Would like Info on Christmas Valley

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Dunerider84
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Would like Info on Christmas Valley

Post by Dunerider84 »

We normally go to the Oregon Dunes to ride, However we want to try a new area. Having never been to Christmas Valley, Can anyone tell me how it compares to coast dunes? Big dunes? Is it mostly trails? Night riding OK ? What is the elevation there? will we need to re-jet the carbs? Safe area to bring the family? kids? Groceries or supplies close by? Can you ride the entire area in a day? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Keith

Shane-0

Post by Shane-0 »

I've never actually ridden there either, but I've been by it(sorta)a few times on the way to Lakeview. From what I can tell and have been told, its a very primitive area. Elevation should be somewhere near 5,000 feet. Therte is a link to the oohva page that has all the info on CV in the other thread "where is the CVD's"

Edited by - Shane-0 on 05/10/2002 12:50:56 PM

Motoholic
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Motoholic »

Christmas valley is fun but not the same as the costal dunes. The dunes are mellow but there are lots of 30'-40' razors. It is really out in the middle of no were about 20 min from the town of chirstmas vallley which is not much more than a video store, chevron station and mini mart. As far as jetting goes I think it is at about 2000-3000' which unless you are really picky should not require a change. You can ride the entire area in one day and there is a couple big dunes that once your on top of you can see the entire area. It is great if you just want to get away from the crowds and it is really good for the little ones if you show them were the drop offs are. I liked the place just because it feels more like the So Cal deserts and camping is free, just park and unload. I have been a couple of times and only seen one other rider. The actual dunes though are not as fun as the coast. Just remember that once you are east of Bend you are on your own. It will be a long haul for you (It is about 2.5 hours out of Bend, so however long it take you to get there add that 2.5) and probably not worth it but if you want to try someplace new have fun.

p.s. There are some pictures of my trip last summer at http://www.shiftingdunes.com go to "pictures" then to the bottom of the page you'll see the section called "Christmas valley" (the picture of me in my profile is at CV too)

Dunerider84
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Dunerider84 »

OK... sounds like it's worth a trip. From my place in WA to Bend is four hours, so 6.5 alltogether. That's what it takes for me to get to the Oregon dunes as well. And no crowds....so far so good.
Now for the final questions. Can I get in there, (When it's dry) with my motorhome and 24ft enclosed trailer? or do I have to have 4X4?/ Thanks again for the all info. Keith

Motoholic
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Motoholic »

You will be fine with the motorhome and trailer. There are a couple nice, natural grass flats to park on. When I went I pulled all the way to the start of the dunes and camped in the sand but I have 4x4. I never used the 4x4 but because there is no help for miles I wouldn't take chances in a moho.

Dunerider84
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Dunerider84 »

Thanks again Motoholic... I appreciate the poop. I'm going to try it in June... Keith

Return to “Christmas Valley Dunes”