Intelliduner
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Trailer brake behavior

Post by Intelliduner »

Gang,
I was trying to figure out why a brake/turn light wasn't working on my trailer, and at one point I had a couple wires hooked up to a loose battery and was testing the various pins on the wiring connector to see what lit up. I found the pin for the brakes, and heard a small click from the axle. I tried it again just for curiosity sake, and it didn't click any more. Again, nothing. Is it normal for trailer brakes to not return on their own? Or could I have mucked something up that caused them to freeze or something to fry?

It's a new trailer, and I haven't used the brakes yet (I still need a controller), so I have no idea if they're working as they should or not.

thanks!
_d

quad1100
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by quad1100 »

The brakes should only work when power is applied to them. If you were to disconnect the power to the trailer the brakes should disengage. Now on some trailers there is a safety disconnect which applies power to the brakes continues. It is a small plunger with a cable attached to it, the cable gets secured to the tow vehicle and if the trailer becomes detached during tow it will pull the plunger. This might be one reason your brakes are not disengaging; the plunger might not be put in properly?

Intelliduner

Post by Intelliduner »

quad1100 wrote:Now on some trailers there is a safety disconnect which applies power to the brakes continues. It is a small plunger with a cable attached to it, the cable gets secured to the tow vehicle and if the trailer becomes detached during tow it will pull the plunger. This might be one reason your brakes are not disengaging; the plunger might not be put in properly?
I don't have a breakaway on this trailer (I don't even have brake controllers in my tow vehicles yet), so that shouldn't be a problem. It's almost like I blew a fuse in it, but AFAIK, there are no fuses in the trailer wiring itself. I would think the fuse would be part of the controller's wiring.

_dennis

Sandemon
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Sandemon »

What you are probably hearing is the magnet attatching itself to the brake drum, it will not make any noise when it is relesed. A quick expaination of the workings of electric trailer brakes is, an elctro magnet is mounted to an arm that has a cam on the top, when you put electricity to the magnet it grabs the face of the drumand is pulled by the turning drum ,the cam on the top of the arm pushes the brake shoes out against the drum giving you brakes. This explanation is far from complete but gives an idea as to how your trailer brakes work :twisted: 8) :)
The ORIGINAL Sandemon
Member of D.U.N.E.R.
Go Hard or Go HomePick Up Your Trash

Intelliduner

Post by Intelliduner »

Sandemon wrote:What you are probably hearing is the magnet attatching itself to the brake drum, it will not make any noise when it is relesed.
Ok, but shouldn't it make the same noise again when the power is applied again? I would think it would click each time, but it sounds as if the magnet stuck the first time and stayed there. I guess I'll know if the wheels drag when I try to move it :P

_dennis

Fuzzy Knight
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Fuzzy Knight »

Dennis
It may not make the same noise again as it may have not moved far from the drum surface. It only has a small air gap and once the power was removed from it it could still be on the surface of the drum.
Fuzzy :D
If every thing seems under control Your not going fast enough!
1986 250R
1986 250R CT 350 Kit
1986 250R Ct 350 PV Kit
1928 Model A Roadster
1953 Ford Club Coupe
1963 Fairlane 500 SportsCoupe
1963 1/2 Falcon Ranchero Original Factory V8 4 Speed

ejunior2
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by ejunior2 »

The first time you applied current to it the magnet in the brakes probaly has some space between and you probably just heard the magnet hitting the drum. When you disconnected the power there may be now reason for the magent to back away from the drum so re-applying current won't make a sound.

Just a thought.
Erik - ASA Member - ejunior2@sbcglobal.net
93 Banshee
92 Banshee
03 Predator (er, the 90)
03 KLX300R
97 XR100
95 SCU

Intelliduner