Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Limit Straps

Post by Vincent J Brunasso »

When I bought my buggy, there were no limit straps on the rear. I asked around and got 2 opposing views.

Some said the shocks limit the travel with no damage (as long as the CVs were OK with it) and some said that it was not a good idea and sooner or later, the shocks would be damaged. I didn't like the noise I was hearing, so I bought limit straps - rather safe than sorry.

Then the question became how long a strap to buy. I am told to buy them short because they stretch and to allow 1" per 1 foot of strap.

Fully extended, the strap bolts are 35.5" apart. OK, I thought, I'll give up 3" of travel until they stretch to the correct length (there's no adjusters). I bought 32" straps.

Here I am 3 seasons later and they have stretched only .5" which means I'm giving up 2.5" of travel.

I know that I can't expect to hit it right on, but I think I can do better. The car definitely performs better with that extra bit of travel.

Any suggestions will be welcomed.
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Doc
Website Admin
Website Admin

Re: Limit Straps

Post by Doc »

Vincent J Brunasso wrote:When I bought my buggy, there were no limit straps on the rear. I asked around and got 2 opposing views.

Some said the shocks limit the travel with no damage (as long as the CVs were OK with it) and some said that it was not a good idea and sooner or later, the shocks would be damaged. I didn't like the noise I was hearing, so I bought limit straps - rather safe than sorry.

Then the question became how long a strap to buy. I am told to buy them short because they stretch and to allow 1" per 1 foot of strap.

Fully extended, the strap bolts are 35.5" apart. OK, I thought, I'll give up 3" of travel until they stretch to the correct length (there's no adjusters). I bought 32" straps.

Here I am 3 seasons later and they have stretched only .5" which means I'm giving up 2.5" of travel.

I know that I can't expect to hit it right on, but I think I can do better. The car definitely performs better with that extra bit of travel.

Any suggestions will be welcomed.

You probably are not getting to where you need them so that is why they have not stretched. Probably not getting the car off the ground enough to utilize the limit straps.

Solution = buy new shorter limit straps.

Vincent J Brunasso

I am definitely off the ground - the noise it makes when the shocks bottom out is unmistakable.
Vincent J. Brunasso

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

PWR MAD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by PWR MAD »

Do you have the adjusters on them? If not, they really help a lot and will give you the extra length needed (leaving that comment alone :mrgreen: )

They have several different types to fit everything from single to triple style mounts, I used the spring loaded ones to stop the clanking noise when the straps get pulled taught. :wink:

Pacific Customs is where I got mine:
adjustable clevis.JPG
adjustable clevis.JPG (9 KiB) Viewed 4705 times
Limit Strap Adjuster <---Clicky

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jhitesma »

I believe the stretch factor isn't a static stretch but rather a dynamic stretch.

Meaning that they stretch when they're under load not when at rest. If they're stretched .5" when at rest then they're probably stretching considerably more when under load.

But it depends on where they're mounted, how heavy the weight they're supporting is, how long they are......

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

First of all, yes you do need them, especially on the back, because there is so much weight being unloaded on the shocks when the rear end leaves the ground.

Second, I messed around with different length straps for a couple seasons. I never could get it dialed in to balance maximum axle angle and maximum travel, especially when you calculate in the stretch factor (which varies by length, width, manufacture, etc).

Finally, two seasons ago, I had the adjuster's pictured above by Pwr mad, mounted on my car. I spent about $100 total to have the mounts welded on and the adjusters themselves (my fabricator had a used set sitting around). It was money well spent. I don't like my max cv angle to be more than 23 degrees at full droop, so I'm continently checking it, and adjusting it, because the straps do stretch over time.

Do yourself, and your buggy, a big favor and mount the adjusters.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Vincent J Brunasso

I don't have adjusters. I'll be checking out the local hardware spots this weekend to see if I can come up with some sort of combination that will work.
Vincent J. Brunasso

--Thomas Jefferson

PWR MAD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by PWR MAD »

I'll try to get some pictures, but my buddy and I just used a piece of thick wall tubing and welded it to the chassis where all the bracing is. Works great and easy to tighten up if needed.

Odyknuck
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Odyknuck »

Offroad Engineering offers both the adjusters and 2" long tubes to weld to your frame. The shorter the strap the better. Long ones will streach more and tend to bounce around and need to be strapped in so they don't get tangled up in something.

Return to “SandRail • Jeep • OffRoad Vehicle”