Cleanups, Meetings, Calls to Action...

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair
Please enter the middle number: 5

Help needed at High Octane Motorsports

Post by Sloppyduner » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:37 pm

We are looking for Volunteers to help with the High Octane Motorsports Expo March 14th-16th. We need volunteers to spend an hour or two while at the show, either signing up new members, selling merchandise, or raffle tickets for the new Extreme Performance Raffle Car.

We are also in desperate need of volunteers to help set up the booth Thursday March 13th from 8 AM till Noon, and people to help man the booth on Friday the 14th.

Your volunteer efforts are what it takes to help keep our sport alive by maintaining access to sand areas.

If you are going to be there, OR want to come to Fontana to give a couple of hours of help to the ASA, please contact Jon Pergl at trynspellpergl@sbcglobal.net

What: High Octane Motorsports
Where: Auto Club Dragway
9300 Cherry Avenue
Fontana, CA 92335

Admission:$10.00 for Adults - Children under 12 are Free
When:
Friday March 14, 2008 from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Saturday March 15, 2008 from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m
Sunday March 16, 2008 from 9:00am to 6:00 p.m

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Sandcock » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:57 pm

Sloppy,

Is parking free :?:
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Woodglue » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:00 pm

Stickied for ya Jon! :wink:

Folks,
Please chime in and help out here, where you can.

Jon needs help with setting up and working the booth on Thursday [Mar13] in the morning and on Friday [Mar14] in the booth.

Please holler up here in this thread, or e-mail Jon at trynspellpergl@sbcglobal.net, or e-mail our new Volunteer Coordinator [i.e. me] at volunteers@asasand.org.

Thank you, in advance, for stepping up when help is needed. =D>
Regards,
-Mike Reber.
ASA Volunteer Coordinator.

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:03 pm

Sandcock wrote:Sloppy,

I don't know if it is or not, but if it's not free than it is tax-deductable [if you're there for the ASA]! :wink:

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:09 pm

Parking is free.

URL for the site and more info.
http://highoctanemotorsportsexpo.com/
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:11 pm

Woodglue wrote:
Sandcock wrote:Sloppy,

I don't know if it is or not, but if it's not free than it is tax-deductable [if you're there for the ASA]! :wink:
Free parking OR there is a Metro link station there.

See Sandy C has already sent me an E-mail letting me know he's gonna help out Friday. PLEEEEASE don't let me be in a booth by myself with this guy. [-o<

Do we have any stay at home moms that can come out Friday? [-o< [-o<

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:02 am

Sooooooooooooooo, who's coming out to protect you Sloppy :?: Those that do need to bring a chair.............or fight for the rights to sit on the ice chest :lol:

Rekd
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Re: Help needed at High Octane Motorsports

Post by Rekd » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:57 am

Sloppyduner wrote: Admission:$10.00 for Adults - Children under 12 are Free
I would guess that the ASA has arranged for free admission for those volunteering for the show. ?? :wink:
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by ChuckZilla » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:42 am

In, most likely.
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent
If you leave trash, you are trash

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:18 pm

ChuckZilla wrote:In, most likely.
If you only knew how far "in" you were. :lol: Ladys and gentelmen!!! Step right up and see a real live Chuckzilla. Don't worry folks that chain is only there for your protection. Feel free to feed the Chuckzilla! Best not to get your hands to close just leave the food on the table and take a step back.

Oh ya Chuck-Rick Your in...Your in.

Woodglue

Re: Help needed at High Octane Motorsports

Post by Woodglue » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:19 pm

Rekd wrote:
Sloppyduner wrote: Admission:$10.00 for Adults - Children under 12 are Free
I would guess that the ASA has arranged for free admission for those volunteering for the show. ?? :wink:
Admission is always prearranged as free if you're working the booth, but a lot of show promoters are getting clever and charging parking for everyone, even Vendors.

I suppose one could ask the ASA to pay for the parking, but that would be counter-productive of supporting the ASA, as its a cost that they can not recover. For this reason, and anticipating more costs like this, I asked my tax preparer about this and it [i.e. any costs borne out of Volunteering... parking, mileage, food, supplies, etc] was confirmed to be tax deductible.

And right then, just like that, the ASA became my new good best friend! :P
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:33 pm

:idea: Are lost keys tax deductable You were volunteering when I lost them :oops:

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:19 am

LAST CALL!!!!

Actually got help for Thursday and Friday now I'd like a few more people to put in some hours on Saturday and or Sunday. [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

PM me or E-mail me PLEASE if you can make it.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:45 am

I'll be there Sat in the a.m. and as needed throughout the day. I may bring my nephew that was with me at wash 24, is that ok?

Are we adequately stocked my bruder, safety dvds, t-shirts, hats, etc :)

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:02 am

Sloppy, I'll be there to snuggle up with you between 2-3 today (Friday) :wink:

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:58 am

There will be no snuggling today. Come to think of it there will never be any snuggling. :D

Look for this but with stuff set out and lots more booths around it.

Call my cell before you leave the house please I may need heavy stuff if its windy.

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:17 pm

VOLUNTEERS RULE!!!!

Lots more to post about this later, but I just got home from the show and I thought instead of repeating it to myself over and over again I should let any and everyone who has ever volunteered for the ASA know that you ARE an awesome group of people...Just in case you guys (and gals) didn't know already. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Thunderjake101
1st Gear Member

Post by Thunderjake101 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:14 pm

Yeah, that was great. Got people to sign up and all. Good times, good times. by the way, sloppy, thanks for helping me get those pics.
Life is too short. Be the best you can be, keeping pushing forward and never look back.

[Insert Witty Signature Here]

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:08 am

Oh No! Jacob is on the board :shock: What pictures? I didn't see any pictures. I don't know what your talking about. Camera phone? Never used one. Wouldn't know how. [-( =; [-X :-^ O:)

Ya, you rocked the show like a pimp. You did an awesome job.Image Anytime you want to work in a booth is cool with me.

This weekend was like that. Youngster, newbies, new youngsters. they all did a great job. And the old timers hung in there too :wink:

djw

Post by djw » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:55 pm

Slop-dude,

The booth looked great and the people...
well doesn't get any better.

Reminded me of the Funco raffle(s) Pomona, in Roger's space.
Low key, getting the message out.
Until I kept losing those keys. :shock:
Eh, Ron, Grant? :wink:

Congrates to you and all the volunteers.
djw
W8AME

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:48 pm

just got back from disneyland and sneezy told me to tell sloppy hi :D how was sunday :?:

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:17 pm

Thunderjake101 wrote:Yeah, that was great. Got people to sign up and all. Good times, good times.
Wow Jake, thanks for Volunteering, and WELOCME TO THE BOARD! \:D/

Still waiting to hear Jon's Volunteer report, but Sandcock, I know you were there too. THANK YOU. =D> You're becoming a regular at these shows now eh? :lol:.

If you all would like to VOLUNTEER some more, again or still.... I'm your man! :wink:

Just click here :arrow: volunteers@asasand.org and we'll get it on! \:D/

-Mike Reber
ASA Volunteer Coordinator

Thunderjake101
1st Gear Member

Post by Thunderjake101 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:04 pm

Sloppyduner wrote:Ya, you rocked the show like a pimp. You did an awesome job.Image Anytime you want to work in a booth is cool with me.
I might just have to take you up on that. You just might be seeing me more often. 8)
Life is too short. Be the best you can be, keeping pushing forward and never look back.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:30 pm

Might ThunderJake be my nephew :?: Your dad know you are on this bbs BOY :?:

Thunderjake101
1st Gear Member

Post by Thunderjake101 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:46 pm

I'm sure he doesn't mind. I mean, its the aSa forums, come on. Nothing bad can come out of it. Unless sloppy has something out for me, then maybe. Otherwise, I don't see any problems. :D

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:48 pm

I just pecked out that volunteer report to Woody. I left out he part where Jacob was sneeking beers and hanging around the calender girls. :lol:

Seriously I gotta give huge thanks to all the volunteers that made this show seriously fun...oh and helpful to the off road community too.

Lisa Markly showed up at the crack of dawn Thursday to help set up the booth didn't run screaming when my daughter started barking orders at her, and didn't laugh too hard at us for not having the top of the canopy. For some strange reason she brought her mother back the next day to help out. Either she hates her mother or we were cheap entertainment. Or it could have been because Holly Beachard needed someone to hang around with. With those three in the booth I needed some guy back up. Jonas showed up around 11 on Friday. The wind was blowing pretty hard by then and there wasn't too many people at the show so I stayed in the booth with the three women :wink: and had him come back later. Scott "Sandcock" Tant showed up about 2 with a chair in one hand and a bag of burritos and tangerines in the other. That guy is ruthless. In two years as Jim Collins gets older and Scotty becomes more informed I would like to see a membership sign up off between the two. Scotty has talent AND he stayed with me till the end of the day Friday.

Saturday Chuckzilla met me in the parking lot and helped me set up. Scott weaseled his way in the show with his nephew Jacob (Jake) right behind us. We were open for business and ready get busy in no time. But wouldn't you know it another cold windy day. People talked of rain, but we hoped for the best. It was slow as Dwayne ("djw") showed up out of nowhere out of a plume of smoke.

Not long after, also out of no where, there was a strange law student in our booth yelling at old drunk attendees to put down that frisbee and sign up. Seriously Mary Carter knew nothing about the ASA but was signing members up left and right by the end of the afternoon. Nobody knows if she had ever even been to Glamis before. Again with attendance low and as thunder clouds full cold wet stuff settled over the California Speedway Scotty, Jacob, and myself packed up and secured the booth for the night and headed for the parking lot. I wasn't home 3 miles away 5 minutes before the clouds opened up.

It was a cold an Wet Sunday morning in Fontana as Chuck arrived with his coffee in one hand and an Arizona and towel in the other. By 10 the weather was warm enough to take off our jackets when Nina Lemay arrived with her daughter Natasha and husband Steve. By 11:30 Chuck was owned by these two newbies in their game of "Who can sign up the most members". Remember that Mary person from the day before who hasn't been to Glamis yet and didn't know about the ASA when she walked through the gates the day before? She came back on Sunday... just because she said she would. =D> =D> Sunday afternoon was nice for a while. The crowd was small but the group in the booth was big. Raffle tickets t-shirts and calenders trickled out of the trailer as membership applications grew in their box. Sadly the day came to an end. The Lemay family pitched in big, the same way Lisa Markley did, but in reverse, packing up the trailer. Chuckzillia stayed with me and helped hook the trailer up until Richard from Extreme showed up to get the car and we were off like the wind.

Yes it was a cold, windy, and wet weekend. But we're duners. We thrive in bad conditions.

For example on Saturday when the wind really kicked up we got the idea to take this 15X23' tarp down. You'd think it would be pretty comical right? Well it was...at first. Then you get 4 dune going people on it and you can't even get off any funny pictures.

And check out that dope pimp Jacob just standing there giving that tarp the evil eye. That tarp knew who it was messing with, and laid right the heck down.

This was the first show I have done as Ca Events chair where EVERY SINGLE volunteer who said they were going to show up actually showed up. Unfortunately all the people who were suppose to attend the show didn't show the same courtesy. If they did the ASA volunteers would have kicked 10x's more butt than they did. A HUGE HUGE thanks to ALL who helped out.
Lisa Markly
Karen Markly
Holly Beachard
Scotty Taint
Jacob the pimp
Dwayne "Iforgotyourlastname"djw
Chuck Moore
Jonas You never tol me your last name
Nina Lemay
Tasha Lemay
Steve Lemay
Brittany Pergl
Mary Carter
Julie Krough for talking people into going
Mike Reber for making some people go
Bill Jones for his help behind the scenes
Brian Trapp for his info on setting up an outside show
and Richard along with HIS helpers from Extreme Performance.

Theres not enough =D> on the internet to give you all the =D> you all deserve.

THANK YOU ALL HEAPS MANY MILES TALL !!!!!!

I’m gonna go play off road fury now until its time for me to pack up my trailer for a mid week trip to Glamis with the Lemays after Easter. \:D/

See ya'll in May at the Extreme Expo in Costa Mesa.

Thunderjake101
1st Gear Member

Post by Thunderjake101 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:48 pm

Sloppyduner wrote:And check out that dope pimp Jacob just standing there giving that tarp the evil eye. That tarp knew who it was messing with, and laid right the heck down.
thats because I'm awesome and that tarp feared me. and You know it. Yeah, i'll see what I can do to help out in May.

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:34 pm

See you in May then hopfully. Sorry no tarps there BUT!!! there will be lots of wallpapering oportunities. Charge your batteries brudder.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 am

I left out he part where Jacob was sneeking beers and hanging around the calender girls. :lol: :shock:

Return to “Upcoming Events”