Little Sahara

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

so cal honda girl
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Little Sahara

Post by so cal honda girl »

So anyone know first hand how the riding is at Little Saraha? I am heading out there for Memorial Weekend for the first time. Just looking for a little info!

Thanks!

Holy Schnikeys Batman! Did I say that outloud?

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by OBSESSED »

Kristin...

Lil Sahara is a Huge area, with over 30,000 acres of small to medium dunes (50-150' high).
Lots of camp spaces, pull through sites some with water.
A couple of years ago I saw a small 3' deep pool with a sprinkler going at a camp site...
All these camps have direct axcess to the dunes.

BUT for the real fun seekers, Partiers, hard-core duners, camp at the Base Of SAND MOUNTAIN (of Lil Sahara). SM almost 800' tall! (Or if you go to Glamis that's= to Comp with Olds on top of it and Olds on top again!
REALLY!
The back side of SM (tricky 'cross-over')has lots of medium to larger dunes and bowls 150' to 200' tall with sand all the way up the other side of SM...

Overall, It's very fun. There is camping at the Base of SM but it is "primative style"-no water, no sites, only a couple of pit toilets. Camping there is like camping at the base of Olds or Comp Hills, with an asphalt ribbon road around and around in circles...
It's a fun place, Like Glamis was 20 years ago...(Re: people will have no helmets and will ride double)
Be safe...
Tell us how your trip was...

Steve

so cal honda girl
1st Gear Member

Steve - Thanks! I have heard about SM from a friend who lives in the area but he couldn't compare it to anything since he has never been to Glamis! Can you imagine that? Anyway, we are going for Memorial and I'm hoping it will be fun. At the base of SM can you get a motorhome in/out? We are taking a moho so primitive style camping is no big deal. I can't wait. I wasn't too excited about this trip in the beginning but I am really starting to look forward to it.
Thanks again for the info!

Sandgod

Post by Sandgod »

Sand Mtn is the main attraction. You can pull a motorhome into any area there. Don't go to far from the road and have a person get out and walk in front first. They hillshoot all night so if you want a good nights sleep, forget it. Go over to Oasis campgounrds five miles away for great camping, shade, water, trees. bathrooms. Sand Mtn will blow you away!!!!!Sat will be 75 perfect degrees, but not as nice on Sunday.
Heres is lots of pics for you.
http://community.webshots.com/user/sandgod4

02 C-Dale
03 Z-400 wifes quad,
37 previous rides,

Edited by - Sandgod on 05/21/2002 4:02:11 PM

Edited by - Sandgod on 05/21/2002 4:03:56 PM

so cal honda girl
1st Gear Member

Thanks Sandgod! The pics were great. I have one question though - in the pics it looks like everyone is running dirt tires. I have my paddles and razorbacks on. Is the sand soft enough or should I be running my dirt tires for that area? Let me know quick! I'm leaving Friday!

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

Paddles and bring ear plugs for sleeping!

Hey......ARE WE there YET!? Huh are we? Huh?? Well are we? Gotta DUNE!
Right..............................................................right

Sandgod

Post by Sandgod »

Most people run paddles. We don't hillshoot. We don't due to making sand tracks and it sucks to be behind somebody w/ paddles. That's the only practice we get for racing mx. The sand is the same type as Glamis.

02 C-Dale
03 Z-400 wifes quad,
37 previous rides,

so cal honda girl
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys! I am getting totally excited! Can't wait!

Speedfreak
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Speedfreak »

Me and So cal Honda Girl got back last night from Utah it was a good trip. I was impressed with the dunes there nice temps and all.

But the tire thing on the hill is insane. lets hope this doesnt come west. what a bunch of knuckleheads that do this

Sandgod

Post by Sandgod »

Did somebody put gas on a tire and light it and let it roll down Sand Mtn??? Yeah that's dumb alright!! That could hit a kid or anybody... The cops made a huge impact on the crowd which is good. They are mostly looking for minors drinking and DUI's at night..

02 C-Dale
03 Z-400 wifes quad,
37 previous rides,

Edited by - Sandgod on 05/28/2002 3:31:48 PM

Speedfreak
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Speedfreak »

Not once but twice. It happened Saturday night after I went to bed and again on Sunday night. First time I hear it was going towards the camping area till somebody hit it to stop it 2nd night wasnt so good I was about 10 ft away from the truck it hit. I was too stupid I guess to understand what i was looking at coming down the hill on fire to move...maybe it was disbelief but anyways nobody was injured in the incident. The truck did suffer some damage.

I dont want to tell you to take off what youve written on your post but I wouldnt want to give some idiot an idea from reading it

it is just a real stupid thing.......I cant believe it

Sandgod

Post by Sandgod »

Think anybody from California would want to copy something a Utah person did. Well they wouldn't admit to it that's for sure! The tire thing is a normal thing if you can call a stunt like that normal. Idiots are common place everywhere.

02 C-Dale
03 Z-400 wifes quad,
37 previous rides,

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

Comp Hill Glamis-California
Sand Mountain-Nevada
Lil Sahara's Sand Mountain-Utah

Seen it at all 3 places. Idiots are everywhere...

So if you see someone doing it, what do you do? What can you do? The people that do it are drunk, you can't reason with a drunk...

Just watch it and get the F-ffff out of the way! And do not park on the front row of the hills.

Steve

Disclaimer: if you want to see a 'Happy' face saw a green happy face in half click on this link, if you are offended by such nonsense, then please do not.
http://www.plauder-smilies.de/rough/greenchainsaw.gif

Edited by - Obsessed on 05/30/2002 10:10:50 PM

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS »

As part of the DUNEQUEST 2002, we stopped at Little Sahara on the way home from St. Anthony's. Here are some pictures of Little Sahara.

http://www.geocities.com/ASA_TODAY/LITTLESAHARA.html

Return to “Little Sahara Utah”