Trannys and a VW 1600 Dual Port

Is the thing home built or have you seen this kind before ?

What does it seems it will need to be drive able ?

Thanks please reply ASAP!

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!SandRail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by LoBuck »

Welcome to the board James9r9r. =D>

That is definitely home built and looks a bit dangerous to me. The motor mounts facing the rear between the rear tires in the 2nd picture. Looks like someone tried to mount it in the passenger seat in the 4th pic. :wink: :mrgreen:

I'd say 'keep looking'.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

James9r9r
1st Gear Member

Post by James9r9r »

But does it look like it would be a good rider ?

And you say it looks a bit dangerous what seems dangerous about it ? srry im kinda new to these.

Does it seem the motor mounts are there and the motor that is sitting in the passenger seat will mount right up without any fabrication ?

Thanks please reply ASAP! :mrgreen:

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sloppyduner »

Sorry I gotta pipe in here. First off welcome to the board James. Some Jackhole has made up a site that deals with questions just like the ones you have. Try Below10K.com The ASA has more expereance within it than anyone can shake a stick at, but the true lovers of the old rails are on that site.

I'd have to see more pix of it but I would say off the bat if its free take it, If you have the room, but be ready to dump some cash into it.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by crash »

:shock:

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

Excuse me...I'm gonna have fun with this. Once/If you get it home
Soak every thing metal in WD/40
Take it down to the bare frame.
Look it over good for cracks
Save bunches of money
Take 1600 apart and rebuild if it needs it or not
Rebuild tranny if it needs it or not
Buy a bunch of wires (see Below10K for diagram)
Buy new seats
Buy new harnesses
Buy new pretty much everything.
The paddle tires alone are going to set you back $500 at least.

Where you at? I would like to follow the progress of this car as my car isn't getting much done to it and its funner watching some one else turn wrenches on stuff they bought with their money.

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

crash wrote: :shock:
Crash, most of us know what you are going to say, but I think it needs to be said for James' sake.
I don't know much about this stuff, but in review of the pics, I would not buy it. [-(
So, crash, let er rip! :wink:
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

crash

Post by crash »

All I'm gonna say is this:

James, if you really are considering this for a DUNE/SAND machine, you need to hold off and look around a little more so as you realize exactly what you're looking at there. Trust me, unless this guy sends this to the scrap yard, he will still have it in a year or so. If you're gonna buy this to just tootle around the farm land with like you would one of those Chinese go carts, fine, whatever. Although I think the Chinese go kart would be a better option. As stated by others, this will require quite a bit of work and money to get running. If it was as simple as bolting up the engine and putting gas in it, the current owner woulda done it.

And now I'm

(this should be a "shutting up" emoti, but apparently they are not working)

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER »

James9r9r wrote:Ok im thinking about buying this and have never messed with buggy's/Rails Here's the pics and im wondering how you would mount the motor ?

What does it seems it will need to be drive able ?

Thanks please reply ASAP!
Sorry Pal, you are a day late for April Fool's Day! =D>

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

I'll be honest with you...That things is plain SCARY. Clearly this is a home built "chasis". It's so bad I hate even calling it a chasis...sorry, but that's the truth. Square tubing?? Un-reinforced. No radius in the roof. The entire rear cage looks bent to the right? Unsupported roof. It would not take much for the roof to collapse on the occupants. I would never allow any family or friends to ride in that contraption. Run, don't walk, away from that thing !
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

Oh day-um I didn't see the tweeked back end. NOT a good sign. [-X
Major damage to the frame, the frame being bout the best thing going on that car I'd say PASS.

Square tubing doesn't make it a bad frame. I know of two cars that have been running for over 20 years with square tubing. Lots of 4X4's crawlers and such are still built with square tubing.

But this thing? Ya I'd look other places. Like Crash said this one will still be there if you can't find something else.

What ya got to work with $$$$?

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Square "tubing" just doesn't have the strength of regular tubing unless it's much larger (like a frame on a truck) and even then it can be troublesome:

ImageImage

But for a roll cage you need the strength of real tubing. And that box section this thing is made out of looks smaller than the tubing that would normally be used. VERY weak. Just look at how tweaked it is in the back, sure sign that trouble is brewing.

There are no motor mounts on a VW BTW. The motor just hangs off the transmission with four bolts. Those tubes below are where you could attach a motor cage to protect the motor.

Even if it was free I can only thing of one way to fix that buggy. In the words of Dr. Julius Hibbert "Fire! Lots of it!"

crash

Post by crash »

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SQUARE TUBING!! As long as the forces on it are only bi-directional. It also makes construction MUCH easier. The benefit of round tubing is that it distributes the load and deals with multi-directional forces better due to no corners to concentrate stresses. In the picture that Jason has there, it is being used in the correct application, but the lack of any upper tubes concentrates ALL the loads the front end recieves on that small section of tube and the weld. The guy would probably have been better off without that cross piece in there as the frame would have been more flexible. My buddy found this out the hard way when he added power steering to his M38 Jeep and then started cracking the frame. He had the Jeep for YEARS and didn't have any frame problems until he added support for a power steering box. Sometimes a tight, stiff frame is not what is wanted, and sometimes, as in the picture above, people don't know what they are doing. :)

James9r9r
1st Gear Member

Post by James9r9r »

Yes they are asking $500 I don't have a lot of money and just want something to ding around with ?

Anyways are there better thing avaiable for $500 ?

Thanks How much would you think its worth how it is ?

crash

Post by crash »

I bought my first buggy, a Manx, for $500 about 20 years ago and was able to drive it home. Not saying you will find this today, but if the guy would take $200, the engine and tranny are OK, and you have some time and expertise in order to be able to make it run that would probably be OK. Heck the $500 would be OK if the engine and tranny are OK, but most likely they are not.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Dude, bottom line...It wouldn't be worth it if the guys was going to GIVE it to you. Crash is feeding you hope for some reason. #-o
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

r erfert
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by r erfert »

I've been known to build a car or two :lol:
Parts are parts
On that note
I see about 100/200 worth of parts if they are salvageable
salvageable being the key word here.....
The frame ( IF you can call it that ) [-X Death trap comes to mind.....
Better safe than sorry when it comes to the OOPS #-o

I'd say get it BUT only if you could get it for free or $100 if you can use the parts on another quality frame.
If your interested in getting into the sand, Everyone has to start somewhere.

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

Ok im thinking about buying this and have never messed with buggy's
James... Just say NO!

Since you have never messed with buggy's then I say don't start here, unless it is free-eeee-eeeee.

It'll take months to make it right...

It'll take years to get rust off...

No...No...
No

Maybe, free-eee-eee and brought to your house for in free!

Steve
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

MR. PETE
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MR. PETE »

You know, we've all heard stories of people buying junk at a garage sale and later finding out that they've obtained a rare treasure worth big $$'s.

Well on that note, take a good look at that frame design... the graceful curved roof...

I could be wrong, but is it possible that this could very well be the lost prototype of the first Funco sand rail ever made sometime circa 1970?

Maybe Grant could help verify this.

Do some research, but keep it to yourself until you have verified it's origin.

If it's not the lost prototype - then I would humbly suggest that you run as fast as you can in the opposite direction of where it is - eventually you will recover from the emotion of leaving this deal behind, but someday in the future you will be so glad you did.

:wink:

James9r9r
1st Gear Member

Post by James9r9r »

What do you mean Lost prototype ?

what kind could it be ?

crash

Post by crash »

Come on guys. Don't mess with him. He doesn't get your jokes. He's a new guy.

Do you mean to tell me that if that 1600 and the tranny both are in good condition that there aren't people that would find $500 for both reasonable? I sure would. I bought a Type 4 tranny for $300 not too long ago and thought I got a great deal even though I had to replace the synchros.

Now I'm not saying this is a good deal, as I believe there are probably major issues in either or both the engine and/or tranny, but I was speaking hypothetically. I don't know that I would even take what is there for free unless there was some proof of the engine and tranny being OK. Basically I'm saying that that's all that's there that may be worth anything, and how much is very questionable. The front end MAY be usable, but since we can't really see it, who knows.

I guess some of you took my posts in too positive of a light.

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

I'd be interested to see what the front looks like. Almost looks like its being hidden from us. You know just to see. Still don't think he should buy it, but I'd like to see what's go'n on up there.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

Welcome to the ASA James9r9r. I'm not a buggy guy, but it appears that the guys are giving you some good advice to stay away from this piezza. Probably from past experience. Don't know what your budget is, but http://www.craigslist.com has some buggies in the $1200-$1800 range that you could probably drive right away and could start wrenching and modifying as time goes on. Just a thought :wink:
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

crash wrote: Do you mean to tell me that if that 1600 and the tranny both are in good condition that there aren't people that would find $500 for both reasonable? I sure would. I bought a Type 4 tranny for $300 not too long ago and thought I got a great deal even though I had to replace the synchros.
Well it's a swing axle...so even if it's good it's still about the worst possible tranny you could have. And based on the rest of the car I highly doubt that there aren't serious issues with the trannies and motor. I doubt they'd be including two good trannies for that price so I'm assuming that at least one is a basket case.

FWIW I bought a baja for $300 a few years ago. Swing axle in it was ok and the guy drove it into the space it was in when I bought it but told me the motor was knocking when he parked it. I got it home, fired it up...and it ran for about 30 seconds before seizing a main bearing. The car had a rotted out door jam on the passenger side, and had been used/abused pretty hard. But was still driveable. I bought it figuring the tranny was worth $300 to me as a spare if nothing else. I ended up keeping what was salvageable from the motor and selling the rest for $200. So there are deals out there if you're patient.

If I didn't need the $200 more than I needed a project I could have rebuilt the motor. $50 for bearings, $200 for a set of pistons (Had to smash two to get the case apart since the crank was siezed), $150 for a crank (the one that seized was beyond being machined) and probably another $50 worth of miscellaneous gaskets and sealers. But I just couldn't justify spending that much to put together a motor that I knew would be underpowered for that car...and going bigger on a VW was just going to be even more expensive and less reliable. Putting one of my 2.3's in would have required an adapter/flywheel ($300), radiator and hoses, fuel pump and some other goodies...still more than I spent on the car and just not worth it for me.

Frankly unless you have a garage or shed full of VW parts they just don't make economic sense to me at this point in time. If you have enough parts on hand that you could build a motor or two for free ... then VW's may make sense still. But I sure wouldn't suggest starting with one if you're on a budget at this point.

James9r9r
1st Gear Member

Post by James9r9r »

Well the guy said theres 2 extra Trans so theres 3 Trannys total and he said the motor ran when he pulled it and garaged it... Why would he pull it in the first place ? :|

He said theres not much I would have to do to get it running but hook up a clutch cable,Throttle, And brakes ?

Should I get it ?

Thanks

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Should I get it ?

knock, knock...

who's there?...

don't...

don't who?

Don't buy it!

BTW Crash..the pictures of the tranny and motor speak a 1000 words...clapped out :!:
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

r erfert
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by r erfert »

James9r9r wrote:Well the guy said theres 2 extra Trans so theres 3 Trannys total and he said the motor ran when he pulled it and garaged it... Why would he pull it in the first place ? :|

He said theres not much I would have to do to get it running but hook up a clutch cable,Throttle, And brakes ?

Should I get it ?
Not quite yet....Tell the seller you want more pictures
One closer motor picture (becuase it looks like a 6 volt generator) and the motor could really be a 1500 OR Worse a 40 horse....either way it looks like a single port motor and an older one at that, Probably a 1500cc (what are the engine munbers on the case just under the generator stand??)
condition unknown Trannies are worth $50EA But if the trans is good you only need one.

Is the VW Pan still intact?? (Have a title) You can always change the design if the VW pan is still in good shape.

Pictures are for referance I paid $400 for this blue buggy one with an 1835cc VW motor in a basket.
$1000 later a different motor and a ton of time it looks like the yellow picture.
Attachments
ASA blue buggy.jpg
(216.25 KiB) Downloaded 755 times
old school 3 final.jpg
(218.3 KiB) Downloaded 747 times

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

James9r9r wrote: Should I get it ?
IF you have been looking for months and months and this is the only rail you've found in your budget and . . .

IF you are extremely mechanically inclined and good with a welder and . . .

IF you have nothing but time on your hands and . . .

IF you have other places to scrounge the parts you're obviously going to need and . . .

IF you're willing to spend months trying to get this thing running then . . .

You might have a good reason to consider offering the guy a hundred bucks or so for it. Otherwise I think you'd be foolish to consider it any further.

I recommend being patient and keep looking for the deal that feels really good. Don't rush into buying something that might take a whole season to try to get running when there's likely a better rail for a better price just waiting for you to find it.

James9r9r
1st Gear Member

Post by James9r9r »

Well I asked him who built the frame here's his reply

(the frame was built by my friend who took second in state and is now in texas for underwater welding so i would say semi-professional (professional)
thank you)

He said the reason he pulled the motor is because the valves needed to be adjusted. Also said he was wanting to put 350 rods and pistons into it and run dual carbs ?

Anyways he say it wont take barely anything to have it going

I will get more pictures and post them here.

This is all I can find on craigslist

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Frame may be welded well, but that doesn't mean it's designed well.

No reason to pull the motor to adjust valves, it's a 10 minutes job that just takes a 13mm wrench and a flat head screwdriver.

If the motor is that close to running ask him to fire it up, Like I said before it's only 4 bolts to re-install it and should be about 2 wires.

But still - all you'd be buying is a low end motor that's going to cost too cost more and be less reliable in the long run and some trannies that are the worst option available...if they're in good shape.

There's also still the question of what the front end is like.

As said before, unless it's free it's not much of a deal. It may be the only thing you can find on craigslist but it's not the only thing out there. It may take some time but waiting for a better start is a MUCH better idea than buying this.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

I give up #-o
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

James9r9r
1st Gear Member

Post by James9r9r »

This is the only other thing I found around me on craigslist. It doesn't have a motor...

Are this just as fun as a sand rail ?

They are asking $950 for this without a motor.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

A manx like that can be just as fun - depending on it's condition :D Based on how the tires are sitting I'd say it's still a swing axle. And you'd still need some paddles if you wanted to get out in the sand (I drive my manx on mud tires but you have to be real good at picking lines to avoid getting stuck.)

Where are you located? I have a project that's not listed for sale anywhere here in Yuma, AZ. It's a fairly basic frame and I've got a swing axle and a 1600 VW motor to go with it. The 1600 needs a new cam installed, but I've got a cam for it. The frame has pivots and was running a bus tranny with a 2.3 Ford motor - so there's lots of room to improve. I plan on putting it all together and selling it in the $1,500 price range ... but if someone was interested I'd be willing to sell all of the parts for what I have into it (more than $500 but less than $1,000) one weekend and a week of evenings and it could be a running car - plus you'd get to learn the insides of a VW motor and learn how just about everything on the car goes together.

Have you checked thesamba.com, the classifieds on here and glamisdunes.com?

James9r9r
1st Gear Member

Post by James9r9r »

Im in Washington State but is there a way to freight it down to here ?

Thanks

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Unless you know someone heading that way (it can happen, I had 3 motors brought from Sacramento to the dunes free thanks to 3 different people who each carried them partway for me) it would probably cost more to freight than it would to buy.

Plus like I said it's in pieces. It would take more work to package it up for shipping than it would to just load it into someones pickup.

But if you start asking around up there you may find someone with a similar deal. Have you checked out blindchickenracing.com? They're up towards your neck of the woods and may have some ideas on where to find a local deal.

James9r9r
1st Gear Member

Post by James9r9r »

Ok well I think I have found what im going to buy

They are asking $1500 is that a good price ?

Also what brand is this ?

r erfert
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by r erfert »

James9r9r wrote:Ok well I think I have found what im going to buy

They are asking $1500 is that a good price ?

Also what brand is this ?
Looks like another home build....Round TUBING your getting closer =D>
$1500 for one picture and no parts description would be on the high side....looks almost like it was built off of a VW bus frame?
The Wide 5 rims in the front make it late 60'ies or older front end.....The smaller 5 lug rear pattern would tell me it has a wheel adapters in the rear.
If you would pay $1500 for it??
If it runs and drives OFFER the seller $1000
If the seller says no, meet him in the middle somewhere between $1000/$1500....
It doesnt cost you anything to ask
You see where I'm going with the offer....I'ts a buyers market

James9r9r
1st Gear Member

Post by James9r9r »

My budget is around $750 should I offer him that he says it needs to be rewired because there dogs ate the wiring ?

Thanks

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

James Im thinking there is something that you should know. Somebody may be able to back me, OR correct me if I'm wrong...

When you buy a budget rail be ready to spend as much as you bought it for to get it ready for what YOU plan to do with it. First thing that comes to mind is saftey. Older cars that have been sitting out should have stuff done like the harness replaced, new rubber, and like in this case wirering. Maybe not all this suff right away, but pretty soon.

I don't say this to discourage you but just to give you a heads up. IF your married, like I am, and get "permission" to buy a toy the boss says "OK but this is it!" theeen I gotta weasle out things like I mentioned above.

When I got my baja it was a great car for $1800 but to get it what I thought was ready for the dunes cost me another $1500. And I still killed it on its first trip to the dunes. I got my rail for a pretty good price. I had one trip to Glamis on it, and one trip on hard packed. That was in 2004. Its been sitting all this time getting worked on here and there when money is available. My quad...another great deal. buuut I need to "personalize it" I need a bigger tank, a 6-pac rack, some replacement motor mount bolts, little stuff that adds up.

Sooooo when you find a rail like the yellow one take the asking price then go over what it needs, add that up, and subtract it from the asking price.

Can you get more pix of the yellow rail? It looks a lot better then the black one.

James9r9r
1st Gear Member

Post by James9r9r »

All he says is that it needs rewired ?

r erfert
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by r erfert »

James9r9r wrote:All he says is that it needs rewired ?
IMO If it doesnt run It's not worth $1500

Hear it run and start the negotiations on price.

James9r9r
1st Gear Member

Post by James9r9r »

Well here's detailed pictures of the original one that I wanted to buy

What should I offer him ? Thanks

crash

Post by crash »

RUN RUN RUN FROM THIS!!!

DO NOT EVEN TAKE THIS OFF HIS HANDS FOR FREE!!

That engine MAY have run five years ago when he pulled it out, but I will just about gaurantee by looking at the port condition that the only thing this will be good for is a BOAT ANCHOR!

The front end is weak and welded into the frame, the tranny is NOT in good shape, and the frame is next to worthless.

I'd tell him $500 bucks, and you DON'T except checks. :wink:

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Told you pictures were worth a 1000 words.

Let's try reverse psychology...

Dude, that's a sweet rail...I'd say buy it before someone else snatches it up =P~
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

GB, don't beat yourself up over this :P :lol:

James9r9r we are going to commonly refer to you as Forest, Forest Gump. :lol: You buy that pile of crap (and yes sheought happens) and you will fill the shoes of Forest................stupid is, as stupid does #-o
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

r erfert
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by r erfert »

Sand rail NO :roll:
Parts yes
Parts list consist of.......a VW pan with a ball joint front end and some steering parts, a swing axle rear torsion housing with a swing axle transmission, a dual port motor, and a few tires.
Whats it worth??

The Front end IF not bent $50
The Vw Pan without a title??
The Swing axle transmisssion (sitting out in the rain/snow for years) $50 if good
The Dual port motor (guaranteed not to run for long) Sitting for years (condition before that unknown) becuase the previous owner took it out for a reason? $50 parts motor
The Rear tires look heavy IF under 5 years old?? $50
The rest of the parts are crap.......
Call it $250 in parts and a TON of cutting and reworking.
+ $1500/$2500 more money invested to make it look like anything you would feel safe in......

Final opinion and $ total....Not worth the money and time/trouble.
Save a few more dollars and find something else.

James9r9r
1st Gear Member

Post by James9r9r »

Well I have found another one but im sure it's outta my price range all it says is make offer...

My budget is about $700 - $750

Here it is

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

OK I'm aware of that whole "twelve days of Christmas", but I'm pretty sure April fools day is just that...A DAY.

OK Heres another way you MIGHT want to go about this. Take the $750 you have now and just start buying parts. Start with a decent type one trans and a pair of shocks. Put those away. When you get some more money next thing to buy would be a nice motor. So when you get up to $1000 start looking for a good VW motor you can have the seller start up. Then go stash that. THEN save up say $400 and buy some seats. You know what I just got some really cool hand me down seats. I'll have an old set I'LL GIVE to you when the time comes for you to put them in.

Grab a Sands Sport magazine and go to the Pacific Customs ads and start a wish list with stuff like
Switch box
Steering shaft
Steering wheel
Rims
Tires
Whip mount
Shocks
Axles
front beam
R&P unit
Tie Rods
throttle cable
Clutch cable
Pedal assembly
turning brake
lights
Harnesses
running lights
air filters
The prices are right there. This is all stuff you would need if you were to buy either of the first two cars. This is just some of the stuff you would need if you were to just find a useable frame.

Maybe you can start with the stuff you know you'll need, and pick it up before you pick up the frame.

r erfert
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by r erfert »

Sloppyduner wrote:OK I'm aware of that whole "twelve days of Christmas", but I'm pretty sure April fools day is just that...A DAY.

OK Heres another way you MIGHT want to go about this. Take the $750 you have now and just start buying parts. Start with a decent type one trans and a pair of shocks. Put those away. When you get some more money next thing to buy would be a nice motor. So when you get up to $1000 start looking for a good VW motor you can have the seller start up. Then go stash that. THEN save up say $400 and buy some seats. You know what I just got some really cool hand me down seats. I'll have an old set I'LL GIVE to you when the time comes for you to put them in.

Grab a Sands Sport magazine and go to the Pacific Customs ads and start a wish list with stuff like
Switch box
Steering shaft
Steering wheel
Rims
Tires
Whip mount
Shocks
Axles
front beam
R&P unit
Tie Rods
throttle cable
Clutch cable
Pedal assembly
turning brake
lights
Harnesses
running lights
air filters
The prices are right there. This is all stuff you would need if you were to buy either of the first two cars. This is just some of the stuff you would need if you were to just find a useable frame.

Maybe you can start with the stuff you know you'll need, and pick it up before you pick up the frame.
All good advice But, yes I have a different take on your dilema :lol:
In todays market I would seriously save the money (bank it get that :roll: :roll: 1.25% interest) and keep an eye out for a deal......
You know :shock: The one where the guys wife sells off his belongings before the divorce is final........Or wants a new Movado Ring :D
You could also Check out Ebay for a car in your area?

James9r9r
1st Gear Member

Post by James9r9r »

The guy with this one said he will not take less then $300 for it

And the guy with this one said he will knock off $500 and take $1000 for it

I have found this Baja Bug for $550 O.B.O

I think this last one the "Baja Bug" is my best bet to buy ?

here's what the guy told me about the Baja Bug

"They guy I got it from left it sitting outside and the muffler let water down into the engine. He pulled the motor and cleaned it out. Then left it on the shop floor for about a year. He put it back in and covered the pipe this time and then lost interest in it.

I got it to tinker with but I just don't have the time now to work on it. I put a battery in it and turned it over to make sure the motor wasn't locked up. But I couldn't get it to start. But I'm no mechanic.

Here is a list of the parts I came up with. Some you won't need to put it back on the road.

Windshield (that is the only glass that is broken)
Inner door and rear side panels.
Hood latch (they are the rubber baja one's)
Windshield wipers
Upper motor mount bolt. (he said it's missing one on the top)
Battery
Plugs
Front seats are the dune buggy type.
one Brake line is bad (not sure which one. He told me that's why the brakes didn't work)

Window regulators."

Return to “SandRail • Jeep • OffRoad Vehicle”