Trip report..

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

NOSJunkie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Trip report..

Post by NOSJunkie » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:53 am

My wife and I just made a 10 day trip to the Oregon dunes. We stayed at Winchester Point RV park, its one of the only parks with full hookups and a very short ride to the dunes. The park is geared around duning (spots arent all that big, I have my favorites for the next time we go, Dune fest 2006), and they have rentals on site, as well as a shop full of tools, merchandise and such. I found out how willing they are to help after I broke a traling arm and had to mig weld it back together, it took about 1.5 hours, grinders,drills, taps, dies, and anything else I needed, and they only charged me $5. They do work on any type of bike, they install anything you buy from them for next to nothing. I was suprised to see how much stuff they could get in that little store. We took a couple of days and went exploring. One day we went to the Sea Lion Caves, and toured a little north. another day we went to the Ocean Fest and toured around town in all the little shops, it was absolutly amazing.. I found Banshee hill.. Its nothing compared to SM as far as length of the hill, but when you have to shoot through a "S" turn in 5th gear (tress on both sides)wheeling the rest of the way to the top. It will definatly get your heart pumping!! The Oregon Dunes are AMAZING!!!!! With the ocean in the background, and all of the very technical trail riding it made for the best dune trip I have ever experinced. Murphys luck avoided me this time as the only problem I had was a broken shift return spring on my banshee (must have been to excited on the shifter.). Oh and another small problem, it seems that when you dont keep your CV bolts tight they will come out!! It was the last ride of the day on wensday, and I took the dog with me, my wife was taking a nap in the MH, when I was almost all the way out, cruzing at 20 mph it happened, THUNK!! My tire is not supposed to be that high up, OH F@#$..Right in front of a large parking lot. The CV bolts backed all the way out, all 6 of them, shoving the tire up against the frame and breaking the trailing arm (not completly). I felt very stupid, as my wife and I were there alone, and she did not know exactly where I was, and I had gone over the car before I left looking for loose stuff. Well the park rangers came to see if I needed help, so I sent them after my wife. My wife "MY HERO", had to find the keys for the trailer, unload her bike, which was in backwards, push it out between the mh and trailer, get the bike ready to go (flag, fuel, petcock), and ride out into the dunes she had only been on for about an hour before then. With a total of 6 hours experience on a quad!! The rangers told her I was at pad 3, we didnt even know the parking lots had names. After sitting there for about a half an hour I felt very bad for putting my wife in this situation, all of the sudden coming over the hill in front of me was my SAVIOR,, My wife!! It took about 2 hours to get the car back to camp. I had someone pull me over to the parking lot, I ran and got the MH and all my tools and temporarily fixed it in the parking lot. The next day I used the shop to wash all my parts and weld the arm back together. I came to a conclusion this trip. If my riding buddies arent there to watch my back there is always my wife.
There were alot of other things to do other than duning, you can crab on a jetty, or go claming on the beach right next to camp, Winchester Bay is a short walk away, with alot of small shops, and a bunch of fishing charters also. Next year I plan to do a half day crabing/fishing trip (the trip is $90). This trip was SO AMAZING WE will be back next year. I still have to remind myself I was lucky enough to go.. I'll post some pics later... Joe
34' Pace Arrow
1 Ton CJ7
LIVE FREE OR DIE (NH State motto)

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by OBSESSED » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:12 am

Kewl report Joe...

Is the Discovery Point campground near the WP campground?

Steve
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

NOSJunkie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by NOSJunkie » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:54 am

Steve by WP do you mean Windy Point? if so yes its the crowded campground on the left as you enter into the dunes. I like sites 9-13 at DP as they will accom. a 34' rig and trailer without disconnecting. Windy point looks like a nice park but I dont think I'd like riding along the road for the 1/2 to 3/4 a mile to get to the dunes. Will it hurt your comp cut paddles?
34' Pace Arrow
1 Ton CJ7

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:33 pm

NOSJunkie wrote:Steve by WP do you mean Windy Point? if so yes its the crowded campground on the left as you enter into the dunes. I like sites 9-13 at DP as they will accom. a 34' rig and trailer without disconnecting. Windy point looks like a nice park but I dont think I'd like riding along the road for the 1/2 to 3/4 a mile to get to the dunes. Will it hurt your comp cut paddles?
Winchester Point, where you stayed...

NOSJunkie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by NOSJunkie » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:03 am

Sorry, We stayed at Discovery point, in Winchester bay....
34' Pace Arrow
1 Ton CJ7

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:50 am

NOSJunkie wrote:Sorry, We stayed at Discovery point, in Winchester bay....
No wonder I was confused...
NOSJunkie wrote:We stayed at Winchester Point RV park
we also have stayed at Discovery Point, it is a great place...

S

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:22 pm

We stayed at Discovery point 2 years back and since then have heard a lot of news about closures of the area below the lighthouse. Also talk of a new camping area further into the dunes. Did you hear about any of this?

Oregon is bad *****. We will definetly be back. There is no equal to the trails through the trees. Click on my webshots links to see our Oregon trip pics.

NOSJunkie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by NOSJunkie » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:22 am

Yes there is a closure below the lighthouse, but all they did was lessen the visual impact from the parking lot of the lighthouse, so you can sill ride by it but on the sand hwy that parallels the road. As soon as you pass the lighthouse it opens back up. Someone told me some of the reasons for the closures were the visual impacts at the lighthouse during Dune Fest.. (nudity..) The camping in the dunes looked cool. They installed orange stakes along the camping area and you have to camp within so many feet of your stake.. They were all numbered so I believe you can reserve them..
34' Pace Arrow
1 Ton CJ7

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:48 pm

NOSJunkie wrote:The camping in the dunes looked cool. They installed orange stakes along the camping area and you have to camp within so many feet of your stake.. They were all numbered so I believe you can reserve them..
I am pre-planning next summers trip. Does anyone have anymore details as to the camping area in the dunes?

Kevin

sandgirl
1st Gear Member

Post by sandgirl » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:20 pm

The camping in the sand at Winchester Bay can be reserved at http://www.reserveusa.com The name of the campsite is Umpqua Sand Camp. Some sites are more accessible than others so you might want to call to reserve it you have questions. Otherwise you can reserve online. I haven't camped anywhere else at the OR dunes since Winchester Bay is the best and still don't know about additional camping they were supposed to have in place there.

billfromob
1st Gear Member

Campgrounds

Post by billfromob » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:13 pm

We are planning a trip this summer towards the end of July. We are also planning to stay at the KOA. Any comments or things we need to know?

Thanks in advance.....
If you treat others as you wish to be treated, and pick up after yourself as if you lived there, none of these nonsense laws would be necessary.

OBSESSED

Re: Campgrounds

Post by OBSESSED » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:10 pm

billfromob wrote:We are planning a trip this summer towards the end of July. We are also planning to stay at the KOA. Any comments or things we need to know?

Thanks in advance.....
I loved the KOA also, HOWEVER...

You will be driving on asphalt, a road shoulder, a parking lot and over RR tracks to get to the dunes. You will also pass two quad rental places getting to the dunes.

With that said, the KOA was clean, quiet, had cable TV [bring a wire] large pull through spaces and I'd stay there again in a minute.

Oregon Dunes is a special place. Enjoy every minute...

BTW, "Everyone" said: Two things will sukk, the weather and the rangers/cops in the dunes [LEOs-whatever they are called].
we had perfect weather [no fog or rain] and NEVER saw a LEO, not once!

The "Oblique" Dunes out from the Discovery Point were the funnnnest [for us]...

They were all good...

I wish I had a quad along, the "Tree Shots" looked awesome.

Steve

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Campgrounds

Post by BHenry » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:28 pm

OBSESSED wrote:I wish I had a quad along, the "Tree Shots" looked awesome.

Steve
I'll second that. I only had the buggy when we went up, but with all of the trees and lakes, I think I would have enjoyed riding a quad more.

The KOA was awesome, especially the ice cream socials every night :D
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:37 pm

The tree tunnels on a quad are the best part of Oregon.

Return to “Oregon Dunes”