Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

SANDUNERS
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Trip Report

Post by SANDUNERS » Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:37 am

We returned from another great trip to the Oregon Dunes. :P

Our family and the Kelseys had a fun time playing in the dunes at the Coos Bay / North Bend area. We had at one time about 5 families going to make the trip but you know how that goes... Well we stuck to our plan and had a wonderful time.

The club went in 1999 and we visited Winchester Bay and the Florance area. This time we stayed only at the one location and camped at the KOA. Were not used to camping with full hookups as we mostly go to Dumont and ISDRA, but it was real NICE :D I think we could get used to it too.... :wink:

I posted some pictures in the Galleries that show just how beautiful these dunes are.
http://www.americansandassociation.org/ ... _album.php

There are some great trails there for both rails and quads. At one point I had to turn the front end around 90 degrees to get out of a tricky spot. You see there are LAKES everywhere around and you have to be VERY careful when your on a trail and even in the open dune area.

We had some minor problems with Katherines rail that we fixed, and went for about 2 good rides a day. From the KOA you can ride to the dunes, its about .6 miles on a dirt / sand / gravel / asphalt / R/R tracks crossing / dirt road. All about 5 mph too. We got stopped by the train one day for about 20 minutes as they were dropping off lumber cars for the Coos Bay Lumber Co.

We went to the beach most days as the weather was great!!! And had the dunes to ourselves being there during the mid week timeframe. The dunes were rough because of the holiday weekend and no real wind to smooth them out :cry: But we managed to deal with it.

A great trip, met some new people like ASA member Larry from Porterville, CA and many others both in the dunes and at the KOA Kamp. Only signed up a few new ASA members as I was on VACATION... :wink:

One of my favorite shots... that is a FRESH water lake in the middle of the dunes...
Nothing is achieved without effort --- the fundamental force that brings success...:)

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???
Proud 2005 JRS Award recipient :P

rivermobster
1st Gear Member

Post by rivermobster » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:47 pm

Try Spinreel next time....no hookups..but a great place to camp!!!
Joe
Glendora, CA
http://www.dunesafe.com

derwud
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by derwud » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:48 pm

Thanks for the pictures. I love the Oregon Dunes. I've been twice, can't wait to go again.
Darryl Skelton

SHIFT-ed

2005 Nissan Titan CC SE 4x4, 2006 WW FS2300, '06 Rhino Family wagon, '07 WR450F, '08 Right Knee!
The Trailer

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:01 am

Hey Rivermobster, we drove down to spinreel twice during the week. I was able to talk to a few of the campers there.
Remember,,, I was on VACATION so I require hookups... :P :wink:
Nothing is achieved without effort --- the fundamental force that brings success...:)

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???

The Oldtimer
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by The Oldtimer » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:05 am

Jim, when we returned from the Portland area earlier this year, we stayed at the KOA you are talking about. We didn't have any toys with us, but I got to yak with some locals.

It's a nice place.
Frankie

Member of the ASA

jeeper78
1st Gear Member

Post by jeeper78 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:55 am

Hey sanduners, where in eugene does your uncle live, I am originally from eugene, lived there up until 6 years ago...just curious...
Git 'er done!!

1972 Jeep CJ-5
2000 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2

Sand Lake Duners

Dextreme
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Dextreme » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:18 pm

Cody, I can't believe you don't have a SandLakeDuners.com link to your sig! :wink:

jeeper78
1st Gear Member

Post by jeeper78 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:57 pm

i actually didnt even think about it!!.. i actually had an out to date one on there, got it now tho... thanx for the reminder... :D
Git 'er done!!

1972 Jeep CJ-5
2000 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2

Sand Lake Duners

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:20 pm

Hey Cody, my uncle lives by the airport somewhere? Near a river I believe. He just moved again.

Frankie, you should have rented a couple quads, it would have been worth it... :P

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:27 am

Frankie:
We didn't have any toys with us, but I got to yak with some locals.
When we visited our daughter in Oregon, we visited the dunes at Coos Bay, Spinreel and Winchester; Never made it up to Florence; Like Frankie, didn't have any toys and had the little one with us when we went past the ATV rental business; I didn't even stop and talk with them as I felt the others would be restless. It sure would have been fun to rent a ride and spend a few hours in the dunes; but with no gear and riding alone, it probably was a reach that wasn't well timed. The dunes did look really inviting and scenic. Couldn't really tell from where we were how big the areas are. It would be fun to spend a little time there with friends.

Return to “Oregon Dunes”