BROADBAND WIRELESS INTERNET QUESTION

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

MR. PETE
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

BROADBAND WIRELESS INTERNET QUESTION

Post by MR. PETE »

I know that this is not a GPS or two-way radio related, but it is none-the-less electronics related.

So, I would like to know if anybody has and uses a broadband wireless internet service (Verison, Sprint, etc.) when you are at ISDRA?

Is the reception any good, especially along the Gecko road area?

FYI: Last August I got the Verison set up and found that the coverage area was good in the Orange County/LA city areas. However the coverage in the non-city locations was not good or simply unavailable.

Since I planned on mostly using it at non-city/remote locations (I do not need it for my day to day operations), I returned it within the 15 day trial/return period.

However, I might reconsider if there is a good coverage area at the ISDRA.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jhitesma »

I've never tried those setups...but I do have Verizon for my cell and the little symbol indicating the network is capable of high speed data does come on when I'm at Gordon's.

It was kind of funny actually. First weekend I had the phone out at Gordon's I was with someone who had just switched from Verizon to Cingular because he could never get a signal on Verizon at Gordon's. We were out in the dunes and he wanted to call his wife back at camp....but even on the highest nearby hill he couldn't get a signal with his phone. My ultra-cheap (cheapest phone available from Verizon) Verizon was half scale on the signal bar so he had to use it :D

This little lg VX3200 is a great phone if you don't want any bells or whistles. I usually get at least a week out of a charge on the stock battery. I get signal when no one else (even other Verizon users) don't get a signal and it's even got a connector to use a higher gain external antenna! No games but it can use mp3 ringtones and they actually sound pretty good (you just have to hack the phone yourself if you don't want to pay Verizons outragous prices for tones ;) )

We were at Yosemite for a friends wedding a few months ago and only two of us had reliable signals in the park on our phones even though almost all of us had Verizon. It was just an analog signal and the problem was a lot of the people with fancier newer phones didn't have analog capability. But even in areas with high speed digital coverage I seem to get a signal when others don't for some reason.

My only complaint about the 3200 is there's no outside LCD so you can't see who's calling until you open the phone. Which makes the "answer a call when you open the phone" feature kind of useless if you want to use caller ID.

MR. PETE
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MR. PETE »

My understanding is that the broadband signal is different than the cell phone signal, and therefore requires a different type of transmitter/receiver located on the "tower" than is required for the cell phone.

When I had the Verison Broadband set-up, my friends Verison phone got service in places that the broadband did not. When I was up at Lake Tahoe, after about an hour on the phone with a Verison rep trying to figure out why I wasn't able to get any broadband signal. He finally asked me what the zip code was at my location there and after I told him he came back a minute later and told me that there was no service at that area of the lake.

Apparently, similar to the early days of the cell phone service the "Broadband tower system" (a.k.a. infrastructure) has to be built. And of course the more densly populated areas will get the service first.

So of course, at home and around town the broadband signal was great - about as fast as my cable and DSL. But I do not need it here.

I was thinking that if the broadband signal was available and the signal was good, there would be a good excuse for me leaving a little earlier during the week to go to Glamis and finish up some work once I was there watching the kids carving out tracks next to camp. :)

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Yes it is a different signal. My phone just happens to indicate what kind of signal it's recieving - When I'm in an area with the enhanced data capability it shows a little "1x" which I do get at Gordon's.

I haven't been to Glamis since I got this phone so I don't know what the coverage is like up there.

sandhead
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by sandhead »

It’s plausible that someone could shoot a wifi (2.4 gig) bridge signal between Brawley and Gecko using yagi antennas. After you get it to Gecko you could create a hot spot using a Omni on an RV.

In a demonstration I seen wireless bridges work up to 20 miles using pringle cans at 500mv

Maybe somebody could make supplemental income this way.
KE6IBH

YumaSucks
1st Gear Member

Post by YumaSucks »

:lol: I use DIRECWAY it is the system i use at home, just take the unit from my home and stick it in the rv....
Somedays your the bug,Somedays your the windsheild

MR. PETE
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MR. PETE »

YumaSucks wrote:
I use DIRECWAY it is the system i use at home, just take the unit from my home and stick it in the rv...
Where do you park at Glamis and is Direcway a hi speed internet provider? Never heard of Direcway. Any more info?

YFZ Bob
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by YFZ Bob »

I was camped in Gecko Loop last weekend, I was able to get 1X coverage on my Moto815. :D It also worked over at Boardmanville

MR. PETE
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MR. PETE »

I was camped in Gecko Loop last weekend, I was able to get 1X coverage on my Moto815. It also worked over at Boardmanville
Sorry YFZ Bob, I have no idea what 1X coverage on my Moto815 means. What is that?

(I think Yamaha used to make a kid quad that was called Moto 4. :lol: )

I only know that Verizon and Sprint (maybe others) have a card that goes into a PC slot and provides a wireless high speed internet connection - that is, as long as there is a signal to latch onto nearby.

SandCarFan
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by SandCarFan »

The broadband PC Cards from Verizon try to connect at "DO" speeds first (DO is Data Only). If it cannot get the proper signal from a local cell site, it'll default to CDMA2000 1X data rates.

I've used the Verizon PC card at Gordons with VERY good success, not so up north at either Gecko Rd or the flats. Very usable for email and not bad at all for web sites.

MR. PETE
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MR. PETE »

Thanks Sandcarfan for the info.

When I had the Verizon pc card, I experienced the super slow download rate on occation. Most frustrating.

If this default _ _ _1X data rate that you speak of is the same super slow download speed that I have experienced, then I think I will wait until the broadband system expands enough to cover the north dunes areas, like the cell phone coverage.

I'll admit it, the internet cable and DSL speeds have spoiled me.

YumaSucks
1st Gear Member

Post by YumaSucks »

MR. PETE wrote:YumaSucks wrote:
I use DIRECWAY it is the system i use at home, just take the unit from my home and stick it in the rv...
Where do you park at Glamis and is Direcway a hi speed internet provider? Never heard of Direcway. Any more info?

Works well for me" high speed". I use it at home and just grab the modem and tv box and i have an extra dish good luck.
Somedays your the bug,Somedays your the windsheild

Return to “GPS • Two-Way Radios”