Nevada

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

quad1100
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Going on our first trip to sand mountain

Post by quad1100 » Wed May 26, 2004 2:53 pm

We’re off to Sand Mountain on Friday, already marked it in the GPS. I'll let you know how it went next week. From what I have read it sounds like we are staying in the "retirement villa", sounds a little corky, but when you have a family with children it seems a bit safer and quieter.

NOSJunkie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by NOSJunkie » Wed May 26, 2004 5:15 pm

You will like SM I have heard that it is considered small compared to other dune areas and they are trying to close off more. I have only been to SM (I live 3 hours away) so I have to go on what I am told. I am going to Pismo in one month though. I also heard that the comp hill is taller and steeper than other places. Make sure you go to the wall, and inspiration point, and of course Superbowl. Make sure to check out the trail markers. Most of all have a good time !! When you get back tell us how you liked it..
34' Pace Arrow
1 Ton CJ7
LIVE FREE OR DIE (NH State motto)

quad1100

Post by quad1100 » Wed May 26, 2004 5:56 pm

Well from what I have read, there is about 3000 acres open at SM, compared to Pismo that is double the size.

NOSJunkie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by NOSJunkie » Thu May 27, 2004 6:59 am

You can go to the Friends Of Sand Mountain web page and there is a map of all the closed areas... :(
34' Pace Arrow
1 Ton CJ7

quad1100

Post by quad1100 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:24 am

Well the weekend started out a little rocky, had a Carlisle blow out about an hour from Sand Mountain on a bad part of the highway with a small shoulder, when we finally got to Sand Mountain we buried the truck/trailer pretty bad towards comp hill as we were turning around, that took another hour to get out. Once we finally made it to camp, all I have to say is;

What a great place! A lot bigger then what we expected, the trails were a blast. The front dunes were massive; in fact my little 2076 could not even make it up a couple of them! (Could have been due in part to the altitude) The folks there are extremely nice, made a few new friends, the Leo’s were swarming, we watched them actually tell a group of people (kids) to leave (after making them empty 250 cans of beer), they did not let much slide at all, no flag and you got a ticket. Made for a good family environment though. Took some getting use to the no helmet law and you can ride as many people on a quad as can hang on.

The weather was nice, a little windy on Friday but that was because it was in a transition period as a low was moving out of the area from some rain on Thursday night. The rest of the weekend it was in the high 70’s and up to the low 80’s by Monday. We will be heading back to this place again!

NOSJunkie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by NOSJunkie » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:46 pm

You should try to make our Labor day Cleanup (Friends of Sand Mountain) We have a raffle, and try to get as many people educated as possible about our closures and trail system. We also somtimes have a BBQ for the people that particpate in the cleanup.
34' Pace Arrow
1 Ton CJ7

quad1100

Post by quad1100 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:14 pm

I'd love to do that, but Sept is tuff. Got the SSS show that month and we are hitting Disneyland the week before the show. Besides every trip to the sand is a cleanup day for us. I always make sure I leave it cleaner then when I got there. This trip netted miscellaneous glass and garbage from around camp and bottles and an empty gas can, which I was able to carry down from the top of the mountain.

kkcalm5
1st Gear Member

Post by kkcalm5 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:47 am

We were at Sand Mtn also for Memorial weekend and had a great time. We go there offen. It is the shortest run (4.5hr) to the sand for us. It was a crowded weekend there. It is a nice place on an off weekend.
kevin

SANDUNERS
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by SANDUNERS » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:49 am

quad1100 wrote:Besides every trip to the sand is a cleanup day for us. I always make sure I leave it cleaner then when I got there.
:D :P :D 8) :mrgreen: \:D/ =D>

The way it should be for EVERYONE... :D THANKS
Nothing is achieved without effort --- the fundamental force that brings success...:)

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???
Proud 2005 JRS Award recipient :P

Return to “Sand Mountain”