Pismo=DISASTER

California State OHV Park

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

MadMotoWorks
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Pismo=DISASTER

Post by MadMotoWorks »

I agree now that they really need to do something with Pismo. During the closure months they need to really limit the amount of people that are able to be out there. I almost was ran over numerous times, and I had 2 friends get hit by other riders. It was the worst trip Ive ever had in the 15 years Ive been going. What amased me the most was that it was supposed to be an "off" weekend. There must be no such thing now. Very sad!

Poiks
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Re: Pismo=DISASTER

Post by Poiks »

MadMotoWorks wrote: During the closure months they need to really limit the amount of people that are able to be out there.
What they really need to do is upon up a lot more of it to relieve the congestion. It's obvious that this is what the public wants.

quad1100
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by quad1100 »

Yep, no such thing as an off weekend at Pismo in the summer any longer. About 10 years ago you could go on an off weekend and get overnight camping at the gate, now a days come Sat. morning it is sold out.

It is way to congested out in the dunes, about a year ago I felt the same way, you could not go up a dune without the threat of hitting someone at the top.

shoebox
1st Gear Member

Post by shoebox »

Was this in the dunes? Did you have a look out at the top? Are your friends alright? It seems that a few people do not have any rider etiqutte. It's a shame that a few can affect so many in a negative way.

MadMotoWorks
1st Gear Member

Post by MadMotoWorks »

I always have look outs. I actually had a buddy on both sides of the top. There were so many people riding everywhere, you couldn't tell who might turn your way. Very frustrating. They were even waiving at them to go the other direction. I searched every inch of sand to try and get away from all the "un-experienced" riders, but you just couldn't. I got there thurseday evening and they had already sold out for the rest of the weekend. Seems everyone is making reservations now. Kinda sad. You can't make a last minute trip anymore.

Doesn't it seem like anytime you do a political fight, they figure numbers creates more power? But sometimes, I think it gets to the point of hurting you in the end. All it does is draw that much more attention to a subject. I really wish people would turn to "other sports", and maybe things would go back to the way they used to be. Just my naive, greedy opinion.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

I just got back from Pismo last night. My last trip was 3-4 years ago and I can't believe how different it was. First, the place was packed beyond belief. I think many people were coming in after and before the Rangers arrived and left for the day, thereby bypassing the need to check in. In fact it was soooo easy to "sneak" in, the reservation system is a joke.

2nd, they have way too many rental atv businesses. The number of inexperienced duners was INSANE. If you are not watching your back at Pismo, you'll be one of the MANY people that get shipped out of there in the back of a 4x4 ambulance every single day.

One day my group came across a father and his 8 year old son stuck at the bottom of one of the steepest dunes in Pismo in one of the little 40hp rental "buggies". There was no way that buggy could go up the face of the dune. My friends and I had to lead him out by transitioning across the dunes, which he obviously knew nothing about. I'm sure the rental company just took his credit card and showed him how to start the darn thing. That guy had no business being were he was.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar »

Glamisbound, tell us how your new rig did at Pismo. Where did you camp? Get stuck? :lol:

YFZ Bob
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by YFZ Bob »

Just got back also... Being it was our first trip there, I couldn't understand why sooooo many riders where running around like Chickens with their heads cut off. It was then I found out Pismo offered ATV Rental there... YIKES!!! We had several near misses and watched a guy go for Big Air and crashed on a rental. Hum... Makes you wonder what % of all ATV accidents are rental related??? :roll:

HEY GlamisBound!!! Had an AWESOME TIME riding with your group!!!!! :D

Nice Coach BTW! High Tide almost turned it into a Yacht/Moterhome :lol:

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Glamisbound, tell us how your new rig did at Pismo. Where did you camp? Get stuck?
It did pretty good. When I first arrived I just pointed it into my spot and gunned it. Got stuck of course but didn't worry about that until Sunday. It came right out with the help of the new 30,000 pound tow strap I bought before the trip and my friends new F350 Diesel 4x4.

The main problem was I didn't get far enough into the soft sand and the tide was getting higher on the days we were there. Had to build a 3' tall sand berm around it which literally saved my rig from getting wet. Ask YZF Bob, he was there.
HEY GlamisBound!!! Had an AWESOME TIME riding with your group!!!!!
Thanks Bob, we had a great time hooking up with you guys too. Just wish we could have got more rides in, the weekend went way too fast. :cry:
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

YFZ Bob
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by YFZ Bob »

:lol: I thought it was the Great Wall of Pismo... It Looked great! Sand Wall did it's job! :lol: No kidding about the weekend, It Flew right past us!

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar »

Glamisbound wrote: Got stuck of course but didn't worry about that until Sunday. It came right out with the help of the new 30,000 pound tow strap I bought before the trip and my friends new F350 Diesel 4x4.
Did you air down the MH? If so what PSI?

Also, where on the MH did you attach the strap? Theres no place up front that I can see without ripping your fiberglass up. I'm guessing you used the rear hitch. I'm going this weekend and I'm preparing myself.

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

Glamisbound wrote:Had to build a 3' tall sand berm around it which literally saved my rig from getting wet. Ask YZF Bob, he was there.
3' wow, your lucky you didn't have anyone racing up that sucker. :lol:

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Did you air down the MH? If so what PSI?
Negative, it wasn't necessary.
Also, where on the MH did you attach the strap?
I have a front generator that is attached to a steel frame that is bolted directly to the chassis. It was sufficiently hefty enough!
3' wow, your lucky you didn't have anyone racing up that sucker.
I had quards posted to keep all the renters out :P
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

BPinnell
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by BPinnell »

Totally agreed,

My girlfriend's family lives in Arroyo Grande, and she was down visiting, and went to get a camping pass for the weekend(since my day use yearly pass was up at the end of Aug, and the new ones are 50 BUCKS!) and she was told that there were "**** near sold out" on a thursday afternoon,! Downright dismal, we found a nice bowl to camp in (next to a closed area that we'd estimate to be safe) and about 2:00 AM, some idiot (probably from my home town of Bakersfield <3) decided to crest the hill and come by us at about 35-40mph with little to no control.

Needless to say, it kinda ruined our night, so we went back to the high ground. We kept our spirits up and went out for a couple more day jaunts.

I miss the old days at Oceano, where when we were in high school, we could skip out of school and drive two hours to ride innertubes behind our trucks, and chase down the idiots who'd drive through our camp....
There is nothing more dangerous than a hybrid with a driver.

Return to “Pismo Oceano Dunes”