30' Weekend Warrior

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

bigdog
1st Gear Member

30' Weekend Warrior

Post by bigdog »

i AM PLANNING ON buying A NEW TRAILER THIS WEEKEND AT THE SAND SPORTS SHOW. aNY FEEDBACK ON WEEKEND WARRIOR WOULD BE HELPFULL. wHAT DO YOU LIKE AND WHAT DO YOU NOT....

mIKE

livewire
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by livewire »

Mike, you might want to move this question to the techinal forum. Brother in law just got a 03 30' pull. Only had it out once so can't give you too much info. Love that 5.0 onan gen. like the front sleeper. fiberglass sides look really cool. only problem was cranking it on and off the ball pain in the ***. Get electric jack. He alos bent one of the stablizing arms. I would order with the siccsor style. He got it at gaint rv in corona 28.5 out the door. good luck mark

bigdog
1st Gear Member

Warrior Trailer

Post by bigdog »

Thanks for the information Mark. I had sent some direct e-mails to folks the other night but somehow found a virus. Dont know if they replyied or not. I do plan on getting one this weekend I think. Really narrowing it down to a few units. Having a difficult time decideing on the options. Again thanks for the reply.

Mike

DesertDogs
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by DesertDogs »

We just purchased a 30' WW, so that we'd have room to grow. It's awesome, and looking forward to using it.
Duners are the only real Dune-biologists.

'If I had a dollar for every square acre of sensitive land that is now under houses and malls, I'd be richer than Bill Gates, and the President of the Seirra Club'

D.U.N.E.R. Member

livewire
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by livewire »

Mike, talked to the bro in law today. Took his 30fs in to have jack installed. He asked about adding a 2nd a/c unit . They told him it was wired for a second in the front bedroom. The front room stays pretty cool with the factory air. He asked for a quote to have one installed towards the rear and they quoted him 500 just to wire it. So if your into air or like to go out when it's really hot may want them to pre wire at the factory. Good luck Mark

livewire
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by livewire »

Oh and congrats desert dog. That seems to be a really nice trailer and pulls well also. See ys in the desert! Mark :)

DesertDogs
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by DesertDogs »

Mark..yeah it is a dream. 'Course it also showed the weakness of the tranny in my F250. Hopefully that is fixed.

Yeah, it is a pain to get of the ball..I've had my share of $*(%()&&) getting it off. I haven't looked into the electric jack yet, but thanks for the tip. I do have the scissor jacks, WW told me "Do not use them to level the trailer...they will bend!"

I'm looking at installing some sort of mini-cameras, like the helmet cams we saw at the Sand Show, on the rear corners, feeding to a split monitor in the truck, so that I can where the rear of that big mother is.

Enjoy, going to Pad 2.5 for Columbus

'If I had a dollar for every square acre of sensitive land that is now under houses and malls, I'd be richer than Bill Gates, and the President of the Seirra Club'

D.U.N.E.R. Member

Ron @ Lazer Star
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Ron @ Lazer Star »

Moved to Tech forum.
Ron Scott
Weekend Concepts
ron@lazerstar.net

Help keep the momentum, buy your raffle tickettoday!

GO HALOS!

s_petersen
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by s_petersen »

DD - can you tell me more about the tranny problems.... I am selling my RV to buy a 28' toy hauler - have a F350 AT am curious about any tranny problems. For AT's do you always tow with OD off? I have heard both ways. Insight would be appreciated.
Scott Petersen

DesertDogs
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by DesertDogs »

My F250 has AT, I just updated the shift kit with a TransCommand, and and have the K&N and 4" Exhaust, complete gauges for the diesel. The tranny had a valvebody sticking, which cuased it to shift poorly, and then later the tranny blew the Torque converter and a few seals.....and it hasn't hauled the trailer to the dez yet.

Planning on doing so Columbus weekend, am a bit nervous, but I've got insurance and the numbers of some tow companies

Good luck

D.U.N.E.R. Member

DesertDogs
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by DesertDogs »

Ooops, I forgot...Powerstoke Registry, and several of the Diesel sites say that you can (should) be able to pull max load with O/D on...though the book syas OFF...so when going up a steep grade or down, I'm turning that puppy off...good trailer brakes as well.

D.U.N.E.R. Member

MattV
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by MattV »

The only thing my manual says about towing in overdrive is that you should not allow the transmission to hunt between gears. My general rule is that I allow the transmission to come out of OD on its own, and then lock it out if it's a long grade. It's the shiffting that really builds up heat, so I do what I can to keep it to a minimum.

Matt
Water is just beer that hasn't reached its full potential.

s_petersen
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by s_petersen »

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated!!
Scott Petersen

SANDPSYCHO
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by SANDPSYCHO »

I have a ford F350 diesel with a/t, I tow a 32ft 5th wheel in O/D all the time. Rather then let the engene begin to bog and down shift out of O/D. I take it out B/T 70 and 65 mph keeping the engine RPMs on the up side and I can usually hold that speed in 3rd. Then when I get to the top and can feel the truck picking up and my foot stops trying to push the pedal through the floor I turn the O/D on and let it up shift.

livewire
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by livewire »

Desertdogs, How do you like that trans command? Did it improve your shifting and hold a gear any longer while towing? I'm thinking of adding one and going to synthetic fluid for this towing season. Mark

s_petersen
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by s_petersen »

Thanks sandpsycho
Scott Petersen

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by BHenry »

Matt, I do the same thing in my Dodge.

Just make sure that you have your tranny serviced regularly. My tranny guy says the best way to keep an eye on your tranny is to check it at fuel stops. Just pull the dipstick, look at the color, smell if its burnt, and pinch the dipstick to check the temp. BTW this guy once saved a trip to Glamis for us, so I trust him pretty well, he's never steered me wrong.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

Boats1000
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Boats1000 »

one thing I would like to add to this topic.. Remember your overrev works when it is in OD and D.. It is locked out in 2 and below
I've never seen a U-Haul hitched to a hurst!

Return to “RV • Trailer • Tow Vehicle”