Great for Quads, bad for Rails...

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

SANDUNERS
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Great for Quads, bad for Rails...

Post by SANDUNERS » Fri Jun 15, 2001 4:12 am

We went in 96' and spent 4 days, not enough area open for rails but great for quads.We followed a trail up a hill and on the way back down the trail kept getting smaller and smaller, narrow and steep, no backing up a rail there... running into tree trunks with the paddles getting down...Went in July, at 6000 feet and it was over 100 degrees everyday the motors were hot in 20 mins. But it was still fun Its a sand thing...http://www.geocities.com/pipeline/cliff ... NK.htmlARE YOU AWAKE YET????

Jeff Catlin
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Jeff Catlin » Fri Jun 15, 2001 8:53 am

I went last year and I agree, no buggies. Luckily I just brought the quads. Great for a little sand fix in the middle of summer. I will go back. Altitude sucks though...bring jets!Jeff CatlinChandler, AZ Area Rep.

Buggydave
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Buggydave » Fri Jun 15, 2001 4:57 pm

Same here! We decided to go check them out 2 summers ago and I decided at last minute to just take quad in back of truck and leave rail at home and was glad I did! Don't get me wrong, we loved it there, just not big enough area for rails and the trails are alot of fun but most too small for anything but quads and bikes! It was a longer drive than we thought (from Tempe,Az),but stopped at Lake Powell, etc... and made up for the drive!

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS » Sun Jun 17, 2001 12:08 am

We had to stop in St. George for trailer tires, I thought I could get one more trip... wrong!!!The tire guy said "do you know the short cut?"No... what short cut???"There is a well maintained dirt road from Arizona to the Coral Pink Dunes, save ya over an hour..."WoW!! tell us how to get there.Well, that road was the road from hell, very beautiful and scenic though, but not good for a lowered crew dually pulling a trailer dusty, sandy, curvy, and narrow.We reached the Utah side and the smoothist asphalt road I've ever been on....We didn't go back that way, we were lucky to make it one way... but it was over an hour short cut...ARE YOU AWAKE YET????

Maverick
1st Gear Member

Post by Maverick » Tue Jun 19, 2001 12:02 pm

The dirt road to "Cane Beds" was I agree major long. Like 20 miles of Caterpillar Tread Chop I call it. Took this road on the way home and beat my motor home to death.We went there about 2 years ago for about 3 days. Came up from Orange County, stayed in a RV Park in St. George for the 1st night then went on the next day through Zion National Park and onto the dunes. Very scenic drive.Camped on BLM land near the farthest east entrance (there are only a few places to enter the sand as the entire place is fenced) Our 250 Fourtrax ran great but my Banshee sucked. I agree bring jets and allot of time to dial in. Also this place is very remote and the BLM rangers are in the game big time so you have to be legal or I will guarantee you will get a ticket. Utah Kids have to go through training to ride quads and wear approval stickers on their helmets.

long time duner
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by long time duner » Thu Jun 21, 2001 10:55 am

We've gone for a week every July for 6 years, and can't wait for this July. We all have bugggies, and find plenty of area to ride. We continue to find new buggy-size trails. Sure, there are some small trails that are clearly too small for a buggy, but that's a small cost for the beauty. Most rides find us taking a break at the corral, parking the rails under huge pine trees- awesome! Want to lean out those carbs, at 6000 feet, they run real rich. This trip will be first with EFI equipped buggies, should help.We find highs in the 90's, and nights cool enough to comfortably sleep without air. We always seem to hit a day or two of thunderstorms. We always take a day trip to nearby sites.Definitely have to follow rules, and watch out for vegetation, a major fine for riding through it. The park has a lot of tree hugger type visitors, we always try to impress them with our enviromental awareness.I can't wait for July!

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Mon Jun 25, 2001 11:01 am

quote:We went in 96' and spent 4 days, not enough area open for rails but great for quads.We followed a trail up a hill and on the way back down the trail kept getting smaller and smaller, narrow and steep, no backing up a rail there... running into tree trunks with the paddles getting down...Went in July, at 6000 feet and it was over 100 degrees everyday the motors were hot in 20 mins. But it was still fun Its a sand thing...http://www.geocities.com/pipeline/cliff ... NK.htmlARE YOU AWAKE YET????

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Mon Jun 25, 2001 11:07 am

Hey SANDDUNERS........THERE YOU ARE AGAIN! I hear from people that have been to Coral Pink that it's excellent camping. From what you're saying much better for ridable equipment. It's a sand thing...I like that! Dune that sand thing. "YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND" quote:We went in 96' and spent 4 days, not enough area open for rails but great for quads.We followed a trail up a hill and on the way back down the trail kept getting smaller and smaller, narrow and steep, no backing up a rail there... running into tree trunks with the paddles getting down...Went in July, at 6000 feet and it was over 100 degrees everyday the motors were hot in 20 mins. But it was still fun Its a sand thing...http://www.geocities.com/pipeline/cliff ... NK.htmlARE YOU AWAKE YET????

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Washroad » Mon Jul 16, 2001 5:03 pm

We went 5 years ago and stayed in the state campground. Went in late October. We intended to stay 4 days but it started snowing and was coming down pretty hard. We decided to leave after only 1 1/2 days. We're going to go back though, but earlier in the year. It's incredibly beautiful there!!

Return to “Coral Pink Dunes”