How was your T-day?

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

kev
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

How was your T-day?

Post by kev »

Mike was right, it was rough. We got there wednesday and it was bad. Just riding to comp hill would raddle your teeth loose. Other than the regular camp racers and the mexican polka music friday night until 4:30 am, :evil: it was a great weekend. Nothing broke and no one got hurt. I saw alot of ASA flags this trip, but did not get a chance to talk to anyone. Hope everyone else had a good trip. :D

Ross & Alice
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Ross & Alice »

Went out on my YFZ 450, a quad with great suspention, but the ruts and potholes still were pretty tough.

The YFZ 450 has a couple problems.
The seat toooo hard.
The thumb throttle is to far away from the grip, at a bad angle, and the throttle return spring is way too hard.

I have X large hands and it was a very painful stretch for my thumb to reach the thumb throttle.
Adjusting it did little good.

I compaired it to several friends Suki 400 thumb throttles and the Suki is closer, at a more convienent angle, and much less tention on the return spring.

In other words, I was in misery. Couldn't ride for more than a few minutes at a time. I've ridden my Raptor for several years, and several other quads and never experienced this kind of pain.

Others with YFZ 450's told me the same, most switched to twist throttles.
I have 3 different type of thumb savers,, none worked.
I had to hold my beer with my left hand it ached so bad. The horror.

Hooked up with the Sandemon. Later he passed in front of us on the dunes several times, we waved, but I think he didn't see us.

Met what seemed like a hundred people off this board. The reconized my RV from pics,, and stopped by to say hello.

Man o man the dunes were in ruff shape,,, but it happens,, and it'll never stop me from visiting them,, that's for sure.

kev
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by kev »

So Ross and I were the only ones that went? :shock: I thought it was more crowded then that. :wink: Come on I wanted to hear other peoples storys. 8)

RichB
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by RichB »

It was one of those weekends for us. We got there later Wednesday night than we planned and myself and the son were both fairly ill; he had a double ear infection from the weekend previous and I had/have the flu/whatever it is bug. To top it off when I was unhooking the trailer I left the trailer plug lying on the hitch and of course it had to catch on the ball upon separating the truck & trailer; at least know I know that a cummins turbo diesel has enough power to easily pull every wire out of the trailer cord box :x Thank goodness that it was at Dumont and I had no trouble spotting a nearby person with a similar WW that was gracious enough to pop open his box and let me see where the wires were supposed to splice back in. We also found another defect in our WW, this time another plumbing problem. We're just gonna have to bring it back to the factory for work which will probably cost me a couple of hundred bucks in diesel and over 1k miles but there's enough stuff to warrant them going through it vice our local dealer.

The dunes were really hammered Thursday both by traffic and by the weird shifts that were formed on the ridges from the wet weather. I didn't have much fun even on the 2-wheeler which is usually pretty forgiving no matter what the condition. At least what little wind we had was somewhat helping the conditions over the course of the holiday.

Friday somehow I missed the group ride :cry: , we got over to comp about 1015 and stayed there until about 1045 but I didn't see Sandemon, Ross or anyone else from the board I could recognize. We never saw the red SS2?

Saturday morning we were awakened about 6a.m. by my daughter screaming her 3 year old head off and as bad luck would have it she had came down with an ear infection so we packed up and boogied home around mid-morning. We did talk to the rangers on the way out and they said up to that point they had 1 near death, 1 broken leg, 1 broken jaw (if I remember right) and that was about it. They were pretty happy with that tally as you guys know there was a butt-load of folks there. We must've met 7-8 sheriff's vehicles coming in on Sat, quite a change from the Halloween situation. Mega kudos to the LE brigade as we didn't see them "harassing" anyone. From our point of view just their presence was enough to keep most of the stuff within reason.

Few things we noticed that we had concerns with:

There are so many people camping outside of the "dust bowl" now that are either inconsiderate or ignorant (or they allow their kids to be) it is worse in much of that area than if you camped in between the 3rd finger and the big dunes themselves. I still don't understand why people travel all the way to sand dunes to run WFO up and down hardpack desert when they could've saved themselves a lot of time and $ by staying closer to home and doing that.

Most people, and that apparently includes law enforcement, have forgotten about the girl fatality last year that was caused at least in part by illegal worm-trails. We saw a phenominal # of them around and a lot of them were huge.

Many groups of campers are getting pretty greedy with the amount of real estate they are cordoning off. I swear a couple of groups had 1/3 or more of some of the fingers roped off and some of those were the worse offenders of the worm-trail builders. I heard from a co-worker that was at Glamis that the cops there were physically tearing down a lot of these over-sized cordons.

Again, sorry to have missed most of you all and Ross, we were hoping to link up and have you guys swing by Sat night and enjoy some of our fire & beverages but as I said above, we had to bail.

Maybe next time guys, be safe.

Rich
ASA Member

Ross & Alice
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Ross & Alice »

I guess so KEV. Where'd everybody go?
Last TDay the boards were jumpin.

The Slappy board not much better.

Anyway,, We camp out some distance at Dumont to avoid the loud music like you mentioned, but the kids like the atmosphere of being closer in to the dunes.

Close in that is, until they realized I parked way out mostly to avoid the dust.

RichB made an appearance, I imagine he'll check in soon.

Tons of people that reconized us from the boating forums stopped by, and more mention of Glamis and Dumont is talked over there than here.

Only repairs from this trip:

The trailers stairs mounting failed (a Fleetwood weekpoint) so I drilled and mounted some strengthening brackets. Plus the TV gave up (gotta have football and T Birds on Tech TV). I found a deal on a 20" flat screen stereo at Wall Mart for $99. so all is fixed, RV serviced and put away until New Years.

Great trip, need to organize a Tday group trip next year.

Considering a Glamis/Dumont combination trip this Hoiliday season.
A few days in Glamis,, then on to Dumont for a few days more & New Years.

Oh well, Thats it for now,,- Ross

Ross & Alice
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Ross & Alice »

RichB wrote:
Again, sorry to have missed most of you all and Ross, we were hoping to link up and have you guys swing by Sat night and enjoy some of our fire & beverages but as I said above, we had to bail.

Maybe next time guys, be safe.

Rich
We hooked up with SANDEMON after we talked to you Rich, but no ride materailzed.
My son came down with a fever, so we spent most of the rest of Friday and Sat with him in bed.
(Glad I have Sat TV, but the TV died of course.)

Hopeing for some winds and dry weather soon to smooth out the dunes.

Ya sold us on the White Bros pipe.
Glad I talked to you.

I called White Bros, and as usual the rep just replied: Ahhhhh I dunno,, Ahhhh maybe but I Dunno,,,,,,,,,,, ahhhhhh,, not sure.

Anyway, the White Bros seems like the way to go, especially compaired to others.

The Sand Stars, the same thing. I called ITP and the Rep said: Ahhhh I dunno,,,, Ahhhh, maybe but I dunno,,,,, Ahhhh , not sure.

Anyway, I ordered from Rocky Mtn ATV like you did, and they were super knowlegeable and helpfull, and great prices (no salestax, and free shipping).

See Ya New Years.

By the way, we're always stocked with kids over the counter medicines, ect. if ya guys ever need anything.

And adult medicines too,,, Tres Hermanos, Baccardi, Coors, ect.

- Ross

RichB

Post by RichB »

Ross,

Sorry to hear about Trev, that stuff is going around like wildfire. Glad to hear we didn't miss out on a dune ride after all, I was looking forward to shredding some sand with some of the vet duners. As far as the TV, we had an extra one, wish I would've known you could've borrowed it. Oh yeah, our trailer was a rolling pharmacy going in so we had the antibiotics on hand but felt it prudent to get back to town and get more.

Hope you enjoy the WB pipe, the one on our 400 is first WB pipe I've ever owned. As I think I told you I had the exact same experience when calling ITP and WB. You'd think they'd know something about their products I mean as far as the pipes DW mag did a Z400 shootout (dyno, rides, and sound testing) and WB told me the exact opposite in regard to DB output of their 2 products and did not have any Hp #'s. Anyway, for those of us that don't race I think it is one of the best values when you take into consideration it's spark arrested, tuneable for power and sound, has a nice sound and is hands-down the best fabricated pipe I've ever put on a bike or ATV. Plus you get a free WB air filter and a main jet and even better it's all with free shipping from Rocky Mtn. It's hard to go wrong with all those plusses (IMO) going for ya.

The wife and I have off the Christmas week so we'll be out during that weekend and as such will prolly not be out on new years. I tentatively plan on taking the trailer back to the warrior factory around that time anyhow in hopes of having it ready for prez wkend. If I miss you guys over the holidays be safe out there and enjoy.
ASA Member

YFZ Bob
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by YFZ Bob »

YFZ450 kid wrote: The YFZ 450 has a couple problems.
The seat toooo hard.
The thumb throttle is to far away from the grip, at a bad angle, and the throttle return spring is way too hard.
Ross,
I agree with ya there! Rode the 450 for half the day and went straight to Vendor Alley to see if someone had a Fix for this.
I found Cascade Innovation has an extended Billet Thumb Throttle just for the YFZ and a Seat Cover with an extra Inch of Foam. Bob

http://www.cascade-innovations.com/

Sandemon
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Sandemon »

You guys are right, it was ROUGH :!: We got there on Tue and found out my gen. died but I hooked onto my friends so we still had power when we needed it. T-Day was great but we all ate to much so not to much riding. On Fri. morning I got to the hill a little late (10:15) but still saw Ross and Trevor sorry I missed the rest of you. My buggy ran great all week, but my friends had problems. Someday they will both run great at the same time, yea right! One of these days I will get Ross to take a picture of it and post it so people will know what to look for, as my digital camera has issues. The only other problem was the Mexican music played way to loud on Sat. night/Sunday morning. What is with people not leaving any space between camps, there needs to be a space to get through, if we do not solve these things ourselves the BLM will solve them for us. :twisted: 8) :)
The ORIGINAL Sandemon
Member of D.U.N.E.R.
Go Hard or Go HomePick Up Your Trash

RichB

Post by RichB »

Sandemon wrote: What is with people not leaving any space between camps, there needs to be a space to get through, if we do not solve these things ourselves the BLM will solve them for us. :twisted: 8) :)
No doubt. We've seen a lot of un-Dumont like behavior this winter and that is just 1 example. Sometimes we crested a finger on the way back to camp and found there was no route through so we did like most and just went in between the widest gap.

Take care.
ASA Member

Ross & Alice
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Ross & Alice »

Bansheebob wrote:
YFZ450 kid wrote: The YFZ 450 has a couple problems.
The seat toooo hard.
Ross,
I agree with ya there! Rode the 450 for half the day and went straight to Vendor Alley to see if someone had a Fix for this.
I found Cascade Innovation has an extended Billet Thumb Throttle just for the YFZ and a Seat Cover with an extra Inch of Foam. Bob

http://www.cascade-innovations.com/
Bob,

My A** is still sore like after getting a few swats in Junior High,
Really, my butt still stings.

Was Cascade at Dumont? Anyway to contact them before our next trip?

I thought about your post all day and I definately want to recover my seat.

Are you going to re jet your YFZ 450 or have you already? Whats your take on re jetting?

Any truth to the tale that putting on a pipe only on the YFZ 450 will sieze the engine??
According to Honda lovers, the new Honda 450EX is a 10 foot tall giant, and we're all going to die.

DAMFINO!

rbcobra
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by rbcobra »

Had a great time over t-day weekend. We stayed outside the first finger in a group of about 30 coaches. No bike problems, but right when we got there on Wed night, all trailer electric went out. Luckily some of the other folks we camped with knew something more than I did and we got the problem fixed fairly quickly. The wife took a spill at the top of Comp Hill on Thursday. Thanks to whoever helped the lady on the yellow 400 EX!. She is still sore, but nothing permantly broken.

My buddy had not so good luck, his brand new 2 wheeler broke on the first ride thurs morning. His buggy was only running on 2 cylinders and his son rolled his raptor (which just came out of the shop with $3k in repairs from the last ride at Hungry Valley!). Luckily we camped with someone else who knew VW engines and after readjusting all of his valves, he was ok.

We were camped next to a group that had a huge worm track built, must have taken up 1 acre in tape for 3 coaches! Talk about rude. It was very difficult to try and get over any of the fingers as there was so much if them were taped off. Many of the camps did not even have the kids riding up the dunes, just had their kids playing on them.

Tried to find the group for the ride, but no one was there. Had some fun on the hill though while waiting.

I will be back next year and we are trying to go out for New Years. Hope to see some of you there if we do.
2004 KFX 700 V-Force
2002 400EX
2002 Warrior
2002 Mojave
(2) 2003 Raptor 80's
2004 Raptor 50
1999 CR250
97 Dolphin 535 MOHO

RichB

Post by RichB »

[quote="YFZ450 kid
Are you going to re jet your YFZ 450 or have you already? Whats your take on re jetting?

![/quote]

Ross,

Not to toot my own horn but I spent much time and effort researching and playing with my old 426 and ended up darn good at it. The biggest thing to tuning that engine/carb combo is to get a fuel screw adjustment tool (preferably one that stays attached) and to use it frequently. The YZF mill and that FCF carb are VERY sensitive to where that thing is set at. Look at your exhaust tip and plug color and tune it so that you get minor popping on decel, then just turn it out a bit to eliminate it. You will need to go up on the main when you get that pipe but weather will necessitate you adjust the fuel screw often.

A lot of folks think that these thumpers are fire and forget but my experience was the carb did need tweaking from time to time and what I ended up with was a bike that would start 1st or 2nd kick (kick-starting I mind you) whether it was broiling hot or ice cold. A lot of folks complained about hot starts and stuff which I attribute to mis-adjusted carb settings.

Good luck with it, my old 426 was the most bullet-proof off-road vehicle I ever owned. Just keep telling yourself "Its time to change the oil"

Rich
ASA Member

Ross & Alice
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Ross & Alice »

I've found a lot of info on re jetting it on the net.

Did you re jet your 450, and what size (pilots and Main), and how many clicks on the needle?

The white bros pipe seems like the way to go.

I think you mentioned you can tune the pipe with more plates.
Did extra plates come with the pipe?

Thanks, Ross.

RichB

Post by RichB »

YFZ450 kid wrote:I've found a lot of info on re jetting it on the net.

Did you re jet your 450, and what size (pilots and Main), and how many clicks on the needle?

The white bros pipe seems like the way to go.

I think you mentioned you can tune the pipe with more plates.
Did extra plates come with the pipe?

Thanks, Ross.
I used a 168 main in the winter and a 165 in the summer (for sea level). With the pipe the needle was usually set on the 3rd clip. Stock pilot. Don't forget that I was adjusting the fuel screw and on almost ride-by-ride basis and would have to rejet much leaner for Utah trail/dune riding which was usually between 5500 and 11k feet.

WB will give you the amount of plates they tested with that got the most power between the dyno and seat of the pants testing. You can easily buy more plates to tune it for your riding style/power delivery/noise tolerance level preferences. There is a ton of optional accessories for these pipes, from different end caps, to titanium plates (normal ones are stainless).

You can use the net as a guide but each engine runs a bit different coupled with how the guy behind the throttle rides it can make a big difference in what it needs. Use the exhaust tip and insulator color as indicators of how it's burning coupled with how it feels (pulls). If you don't do anything else get a fuel screw adjustment tool, you need it for stock or wildly modified, doesn't matter.

This type of tuning isn't that hard once you know what to look for and it should be done by you because someone at a shop can only set it for what they think you need which may be way off from reality.
ASA Member

conrad
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by conrad »

Yikes! White Brothers is the way to go? Try a DMC Alien exhaust on that YFZ450 or any ATV for that matter! How about 9.9 Horse Power for the YFZ450! All 4 stroke systems use a stainless head pipe with a rolled aluminum muffler AND has optional Spark Arrestor OR Quiet Core spark arrestor. DBs for the YFZ450 is 102, with the quiet core SA your looking 95dbs with a 1 hp loss. The fit and finish is FANTASTIC! Feel free to take a look at one on a bike next time your at the hill.
I laughed at the post about White Brothers sales reps responses to you guys! Do they even ride?
Yes I sell DMC (manufacturer/distributor), yes I ride, yes I have a long travel sand rail, yes I love the dunes more than anything! Most of my co-workers ride and we can answer almost any tech question you have!
You made a good choice by purchasing from Rocky Mountain- one of my buddies accounts!
Feel free to check out http://www.dmc-on-line.com for your application.

Ross & Alice
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Ross & Alice »

Avoid the Yamaha GYT pipes.
Last month on my Raptor, the carbon Fiber innards blew out about 20 minutes after I installed it.

At comp Hill, some others with the Yamaha GYT said they experienced the same.
"Gee, Is my exhaust suddenly louder for some reason?"

Yamaha is very aware of the problem, as are the dealers, but sell them anyway.

Ross & Alice
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Ross & Alice »

Conrad wrote:Yikes! White Brothers is the way to go? Try a DMC Alien exhaust on that YFZ450 or any ATV for that matter! How about 9.9 Horse Power for the YFZ450! All 4 stroke systems use a stainless head pipe with a rolled aluminum muffler AND has optional Spark Arrestor OR Quiet Core spark arrestor. DBs for the YFZ450 is 102, with the quiet core SA your looking 95dbs with a 1 hp loss. The fit and finish is FANTASTIC! Feel free to take a look at one on a bike next time your at the hill.
I laughed at the post about White Brothers sales reps responses to you guys! Do they even ride?
Yes I sell DMC (manufacturer/distributor), yes I ride, yes I have a long travel sand rail, yes I love the dunes more than anything! Most of my co-workers ride and we can answer almost any tech question you have!
You made a good choice by purchasing from Rocky Mountain- one of my buddies accounts!
Feel free to check out http://www.dmc-on-line.com for your application.
What jetting and carb settings do you recomend for the Alien with the quiet core for the YFZ 450?

RichB

Post by RichB »

Conrad,

Doesn't the Honda 450 and the Yamaha 450 come stock with titanium head pipes (I know the 2-wheeled versions do)? I wouldn't pay extra for a stainless headpipe to toss a stock titanium one. The stock headpipes were always acceptable on the big MX thumpers, the big gains where made in the neck/canister.

Thank you for being honest and noteing you sell DMC products. I'm sure your stuff is good quality however, don't confuse the fact that company A has a dork answering the phone with the quality of their product. Ross and I were both talking about how ITP was the same way (clueless on the phone), but their products are top-notch.

The supertrapp design WB is using might not produce the most peak hp but it is a solid, time tested design. In a magazine shootout for my wife's KFX 400 the WB pipe was rated very highly when you put all the factors together. They did not make the most hp but they were competative in that department (added hp across the entire curve) and shined in the quality/price/db categories.

Again, to me everything comes down to best value for the recreational rider. For $218 to my door I got a pipe, air filter, and main jet. Additionally, this setup will meet the new USFS sound regulations without having to buy additional hardware. To go the DMC Alien route would've cost me $377 for the exhaust system (plus shipping), and $63 for the combo spark arrestor/quiet core insert. So that's $440 vs. $218 which is obviously more than double not counting shipping, the freebie air filter and main jet.

If I was going to buy a full race pipe for that quad where sound was not an issue I'd get a tapered neck design pipe with a wide open canister like the Thunder Alley I had on my YZ. I could pull a taller gear almost everywhere with it but the db's were way up in the earplug arena. It all depends what a buyer is going to use it for/want's to spend.
ASA Member

Return to “Dumont Dunes”