2500HD Ride Quality

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

guesswhobaru

2500HD Ride Quality

Post by guesswhobaru »

I have a 2002 2500HD crew cab long bed, and the ride out the I 10, and the 111 expressway SUCKS. The rear end of the truck hops so bad, its pathetic. Ive tried moving my buggy foreward, and backward, adjusting tire pressures, and nothing seems to work. The ride is bad empty, and only gets worse when I load it up. Its only on the concrete highways, with the expansion joints in them. I have BFG AT's, no lift, and stock shocks. I'm thinking about a spring change, but dont want to start throwing $$'s at this and experimenting.

Any input would be appreciated.

thor
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by thor »

For a 2500 mine is fine it is rougher than my 97 1/2 ton but much better than my Ford F250 crewcab 4x4. I'm thinking of trying beter shocks.

Ron @ Lazer Star
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Ron @ Lazer Star »

Same problem with my S/B. I found going slower helps. Oh have you ever driven that road unloaded? Wow does it suck! At least twice as bad as loaded. I'm shopping for new shocks myself.
Ron Scott
Weekend Concepts
ron@lazerstar.net

Help keep the momentum, buy your raffle tickettoday!

GO HALOS!

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

I was always a Chevy/GMC guy. In July of '01, I started looking for a 1/2 ton SB crew cab truck. I drove the Chevy and it rode terrible, and didn't seem to have a good power range. Then I drove the Ford F150 Super Crew and bought it. It is really a nice truck, great ride, awesome power, better gas mileage than any Chevy I've had. I'm now over the trouble I have saying I own a Ford. :wink:
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

DesertDogs
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by DesertDogs »

Yeah, that road does suck!!

We have the same problem with the I-15, SR-94 and the I-5 here in San Diego. It's caused by the process of pouring the freeways in sections, or cutting in the expansion joints, the sections get uneven. Our F250 CC 4X4 gets to be a bear sometimes, yet the cars don't even notice it.

The trick is to spend $$$$$ on shocks, and run the correct tire pressure. Remember that 1/2 tons are built for hauling, so the springs and shocks are heavy duty, they aren't designed to give you a smooth ride.

The best setup I've seen is where the shocks were replaced with Fox shocks, dual in front and bypass in the rear, then added airbags to the leaf springs to preserve the hauling capacity.....truck rode SWEET!!!

'course, this is in excess of 2K
Duners are the only real Dune-biologists.

'If I had a dollar for every square acre of sensitive land that is now under houses and malls, I'd be richer than Bill Gates, and the President of the Seirra Club'

D.U.N.E.R. Member

guesswhobaru

Post by guesswhobaru »

Thanks for the input.

I was thinking of removing the overload spring, or replacing it, and then adding air bags to get the hauling capacity back. As far as bypass shocks go, how do they work, and what is the purpose? If adding bypass shocks are the way to go, then I'll consider putting them on the rear.

FLYING TIGER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by FLYING TIGER »

I have the 2500HD
The ride loostens up after several thousand miles and becomes quite nice.
If you still don't like it, BF Goodrich aerospace makes a super gadget that replaces one of the rear spring hangers on each side and man o man does it soften up the ride without changeing your max load capacity.

it's a cool little spring loaded ratchet gadget.

The Alzimers is setting in and I don't remember the name. It has it's own website to order from.

Real easy to install, except you need a floor lift because the truck needs to be at least 3' off the ground.

Once you read letters on the website from happy owners, you'll order a set.

It'll come to me and I'll e mail the info (or post it) to you when I remember.
I've ridden in several trucks with this unique gadget and it is super.

No more washboard freeways, excellent ride.

mgaapec
1st Gear Member

Post by mgaapec »

you can find them at 4 wheel parts
velvet ride shackles

http://www.4wheelparts.com/category.asp?cat=SUS

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

That is very interesting. I've been doing further investigating on these things and it seems that they are made by Lord Corp. http://www.velvet-ride.com/ and marketed under a bunch of different names.

Mark

FLYING TIGER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by FLYING TIGER »

Yea,, that's it: velvet ride.

I've ridden in several trucks with it and it is excellent.

The owners love it.

The memory is starting to fade,,,,,,,,

livewire
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by livewire »

I did some calling. 4 wheel parts wants 242.95. Got them down to 218.00 on the phone. They have price match and desert rat truck center sells them for 189.00. The person at 4 wheel told me that dana/spicer makes the same unit for 159.00. I ordered the spicer unit pick it up today. After install I'll write back and let ya know how it rides. Mark (93 f350 CC 4x4)

livewire
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by livewire »

Put them on yesterday afternoon. I immediatly noticed that the truck seemed smother and quieter in the cab. when going over bumps city driving, a jarring motion turned into a slow roll. Only drove a couple of miles on the freeway still had some bounce but could tell it was smoother and quieter. I think wheel base has a lot to do with the fwy driving? About 20 min install. I would rate them 8 out of 10 for city driving and 6 for 10 on the fwy. I would definatly say there worth the 159.00 ducks. The dana/spicer unit looks to be exactly the same as the bf goodrich, even had velvet ride stamped into them with patent #. My .02 cents Mark :wink:

livewire
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by livewire »

P.S. Thanks flying tiger any thing that get's my beast riding better is much appreciated owe ya a beer 8)

guesswhobaru

Post by guesswhobaru »

intorvr, did you get the dana/spicer units from 4wheel parts wholesalers? Also, do you have a 2500HD, long bed crew cab?

livewire
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by livewire »

Guesswho, I have a 93 f350 cc 4x4 longbed, I got the dana/spicer unit . My daughters boyfriend went to the off road show at pomona and said sombody was selling the shackels for 89.00. I will try to get the company name and post for ya maybe you can ask for the show price? The unit does take some of the bite out of the rear end and seems quieter in the cab. Mark

FLYING TIGER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by FLYING TIGER »

One heck of a clever invention isn't it?

I imagine they could sell a lot of them at the next SSSs show.

Nice that they don't change the vehicles appearance or have any side effects.

thor

Post by thor »

So what shocks did everone go with?
What about Edelbrock?

Return to “RV • Trailer • Tow Vehicle”