Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sandaholic
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Truck Whip Mount

Post by Sandaholic » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:02 pm

How does everyone mount their whips/flags to their trucks? I have seen some just sandwiched between the tailgate the bed.

How about a 2x3 In one of the stake pockets, would it be too much stress?

Any innovative mounts? I want something thats quick and easy to install and remove, also not take up alot of space when storing in the trailer.

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:18 pm

Put it in one of the Ball Hitch holes in the rear bumper. Just need some big flat washers. Works for me.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Greg Hall
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Greg Hall » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:12 pm

Just remember if you mount the whip to the rear bumper it is normally the last thing that reaches the crest of the dune. This won't allow much advance notice to someone coming the other direction.

I prefer to see a whip mounted to the front of the truck, it will be seen much sooner. If you can't work out a mount on the front at least mount it to the front of the bed, in the center if at all possible (it will also be higher that way)
Greg Hall
KG6IAT
http://www.hallsengine.com
Visiting and helping to protect the dunes since 1962

http://www.RideOcotilloWells.com

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
'06 KDX 200..my son's bike
KX 100 My 11 year old son's
KFX 400 also my son's bike
LT 500..all mine

The Oldtimer
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by The Oldtimer » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:43 pm

I cut two 2" wide pieces of angle aluminum 1/4"x 1-1/2"x 2" (that's what I had!)and attached them to the bed of my Ranger on the side of the front stake pocket with self tapping screws...dual whips! My bed has a Rhino liner so I didn't worry about rust. I'm gonna install two quick connects to make it even easier.
Frankie

Member of the ASA

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:38 pm

Good advice Greg.
#-o I forgot to mention the whip I was using was an 8 ft fiberglass CB whip antenna. With the bumper height the tip was at about 10 ft.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

StickyWhips
1st Gear Member

Re: Truck Whip Mount

Post by StickyWhips » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:52 am

Hey everyone! So I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to chime in and see if I could help solve a problem for anyone in the future. As an avid off-roader, and a Pismo Dunes local, for years I dealt with stuffing a flag between the bed and tailgate, zip ties, duct tape, and everything else under the sun to mount a flag to my truck. Then I decided to take matters into my own hands and create something to put an end to this once and for all. I came up with a suction cup whip mount that works with both 1/4 and 5/16 whips, on ANY vehicle with a smooth surface. Tested at speeds of 75+ mph, for hours at a time, these things really stay where you put them! After handing a dozen or so out to my closest friends in the area and receiving consistent positive feedback I decided to begin marketing and selling them on a larger scale. Check out my website and youtube videos of them in action! http://www.stickywhips.com If anyone on here is interested in purchasing one I would be happy to offer a 15% discount to forum members. In the meantime, have fun and stay safe!
~Eric
Attachments
truck.jpg

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator

Re: Truck Whip Mount

Post by BHenry » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:01 am

Welcome aboard Eric. Here on the board, we limit advertising to our business sponsors, other than an initial "heads up" post. Business sponsorship starts at just $50 a year, and helps us keep dune areas open.

Thanks!
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

Return to “RV • Trailer • Tow Vehicle”