Lifting Tow Vehicle

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

dktbanshee
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Lifting Tow Vehicle

Post by dktbanshee »

Just wanted to ask the board about lifting my future tow vehicle. It's going to be an F250 SD V-10 Crew Cab with 3.73 gearing with the auto trans. 6 3/4 bed. I've been looking at several different kits, and I think I will go with a 3 to 5 inch lift (as long as it doesn't void the warranty). The question is, would a lift from the stock geometry affect my towing capability? I plan towing at a minimum, a 9K lb toy hauler.

RobC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by RobC »

I have a 2001 F350 Diesel that I recently lifted. I put a 4.5" lift kit on it. I have a 22 ft toy hauler (about 8000 lbs fully loaded) that I pull with it. I've only towed between my house and the RV storage lot a few times. The only difference I noted was so far was slightly less power on take-off due to the larger (35") tires. But since I have a diesel, I just push down on the pedal a little more and we're off and runnin'. You may also have to get a new drop bar if you have a weight distribution hitch. The stock one that I had wasn't long enough.
On the plus side, the truck looks a whole lot better
Here's a few pics if you're interested.
http://community.webshots.com/album/42944997MjIgrO
Also, any modification will probably void the warranty at least for the part being modified.

Save the Dunes!!

Edited by - robc on 08/23/2002 06:35:41 AM

Edited by - robc on 08/23/2002 06:37:37 AM

FLYING TIGER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by FLYING TIGER »

The lower the drop on your hitch, the lower your capacity.

At least that's what I was told by Echart when they installed my hitch.
They told me 2" to 3" is minor, but when you get to 5"+, the calculation goes up geometrically, quite a bit.

It has to do with leverage on the drilled drop bar itself, diminished ability to equally distribute the wight around the towing vehicle, and the drop bar being able to stay in one piece.

Seems to make sense.

Perhaps if you contacted them they could give you advise.

You're probably still in range, but I'd make sure.

Edited by - flying tiger on 08/27/2002 9:17:00 PM

Dunacious
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Dunacious »

I have a F250 V10 Crew, and I just lifted it 4" and put on 35's. I tow a 28' toybox. If you go more than 4" on a lift you need to flip the axles on your trailer, because the load leveling hitch with standard axles (not flipped) on your trailer enable the tongue of the trailer to be exactly where you need it (I think it is 24"). Meaning that with the 4" and 35's you will have a load leveling hitch bolted on the last two holes on the shank. It works out perfect this way.

longtravel1

Post by longtravel1 »

Thats the fastest way to >>expletitive deleted<< a ride. They handle like >>expletitive deleted<<.Its very hard on front end parts there no alignment spec.there's not enough braking power there,hard on u-joints.Its just bad news.When these rides come into work we look and laugh at them {look at that hack job man, check out these smoked brakes oh but look at these brake lines there hang there with zip ties, oh but heres his clunking noise,his u-joint is >>expletitive deleted<<}

My advice don't do it

quad1100
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by quad1100 »

quote:
Thats the fastest way to >>expletitive deleted<< a ride. They handle like >>expletitive deleted<<.Its very hard on front end parts there no alignment spec.there's not enough braking power there,hard on u-joints.Its just bad news.When these rides come into work we look and laugh at them {look at that hack job man, check out these smoked brakes oh but look at these brake lines there hang there with zip ties, oh but heres his clunking noise,his u-joint is >>expletitive deleted<<}

My advice don't do it

Yada, yada, yada . . .

Lift the truck yourself and make sure you do your homework on the type of lift and components to use. You'll be fine lifting it a few inches!

Lets put it this way, you don't smoke breaks from lifting a truck, it's from over loading your trailer. (Well okay, you put 44's on a Toyota you might smoke them coming down a long grade) You don't blow out U-joints from lifting a truck, only with improper drive shaft geometry. There is an answer for it all, most of the time it’s because some kid making 6 bucks an hour down at the 4x4 shop is installing it.

Mark

http://www.offroadtoys.com/glamis.html

Edited by - quad1100 on 08/27/2002 9:59:08 PM

longtravel1

Post by longtravel1 »

Hay mark don,t get upset
You lift it you do change the geometry {not a body lift}

As far as the brakes YOU WILL SMOKE THEM if you are not careful.Runing over size tires takes more braking power to stop and this is with no trailer. Do you think these vehicles are over engineered these days? I think not!!

Well if you have lifted ride mark i hope you don't have any problems in the future.

There is an answer for it all, ya keep changing these parts. Well thats work for me and it supports my duning habit

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

Shoot, I'm not upset. And you are right, a lot of the geometry changes, and I hate body lifts. But you have to know what you are going to be using the truck for. But lifting a truck 4" should be an easy task and they are made to be modified that much. 6", 8" and 12", sure there are going to be problems.

Yes, mine is lifted, done it all my life, never had a problem.

longtravel1

Post by longtravel1 »

Hum
Sounds like a guy thing,Ya your rignt

EBCMIKE
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by EBCMIKE »

quote:
Hay mark don,t get upset
You lift it you do change the geometry {not a body lift}

Very true, but you can also alter the finished geometry back into allowable specs.

quote:
As far as the brakes YOU WILL SMOKE THEM if you are not careful.Runing over size tires takes more braking power to stop and this is with no trailer.

HA!

I am always humored when someone says lifting your truck causes all these problems.

I was once told that my stereo cause my trans to blow hard parts through the pan...the BASS caused vibrations that were counter productive to the tranny....hahaha, needless to say that tech NEVER touched my truck.

I say lift your truck to your hearts content, just do your research and do it right. I have a lifted crew cab dually on 37's and it tows like a champ, rides like a caddy and I wouldnt trade it for the world

MIKE NESCHKEhttp://www.extremebuggies.commiken@extremebugg ... lathon.com

longtravel1

Post by longtravel1 »

Like i said it must be a guy thing.
Cartoon land / Thank for the laugh the hole shop was on the floor laughing there ***** off

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

quote:
Like i said it must be a guy thing.
Cartoon land / Thank for the laugh the hole shop was on the floor laughing there ***** off

You know what cracks me up is it sounds like you work in an auto shop which repairs a lot of 4x4 trucks that are lifted, but yet here you are discouraging people from continuing lifting trucks which would potentially bring you more work . . . Hmmm

longtravel1

Post by longtravel1 »

Yes i am discouraging people form lifting there ride but thats there choise. If i was trying to genarate more business i would say there is nothing roung with it.

I try to EDUCATE PEOPLE not rip them off.

But then again every one is a mechanic.{so they think}Its a guy thing.That will never change.If they only know how stupid they sounded they would never open there mouth! Now that cracks me up.

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

quote:I try to EDUCATE PEOPLE not rip them off.

quote:Its a guy thing

Now you sound like another women trying to save the world, it isn’t going to happen! You can piss and moan and use profanity as much as you want and NO ONE will listen to BS. In fact at this point I would even question your claims of being a competent mechanic?

longtravel1

Post by longtravel1 »

I am above that
Yada yada yada

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

quote:
I am above that
Yada yada yada

Just a notch above a Troll

snj
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by snj »

DKT -
I've heard several things about using a lifted truck for towing, bottom line is be aware the higher you go the higher your CG is going to be. I don't know of anyone who can dispute a higher CG equals a "less" responsive vehicle. You don't see many F1 race cars with any height, granted its one extreme example. Talking with the old guys that drive fivers all over the country, the best tow vehicle (350 class or smaller) is a 2 WD standard ride height truck. If your a weekend trailer puller, you make the call on how comfortable you feel behind the wheel. As for maintenance, be carefull the products you are installing are rated for the same loads you are actually towing. Some of these cheap kits are simply eye candy and don't maintain the capacity of your stock truck. As someone once told me, you can tow a trailer with just about anything, what you are shooting for is doing it comfortably.

Also, do us all a favor and get your headlights adjusted after the lift. There are enough idiots that don't do this already.

Personally, I'd leave it stock, but thats just me. I've seen some of these guys driving 70+ MPH with lifted trucks and trailers in tow down hwy 86. Hope they have a good insurance policy.

Scott

It is safe to have a distrust of anyone who presents their views as the only true and correct ones...... Question all extremes!

FLYING TIGER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by FLYING TIGER »

[quote)

It is safe to have a distrust of anyone who presents their views as the only true and correct ones...... Question all extremes!
[/quote]

Well said,, and this why we fight.

dktbanshee
1st Gear Member

Post by dktbanshee »

Well, the truck is ordered, so now I'm just waiting. The truck is getting a 3 1/2" spring hanger lift and dual shock hoop setup in the front. The rear will have dual shocks at the corners and 4" blocks. All this is from Fabtech. Most important to me, the dealer is installing it and will cover it under the warranty. I will be putting 33" tires on when I can save the money up for them. I think that is as tall of a lift as I wanted to go anyway, since the last thing I want to worry about is trailing problems. Thanks all for the info.

DONUT MAKER
1st Gear Member

Post by DONUT MAKER »

HEY DKTSHEE
WHAT IS THE DEALER GOING TO COVER UNDER WARRANTY ?

dktbanshee
1st Gear Member

Post by dktbanshee »

It's the same warranty as what is usually offered, except now there is no reason for the dealer not fix something in the drivetrain that could have been caused by the lift. A blown tranny is what I am most concerned about. A failing tranny wouldn't be caused by a lift I'm sure, but if someone else installs the lift, I would probably have to fight to keep the tranny covered by the warranty.

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

A blown tranny is what I am most concerned about
But yet they still buy the Ford. . . . .

Mark

longtravel1

Post by longtravel1 »

David
Putting oversize tires will afect the transmission.

As far as the warranty you better get it in righting. And i dont mean the regular warranty contract.

I dont mean to pop your bubble but thats the oldest trick in book. The salesman is telling you what you want to here.He does not want to lose the commission on the sale.Lets say you have a problem with the trans a year from now you go back and say its covered under the warranty and they say its not. Even on the chance that same salesman is still there and if he remembers you all he has to say is oh i am sorry that must have been a misunderstanding.

What you should do is get a copy of that contract take it home and read it top to bottom.{its not in laman terms it wont be under lifting a vehicle} Its a standard contract they have boxs of them.

Good luck

DesertDogs
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by DesertDogs »

Depends on where you go with your Ford. First you gotta find a true dealer that does the Superduties. Here in San Diego, there is one in Clairemont ....Sunrise Ford. They won't screw you like the rest try. I had one guy tell me that the thump I was hearing was from the tires...I said "Dude, it's only got 200 miles on it, and these are the tires that you put on the truck at the factory. (Revised front motor mount solved the problem)"

As for the radical lifts, I gotta agree. I like the looks of the 35" tires, but all things considered, a Superduty ain't meant for banging berms and shredding the desert...it's meant to haul!! So we are going with a 2-3" lift, which basically levels truck, single shocks, and 33".

OH yeah..towing? Get the Superchips Microtuner, make sure you use the 60HP program, and tow to your hearts content.
Duners are the only real Dune-biologists.

'If I had a dollar for every square acre of sensitive land that is now under houses and malls, I'd be richer than Bill Gates, and the President of the Seirra Club'

D.U.N.E.R. Member

Return to “RV • Trailer • Tow Vehicle”