Who's been on Easter?

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

RichB
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Who's been on Easter?

Post by RichB »

I just heard some absolute HORROR stories about Easter Weekend at LS. Anyone else been there over Easter?

Dusty Rhodes
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Dusty Rhodes »

Horror as in too many people, fighting, drunks and punks, injuries, weather? What did you hear?
Dusty Rhodes
Sand Tramp Clothing

http://www.sandtramp.com

RichB

Post by RichB »

Dusty Rhodes wrote:Horror as in too many people, fighting, drunks and punks, injuries, weather? What did you hear?
Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Met and duned with 2 couples (Father/Mom & Son/Wife) last weekend up at Coral Pink. They were telling us that it was so bad they actually stayed up all night on top of the RVs watching.

First off, they said there were so many people there you couldn've leave if you wanted to.....literally jammed in a la Lake Havasu (walking from shore to shore across boats).

Next, they said they've never seen partying and mayhem last anywhere near as long as it was there over Easter.....literally all day and all night, said it was like another shift of kids came on duty at 6:00 in the morning.

Said they were taking semi tires, lighting them on fire, and rolling them down the hill.....they were shocked nobody's RV got burned up.

Kids were taking gas cans, lighting them on fire, and kicking them around at each other.

Kids were driving quads through fire pits, they saw one stall out, catch fire, and burn up while some kids were trying to put it out with sand.

These folks that were telling us these accounts are well-rounded duners that get around to a lot of areas CP, Dumont, SA, Oregon Dunes and have been to Little Sahara many times before and like the place. They're not some prudes that are sheltered from the world. They just couldn't reiterate enough how that particular weekend at LS was like a crazy spring break for Utah kids or something.

Just wondering if anyone else had expeinced anything like that over that holiday.

Rich

Dusty Rhodes
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Dusty Rhodes »

Wow, I have never heard that of LS, but the story sounds completely credible. Another reason I like going to places on off-weekends. :wink:
Dusty Rhodes
Sand Tramp Clothing

kentduneenuf
1st Gear Member

Post by kentduneenuf »

LS is a joke! I live 75 miles from Sand Mt. we were there on Easter, and have been for the last 25 years. We will never do that again! We are so discouraged with that place. I would recommend that nobody waste there time at that dump. For us St. Anthony is only 300 miles away and well worth the drive.

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

Sounds like they need to bring in the National Guard. I say come down hard on activies like that. Get rid of the rif-raft.

Such a great place to dune. Its always the few who mess it up for the rest of us. This is what gets the headlines. Not the familys who take a vacation there ( like we did a few years ago ) and had one of the best family dune trips of our life. The camp facilities are really some of the best around. I'd be happy to pay a higer price to stay there if that what it takes to get a handle on things.
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

Joe Odyssey Rider
1st Gear Member

Post by Joe Odyssey Rider »

This is one of the main reasons that Glamis has had so much trouble. If this is allowed to continue, then the eco-nazis just have that much more ammunition.

So, where were the rangers?

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Woodglue »

Joe Odyssey Rider wrote:This is one of the main reasons that Glamis has had so much trouble.
I'll give you credit for saying "has had" But I must say,
there's a lot less "trouble" at Glamis now than there was even just a few years ago!
I attribute it partially to the Weekly / Season Pass price hikes. A lot of the 'rif-raft' looks at a $25.00 Weekly pass and says, "Forget that dude, we can buy another case of beer with that money".
Perhaps this is all LS needs, it there already a fee structure in place?
The LEO's are also a big part of it!
I've also seen LEO's at Glamis make a camp of 'rif-raft' kids leave. They literally stood there and watched the kids pack up there tents, ice-chests and bikes, and escourted them to the highway!! :P
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by OBSESSED »

Old thread but brought back to life...

LS is a joke... :shock:

I loved it, as I do all sand...

The deal is, do not camp at the Base Of Sand Mountain.

Camp at one of the other close by areas...

We were stuck there on Memorial Day...

Wild? Oh yea...

No helmets, bare feet, no eye protection... Freedom from rules...

Crazy...

Is it still like that in 2006?
I was there in maybe 2000...

S

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

Went there third week in June 3 years ago and the place was empty. Maybe 40-60 camps in the whole place and pristine sand. Stayed in a camp ground that had trees, fence, water, and a 10 PM to 6 AM curfew near the dump station. Best quad riding there is in my book. Very technical stuff. Always something new and fresh comming at ya. A dunners delight. Thinking LS for five days and then SA the following week for next years vacation.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

gjelly
1st Gear Member

Post by gjelly »

i live in grand junction colorado...LS is a 6 hour drive for me and i go as many times as i can...i love sand mountain for about 30 minutes then im off railing the other dunes...great dunes...always something new

every time i go i get there on a wed night...no one is hardly there...then about thurs night on it starts to slowly fill up...i camp in the campground farthest from sand mountain...i like it there, less noise and trouble, then when i want some action i cruse over to SM.

i mainly ride little sahara and killpecker...both are very different but i love little sahara, its great

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Woodglue »

Welcome to the board gjelly! :wink:
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

gjelly
1st Gear Member

Post by gjelly »

thanks

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

gjelly, what is Killpecker like. Not this year, going to S.A. again, but maybe next year(2008) I'd like to visit Killpecker for a summer vacation.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

Dusty Rhodes
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Dusty Rhodes »

I would also like to hear about Killpecker :idea:
Dusty Rhodes
Sand Tramp Clothing

crash

Post by crash »

I think we need a Killpecker FORUM, just so I can see the name every day!!! :lol: :D

Are you sure it's a place? Sounds like what women do to men after they get a ring on their finger!!! :cry: :lol:

Dusty Rhodes
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Dusty Rhodes »

It pains me to see the name! :lol: But it has the 2nd largest Active Dune Field in the world, according to Duneguide.com. It intrigues me and would be a top destination for me should by some miracle, I be able to talk my wife into a 16 hour road trip........one way.
Dusty Rhodes
Sand Tramp Clothing

gjelly
1st Gear Member

Post by gjelly »

where do i start??? i absolutely love killpecker...ive only been once now and it was well worth the trip.
first off if youve ever been to little sahara youll know what i mean when i say that those dunes are very up and down. killpecker is very laid out. meaning the dunes are flatter and not as tall but very much fun in their own way. there is nothing there anywhere close to the magnitude of sand mountain. but there are a few good steep racing hills. but anyways the dunes being flat making it very fun for the speed freak in me, i liked hitting a razorback 3rd and fourth pinned and sailing down the other side, i found some dunes that were semi steep on one side and gradual slope on the other made for really long jumps, if you hit it right you just keep following the slope on the landing side, if you dont get what i mean youll just have to go there.
now it is at 7300 or so feet, had to do some leaning out, in fact i threw my 13 tooth on in front just get some of the pep back out of my quad, that lack of air is killer, specially in the sand
camping was great, did the friday to monday thing, got there late friday, its about 5 hour drive for me, did NOT see or hear any wild partying, matter of fact my bud broke his kick starter on his dirtbike and the guys in the next camp came over to help fix it...was a good group of campers around, had an awesome weekend
OH I FORGOT TO TELL YOU ABOUT THE LOW BOWLS...they are sick....i found this bowl laid out like a giant football field, i was hauling huevos in 5th gear around this giant bowl sliding sideways and zigzagin up and down, it was like a banked nascar track for quads...good times...
the only complaint was that it is small in comparison to little sahara, at LS i do a lot of exploring finding awesome jumps then i hit them for a while, obviously with the dunes being flatter that jump factor is down, still has good jumps just not as many.
i cant remember if i took any pics with the digital - if i find them i will post them...any questions about killpecker ask me i will try to remember

Dusty Rhodes
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Dusty Rhodes »

How easy is it to find from I-80?
Dusty Rhodes
Sand Tramp Clothing

gjelly
1st Gear Member

Post by gjelly »

as you head north out of rock springs, it was late and dark for me so i missed the road off the highway the first time...i doubled back and found it, when i left monday in the daylight it was very easy to see off of the road, big brown sign , i dont think it said killpecker, it said something about sand dunes, and active moving dunes were prohibited and so on, from the highway its 15 or 20 miles in if i remember right , takes about 30 or 40 minutes to get to the camping area, was kind of a washboarded road but not too bad.

tmm2good
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by tmm2good »

Dunereview.com is a good place to read up about Killpecker, lots of Wyoming and Colorado duners on that site that frequent these dunes.[/url]

Dusty Rhodes
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Dusty Rhodes »

Thanks for the good info gjelly.

TMM, I knew about that site but couldn't think of it. Thanks.
Dusty Rhodes
Sand Tramp Clothing

Return to “Little Sahara Utah”