memorial day at little sahara

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

terry allen

memorial day at little sahara

Post by terry allen »

we have never been there but would like to get some info about temps etc on memorial day weekend. anybody going that might want to show us the dunes?
i was also thinking about leaving my fifth wheel somewhere in utah between little sahara and las vegas as we are turning around and hitting st. anthony's june 13th and would save a haul. any suggestions?

thanks

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by OBSESSED »

i was also thinking about leaving my fifth wheel somewhere in utah between little sahara and las vegas as we are turning around and hitting st. anthony's
Here's a thought:
Nephi is straight east of Lil Sahara dunes, at the 15.
In Nephi, (where you turn off if you take that route to Lil Sahara), there is a KOA or similar CampGround. Maybe they'd be interested in a monthly :shock: rate. West of the 15, at the first Nephi exit from the south.

Hummmmmmmmm...

Lil Sahara for Memorial Day you say...

Steve

terry allen

Post by terry allen »

i am still trying to put this trip together. anybody else going?

terry allen

YFZ Bob
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by YFZ Bob »

terry allen wrote:i am still trying to put this trip together. anybody else going?
terry allen
Terry,
Are you still planning on going up to L.S. ? We're meeting family members up there, maybe we can hook up @ the Dunes!

Is there another Route besides Nephi or this the recomended route for trailers? I'm pulling a 28' 5th wheel. Thanks, Bob

Sandgod

Post by Sandgod »

It should be about 85 or so. If you park at the hill you won't get any sleep on a holiday weekend. There will be around 10k people just at the hill alone. Should be around 20k people which is alot. Oasis campground is in the middle of the dunes and in my opinion the best place to camp. Trees, running water, flush toilets, dump station. White Sands is about 8 miles from Sand Mtn and the big bowls w/ small dunes on the ride over to the mountain.. You can get off I-15 many miles before Nephi. Look for a sign that says Delta, Utah and take that route. From Delta you head north on highway 6 for 25 miles and you will see the dunes then pass them by about 5 miles and then see the only paved road on the left. No route number.. Follow the signs..

YFZ Bob

Post by YFZ Bob »

Thanks for the Info Sandgod! Think Thusday morning (22nd) be to late to grab a spot at Oasis Campground? It's our first trip there in 20+ Years... :lol:

Sandgod

Post by Sandgod »

You'll be fine..

terry allen

Post by terry allen »

bansheebob, doesn't look like i will be able to put my trip together. so much to do before the st. anthony trip in mid june. maybe we can hook up at dumont or glamis sometime!

have fun, ride fast and ride safe!

terry

YFZ Bob

Post by YFZ Bob »

terry allen wrote:bansheebob, doesn't look like i will be able to put my trip together. so much to do before the st. anthony trip in mid june. maybe we can hook up at dumont or glamis sometime!

have fun, ride fast and ride safe!

terry
Next season, How about Dumont? Going to try and get some of my cousins down from Utah. They owe me a trip for going up there next week :lol:

YFZ Bob

Post by YFZ Bob »

Well.... Here's what I learned after 5 minutes of riding at Little Sahara, The Sand is just as hard as Glamis when you crash... Other than breaking a rib, it was a really cool trip! Ok, here's what happened. Going into a "Small Bowl" I was setting up to Roost the upper ridge of the dune, Hit the gas and got sideways like I wanted, little did I know I was on top 3" layer of Crusty Sand from the rains the week before, my bike broke through this Crusty layer sideways dug in and tossed me off like a Rodeo Cowboy. All I can say is... OUCH! Can't wait to go back and do it agian :roll:

Broken Ribs

You usually get broken ribs by having a fall or being hit by something. Broken rib (s) are painful but not real serious. The problem(s) they can cause can be serious. If you break your:

Sternum (breastbone) you may bruise your heart.

First or second rib(s) (you start counting from under your shoulder down) you may hurt one of the big blood vessels that carry blood to and from your heart.

Lower ribs (7th to 12th) you may hurt your liver and/or spleen.

Several ribs you may hurt your lungs causing them to collapse.

These are the reasons you should see your doctor if you think you have broken your ribs.
They can make sure nothing more serious has happened.

What are the signs of broken ribs?

History of a fall or being hit.

Pain in your rib area that is worse when you move.

It hurts when you push on your ribs.

You may hear a crackle where it hurts.

You have a hard time to take a deep breath or breathe well.

What can I do at home?

It takes time for broken ribs to get better (4 to 6 weeks usually). During the first few days
you should:

Try to do deep breathing exercises by using a pillow to support your chest. Hug the pillow into your chest, then take a few deep breaths. The pillow will help to decrease the pain. If you do not do these you may have breathing problems like pneumonia.

What you can do at home:

You can put ice or cold on the hurt area for 10 min. every hour, as often as possible, for the first 72 hours. After 72 hours, you may put ice on for 15 to 20 min. 3 times a day (maximum time should be 20 min. at one time).

You may find it more comfortable to sleep sitting up, like in a recliner chair, for the first few days.

You may take acetaminophen, aspirin, or ibuprofen, unless there is a reason you cannot like an allergy or you are on blood thinners. If you are unsure, you should check with your doctor or pharmacist.

Go to the Emergency Department or see your Doctor IF:

You have chest pain.

You have a hard time breathing or feel short of breathe.

OBSESSED
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by OBSESSED »

Broken Ribs
Ouch!

Hope you get better fast Bob.

Heavy sand.

St Anthony has a similar feel.

Wet sand us duners from So Cali don't experence too often, except this year (at Glamis).

SB

YFZ Bob

Post by YFZ Bob »

OBSESSED wrote:
Broken Ribs
Ouch!
Hope you get better fast Bob.
Heavy sand.
St Anthony has a similar feel.
Wet sand us duners from So Cali don't experence too often, except this year (at Glamis).
SB
Thanks Steve... You're right, being a Glamis/Dumont duner I never really rode on Crusty Sand before, at least not that thick. I do want to thank the First Aid Rangers at the Visitor's Center, they were GREAT!
My wife was following me said I wasn't doing anything out of the norm, like someone just flipped the bike and tossed it in the air. Only thing I can think of is, their Dune Gods must have been Angry with me wearing a Glamis T-Shirt.
Well, the Little Sahara Dunes Gods didn't stop there, they picked on me again the very next day. This time I was wearing a Dumont Shirt. Going up Sand Mountain at a Blistering 2nd gear speeds (The best I could do with broken ribs), my wiring harnest melted to the pipes. It must have came loosed from the DEEP IMPACT crash the day before and didn't notice it until I came to a dead stop 3/4 of the way up Sand Mountain :oops: It was one of those The Good, The Bad and The Ugly trips all in one...
5 long days there, I heard everything from my cousins from Utah, from Go Big or Go Home to Our Dunes Kicked your Butt. Only thing I had they wished the were drinking was "Real California Beer" 8) That Utah Near-Beer was...... YUCK! Got next year's trip planned and I'm leaving my California Dune shirts at home :lol:

Sandgod

Post by Sandgod »

That's a bummer to hear. I am lucky to only recieve a few minor falls during my duneing career, CAREER, okay lifestyle. I was not thrilled it was in the upper 90's. I drove to the mountain from Oasis and thought there would be more people. Campgrounds were full. Saint Anthonys on the 4th of July, only 4 hrs away.. ahhhhhhhhhhhh.......

Return to “Little Sahara Utah”