Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Truck factory options/packages ??

Post by nats-fj40 »

OK, getting ready to upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck, (leaning towards a F250, Crew cab, short bed, 4X4, Diesel).
Need help deciding which options/packages are necessary or just "eye candy". I don't plan on any outragous lift to this truck.

XLT includes the tow package, gotta have tinted windows and cloth seats, (It's supposed to hit 112 today in Brawley!)

FX4 package?
Camper package or Heavy duty suspension ?

Need some opinions on what ya use in your trucks and what you found you could live without.
Jon B.
KG6NLC

quad1100
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by quad1100 »

I just bought the GMC 2500HD, the things I really like are

- XM radio (Don't have to change the station the whole way)
- Dual zone climate control (Let her set her side to what ever she likes!)
- Rear seat audio control and head phones for the kids
- Automatic Memory seats (Don't have to adjust the seat every time)
- Power extending mirrors

- Diesel / Allison
- Rear locking diff
- Tow package
- Long bed (34 gallon tank)

I'm sure there is more, but those are the things that stick out.

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by nats-fj40 »

Ok, that's a start, XM radio does sound interesting, but I don't think it's a Ford factory option, may be a dealer thing tho?
Limited slip is in the package, not as good as a Locker, but this isn't my offroad toy, Thats what the land cruiser is for.
Dual climate control would be nice.....I always freeze out my daughter. :roll:
Jon B.
KG6NLC

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by BHenry »

I believe Ford offers the Sirius system.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

Loser1

Post by Loser1 »

nats-fj40,

I don't think the towing pkg includes the hitch itself (as wierd as it sounds). I think the hitch option is ~$150. You might also want to consider the towing mirrors. They're telescopic, slide in and out so you can see behind the trailer with ease. Also, the price difference between the 250 & 350 is ~$700. You might want to take a look at the 350 for it's extra payload.

Just some ideas,

Mike

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by nats-fj40 »

Yes it is very strange that the hitch is not part of the tow package. What are them people thinking. Tow mirrors should also be part of it but it isn't!
I'm really curious about the differences between the "Camper Package" and the "Heavy Duty Suspension package" and which if either will help towing more, "Camper" adds a rear sway bar, Both add heavier springs up front and "steering dampner" the fx4 is rancho shocks, dampner and skid plates.
Jon B.
KG6NLC

Loser1

Post by Loser1 »

I just looked at my window sticker..... camper pkg and off road pkg. The way the camper pkg was explained to me it was more for a slide in camper but I'm sure it'll aide in all towing situations. The off road pkg, now the FX4 pkg, includes ranchos (5000s I believe), skid plates and that cute sticker and on the 150s 17" wheels. Not too sure if 17s come on the FX4 pkg superduties.

For "way to much info" check out http://www.thedieselstop.com :shock:

Anyway, I dig my SD CC 4X LB PSD!

FLYING TIGER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by FLYING TIGER »

The factory tow option is always the better way to go than adding a hitch later.

I wish the TV/DVD option was available when we ordered ours.

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by nats-fj40 »

I don't see any option for bigger wheels at least for the '03 SD's. Just tires, All Season or All Terrain, 235x85 or 265x75x16 in either tread. My understanding is the only difference between the sizes is the 265's are wider, roughly the same height.
Jon B.
KG6NLC

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

One of the places I found very informative was http://www.kbb.com If you go under the new vehicle section you can get a list of all the options, including Invoice and Retail pricing. If you know what options you want you can even print out a price you would have to pay.

When I found the truck I wanted, I went to KBB and selected the same options which were on the sticker and came up with the same MSRP. Then I had a little ammo when I went to buy the truck and showed the dealer what there invoice was.

Rooster
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Rooster »

Last year we bought a '02 F250 just like you're considering (Short bed, crew cab, 4x4, PSD) and love it. It's a Lariat with all the bells and whistles. One of the options my wife wanted, and ours happened to have was the back-up sensor. I know, it sounds like a lot of fluff but I actually love it! It sure helps in those packed parking lots and it's peace of mind when kids are around. It starts beeping at five feet and increases as you get closer. Once you're within one foot it goes to a steady tone. It's really accurate! The only annoyance is when backing the trailer - you have turn it off every time you go from drive to reverse, unless you don't mind the warning tone.

Ours has the towing and camper package, plus I added air bags on the rear. Another good add-on was the leveling kit. It consists of a spring pack and track bar relocating bracket. With this set-up you'll get about 2.5-3 inches of lift which is just about right. I bought mine at Jack-it Accesories (on-line). They were great to work with and answered my questions.

Good luck and enjoy!

Rooster 8)
Whoops, did I get sand in your face?

'04 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab Dually PSD
'04 Montana Mountaineer 33' FW
'89 Banshee ("Bad Toy") Gone but not forgotten
'65 Ford Falcon Futura ("The Hot Rod")

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by nats-fj40 »

What's the advantage of having the dual alternator option? Looked at one yesterday and it had it. :oops: Sales guy couldn't tell me either.
Jon B.
KG6NLC

BHenry
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by BHenry »

Jon,
Dual alternators give you much more current (amperage) output. It also gives you a back up should one of them fail.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

DannyG
1st Gear Member

Post by DannyG »

The back up sensor is a life saver! I have a lifted Superduty and without the back up sensor I would have backed up over every Miata in town. Don't spend the extra money for the stock in dash 6 disk CD player, it's garbage. CD's get jammed in it all the time. Aftermarket systems always sound better then any stock system anyway. Smart choice choosing a Powerstroke Superduty, your going to love it.
KFX 400

DesertDogs
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by DesertDogs »

I have an 02 F250 PSD Crew 4x4 w/long bed in XLT trim. Awesome truck...get the tow package. It comes with the hitch mounted, you have to pick up the receiver and ball yourself. The camper package doesn't add anything yu'll need for towing. The dual alternator setup is just like they said, but I saw that you could get a alternator twice the power for half the price from an aftermarket shop...so I didn't get it.

The backup sensor I also didn't get, hear it's great for those who always park *** backwards.

One thing you do want to get, if you go deisel, is a set of gauges and a Turbo Diesel Lifersaver. Look at these sites to get up to speed on tips and lessons.
http://www.diesel-central.com
http://www.thedieselstop.com
http://www.fordtruckworld.com

Good Luck
Duners are the only real Dune-biologists.

'If I had a dollar for every square acre of sensitive land that is now under houses and malls, I'd be richer than Bill Gates, and the President of the Seirra Club'

D.U.N.E.R. Member

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by nats-fj40 »

Got a chance to sit in one the other day, had most of what I wanted on it, and a couple I don't. Now I'm just wondering if the "bugs" are worked out of the 6.0 yet........ this one was built early may.
Jon B.
KG6NLC

Loser1

Post by Loser1 »

nats-fj40,

Jump on to http://www.thedieselstop.com , great info! There is a dedicated fourm for the 6.0L. Most of those guys know the skinny.

LUV MY 7.3L!

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by nats-fj40 »

Been to dieselstop, flatratetech, which is the ford mechanics forum, even over to woodalls forum just checking on things. (and a few more I can't remember now) My ex told me I'm researching this truck thing to death!
The flatratetech site says it should be good with a may build date, except for possible warm idle surge. Still considering the possibility tho!
Jon B.
KG6NLC

Return to “RV • Trailer • Tow Vehicle”