Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Booga-dune-poon
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Leaking Push Rod Tubes - Repair

Post by Booga-dune-poon »

Symptom: Oil leaking from bottom / back side of cylinder heads.

Diagnosis: Push rod tubes not exerting enough pressure on seals to prevent oil from leaking. Perhaps too many thermal cycles of expansion and contraction have taken the "spring" out of the stock type push rod tubes.

Treatment: Install after market design "spring" type push rod tubes (Jay Cee brand) with dual o-rings. In the "good 'ol days" you'd have to remove the cylinder heads and install the stock type push rod tubes and hope for a lasting repair. With the "spring" type tubes, the repair can happen with the heads left in place.

Victum: VW 1914cc engine

Clean up the bottom of the engine to remove all dirt, sand and contamination. This is very important as you will expose the inside of your engine case and cylinder head from the adjacent filthy bottom of the motor when the old push rod tubes are removed. I used a dull pocket knife, old tooth brush and compressed air nozzle to blow everything loose away. Using a flashlight and stucking my head at point blank to inspect everything before I was convinced it was ok to start removal.

Remove the valve covers, rocker arms and push rods. Be sure to keep your push rods oriented to the assigned rocker arms. These things have worn in and they are now a matched set. Then set them aside for clean up and re-assembly later.

Just bend and twist the old push rod tubes until they shorten up enough to pull free and away.

Assemble the new spring type push rod tubes. Double check the insides to ensure no dirt. Install the two o-rings. Use a little oil to coat the inside of the tube and apply a little on the o-rings. Install the spring and push the two halves together. A large flat washer is used to support the seal on one end.

Kevin

Booga-dune-poon
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Re: Leaking Push Rod Tubes - Repair

After all the old tubes are removed, carefully clean up the sealing faces on the engine case and cylinder heads.
Install the first replacement tube in the position farthest from your working position. It is recommended to place the springs closest to the engine case.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Clean up your rocker arms, push rods and re-install them to the matching locations.

Now would be the perfect time to adjust the valve clearances. Inspect the valve cover seals, clean as necessary and install the covers.

The old saying goes: A VW that doesn't leak oil must be out of oil.

Hopeully I won't be leaking from the push rod tubes anymore!

I'll do a follow up post after the next dune trip.
Kevin

PWR MAD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by PWR MAD »

Thanks for the memories, seems like just about every other trip out the valves needed adjusting and the push rod tubes needed to be checked =D>

Booga-dune-poon
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Just got back from Gordons Well. Ran the buggy three days. Zero leaks from the push rod tubes.
Now I've got to do something about the valve covers and sand seal on the crankshaft pulley.
VW's, you either love them or hate them.
Kevin

PWR MAD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by PWR MAD »

Booga-dune-poon wrote:VW's, you either love them or hate them.
I couldn't agree more :wink:

Return to “SandRail • Jeep • OffRoad Vehicle”