ore sound vs aliens

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

frotrk
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

ore sound vs aliens

Post by frotrk » Mon May 08, 2006 8:38 am

Is a radio shack sound level meter(33-2055) accurate enough to test decible level. I have dual aliens on kfx700 with new packing and alien quite cores and can notr get under 98db. Dmc says I should be about 92-93. Am I fighting a lost cause? Test at 3000rpm, 20" at 45*
Thanks
Clark
kfx 700, dual aliens, proarmor everything

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck » Mon May 08, 2006 9:53 am

Welcome to the board Clark. :D

Sorry, but I can't help you. Someone else may come on that knows about that meter.

Sound testing is very critical concerning how it is done. Specific procedures and conditions must be followed to get accurate results. The law enforcement authority that has jurisdiction at your riding area would be a good start to find out the particulars if you haven't done that already. Most agencies will conduct free testing. The second place to check with would be the pipe's maufacturer or retailer. They may be able to tell you what can be done to be compliant. If they can't, perhaps they will work with you to get one that is.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Sand Commander
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Sand Commander » Mon May 08, 2006 11:43 am

If you have your bike tested by law enforcement and it fails, what happens next? Will they give you a ticket? A warning? A fix- it ticket?

This sound law sounds (ha ha) very difficult to enforce because test results can vary so much.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

frotrk
1st Gear Member

Post by frotrk » Mon May 08, 2006 12:24 pm

My understanding is if you request a test and fail no ticket but you can"t ride. Being it is 8hrs to get there I would like to know before I went.
Clark

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck » Mon May 08, 2006 2:45 pm

Sand Commander wrote:If you have your bike tested by law enforcement and it fails, what happens next? Will they give you a ticket? A warning? A fix- it ticket?

This sound law sounds (ha ha) very difficult to enforce because test results can vary so much.
You got that right. I think that is one of the reasons the BLM has not pursued it much at the ISDRA. Test criteria is extremely specific and is affected by surrounding conditions.

At the ISDRA, if you request the BLM to test, they will not ticket you. You would have to make an appointment to get it done.

If it doesn't pass, I don't think it would be wise to ride it away. :wink: However, back in the dunes, it is pretty much up to the LEO as to whether you get ticketed for "excessive noise". Get off the pipe when you see an LEO.

I don't have the slightest idea what the rules and regs in Oregon are. :?
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Gottaride
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Gottaride » Mon May 08, 2006 5:25 pm

We have a Radio Shack sound meter and it works well. In fact, it is what the DNR uses in Michigan. It's worth the money.

NOSJunkie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by NOSJunkie » Wed May 10, 2006 8:13 am

I was in the same situation as you. 10 hrs to Or. and didnt want to get turned away.. I bought the Radio shack tester also. I rode for 1 week and never saw any LEO's at all in the dunes. I was in the winchester bay riding area. I noticed the LEO's were at the staging areas, not in the dunes.. I rode my Banshee all week with T-5's and didnt have a problem..
34' Pace Arrow
1 Ton CJ7
LIVE FREE OR DIE (NH State motto)

frotrk
1st Gear Member

Post by frotrk » Sat May 13, 2006 9:18 am

Well, til I get sound right I don't think I'll chance it. Going to Christmas Valley. My Mini Van is 93db. This is nuts.
Clark

Return to “Oregon Dunes”