Living in St. Anthony? Idaho in General?

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by snewbank »

Ok, I've lived in Southern California since I was 7 and I've about had my fill of it. I'm tired of the traffic, over priced homes, granola chewing - birkenstock wearing Liberal/Enviro-weenies, frivolous law suits, Anti-Gun laws, political correctness, corporate jobs and humans - too many freakin' humans - in general.

In fact, I've decided that the only thing I like about SoCal anymore is the weather. But that's not enough anymore. My girlfriend feels the same way. A few months ago we started talking about moving to better area in Orange County but we can't seem to find a home with a lot big enough to hold our 30' RV, 17' trailer, 14' trailer, two sandrails and sand Baja Bug. And we would like a pool on top of it. Even more so, we don't want to pay more then $600k for it. Right, like your gonna find that in Orange County. Even if we did, it wouldn't solve most of the things we have grown to dislike about California. (((over the top, politically incorrect comments that were here were removed by the author)))

So, I got a buddy/co-worker who recently bought some acreage in "Montana". My Girlfriend and I are going "Hmmmm, MONTANA!", "Militant - you can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead hand - and stay off my property too - MONTANA!!!", "I'm starting to see the wisdom of Montanans". :twisted:

"But we got a lot of money invested into Duning and we don't want to give-up duning, do we?". "What dunes are around Montana?" looking at map "St. Anthony is in Idaho!!!", "Second only to Glamis, they say", "Less crowded too", "Hey, Idaho is a red state too. Like REALLY red". So we've been looking for land in East-South-East Idaho. Plenty of room for all our sand toys. In fact we are looking for several acres now (40 - 200).

So does anybody here live in Idaho?

What's it like living in Idaho?

Any advice? (besides "Stay away Cali's")

Anybody here move from SoCal to Idaho? any regrets?

Have any Southern Californians gone into hypothermic-shock from witnessing four different seasons in a single year?

Does Idaho have any weird alcohol laws like Utah?

Will a Computer Service Engineer from the corporate world go hungry in Idaho?

How much does a potato farmer make anyway? :wink:
Last edited by snewbank on Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

Idaho Falls

vansmack
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by vansmack »

I know this isn`t exactly what you are asking, but have you checked AZ, places like Prescott, or even the outter PHX area? I know some PPL, who have moved to places like Idaho, Montana ECT, It`a a hole different world, I mean like totally differnt. Don`t mean to offend anyone, but man, The dunes are so much different and the PPLS attitudes are so different than us west coast PPL. We made the move to AZ, a few years ago from Orange Co, I really miss the ocean but thats about it, I don`t miss the traffic ECT. Another good thing about AZ, is Glamis is only 3.5-4.0 HRS, without the traffic, My buddies in Cal, it takes them so long to get to and from the dunes, us we just drive with no traffic, plus if we want to go back home to visit, we hop in the car and back in The O.C in 6 hours. Also the houses are still very reasonable, but its starting to get pricy. And don`t forget man tons of dunners out here. Good luck but man hole different scene in Idaho...................
Go Diamondbacks, Padres or Angels, -Yankees suck.................

NOSJunkie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by NOSJunkie »

We feel the same way. But we are going to Oregon.
34' Pace Arrow
1 Ton CJ7
LIVE FREE OR DIE (NH State motto)

vansmack
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by vansmack »

Good call Oregon is awesome.
Go Diamondbacks, Padres or Angels, -Yankees suck.................

TEMPORARY INSANITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by TEMPORARY INSANITY »

Idaho is one very beautiful place except for 2 things...

1- I hope you bring plenty of your own money, cuz you aint gonna make no Cali wages there. :(

2- I hope you like cold and snow, cuz they got plenty of both! :x
Larry Linkins
O3' Funco Gen 3.5 W/90 HP Subaru

WEAR WRIST RESTRAINTS!
The hand you save may be yours!!

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Glamisbound »

Other good thing about Montana...no sales tax. Not sure that makes up for the cold though.

Oregon...beautiful but you don't get much more liberal than Oregon. Not sure that would fit your plan since you are trying to get away from the ...
granola chewing - birkenstock wearing Liberal/Enviro-weenies

How far is Sand Mountain Nev.? Glamis? Coral Pink? I'd map it out. Maybe you can still do a 1 week Glamis trip every year and several other trips to closer dunes. Gud luk
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

jm102397
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by jm102397 »

Scott-
I agree with all points you made except one-St. Anthony is NOT "second to Glamis"! IMHO (and many other's) St Anthony's is the BEST :)

Since our first trip to Idaho we have discussed and looked into the idea of moving there or buying a second home there that would become our "base" when we retire. That first year housing was super cheap (as in 2 homes-one a new A frame-on 3 acres with 2 RV hookups for 85K) but we realized we really didn't want a rental so far away. We also felt the cold weather months were too long-really wanted to find someplace we'd be comfortable 6-7 months of the year and Idaho just stays to cold for me to long. Every year though we go to St Anthony's (3 weeks this year :D) and every year I absolutely hate leaving. I really do enjoy being there way more than being in Glamis...

Just another idea on somewhere to consider... this year we were invited to stay with some friends (we met them in St A last year) for a week at their place south of SLC and accompany them on a trip to Little Sahara in UT after we all went to ID together. We took them up on their offer, had a great time and even though we had not even considered moving (at retirement) for about 15 more years, we are now seriously considering moving now (within the year) to this area south of Salt Lake. We both have jobs that we can work just about anywhere, we would be as far from St Anthony (our favorite dunes) as we are now from Glamis, we'd be only 70 miles from Little Sahara (which we also enjoyed) and we really like the area they live in.
Though my first choice would still be to live right by the dunes in ID, I just really don't think I could take the weather, obviously YMMV :)

Good luck in your decision, whatever you decide to do-
Julie
Julie Monroe

Crowdog

Post by Crowdog »

Julie,

Where South of SLC? Provo, Spanish Fork?

What is so great about the area?

I love Southern UT. Tons of recreational opportunities within 4 hours. Need to explore Hwy 89 from Mt. Carmel Junction to Sevier.

Jon

jm102397

Post by jm102397 »

Jon-
Just south of Orem/Provo. One of our considerations is also to move just north of SLC (Farmington, etc) so we wouldn't have to deal with SLC traffic to get to ID, but then we'd have to deal with it to get to Little Sahara or to take a trip back to Phoenix (my whole family is here so we'll be doing that a couple times a year). The area we are looking at is Springville/Mapleton. I'd actually like to go even more "rural" (i.e south on 89 from 20-I absolutely love that area there) but then we would have the employment issue :(
What's so great about the area? We spend at least every other weekend in Glamis now-would love to be close enough to make that every other weekend in ID instead. From talking to people who live in the area, we would actually be able to extend our dune season by a few months a year between utilizing St A, Little Sahara, Coral Pink, and possibly even Sand Mountain ;) The Cinders in Flag would still be doable for a "long" weekend.
Then, there's also Moab-and as you pointed out the other recreational opportunities in the area. Housing is definitely cheaper and we are now at the point that yes, we have a large amount of equity here in the Phx area but to move into anything "nicer" or with more land, we are now talking about a big jump in $$$$$. The area south of Provo is still inexpensive but close to all amenities of the "big city". I grew up in a very small town (less than 2000 people) and being up there just gives me that "feeling" (maybe that's a woman thing ;)). As I stated, employment for either one of us does not look like it's going to be an issue. The schools are ranked just as high as where the boys are now. There are some "cons"-I haven't had to deal with ANY snow for 13 years now, my parents are on the high side of their 70's, I hate SLC traffic on the 15 (on the pro side I probably wouldn't be dealing with it) and we probably wouldn't have a pool ;)...though of course even that is an option if we find someplace with a big enough yard. So, bottom line, it is a consideration right now and looks like the best one of all our options.
Julie
Julie Monroe

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar »

I did this little exercise a few weeks ago and found that Reno/Carson City Nevada area is about mid way between the Oregon dunes, St. Anthony's and Glamis, not to mention a stones throw from Sand Mountain. So if you want to be a days drive from all three than that's your best bet. Not sure about how nice the area is cuz I've never been but hopefully others will comment.

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck »

I've been to Reno once and my wife went another time. Neither of us were really impressed. I really liked Tahoe though.

If you need mor info on Reno, catch Reno 911 on Comedy Central. :wink: :lol:

Is that even on still? :?
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

Vansmask - We have considered AZ but everything is so brown there. And hot! and still 4 hours to the dunes. Still an option though.

NOSJunkie - What made you decide on Oregon? I guess it's not as cold as Idaho, but way more rainy.

TEMPORARY INSANITY wrote:Idaho is one very beautiful place except for 2 things...

1- I hope you bring plenty of your own money, cuz you aint gonna make no Cali wages there. :(

2- I hope you like cold and snow, cuz they got plenty of both! :x
I bought my house in Westminster, CA about 11 years ago and I have about $300K of equity in it. So, were looking at maybe buying a place outright then we could work at Home Depot if we had to and still get by without a mortgage payment to worry about. We want several acres outside of town.

I just checked the per capita income: CA = $33k, ID = $25k

Also, we checked out Monster.com to see what kind jobs are in the Idaho Falls area. There seems to be a few. Some of them (that listed salaries) were higher then I thought they would be. We found a couple in the $70k range. Some of the more interesting listings were in Arco, ID handling spent nuclear fuel. I think one said "must be willing to work in low radiation environments" :shock:

I was looking in a Sand Sports Mag this morning (one of the "List of Sandrail Manufacturer's" ones). I couldn't find any Sandrail builders in Idaho. Does anybody know of a Sandrail builder in Idaho? If not, it makes me wonder if I could open a shop near St. Anthonys. I wonder how it would do. Maybe there is a reason there are no shops near St. Anthonys. I wonder if many people in Idaho are even into duning (Haven't even heard from anybody from Idaho on this Forum). Maybe they can't afford Rails in Idaho. Would be kool to have a Rail shop just outside of the dunes though. 8)

How about a Sandrail/ATV Parts shop next to the dunes (Like a Clean Gene's or Pair-a-dice kinda place). Are there any of those at St. Anthony yet? Would be hard to make money during the winter though.

It is cold in Idaho in the winter. Never been there but I travel a lot on business and have been to some cold places (Oslo, Norway is COLD!!!) I was in Boston (last Jan?) and it did suck trying to scrape ice off the windshield of the rental car (that stuff just didn't want to come-off!!!) and it took forever for the inside to warm-up. But, we have never really lived outside SoCal so we don't know really what it would be like to live in that kind of cold. They say "variety is the spice of life" and SoCal definitely likes variety when it comes to seasons. Maybe we'll like it or maybe we'll hate it. Only one way to find out....

On the positive side, I really don't get out as much as I would like to in CA because everything I like to do outdoors requires driving some distance to do it (Off-Roading, RC Airplanes, Target Shooting, Camping, etc) and I can't deal with the traffic anymore so we just don't go out much anyway. Again, too many dam people in SoCal to have any fun outdoors anymore.

At least in Idaho, we won't have to go far to do the things we like to do (maybe do most on our own property!) and we want to be within an hour of St. Anthony Dunes. We can do a day trip to the dunes on the warmer winter days. It's a good thing I never got around to putting the AC compressor on the Suby in my Baja. I may end-up installing a heater core instead. :shock:

In the end, we may find ourselves enjoying more time outdoors in Idaho overall then we do in "Sunny (but way too overcrowded) SoCal"!!

Glamisbound - If I had St. Anthony Dunes within an hours drive. I don't know if I would want to go to WOBAR (Whooped Out Beyond All Recognition) Glamis. :D

It does raise another question though. We have a 2001 30' Fleetwood Class-C that we are paying off over 15 years. Would we really even need it anymore? If St A was less then an hour away, you don't need to spend the night. Just come back in the morning.

When we bought the rig, we though that in the summer we could go camping in the local SoCal mountains on a whim. Just grab some groceries and go. Little did we know then that you have to make freakin' reservations to camp at any of the campgrounds in CA during the summer and you have to do it months in advance!!! And when you get to your reserved camp pad, instead of "getting away from it all" you find yourself surrounded by a thousand other campers packed into the smallest campground they can make to "minimize the impact on the local wildlife" with little kids constantly running through you camp area and screaming and other people so close, you have to wisper to have a private conversation and the whole thing seems more like camping out in a K-Mart packing lot that just happens to be surrounded by pine trees and eventually you realize that you can find a more secluded and relaxing camping area that is closer to "nature" by just camping in your own freakin' backyard!!! (those GoRVing.com commercials lie! Camping is nothing like what they show in those commercials) :evil:

Yea, were ready to move, you think? :evil:

Anyway, don't know if we would need the RV to go camping in Idaho since some of the properties we are looking at are known to have game trails through them. We would essentially be living in the wilderness so there is no need to drive to it. Right?

Julie - Is the weather very much different between St. Anthonys and South SLC (The altitude seems about the same)? Also, I went to Provo a few years back (training at Novell) and the one thing I remember was the weird drinking laws. Something like "We could drink at the hotel bar only if we were members of the club and it cost two dollars to join the club and membership would be instantaneous and good for one night". I'm not a big time drinker but weird laws like that kind of freak me out. Like, what other weird laws does that town have? How is Little Sahara dunes anyway?

Wow. That's a lot of words. I gotta stop writing for now
Scott

Idaho Falls

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

Scott,

I am also so where you are.

I hate kali, I could stay in business and move out of state...

maybe...

I have been looking at buying a Campground with my house sales.

Where/what kind of job can you have where everyone is happy to see you and wants to spend money...

A vacation orientated business.

Hence my quest for a Camp Ground that would be seasonal [May till October], make a living not go stir KrAzy living in a small town. Which would leave the rest of year to dune [at Glamis] and run my business. Most of my jobs could be run from anywhere…

I have looked in Montana, Colorado, AZ and Kansas [yes Kansas KOA was on a lake and available for only $400,000-but it sold too quick], where ever they come up 4-sale, I ponder. I wouldn’t want to do it full time, at first anyway, also it would never make you rich. Pulling the trigger on a life alternating move like this would be bold. I could move away from my family in a second, however, my wife has deep family roots.

I am still looking, however, right now I am just too busy at work to even think about anything, other than work.

The dunes in Utah, Lil Sahara are very fun, large in size acre wise but except Sand Mountain, most dunes are small 150 to 200 feet high rolling bowls. Even the locals from Utah go up to St Anthony when they want to dune fast and hard over a varied terrain.

It would be hard NOT to take the 300,000 NOW [before the crash] and buy something for cash and move to a VERY most very RED State!

Hey, there is no Starbucks in Idaho, maybe open one of those!

Rightttttttttt

Steve
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar »

Desert Oasis is for sale you know. Got a couple million? :mrgreen:

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

I noticed from satellite images that a lot of farm land back-ups to the dunes in St. Anthony. I wonder how much it would cost to buy (or lease) a corner of one of these fields to setup a campground or store or something. It looks like the corners of the farms are not used anyway (round fields in square lots). It's the thing they use to water the field that makes them round right?

Scott

Idaho Falls

YumaDune
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by YumaDune »

Hey Scott, I lived in Reno and we loved it. It is getting pricey from the pressure of Californians fleeing the crowds. I also lived in Winnemucca and Round Mountain and that area and Idaho are all psrt of the Great Basin country. If you can stand cold..seen -40 and snow..had 3ft on the ground all of the winter of 92 it ain't bad. One thing to consider is the dunes at St Antony is a elk winter refuge! You can snow mobile on one end only. Yes, Arizona is brown in the Southwest corner but the remainder of the state is greener than you can imagine. Would I go back to the Great Basin? it would include a different wife. When we left Nevada in 98 we didn't stop going South until we hit the Sea of Cortez!!
It's Just Sand!!!

jm102397

Post by jm102397 »

snewbank wrote:

Julie - Is the weather very much different between St. Anthonys and South SLC (The altitude seems about the same)? Also, I went to Provo a few years back (training at Novell) and the one thing I remember was the weird drinking laws. Something like "We could drink at the hotel bar only if we were members of the club and it cost two dollars to join the club and membership would be instantaneous and good for one night". I'm not a big time drinker but weird laws like that kind of freak me out. Like, what other weird laws does that town have? How is Little Sahara dunes anyway?

Wow. That's a lot of words. I gotta stop writing for now
Scott-
The averages in Provo are about 10 degrees warmer than Rexburg for the same months. Having grown up outside Chicago, I know 10* can make quite a difference. And I sorta feel like you...we can always make another change. Long term I don't "plan" on being in Utah during the winter...
In reference to the drinking-neither I nor my husband drink so we haven't even paid any attention to that at all :? IIRC, the alcohol content in beer is lower than it is in other states. I also believe you can't buy liquor on Sundays :?:
In regards to Little Sahara-we really enjoyed it up there. No, there are not the huge bowls you get at Glamis and St Anthony's but it is a fun place and there was definitely alot of it we did not get to explore. I agree with you about Glamis and don't even know how much I would miss it if I could be at St Anthony all summer. Sorta like Chicago where what I would really miss are some of the people I have come to know over the last few years :wink: And like you, I think there are also some other places I really like to give a try, like by Bryce and the Piaute Trail area. Jerry Seaver has always raved about how much fun he and his family have had exploring that area-sounds like it would be another great weekend trip :)
One other thing-there may be some $$$ to be made in parts/service etc up there. My feeling is it would be pretty seasonal though-maybe a setup where you could be there in the summer and Glamis in the winter?? 8)
Julie Monroe

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

Well, we made reservations to fly into SLC on 9/2 and drive to Idaho Falls to check things out over the weekend. There are a few properties we want to look at. Too bad I couldn't pack a quad into my suitcase. :wink:
Scott

Idaho Falls

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

Does anybody now of any bulletin boards that have active posting by people who live and dune in St. Anthony?

I noticed nobody on the ASA BBS seems to be from the St. Anthony area. I'm starting to wonder if Idahoans are even into duning. :shock:
Scott

Idaho Falls

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

snewbank wrote:Does anybody now of any bulletin boards that have active posting by people who live and dune in St. Anthony?

I noticed nobody on the ASA BBS seems to be from the St. Anthony area. I'm starting to wonder if Idahoans are even into duning. :shock:
When we buy our food for our stays in SA, We always go to the N. Rexburg Albertsons. The checker [always friendly] says: "Oh Having a party" or "Oh, going camping"

We say no, going to spend a week at your wonderful totally bitshtn dunes. They always look at me like "What??"

Most locals do not go.

Call Ed up at CarCraft Inc. Riverside...
He has sold a few turbo sets to locals. A couple of potato farmers [kewl guys] stopped at Sand Hills to BS with me 2 years ago and invited me to their house etc... That's who you need to tralk to.

Lost their info... :oops: :? :?

Good luck,

Steve
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

jm102397

Post by jm102397 »

Scott-
Though you may not be able to "pack a quad" there are some friends of mine that will be there for the weekend (and others who are staying the week). We were supposed to be going but my husband ended up in the hospital after we returned from our vacation and we ended up not working for almost 2 months instead of one. My wallet is arguing with my heart right now...the wallet will probably win :wink: Either way, if you are interested, I would be more than happy to see if one of the couples would be open to you coming out for a ride or two with them :?:
Julie Monroe

Gottaride
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Gottaride »

Try this one. They have a forum for SA, just not sure how active it is.
http://www.dunereview.com/forums/index.php

Dune Excursions
1st Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Dune Excursions »

If anyone needs info about the dunes in St.anthony call Mark Rydalch at Dune Excursions. http://www.dunesrus.com. He has lived one mile from the dunes his whole life. Yes the locals all ride the dunes..
If you need to know about rentals, land for sale, camping choices, parts and service call Mark he can help you out.

FASTER R
1st Gear Member

UT. HOME

Post by FASTER R »

Has been a while.
I am from Brigham city ut. & do st. anthony often. The local farmers Steve referred to now have 6 CC turbo buggys & a huge long travel in the works. They are some great people & love to dune, hell they let me store 2 cars at their place so i dont have to tow them back & forth. ( 200 miles ).
Anyway they are super to talk to & know everyone in egin lake area.
If u would like to hook up with them pm me. They have lived 1mi from big bowl ( dead horse as newbies call it ) for 40 plus yrs & know the sands better than anyone.

I have a 3600 sq ft, 6bd, 3.5 bath, study, salon, huge garaged, rv pad, auto sprink, pool area home on the east bench ( just below the B ) in Brigham UT. 4 SALE. 3hr drive to st anthony & 2.5 to sand mountain.
Awsome hood with new park across the street to the north.
1ozloads@comcast.net

NOSJunkie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by NOSJunkie »

[

NOSJunkie - What made you decide on Oregon? I guess it's not as cold as Idaho, but way more rainy.

[
I like being near the coast, sand, and outdoors. Where I live (1 hour So. west of Lake Tahoe) we get about 75" of rain a year, at Coos bay Oregon they got 60" last year.. I looked at Idaho, but its too cold in the winter. It sure is pretty in the summer. Oregon might be liberal but I saw alot of guns for sale in the local paper, guns you cannot buy in calif. Look at Brookings Oregon, I hear its like a sun belt. Oregon dunes are a few hours up the road. The price of homes in oregon are alot more resonable than calif.. We like the Reedsport area, and Bandon..
34' Pace Arrow
1 Ton CJ7
LIVE FREE OR DIE (NH State motto)

azpyroguy
ASA Board Member • CF Chairman • Webmaster
ASA Board Member • CF Chairman • Webmaster

Post by azpyroguy »

I am considering moving up there myself. I worked in the Pocatello/Idaho Falls area for 11 months for Lockheed Martin on a contract, I loved the area.. yes it got a bit cold, but being originally from the midwest, not nearly like it did in Iowa.

Right now I have about 200k in equity in my home, and was thinking in the next 1-2 years once I complete my masters degree, and CISSP programs leaving area (been here 10 years now), and moving up there, by time time I am ready, I should have nearly 300k in equity that I can pay cash for place, and work up there, for the lesser wages, and still keep my toys and have a nice place to live in...

The area is absolutely gorgeous.. I only wish that I had known about the dunes up there when I was working up there... cuz I spent some time in Rexburg.... and yes most of the people are really nice...

While I was working up there, a local family took me in like I was one of them, inviting me over to Turkey Day, and even a wedding.. I felt kinda out of place, like I was mooching off them.. and even said so.. they said.. NO WAY.. WE INVITED YOU... ITS OUR RELIGION THAT NO ONE CAN BE WITHOUT FAMILY/FRIENDS ON HOLIDAYS/SPECIAL OCCASIONS, so I learned to accept it...
Scott Swenka, Former ASA Board of Directors, Chairman - ASA CF Program & ASA Website Admin

550hp Tatum Evolution Long Travel
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, Cummins 6.7
2008 Keystone Fuzion 382 40' 5th Wheel
2019 Tesla Model S P100D
2011 Dodge Challenger Blown 426

Dark Matter Armory and Precision

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Scott, we bought some property in Idaho and have been spending considerable time there. We are about 6 hrs from St Anthony and maybe a litttle longer to the Oregon coast. We are just outside of Boise, in Eagle. The neighbors tell us the winters have been moderate, and while it does get cold, it isn't a wet cold and really is similar to other high desert areas. We'll find out more this winter, and I can be more exact, rather than repeating what we've heard.
As far as acreage goes, there are some areas around Boise, where you can buy acreage reasonably. There was one piece we looked at between Boise and Mountain Home that has freeway frontage and is on an off-ramp. The property is 40 A, potential commercial, and the asking price is $199K. We haven't done any looking at all around Pocatello or Idaho Falls, and in fact, have only passed through Twin Falls, and not done any looking. If we move to the Boise area on a more full time basis, that will change and we'll look at those areas also. I would have to think it gets colder over there, than right around Boise.
We'll be going up on Labor Day for a visit. Our daughter is staying at our house with the kids and they started school in Boise today. We'll see how that goes, but so far they really like it, and it remains to be seen if the husband/father can find the job he wants, so we have our reservations on how that will go, but remain guardedly hopeful.

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

Sorry I haven't responded to anybody lately. We have been very busy.

Guess why..... :D

We flew-up to Idaho Falls for Labor Day weekend. We did a lot of looking around from Pocatello to St. Anthony City to the dunes, to Rexburg, etc, trying to get a feel for the area(s), the people and the lifestyle.

We looked at a lot of homes too with our agent and on the last day we found one in Idaho Falls that seemed to satisfy all our needs.

We got home Tuesday night (9/6) and decided to make an offer. The same night, we put our house-up for sale. :shock:

As you can see, we liked the area, the people and the lifestyle and are pretty much committed to moving now.

Our offer was accepted the next day. However, we are doing it on a contigency (must sell our house before we can pay for new house). In Idaho, they have some different rules. In this case, the seller is able to invoke a 48 hour rule which basically means they accept our offer but can continue to list their house. If they get another offer that is acceptable to them before our house goes into escrow, then we have 48 hours to start escrow on their house or we have to give-up our position. So we hope we find a buyer soon.

The plan is to sell our place, pay-off our current mortgage and selling costs and still have enough left over to buy the new place out right.

Speaking of the new place. It is a 4000 square foot custom home built in '96 on a 3 acre lot. :shock:

They call it a "Ranchette" as it has adequate room for a few horses.

Currently 3 bed, 2 bath with unfinished walkout basement. Depending on how we decide to finish the basement, it could be a 6 bed, 3 bath home.

..and we going to buy the place out-right with the proceeds from our 1640 SQFT, built in '56, dump in Westminster. :shock:

It's amazing isn't it.

Of course, our only real concern left at this point is finding descent paying jobs when we get there.. One thing that helps though is we don't have to worry about making mortgage payments now. :D

I will try to keep everyone posted as we go along.

(fingers crossed)
Scott

Idaho Falls

hansshanks
1st Gear Member

Post by hansshanks »

Hello, mt name is Hans. I moved to Idaho from southern central california. I moved to Idaho in 1999. When i moved my inlaws and all the employees at their general contracting firm moved also. I lived in Oakhurst California just north of Fresno.. I grew up in southern california. Pamona area. I now have a son that attends school here in Nampa Idaho. He loves it. I have been very happy with the schools here so far. Way less liberal than they were in california.

We my inlaws and there employess moved up here most of thenm sold there houses in Cali and payed cash for their houses here. Some even bought to to avoid taxes. I ride regularly. We go to SA several times a year. From my house in Nampa which is about 15 minutes west of Boise on I84. It takes 5.5 hours at 65 pulling a 26ft toyhauler. We go every year for memorial, 4 July and laborday weekends.
I sepnt time after i got married in the Pismo Cali area. And loved the cost. But i hate Clai politics and the F'n liberals. Idaho is a conservative state With a large Mromon and Christian population. Eastern Idaho is perdominately mormon and white. South Western Idaho has a large hispanic sector. Large due to the agriculture. I could not be happier in Idaho. I worked inthe Technology sector for many years. ut i finally got out because of corporate downsizing a couple of years ago. Now i am a fulltime Federal Technician for the Idaho National Guard. I am currently deployed to Iraq with the army national guard.

The Winters in Idaho are not that bad. They are colder than Claifornia. But also much dryer. The snow is mainly in the moutains. In the 6 years that i have been in Idaho I have been able to ride my street bike for 8 to 10 months out of the year. I ride my dirtbike and fourwheeler just about year round. I finaly park them when the snow gets deep enough in the mountains to go snowboarding. Many of he people in my Natiional Guard unit live in Saint Anthony. They are deployed with me also right now.

I go to SA on all the major summer holiday weekends and it has never been to crowded. All thought some more campground space would be nice. That gets a little full on holiday weekends. the camping fees are getting more exepensive now the the BLM is improving the public cmpgrounds. Runnig water and showers.

I hope this helps some. if you have any wuestions feel free to email me. hans.shanks@us.army.mil i can put you in touch with some of my friends that are here with me that live in eastern Idaho. To include Pocatello, rexburg, idaho falls, and Saint Anthony. Also SA is only good for duning in the sprign to fall as it is around the 5kft elevation mark and gets snow in the winter. But that is usually only from late oct to march.
It's the Military, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It's the Military, not the politicians that ensures our right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. It's the Military who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag.

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

hansshanks wrote:...I am currently deployed to Iraq with the army national guard.
Thanks for the info and thank you for your service.
Scott

Idaho Falls

jm102397

Post by jm102397 »

Scott-
Congratulations-will keep my fingers crossed that all goes smoothly for you selling your house :)
Maybe we can talk about renting some space to store a rig on that 3 acres of yours! :D
Julie Monroe

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar »

Way to go on your sig!

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Scott, what you had to say is basically the way we felt when we spent some time in the Boise area. We have not yet made it over to Idaho Falls and that area.
Hans, thanks for the time frame on hauling the trailer from Nampa to SA, as I was thinking somewhere around 6 hours; 5 1/2 sounds reassuring. We will be located close by and will likely move there pretty much full time. Our daughter is living in Eagle now, with the kids going to school there, and so far, they love it!

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

WooHoo!!

After 21 days on the market, we got an offer on our house last Monday and after spending the week haggling, we finally agreed on a price that will allow us to pay for the new house in full and still have a little money leftover. We hope to start escrow on both houses Monday. Closing is set for 45 days or less which means we could be moving to Idaho Falls mid-November or sooner. Down side is by then, it could be too cold in St. Anthony's for any duning 'till spring :(

On the other hand, maybe we will be able to get one or two Glamis runs in before we move :D

In the meantime, I've been checking out some of those new fangled long-travel Snowmobiles :D
Scott

Idaho Falls

Sand Commander

Post by Sand Commander »

Even if we did, it wouldn't solve most of the things we have grown to hate about California. I'm actually hoping California breaks-off and sinks into the see now.
I see you are a product of the California public school system. I doubt you will see California sink into the sea. See what I mean? See ya
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

Sand Commander wrote:
Even if we did, it wouldn't solve most of the things we have grown to hate about California. I'm actually hoping California breaks-off and sinks into the see now.
I see you are a product of the California public school system. I doubt you will see California sink into the sea. See what I mean? See ya

Ok, I'm going to retract that statement and even edit it out.

Obviously, I was speaking from frustration and wouldn't really want to see CA sink into the sea and all the death and devastation that would occur. And you right, it will not be sinking into the sea. But, in a few tens to hundreds of millions of years, CA will likely become an Island perhaps off the coast of Alaska (assuming Alaska hasn't moved). :D
Scott

Idaho Falls

Sand Commander

Post by Sand Commander »

Sand Commander wrote:
Quote:

Ok, I'm going to retract that statement and even edit it out.
I was just kidding with you. Don't take it seriously!
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

No worries Sand Commander, I knew you were kidding. :D

I did go to Public School though and I thought Public Education was bad back then. The more money we throw at it, the worse it seems to get. :shock:

Another good reason to leave Kalifornia :D
Scott

Idaho Falls

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

I hope the sale and purchase both go well and everything works out the way you plan, Scott.

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

Thanks FunRunner.

Also, "Sand Commander", It took my brother "Scooby-Dune" to point out that your comment was referring to my use of the word "see" instead of "sea" and not to the general statement "I hope CA sinks into the see (sea)". Boy, I feel stupid now. :oops:

How about those public schools? :D
Scott

Idaho Falls

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

Update:

We'll the offer we had fell through. They backed-out a few days into it. But....

The next day we got another offer. We ended-up settling on the same price as the previous offer and set close to 30 days instead of the 45 of the previous offer. We have been in escrow a little over a week now. Everything seems to be going Ok (fingers crossed). Were set to move around the first week of November if all goes well.

On another front, I've been looking into what I am going to do for a living when I get there. :shock:

One thing I'm doing some research on is possibly opening-up a Sandrail/VW Parts shop (kinda like Pacific Customs Unlimited or Moores Parts) near Saint Anthony dunes. According to some of the locals on duneratt.com Forum, there isn't any Sandrail parts store anywhere in Idaho much less by St. Anthony. :shock:

How do people fix their rails out there, I wonder?
(you can only do so much with duct tape, JB Weld and tie downs)

If nothing else, I may need to open-up a store so I can get parts for our rails when they break. :roll:

It would be seasonal but maybe doing some mail order during the St. Anthony off-season (Glamis on-season) could help to float the business. I would think with the lower Real Estate costs, lower labor costs and no sales tax to CA, AZ, UT or OR residents, I could beat PCU/Moores prices in the Mail Order market.

Hmmmm. Something to think about.

Anybody here now of a Sandrail Parts store near SA?
Scott

Idaho Falls

jm102397

Post by jm102397 »

Nope, closest one that I know of that does anything sandrail related is a guy named Kona in Nampa. His stuff is not really even sand related but VW related in general. That's why so many of us end up knowing the UPS guy up there on a first name basis (BTW-it's Jeremy :))

Besides JB Weld and duct tape, people rely on other duners ALOT. We once had a local go back to his house in town to weld something for us (not sure why we didn't have ours with us that trip). My husband, Jamie, has helped a number of people out up there over the years because he tends to pack EVERYTHING when we go, spare parts do no good if they're sitting back in Phoenix ;)

Could be a good idea-may want to look at expanding to also doing snowmobile parts and keep it open year round.

Good luck with everything Scott-our house should be listed next week if we don't find someone interested in it ourselves before then.

Julie
Julie Monroe

Batoutahell
1st Gear Member

Post by Batoutahell »

I dont live in Idaho, but in Wyoming. We visit st. anthony quite a bit and love it up there. We have considered moving as well, but I have a family business here that pays the bills with considerable free time for me to go duning. Plus I have a small dune area 45 minutes from my house, and little sahara is 5 hours as is st. a's.

Enough rambling, join the site over at dunereview, we try to plan trips together and things like that. Once settled in, we should plan a glamis trip. I sold my sandrail, but will be building another and will be duning this next spring if all goes well.

There are no dune related stores, I think some of the bike shops in rexburg carry some parts, tires etc, but nothing buggy related that I have seen or heard of. I think it is a great idea, Rocky Mtn ATV is located in Utah and they have done great, and I think they beat most prices in california, arizona and the rest of the country. Even with shipping usually. Location is not everything anymore, with the advent of the internet you would do great with the mailorder end of things.

Also, some people dont realize that the duning community stretches much further then glamis.
Paul

jm102397

Post by jm102397 »

IIRC Kona (the guy in Nampa) is mostly an internet business also :)
Julie Monroe

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Snewbank:
I would think with the lower Real Estate costs, lower labor costs and no sales tax to CA, AZ, UT or OR residents, I could beat PCU/Moores prices in the Mail Order market.
You have shipping costs to your location to consider, that is, unless you have your suppliers drop ship for you; that is unlikely on a large scale. Also, you have buy-ins to consider to get on the price level of a PCU or Moore's. That is a lot more formidable than you might consider. I will be located much of the time in Eagle, Idaho, which is not far from Nampa. I have been in the off road business for a long time, and I don't have a formula that I can propose for the area, but I can say that advertising on the order of some of the mail order guys, is very expensive.
If you are looking for something to do, look at your background and see how it might apply to the locale. If that doesn't seem all that plausible, then consider what the area might support and where you can apply your skills. If you keep coming back to the off-road, dune scene, then you might formulate some scenarios that you think would be attractive and where you could use your knowledge and abilities.
It is going to take a bundle of dough to get into mail order, unless you come up with some unique products you can introduce to the market.
I'll be in Idaho over the next weekend; if I come up with a $$$making proposition, I'll let you know :wink:

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

Thanks for the info/advice everybody. I could sure use it.

If I do pursue this, I would probably start-out small and work-up to something on the scale of PCU/Moores. Just Inventory alone has to be huge. I'm sure PCU/Moores have a couple million dollars in Inventory at any given time!

For advertising in Sandsports Magazine, I wonder what it costs per page per month ($2000?, $10,000?). I suppose by "Buy-in" you mean the quantity per month that you have to commit to in order to get the low price-level. Another possibility, maybe, is fabing parts in Idaho like Latest Rage type parts but better quality.

As far as my own skills, I have been a Major Accounts Service Engineer working for large PC Manufacturers for the past 15+ years. I don't really expect to find a job doing the same in Idaho Falls. That is why I am looking for a career change. In fact, aside from a being a Nuclear Physicist at Idaho National Laboratories, I don't see too many high paying jobs in the Idaho Falls area. And, I don't think being known as a "Mad Scientist" by friends and family will substitute for a PhD in Physics for a job at INL

Just the same, I am optimistic that some opportunity will come-up. The beauty of this move is our new house will essentially be payed-off which means I could work at McDonalds and still make ends meet. Try doing that in CA. :shock:

McDs is not my first choice though. Some how some way, I want to make some good money in Idaho and enjoy my work in the process.

BTW - I keep hearing about this place in Nampa, ID. I looked-up Nampa on Mapquest, It is west Boise!!! That's a long way to go for parts.
Scott

Idaho Falls

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

You'll find your niche, because you are industrious and willing to look at the prospects.
What I meant by buy-ins, is that most vendors require you to spend a sum to get their best pricing. There is usually a maintenance figure also, meaning you are expected to maintain a level of purchases.
As far as the magazines go, they do have a frequency discount, for taking the ad for 6 mos. or 1 year, etc. The magazines will vary in rates, according to their circulation. Rates will run generally from over $1000 per page per mo.
One thing a guy could consider, is coming out with a # of his own items, if you are good at design and ideas. That will take some promotion to get the ball rolling and good items are subject to copycats stealing your design.
I'm sure you'll come up with something, and having your house paid up will certainly help, big time.

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy »

Just a quick note. I'm a former So Cal boy who just moved to Idaho. I left with enough to buy a lot and build a house. I've been to St. Anthony's a couple of times this year. A better part of the dunes will be closed as of November 1st. Elk migration I'm told. Violators will be cited if caught. Also, there is a dude out of Rexburg who has a good size mobile trailer....like mobile home size, that he sells parts, t-shirts, and food out of. He parks the trailer there from opening...April 1st, to closing, November 1st. I'm in Rigby which is 35 minutes from the dunes.Job market is slow, with average wages from 8 to 10 dollars an hour for somewhat skilled labor. Minimum wage here is $5.15 an hour. Almost all LDS, and Californians are "tolerated" Questions? I'm here to help...

d_sheffs
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by d_sheffs »

FWIW
I too was born and raised in SoCal. spent 30 years there and had my fill. for more or less of all the reasons above. Well I now live in Vegas. There are several things that are really nice about living here. first, glamis is only about 40 miles further than driving from OC and dumont is downright CLOSE. you also are fairly close to CP dunes, no worse than driving from SC to glamis, so it really puts you in a position to dune YEAR ROUND.

Vegas also has the added bonus of not moving to a tiny town where you are isolated, but not a huge metrop like SC. It seems to be a good balance. Sure there are some lib kooks here like dingy Harry, but still nothing like CA (hey our electorals went to W!!!) It is kinda funny to talk to your neighbors from Kansas and listen to them talk and whine about traffic and crowds.......they have no clue....it is no comparison to CA. to top it off, there is a decent job market here.

really the only major thing most people complain about here is the HOT SUMMER and I emphasise summer because most people think it is 114 here year round, when in reality, LV does have seasons. But I bet many in the duning community are also boaters and Lake Mead and Mohave and Havasu are a stones throw.

unfortunatley, i think i am not the only Cali that moved here as growth has caused the real estate to go up significantly, but still a good deal to CA.

yeah I miss my friends and the nice CA weather andmany of the amenities of CA, but after 6 years of being gone.......................I WILL NEVER RETURN.

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

We just returned from Idaho yesterday, and it was getting pretty chilly there. Weather improved as we approached Vegas and continued nice till home. It is true. You can't beat the overall weather conditions of So Cal.
From Twin Falls to past Wells, Nv. the mountains were showing lots of snow, and most of the cars coming from the opposite direction, had snow on the hoods, etc. It looked a bit ominous for awhile, and it won't be much longer before driving through those areas will become much more difficult.
When we were in Wells, getting fuel, the semi driver next to us asked where we were headed. I told him Whittier, CA. and he said he had lived in Cal most of his life, but had moved to Medford, Ore. a couple of yrs ago and was happy there. When I told him we had purchased property in Idaho, he said he lived in Idaho Falls for a couple of years and it got down to as low as 32 degrees below.......and they say the weather cycle will point to another drastic winter one of these years....... :shock:
......if winter months get too drastic, there is always the CA, NV, or AZ desert to consider....... 8)

Return to “St. Anthony Dunes”