Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Ta2dGrrl
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Workhorse or Ford?

Post by Ta2dGrrl »

:?: Again, the good, the bad, the ugly....

We are a Chevy family. That being said, if we can be convinced that we should be going with the Ford, we just might do that cuz mohos are a whole different ballgame....

Pros...cons...opinions? :?

Thanks again,

Nik
----
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

-Mario Andretti

The Oldtimer
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by The Oldtimer »

Nik, unless the GM/workhouse has improved their chassis, the Ford platform is a better unit. On paper the GM motor does have a slight power advantage but the Ford has a stronger frame and has better carrying capacity numbers. The Workhouse is a good product...but unless things have changed, the Ford platform is better. Having said this, I would not be afraid to own the Workhouse. Pick up some brochures and compare the "GV" weight numbers, ect...this may help.
Frankie

Member of the ASA

FLYING TIGER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by FLYING TIGER »

Remember you get the Allison Trans with the GM.

The Ford Gas engines suffer from secondary combustion in the exhaust system and your cats will barely last 3500 to 4000 miles.

Ford has no solution.

The new Ford diesels, I have 2 2003's in work trucks, suffers from runaway excelleration.

One of my trucks rear ended a Lexus,, the other pinned a dumpster to the wall at Arcoaire supply.

Neighbor is a Ford Mechanic at Galphin in Van Nuys,, says the Ford gas, Diesel, and Jaguar (same engine FI as the Fords) all suffer from full throttle excelleration when no gas is applied.

All use a "fly by wire" throttle from the pedal to the FI. It has serious problems.

No problems with the GM.

Of all the people that I know with the Allison Trans, none have experienced the problems the loyal Ford owners claim they do.

I love Fords and GM,, hold neither better than the other,, but perhaps GM safer when I look at the problems I've experienced.

Spyder

Post by Spyder »

All use a "fly by wire" throttle from the pedal to the FI. It has serious problems
Nothing beats a solid connection!!!

Although "fly by wire" is what keeps the F-111 Stealth fighter in the air.

If it wasn't for the computer making 100's of adjustments it would never make it off the ground.

Corvette uses the same technology for its' throttle, haven't heard of any problems with it.
Robert McMillin
Member of D.U.N.E.R.(Duners Undoing Needless Environmental Restrictions)

thor
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by thor »

I like the Chevy. go with a deisel if you can.

Ta2dGrrl
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Ta2dGrrl »

Thanks for the input guys. Frankie, we've read all the literature available on both chassis, but have heard from many people that Workhorse is the way to go.

Thor...I wish I could afford a deisel. I'm just happy to be moving up from the tent! :mrgreen:

Keep it coming!

Nik
----
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

-Mario Andretti

Spyder

Post by Spyder »

I'm just happy to be moving up from the tent!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Maybe next year...
Robert McMillin
Member of D.U.N.E.R.(Duners Undoing Needless Environmental Restrictions)

Bohica
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Bohica »

I bought a new Winnebago 32V this year with the Workhorse and 8.1. With the Allison tranny, this combo is hard to beat. Plenty of power. Being a Chevy guy also, I just couldn't see myself driving a Ford.

Ron @ Lazer Star

Post by Ron @ Lazer Star »

Nik,

The Allison Trans alone should be a decision maker. I have it in my Chevy Pickup and it makes all the differance when I tow. Espically coming down grades. (Read up on the Allison and you'll know what I'm referring to.). The only bummer is that Dmax, LTD, cant make the diesel's fast enough to supply Workhorse with the Duramax motor. If it could you'd have a diesel motorhome and not have that extra $100K to pay for...

I have heard however that some MH manufactures may be procducing units on the C4500 and 5500 chassis in which case you can get the diesel. But, I haven't seen any yet and it would be a oversized class C.
Ron Scott
Weekend Concepts
ron@lazerstar.net

Help keep the momentum, buy your raffle tickettoday!

GO HALOS!

AlxCook

Post by AlxCook »

The Ford Gas engines suffer from secondary combustion in the exhaust system and your cats will barely last 3500 to 4000 miles.
Is this true with the newer engines? I have a 2000 V10 with 60,000 miles and have not had a single problem. Bought it new, and it hasn't had a reason to go back to the dealer. My Suburban is a completely different story, it has probably been back to the dealer 8 times over a three year span for electrical problems. Who knows?
Alex

Member of DUNERs, ASA, CORVA, SDORC, BRC, and the human race

snj
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by snj »

I also have a newer Ford RV with the V10, only 20K miles or so, but no problems to date. I checked the RV.net site as well and there aren't any reports of repeated cataylic converter failures. If someone has a tech advisory or maint. memo on this let us know. So far there isn't much documented on any of the RV boards I use.

Also, I did read on the RV net that the E550 chassis will be used on the 2003 model years as an upgrade. Should be interesting to see what they offer up for power. I'm seeing there is a new Ford diesel powerplant coming as well.

BTW - Here's a link to the story on the new engine/tranny offerings, although it doesn't mention use in MH chassis.

Scott
Stop your whining about closures, curfews, police presence and grow up or go home....

The Oldtimer

Post by The Oldtimer »

Nik, never ask a Chevy lover about anything...they hate it that Ford actually beats them at thier own game!! :oops: :oops:

The Allison is a sweet setup...every manufacturer will have something similar before long.
Frankie

Member of the ASA

FLYING TIGER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by FLYING TIGER »

The new Ford trans offers tired aftermarket fakes Ford engineers picked up in the field from rebuild shops.

Or the ZF trans with the same patch ups calling it a new heavy duty.

It's a patch-it-up-for another year- tired Ford better idea.

Not the new, built for heavy duty use Allison.

If you read other topics in forum you read of many with FORD Tranny and cat problems.

GMC and Chevy trucks are essentially the same and when sales figures are combined,, blow Ford sales figures away.

I have a the new Allison/GMC & it stands head and shoulders above new Fords I like a dumbs**t bought for my business.

A neighbor owns a Ford Dealer in the San Fernando Valley, gave me a killer deal on 2 new '03's,, and like a dummy, I pulled the hit me again lever. and boy,,, I got hit deluxe this time.
Last edited by FLYING TIGER on Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Oldtimer

Post by The Oldtimer »

I rest my case...!!! :roll: :roll:
Frankie

Member of the ASA

snj
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by snj »

Tiger - You keep mentioning this catalytic converter problem but I have yet to find anything documented on this. Do you have a link to some source for more info? if so please send it out to us. I've gone through many of my RV sites and can't find a history of this, maybe we're missing something here.
Stop your whining about closures, curfews, police presence and grow up or go home....

Fuzzy Knight
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Fuzzy Knight »

My 2002, 2001 F53 chassis had a suspected Cat problem, pulled it off at 4000 miles and could only see a quarter size hole in a 3 inch pipe. Problem solved ! Cat under bench !
Fuzzzy :D
If every thing seems under control Your not going fast enough!
1986 250R
1986 250R CT 350 Kit
1986 250R Ct 350 PV Kit
1928 Model A Roadster
1953 Ford Club Coupe
1963 Fairlane 500 SportsCoupe
1963 1/2 Falcon Ranchero Original Factory V8 4 Speed

The Oldtimer

Post by The Oldtimer »

We can debate the Ford V GM "which is better" stuff all day long and get nowhere...BUT...just read the new Hot Rod and Car Craft mags. GM is serving "rice". If you want a front motor V8 rear wheel driven CAR...buy a Mustang, full size Ford, Mercury Marauder... these are CARS. GM used to make those kind of CARS and they were great. Now they make those sideways 4 bangers for the 1 million watt sound system, fart pipe, plastic spoiler crew...is this the GM I used to at least respect?
Frankie

Member of the ASA

FLYING TIGER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by FLYING TIGER »

All I can say is I had the recurring Cat problem, and several have posted here in Forum with the problem,, and met others that have had this recurring problem.

I'm not saying they all have this,, just the owners I've known have gone through this hassle the same as me.

I'm still reading posts here in forum that the later models have this problem,, and judging by the way I and others I've known dealing with this were treated by Ford, they've never solved it.

Ford tried to charge all of us for new cats,, about $800 each incident,, even though the MoHo's were still in warranty (70,000 miles in Calif).

MoHo's still have no lemon law protection,, and Ford knows this.

This issue got real ugly with Ford real quick.

Nothing like being in route to the river and the cats fail with only 420 miles on your brand new MoHo just outside of Searchlight Nevada.

Then the Ford dealer in Vegas trys to stick it to ya for $800.

Then they fail again on the way home.

When they fail,,, the MoHo overheats deluxe, and you stop dead in the water. Then your new $78,000 dream doesn't restart.

So,, don't take my word for it,, That'd be like asking a divorced man about how he likes his EX wife.

Guys post here like their Ford MoHo's just fine,, and the way to judge things are by their merits,,

Soooooo,,,, if they have had no problems, I'm glad they don't have to go through the hell I did,, or the guy who bought it from the dealer after I traded it in on a Chevy did,, who am I to judge???

The Oldtimer

Post by The Oldtimer »

Gotta admit...that sucks big time. My MH is a 95 Southwind with a 460. I've had two problems...cooked starters (headers) and a weak fuel pump, both fixed by Ford. Ive been cross country twice and I tow out of Escondido the back way. Plenty of power, and I drive it like I stole it. We had an 84 Suncrest with a 454...motor ran great, sucked gas, tossed the rear end and puked the trans (2nd gear). Nothing a shift kit and an Allison converter couldn't fix, tranny wise.

The cat should be a smog related warranty item...don't know for sure.
Frankie

Member of the ASA

snj
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by snj »

I agree oldtimer, this sounds like Tiger got a really raw deal. I checked my warrantee to make sure I've got some coverage. Interesting how it is done. They split the coverage period at 14000 pounds gross weight. Under it is 70K miles/7 years over is 50K/5 years. I verified it does specifically call out the cat as a warranteed item. Hope I don't end up with the probs Tiger had.

I'm kind of surprised to hear of the overhead condition under the bad cat conditions. from what i remember, the Triton (both V10 and V8) powerplants were supposed to go into a self protect mode of operation on overheat condition. If I remember correctly there is supposed to be a shutdown of alternating cylinders to ease the heat generation. Another thing I hope never to experience.

Scott

AlxCook

Post by AlxCook »

We can debate this forever. All I do know, is this is the first time I have ever heard of the Cat problem and many people I know run the V10 with no problems, both in MoHo's and Trucks.

The only thing Chevy has is the Allison tranny over the Ford powerplant. Every year one brand is better than the other. Anyone can build a diesel engine that out produces the next, it is the tranny and rear end that the manufacturers are having problems with. That is why Chevy had to go to an outside resource to fix their tranny problems. Look at the tow ratings of a manual trans vs a Auto trans, with high horsepower/high torque, the manual trans almost always has a higher tow rating. And I don't think the Allison tranny is the answer of the future. When these truck builders can build a strong tranny, the horsepower for the diesels will outperform all gas engines on the market, including out accellerating. But right now the cost to develop them is high.

I do believe Chevy has problems with the little things. Most Chevy trucks/SUV's have problems with minor electrical things. Ford is having problems with some vehicles accellerating for no reason, I believe it has something to do with the cruise control, but for the most part, if you own a Chevy or Ford you are ok, much better than a DODGE! That was for you Jason.
Alex

Member of DUNERs, ASA, CORVA, SDORC, BRC, and the human race

DesertDogs
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by DesertDogs »

Well, after you read it all, what you really need to do is decide how much you are willing to spend, now and later.

We have our 02 F250, Diesel, and are absolutely thrilled with it. It's a TRUCK that does a TRUCK's job. We looked at the new GM, liked the quietness, the Allison Tranny, and even the slightly lower price. What made us go to FORD?

The reputation, the size (Crew Cab, Long Bed) and the way the truck feels as you drive. The GM was too new at the time.

If you still can't decide, FORD has the NEW Powerstroke coming out....and you could always count how many Superduty trucks you see on the road vs GM.

Personal pref....have fun and enjoy
Duners are the only real Dune-biologists.

'If I had a dollar for every square acre of sensitive land that is now under houses and malls, I'd be richer than Bill Gates, and the President of the Seirra Club'

D.U.N.E.R. Member

Return to “RV • Trailer • Tow Vehicle”