Lexus V8 with 091 transmission

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Z.R.T
1st Gear Member

Lexus V8 with 091 transmission

Post by Z.R.T »

Ok.. i`ll start with explaining what i have...
I am actually building sandrail with Rear engine.. i `ll use Lexus V8 (4000 cc, 191 kW (256 hp), torque of 353 N·m (260 ft·lbf)) which is used for Lexus Ls400. Currently I have a 091 transmission, but am not sure if its a stock one , or its a rebuilt one or modified.

Can this transimission handle the engine?
So, if anyone can help me by telling me how much the stock 091 transmission can handle?
How can i know if it is modified 091 transmission?

Attached is a pic of my transmission
Attachments
Transmission 2
Transmission 2
Transmission 1
Transmission 1

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Lexus V8 with 091 transmission

Post by crash »

Short answer is. If you are gentle, YES.

If you are not gentle and know how to drive off road you can grenade a Mendeola with a 1600 attached to it.

From what I understand, 091s are pretty strong.

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy »

3 things to consider. :? How much will the car ultimately weigh? What size tires are you planning on running? Will you get this car airborne? The torque of a V8 is what will cause the demise of this trans...Big tires will speed up the process... Make sure the ring and pinion are tire size appropriate...Pinning it through the whoops will grenade it in a hurry... It'll hold up, but you can't drive it like you stole it..

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

A stock 091 tranny is not an appropriate set up combination with that motor IMO. If the 091 is fully built, you'll be able to get close. Especially if you are pretty moderate on laying down the peddle.

Like Crash said, you can grenade any tranny if you try hard enough. There are so many variables to consider. My basic feeling is if you want to drive "normal" for offroaders, you'll need a bigger tranny unless you want to pull it and rebuild it a couple times a year.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

donsbusbox
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by donsbusbox »

A stock 091 will handle about 100 HP IF the bearings are any good. If the bearings are bad the ring and pinion will go quick and then you don't have much left. Adding Weddle gears, superdiff and new bearings kicks it up to 300 HP and I have LOTS of Honda's, Subies and small V8's running to prove it. My Honda 3.5 dyno's 265 at the rear wheels and I've been trying to break it for 2 seasons. I will be putting new bearings in it this summer. The pinion and mainshaft bearings are the weak spot. The only way you can know if it's modified is to open it up. My Pro Max 091 is $2600 with a core, $3200 outright. Hope that helps!

--------------------

Don Johnson
donsbusbox.com
VW Performance Trans
602-670-0192
ASA AZ Events Chairman
Owner Don's Bus Box
VW Performance Trans

Z.R.T
1st Gear Member

Post by Z.R.T »

Thanks you guys for your advice..

Iwas trying not to invest on changing the transmission cuz i already have it.. otherwise i would go to Mendeola 2D.. but i was thinking of installing other engine...

I have in mind the Nissan SR20DET which has (151 kW (202 HP) @ 6000 rpm 202 ft·lbf @ 4000 rpm ) at its maximum.. do you see it going to work with this transmission?

looking for your feedback guyss...

crash

Post by crash »

Well, like I said, you can make anything work if you drive it right.

Donsbusbox should pretty much be the guy you listen to here as he probably has the most real world experience, and he has already said 100 HP is it in stock form. Really after his post I don't think there was a whole lot more to say. It's really up to you whether you take his advice or not.

Return to “SandRail • Jeep • OffRoad Vehicle”