Living in St. Anthony? Idaho in General?

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

FunRunner
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by FunRunner »

I got an e-mail from a long time customer, who says he resides in Idaho now. The scene will never get to CA or AZ levels of off-roaders/duners, but we should be able to come up with an association of enthusiasts, perhaps loosely knit, to represent the area.

jm102397
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by jm102397 »

Looks like it's time for you and Linda to become the reps for the ASA up in Idaho Roger :D
Congratulations on your retirement!
Julie Monroe

jm102397

Post by jm102397 »

BTW-
I posted a few months ago that we were "considering" a move to Utah...we have gone way past that stage now :) Finished some projects on the house, listed it and had it in escrow in 5 days :D We are also in escrow on our new home in Utah-closings are the 14th and 16th of next month and we will start the big job of getting alllll of our stuff up there, with the final trip for the actual move right after Christmas. Can't wait to be able to make St. Anthony our "regular" dunes instead of someplace we are only able to be at once a year!
Julie Monroe

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Thanks Julie and congratulation on your sale and purchase. We're not exactly neighbors in the new digs, but route 15 is certainly within limits of travel; and just think how many of the Californians and Arizonians who'll be coming your way in the summer months :) BTW, the drive from Vegas to Idaho is nothing other than boring; a spattering of excitement at Ely; Wells is something akin to Baker; and Jackpot won't get your interest all that much, though there likely is great potential there. We likely will head up for the TG week.
Keep us up to date on your move to Utah, Julie.
How cold is it??? :roll: jeeesh, my gawd!

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

YEA!!!!, WE MADE IT!!!!

Actually, we have been here in Idaho Falls for about two weeks now but we just got DSL hooked-up yesterday so I can start doing e-mail.

I have to say, the move was a nightmare. We were supposed to be close a few days early but it kept getting delayed due to mortgage lender issues on both sides. We ended-up closing a week and a half late. We got here on Nov 16th.

BTW – Never use Allied Movers. We were supposed to get a 54’ trailer all to ourselves since we had so much to move. They showed-up with a truck that was halfway full with someone elses stuff. Needless to say, all our stuff wouldn’t fit so they crammed in as much as possible (crushing boxes in the process) and put the rest of our stuff in storage to wait for another truck. It sat there for over a week and we are still waiting for the rest of our stuff to arrive. It’s supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

Well enough of the bad stuff. Let me tell you WE LOVE IT HERE!!!!
The people are great. We had many neighbors bringing over fresh baked cookies, lunch baskets full of bread, cheese and homemade soup, etc. It’s kinda scary how nice the neighbors are. Hell, I didn’t even know most of my neighbors in Cali after living there for for 11 years!!!!

One of the first things we did is go out and buy a quad. I have never really ridden quads much since we are sandrail people. I opted for a basic utility quad so I can do some work around the property (3 acres). We got a Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 quad. They had a deal and through in the detachable snow plow option for free.

It is SOOO KOOOL. We have trails right across the street from my house that go on for hundreds of miles. No trailering required. I put 40 miles on the quad in the first two days. You can drive your quad on the street here and there is no Helmet laws (though we wear them out of common since but I like having the freedom of choice).

The first week here was sunny and not too cold. Day after thanksgiving, we got our first snow. I took the quad out on the trails and found it to be just as much fun in the snow.

We also went out and bought an assortment of sleds and an innertube. Our driveway (about 800 feet long) makes a good downhill run. Walking back up it sucks though. So I put a tow strap on the quad. Now were talking some real sleding fun!

Here is a link to some pictures I have taken since we got here.

http://www.newbankster.com/idahopics/

Next, we are going to try snowmobiling. It’s all the rage here during the winter. Everybody says it’s just like duning but without the sand in all your orifices.

I haven’t tried the Baja in the snow yet but I would think the paddles would work great for launching snow roosts.

P.S. - I Don't miss the OC traffic at all!
Scott

Idaho Falls

jm102397

Post by jm102397 »

The area looks beautiful-can you even believe yet that you own the place and ALL that land?? :shock: :D

Congratulations on the new place-it's got to be a big change but I would imagine one for the better!

We close in 2 weeks-can't wait to get to the new place. Though we don't have the amount of land you guys do, we found an awesome custom built multi-level (5) home that is over 3000 sq. feet on a little more than 1/3 of an acre for 10K more than what we sold our home for here :)
Our new backyard abuts to the Uintas National Forest-we are right in the foothills of the mountains.
And Jamie is in heaven-2 garages (upper and lower) that are both heated. Have views of the mountains and Utah Lake from our upper deck :D
I'd post pics but still haven't been able to figure out that whole process... ;)
Julie Monroe

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by BHenry »

jm102397 wrote:I'd post pics but still haven't been able to figure out that whole process... ;)
Julie, I have it all documented, right HERE :wink:
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Whoa, Scott! that's some impressive back yard! just a dream, realized; boy, look at all the room and roam ability; how far to shopping and conveniences?
Sounds like you went through a real ordeal with the movers; I kind of got an uneasy feeling just in preliminary talks with movers; that's why we've made two trips to date with our own trailer, hauling furniture, etc. If we fully make the move, it will likely take two more trips; admittedly arduous and a decision not easily made; the main detracting feature with the movers, is that you are totally at their mercy re time schedule, which if they fail to meet, doesn't give you recourse. I like the feeling of having control of our possessions, such as it is.
Julie, good luck with your move. It sounds as though you might be there for the holidays?
We will be spending Christmas in Boise. It snowed lightly there Tues, Wed, and Thurs, and likely to continue; it was sunny when we left on Wed, but cold, nonetheless; you could say that a CA born and raised native, is a bit of a wimp, when it comes to this type weather. Layered clothing, what is that? how many pair? oh no, you got to be kidding; where're my shorts? my T-shirt? brrrrr :x not too sure about this cold weather thing...... :P

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy »

Hey Roger,
Just a quick note to say I got your E-mail, and look forward to seeing you at St. Anthony's. I ran into Scott at Lowe's today....Can you believe it? We got a chance to exchange info and look forward to some dune time. Quick question... Do you know of anyone within driving distance of me....Rigby...that works on Autocraft engines? I've got a couple of things I'd like to take care of in the off season, and don't want to haul the car to California if I don't have to. BTW... my Dad says Hi, and to give Linda his best...
David...... :D [/i][/b]

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

David, Boofooguy huh? you probably told me that, but now I know! you tell Danny Lopez, the paving czar of Azuza, that Roger says hi, and good to hear from both of you; thanks for getting in touch, David.
I'm sure it's colder in I F, than it is is Boise; I've either got to get use to that, or spend most of the winter in the desert down South :P
When you guys drive up, I imagine you stay on 15 all the way; we take 93 through Nev, through Ely and Jackpot, into Twin Falls; some boring, long stretches along that route. Ely's roughly the 1/2 way point, and we usually go further the 1st day; we've made the drive 3 X now, twice with the trailer, and we've got the house up there pretty much furnished, for now.
BTW, my e-mail on yahoo is rtnwc@yahoo.com; stay in touch and keep me posted what you'all are up to, you Idahoans. 8)

jm102397

Post by jm102397 »

FunRunner wrote:Julie, good luck with your move. It sounds as though you might be there for the holidays?
We take possession the 17th but then we get to start what you've been doing-THE MOVE :shock:

We are also doing it ourselves-we still have our old coach and trailer, our new coach and trailer, 2 trucks and alll the other stuff and are figuring 2-3 trips. We will be back and forth between the 17th and the 24th, definitely in AZ for Xmas and then back on the road right after to get the last load moved. New buyers don't take possession here til the evening of the 28th. Still can't believe I actually got everything to work the way I hoped it would in regards to being able to stay here for Christmas but have the boys ready to start school there 1/2/06....we have been very, very fortunate :)
Julie Monroe

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

I think you guys are doing it the smart way by using you toy haulers to move yourselves. If you have any second thoughts about moving yourselves, let me tell you the rest of our story.

The movers arrived Thursday (a day late) with the rest of our stuff that wouldn’t fit on the first truck (two weeks late in total). The driver began telling me that he didn’t have enough space in his truck for all our stuff to fit because he was 3/4th full with someone else’s load. So, in order to get everything on this load he had to cut my workbench in half!!!! :shock:

This is the workbench that I spent two weeks of Xmas vacation building from scratch. It is 10ft long, 3ft wide and weighs 400 lbs. I wanted a solid workbench so I made the counter top 1.5 inches thick (3/4” particle board on top of ¾” plywood with a formica top, no seams) and Allied cut a 2 foot section of the top off just so they could stand it up in the truck!!!

The guy offered to put it back together for me but I couldn’t see how he was going to unsaw the counter-top back together so I said “thanks, but no thanks”. I got it back together but it has a big seam were the two pieces join now.

Also, they lost a solid wood DVD cabinet we had. There maybe other stuff missing or damaged that we don’t know about yet. We are thinking of taking them to court but I can’t see how that would be cost effective at this point. We did put in a claim with Allied but I doubt we’ll ever here back from them. In the end, all I can really do is discourage everyone I know not to use Allied-Berger for moving.

On a more positive note, were still enjoying it up here. We are about 5 miles from shopping but that only translates to about 7 minutes of driving here (no traffic and only one stop light to get to town). I’ve yet to find something that I need but can’t get in town.

It is cold here but not as bad as I thought it would be. It’s a dry cold, which seems better just like a dry heat is. Also, since getting our DSL line I have been comparing the temperatures on weather.com for Idaho Falls to our own thermometer and it is consistently warmer then weather.com is reporting. For instance, right now weather.com reports it to be 12F degrees here but my thermometer says it 22F degrees. Maybe they report it as being colder to discourage more Kali folks from moving here :)

Either way, the whole package deal here far out weighs the cold factor.

Congratulations and good luck everybody on your moves and DON'T USE ALLIED-BERGER.
Scott

Idaho Falls

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Merry Christmas from Idaho ho ho :D

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy »

:D
Hello all, and Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year. Just got off the phone with a buddy from our old group. Glamis has gotten soo bad in the last few years, that we, for 'bout the last six year have been going to Buttercup for New Years. They arrived at 10 am on Wednesday morning to find that all the campgrounds were full, and ended up parking over the hill and past the plank road almost at the very end....On WEDNESDAY!..Ya, I miss California.. :wink: ..He told me the dunes were completely torn up, and for the first time that I've heard, had a huge double wide trailer parked there by the Sheriffs, not Rangers, Sheriffs, to help control the idiots. He said by Friday, he couldn't even get out of his camp. He packed it up, and came home on Friday night saying he would never go again on a holiday. Missing the dunes big time, but I sure don't miss that mess...Hey Roger, have you heard anything 'bout how Glamis was?

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

I haven't spoken with anyone who went to Glamis yet. We just got home, after being in Idaho for nearly two weeks, and then here for a day, then up to Santa Barbara for two days, down to Oxnard for two days, and now back in Whittier, barely! :P
I'll have to get in touch with Steve Mitchell; I'm sure he went to Glamis and he should be home by now. I hope all went well for him and the rest of the guys at Glamis, but I know what you mean about the dunes being torn up; thank God for suspension!
How's the weather going David? we talked to our daughter in Boise briefly today, but didn't ask about the weather. It's been raining cats and dogs here the last couple of days; came down from the North, I guess.
I wonder how the weather impacted Glamis?
BTW, on our way home, we went by Dumont for a brief looksee! That was on Wed. before New Years and there was already a pretty good crowd started.

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar »

Snewbank, I have been following your story with interest. Please give us an update on how a SoCal couple is coping with Idaho life.

Does the wifey like?

How are you dealing with the cold? 11 degrees today I see.

Have you found employment?

Please keep this post alive.

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Kevlar wrote:Snewbank, I have been following your story with interest. Please give us an update on how a SoCal couple is coping with Idaho life.

Does the wifey like?

All good questions; there are pluses and minuses that should be considered, if you are thinking of relocating to any area; the cold is certainly one of the aspects to consider. :shock:

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

Kevlar wrote:Snewbank, I have been following your story with interest. Please give us an update on how a SoCal couple is coping with Idaho life.

Does the wifey like?

Sorry, I've been in hibernation :D

Were still loving it here. No regrets leaving SoCal. Only downside so far is Shopping is a little limited here. Especially when it comes to specialty items.

For instance, I have been fabricating a GoKart and so far I have found a couple of places to buy steel but none of the places have showrooms like IMS in Irvine. You have to know exactly what you want when you go there and they don't sell precut lengths and their rem-stock is very limited.

Another thing, I have yet to find a good place to buy bolts. A place where you can find virtually any bolt or nut type you can imagine and in any grade. A place like McFadden-Dale or Hillco Fasteners in Garden Grove.

For more general items, (Home Electronics, etc) selection is limited. I'm used to SoCal where you can buy anything locally. However, we did sort of expect this when we moved here and we figured it wouldn't be much of a problem because now days you can buy anything you want over the Internet so that has worked out fine. You just have to wait for you stuff to arrive.

On the plus side, since homes here are a little more spread-out, when UPS leaves a package at your door you can pretty much guarantee it will still be there when you get home. Not like SoCal where your front door is pretty much 10' from the street and every would be thief driving by can see your packages tempting them to steal it.

It's the little things that make living in Idaho so much better then SoCal :D

BTW-Did I mention we havn't been stuck in traffic once in the three months we've been here 8)

Regarding the Cold, don't believe everything you read on the weatherchannel.com I have found that they are consistently wrong when forcasting (or even reporting current conditions) in Idaho Falls. Sometimes there will say it's currently snowing when in fact it's sunny without a cloud in the sky. Sometimes they'll report todays highs in the teens when it was in fact in the 40's. I bought a personal weather station and set it up in my back lot. I compare my readings with the weatherchannel.com every morning and they rarely come close to the same. As a matter of fact, right now the weatherchannel.com says it is 9 degrees outside but my various temperature gauges are averaging about 35 degrees outside.

Don't get me wrong, it does get cold here. But again, it is a dry cold and that somehow makes it better (just like a dry heat is better).

For instance, last night I had to take the RV cover off our Moho (it was getting ripped from the wind). The top of the cover was frozen to the roof of the RV at a couple of places and I had to use a hair dryer to get it off. :shock:

The sun had just set and it was 15 degrees out. :shock:

All I was wearing were a pair of sweats, uggs, and a thin jacket and it was cold but not so cold I felt like I had to run into the house and put on something thicker.

You look at the thermometer and the snow/ice on the ground and think it has to miserable outside but it really isn't that bad.

The only time it is really bad is when the wind is blowing.

Regarding work, We have been lazy bums lately and still haven't started looking. I have a little cash still to hold us over for awhile but we do need to start looking. If nothing else, I'm starting to run out of things to do and I'm going to get bored and have to go back to work just for something to do. On the other hand, spring is just around the corner which means.....

It's St. Anthony Time!!!!!
Scott

Idaho Falls

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

It's St. Anthony Time!!!!!
I envy you to the MAX!

I could run my business from a far, but I'd rack up the flight time...

We'll be up in Idaho Middle week of June 16th to the 25th...

Maybe we could hook up, and tell us "The Rest of the Story"

Steve

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Depending on what type work you are looking for, I tend to notice things that are going well. Of course, you've always got companies like UPS and Fed EX to consider. R C Willey, the furniture retailer, has a presence from Vegas to Salt Lake to Boise; they've opened a new store near Reno, and appear to be a good company for which to work. A few of the sales people I've talked with, speak highly of them, and they seem to make good money...and they have quite a few trucks on the road..There are always service type businesses to consider, depending on the population and need.

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

I just visited the new RC Willey store in Reno the other day looking for a remote camera for the buggy and for skiing. They didn't have them but I did chat with the sales person for a while. You can make a good chunk of change working there. As for dealing with the cold. We burn wood 24/7 and keep the house 74 degrees or better. A bit messy, but I like to be warm. We cut it our selves. I have four chain saws,Stihl and Husqvarna brands, a log splitter, and a good old truck. Only need to fill the 500 gallon propane tank once every 3 or 4 years and I buy it in the middle of summer when prices are low. I'll go through 3-5 cords of wood a year burning in a high efficiencywood stove thats built into the wall so it looks like a fireplace. Our house is 3500 sq. ft. on 2 1/2 acres @ 5,500 ft. Give Skiing a thought, to get you through the winter months. We look forward to winter. You have Grand Targee in that area and the snow must be great, cold and dry. We buy season passes at the local Mt., ( Mt. Rose, $ 300.00 for the year, each), and buy equipment when it is on sale, like right now. And of course, don't eat the yellow snow.

:roll:
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Anyone thinking of doing a parts store up there, give me a call, I may be able to help.
The trip before last, driving the Tacoma, we hit a snow storm from Twin Falls, to about an hour S. of Wells; gets a little bit anxious, wondering if it is going to worsen; no problem though; just took longer, and used 4WD for that stretch; the snowplows keep the lanes clear pretty well, but it can get treacherous quickly. I would not like getting caught in a REAL storm. :shock:
Lately, we've been driving, rather than flying, as we've been hauling items up there. The Tacoma doesn't hold all that much, but you wouldn't believe how much we had crammed into it, the first time we drove it. We also have driven the F250 2X, hauling the box trailer, with furniture, and I am considering it again this trip, as we've got enough stuff for at least 3 trips in Toy; not enough to fill the trailer, but we can easily get it done in 1 trip. Parking the trailer there, is a little bit of a problem; last time we had it up, we parked it at one of the houses, in the RV sideyard; the tenants (original owners) had just moved out; that is rented again (not quickly) and I don't know if the tenants would appreciate a large trailer parked there, or even if they are using the space. I'm imaginative; in any case, I'll figure somewhere to keep it, while we're there.
Incidentally, we are helping keep the RC Willey's store afloat; we have purchased 3 King beds, a frig, 2 small dining tables, 4 couches, and a bunch of other stuff there; getting to the point where it is pretty cozy. Two of the couches were for the home where our daughter is living; so we've been furnishing two homes; I forgot, add two twin beds to the list of items purchased, some dressers and, to be concluded.

jm102397

Post by jm102397 »

Been doing the same here in UT for RC Willey-though I am also going to be using a custom upholsterer for some more "unique" things. RC Willey has to just be loving the amt. of business they are getting from all us "emigrees" ;)

So Roger-what is Northwest Connections? Is this going o be your next business venture? Been to the website but not really any info on there yet...
Julie Monroe

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

jm 102397:
So Roger-what is Northwest Connections? Is this going o be your next business venture? Been to the website but not really any info on there yet...
There was a little info, but our web guy changed the look, and he hasn't been real quick, getting with the program; as usual, it boils down to the owner of the site providing most of the info, and I haven't given him a whole lot to work with, although we have discussed some ideas, some of which have been modified, already.
As far as a business venture, it could work out that way. Real estate is our business now, but not in any official capacity. I have some ideas of illustrating homes for sale by owners and rentals, anything from apartments, to luxury homes. Rents are very attractive for the tenant in and around Boise, right now; how long that will last, is hard to predict, but money is still coming in from CA and other states, to Idaho, as it has to AZ and NV, among other places, I'm sure.
The deal is, to put out a lot of information on activities and features of the area, including off roading opportunities and news; then illustrate with pics and virtual tours, available properties for sale or rent. If we do a good job, we may be able to do this with some builders; but it may never happen as the drive to go forward, may not be provided by yours truly.
The builder we bought our home from there, had orignially used the home for clients to visit the area. It has 4BR and 4BA. so it could house a small group. He rented it reasonably or put people up for free, to get them there to look at some of his projects; that's how we happened to buy the place. He actually had it up for sale, with the thought of converting the prospect to other properties, but the market got hot, and all of a sudden, everything he had was sold. For a while, we entertained continuing this practice with him as a partner, but our daughter ended up moving in, due to circumstances, and our agreement ran out. We are still neighbors and friends, and the he currently is getting ready to build 24 townhomes on 5A, in Meridian, near St. Luke's hospital and close to the freeway, but not too close. We'll be keeping an eye on those, and the guy is a good mentor, as he knows a lot about construction, the area, market, materials, and things in general. Lots of ideas, but nothing concrete shaking right now. :roll: I guess I shouldn't say that in So Cal. :lol:

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

I mentioned the Toy Tacoma doesn't hold a whole bunch, and I was complaining to Linda about 3 trips worth of "stuff" which would take us into May, at the rate of frequency, to and fro. I talked about towing the trailer, and Linda scowled at that thought, but added, :idea:"why not take the deisel?" I thought a few secs before replying, the light starting to brighten, "you mean, drive the Ford, without the trailer?" "why not, she replied." Hmmm. "let me do a little measuring and see how it looks," I said. After measuring, I had the happy thought that perhaps I could get all in one trip, but it would entail disassembling the top of a baker's rack, which upon closer inspection, is a bunch of screws..... :? well, I'll look at that closer and decide whether to do that or not; it's not a critical piece, and the main cabinet would be there for fit. After loading a couple of pieces, and remeasuring, it appears, at worst there will be a side table and the rack left, for next time. So, looks like we'll spend a bit more for fuel, than for regular, but beats pulling the trailer, and you wouldn't believe what they quote for a small U Haul one way. No way, Jose; so much for the $9.95 in town rate......whew! gotta look at buying the sucker before you pay out that much....more loading to do....in the meantime, got other pressing matters to tend to.....there's just no rest for us "retirees" :roll:

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Once again, in Boise, we met some So Cal folks, who had moved here recently from Mission Viejo, in Orange County. They sold a condo there, about 1700 sq' for about $550, and bought a 3400 Sq' home in a great neighborhood for $370K, which gave them cash left over, and they are looking for a couple of rental properties, to purchase. So far, they love the area, and the colder weather hasn't dampened their enthusiasm.
The gal said she was born and raised in So Cal, but always liked the mountains, so the climate was acceptable.
We've been absorbing the area by bits and pieces, and we continue to find what seem to be good opportunities.
For the most part, So Cal was good to us, and while unlike some, who seem anxious to leave, we are reluctant, but just couldn't justify current prices, for investment, in that market.
Last edited by FunRunner on Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

Any of you guys forward this topic to the Idaho Visitor Relocation Bureau? (I have no idea if there really is one) :lol:

If there is, they may not get better testimonials. :wink: :lol:
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

I didn't mean to make it sound like an advertisement, Glenn. :D As with everything, I try to give both sides of the picture.
One thing of interest on the trip, is that I found we are getting ripped on fuel in So Cal, averaging almost $3.00 a gal for deisel. I was pleasantly surprised when we fueled in Barstow; I think it was about $2.65. We never paid over $2.75 on the trip. The cheapest was in Wells, NV. at $2.55.
So, the difference in fuel and regular gas wasn't as much a gap as I had thought. Regular is running about $2.25 up here, and varied much more than fuel along the route.
We averaged over 15 mpg on the trip, in spite of the fact, I was in the pump, averaging close to 80 mph on the open stretches. That's nearly as good as the Toy V6 gets, going that speed.
One bad thing traveling during the winter, is the bad air you get from the trucks going in the opposite direction. The air, with the accumulation of debri, just eats the windshields, and really ticks me off, but nothing one can do on the two lane roads, such as Rte 93 thru NV.
We ended up leaving two sofa type tables and the top to the bakers rack in Whittier, and we were packed. We had another King bed delivered yesterday from RC Willeys, so 3 of the bedrooms are nearly complete, and my two Bros. suppose to come in tonight and Thursday, for a visit.
Did I mention the traffic around here sucks during much of the day, particularly peak hours? :( I'm not sure how they'll keep up with the growth, but the planning isn't adequate. See, I told you I'd give you the bad with the good. :wink: Oh, and rain predicted today, and looking out the window, it appears overcast; might see a bit of snow. :shock:
On the trip up, we hit a snow storm fairly early on after Ash Springs, and we were tucked in behind two semis, who were booking along, and it kept getting worse, and we were thinking we were in deep trouble, as usually the weather starts around Ely and gets worse till you get to Idaho Falls. Not this time; it cleared before Ely and remained ominous till into Idaho, but cleared and was nice into the evening. I guess you never know. :?

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

FunRunner wrote:I didn't mean to make it sound like an advertisement, Glenn. :D As with everything, I try to give both sides of the picture.
No problem here Roger! :D As usual, your posts are informative and interesting.

I'm glad that your move is going so well for you.... and Idaho. :wink: :lol:
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

We went skiing at Grand Targee with Dave (theboofooguy) and family last Sunday. On the way back, Dave decided to stop by St. A (Egin Lakes entrance) to check the sand conditions. He said the snow was gone and there was dry sand everywhere. We are going duning this Sunday (Break in trip). The dunes west of Egin Lakes officially open on April 1st. Can't Wait :D :D :D

I need to get some Race Gas today. Dave mentioned a place in town that has a good price on VP-111. Also, I need to fix a pin hole leak in one of my smoothees. I don't like plugs so I was thinking of getting a syringe and filling it with rubber cement and injecting it into the pin hole with the hole facing down so the cement will accumalate inside over the hole. Has anyone tried this?
Scott

Idaho Falls

dunebunny65
1st Gear Member

Post by dunebunny65 »

We have 12 acres in Idaho...St. Maries (south of Ceour d'alene) that we just bought 2 years ago. It borders a state park. Lot's of evergreen trees, not alot of snow.

We are going to move there in about 10 years. We're really hating California. It will be about a days drive to St. Anthony but since we LOVE St. Anthony it's not a problem for us.

Beautiful country up in Northern Idaho but like it was mentioned, jobs don't pay as much. What my husband makes here in California (approx $25/hr as an auto mechanic/tranny rebuilder) he will only make maybe $15 or less in Idaho.

People are building and buying up property in the Northern Idaho area so the prices are going up. Can't find 12 acres in the area we bought for what we paid...ain't it like that in California...people start buying and pretty soon you can't afford it anymore.

We are waiting for our house to go up more in price before we sell and move. We were thinking maybe Arizona too but because we love our property we can't have both. Who knows...things change.

I'm hoping to win the lottery..HA! Yeah right. :lol:
Fremont, CA
2000 Honda 300ex
2001 Honda 400ex w/440 big bore kit
2006 Tech 3, LS1 mid-engine rail
2001 Wildwood Sport 38 ft 5th wheel

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Where I'm at in Idaho, it doesn't look like an over abundance of Auto Repair Shops. A good 4 WD shop should be able to make a real good living.
My brother lives in Spokane, and use to live in Coure d' Alene, so I know a little about the area, and he knows a lot more; it's very pretty up there.
We got into Boise last night, and today there is some excitement with the Boise River doing some flooding around Eagle, and a construction worker did some damage to a levee, or dike of some sort, and the water has come across from the Two River development into the Cottonwood sub-division, which is one over from Banbury, where we are. There's a lot of fire personnel on the scene and roads blocked, and a lot of people worried; they say it is subsiding, so that is good news, but with warm weather melting snow, and rain predicted for the weekend, I don't know how much that will impact the situation. There is water across part of the 11th and 12th fairways at the golf course. One of the neighbors in Cottonwood, who moved here about a year ago from CA, just moved into their new home and the landscaping was just finished. Water is up to his house and inside the garage; they have been evacuated, as were some others in Cottonwood. There was some talk of evacuating all of Banbury, which would include us......you never know.....earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, terrorists, and floods....ask the people from New Orleans about that.

dunebunny65
1st Gear Member

Post by dunebunny65 »

Hope all will be o.k. on your side and you don't have to resort to evacuation status! Let us know how it goes! The rain is supposed to settle down here in the Bay Area in a few days but one more down pour and I think more houses on the hills will suffer.

We'll send good thoughts your way!

As for jobs and any move to Idaho...Yeah...We're thinking if we make the move he'll have to commute to CDA or Spokane or think of some other profession. He's an ASE master mechanic (if that means anything out that way) but he is an ace at transmission rebuilding (25 years), he built his entire sandrail (except the frame but he did modify some of it for the LS1), he also built his '40 Chevy Coupe streetrod from the ground up and is in the process of customizing my '56 Mercury M100 panel so I can drive it (I'm 4'7").

But really...he has too many projects! Just when I got past the sandrail widow status another project pops up! :lol: But it's in his blood...what can ya do! Gotta love'm for it! :wink:

He's pretty industrious though so maybe he can find "something" to do with his profession. I checked the Idaho job site and see there is alot of work as a machinery mechanic (farm equipment, etc.).

We'll see...so much can change in 10 years..I suppose we have to just worry about it when we cross that bridge. But I would sure love to be in Idaho right now. I don't even like taking the freeway home after work...there's so many jerks out there. Yesterday I thought I was going to get rear ended 4 times in my 20 minute commute! People here think they are industructible or something and they can care less who they cut off. :evil: Well..don't get me started! O.K. off my soap box.
Fremont, CA
2000 Honda 300ex
2001 Honda 400ex w/440 big bore kit
2006 Tech 3, LS1 mid-engine rail
2001 Wildwood Sport 38 ft 5th wheel

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

As far as the flooding goes, all looks pretty normal today; they diverted the water, by dredging out a new path for it to take; hopefully that will end any significant threat. We walked over to where the worst of the flooding was in Cottonwood, and it shows little the worse today, but the one house, that a guy from CA had just moved into, had some problems they were dealing with today. There was a pretty good crowd at the golf course today; weather not as neat as yesterday and been a mixed bag today; had a short thunder storm for about 1/2 hr. just getting over with now, or so it seems. That happens a lot during the Spring; short littles rain bursts and then sunny again; see what Steve Brooks had to say about St. Anthony and abrupt weather conditions.
He's pretty industrious though so maybe he can find "something" to do with his profession. I checked the Idaho job site and see there is alot of work as a machinery mechanic (farm equipment, etc.).
I would recommend investigating the area further and considering opening my own business. Around here, there are not a lot of shops, and I don't know what they pay the mechanics, but the labor rates at the shops aren't cheap.
As I said before, my brother is in Spokane and was in the banking business in that area for years; he might be able to help with a little research. St Maries is a bit South, but if I remember correctly, it seems he worked in Moscow for awhile.
When we left Whittier, deisel on the corner was $3.199. We opted to wait till Barstow to fill up; saved about .50 cents a gal. We averaged about $2.73 a gal along the route and can get it at Fred Myers for $2.63 a gal. Regular gas seems to be averaging about $2.32 a gal, probably about 30cents a gal less than So Cal on avg.

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

You say he is an ace at rebuilding trannys. I wish he lived here. I spun the teeth off of 3rd gear at St. Anthony the weekend before last. It's an 002 tranny and I was going to try and fix it myself since I can't find any VW tranny shops around here but I don't have all the special tools do it right (shift fork jigs, etc). I ended-up buying a new 091 tranny from Rancho in SoCal and had them ship it here. I received it last monday but they didn't include the throwout bearing which is different then the one on my 002 so I had to order that from SoCal (another week delay). I can't even find any VW shops here in Idaho Falls (VW Dealers don't count). It makes it hard to be a sandrailer here when you have to mail order every little part. I'm still thinking about opening a VW/Sandrail shop here. At least I wouldn't have any competition.
Scott

Idaho Falls

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Scott, as I've mentioned before, if you are serious about opening a shop, figure out what you want it to be, and how you want to go about running the business;
We have contacts and knowledge in the parts business; it also takes research and a plan that will hopefully be successful.

jm102397

Post by jm102397 »

Scott-
There is a guy who sells VW parts out of Nampa (I know it's still not close). I'll get the info off the Samba for you and post it.
Julie Monroe

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

jm102397 wrote:Scott-
There is a guy who sells VW parts out of Nampa (I know it's still not close). I'll get the info off the Samba for you and post it.
We drove over to Nampa yesterday with our realtor to look at a house nest door to his sister. People from CA had purchased it in Nov, moved in, and back out, within 70 days. They had enough of the cold, I guess; headed back to CA. Could that be a record for buying a house, moving in, deciding they made a mistake, and moving out? :shock:
The house was almost 2000' with 2 levels. It had been reduced to $205K.
It didn't seem like a bad deal, but no screamer, in our estimatiion.

snewbank
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by snewbank »

FunRunner wrote:Scott, as I've mentioned before, if you are serious about opening a shop, figure out what you want it to be, and how you want to go about running the business;
We have contacts and knowledge in the parts business; it also takes research and a plan that will hopefully be successful.
Thanks, I'm still kicking around the idea but I get the feeling I'll have to get a regular job and build up some cash before I can seriously consider starting my own business. Also, as Dave Lopez recently pointed out to me, you don't see many old VWs around here. Maybe it's the harsh weather but then maybe it's the lack of local parts. I have to get to know the area and people's mentality a little better before I can be confident that a VW/Sandrail parts place will do well here.

BTW - I have only seen about 2-3 locally owned sandrails at Saint A so far. Most people here seem to be into Dirtbikes or Quads. Again though, maybe it's a lack of parts to keep a sandrail running.
Yes, I've heard of that place. However, Nampa is 300 miles east of Idaho Falls. 600 miles round trip is a little too far to make it worth any trip. :shock:

Thanks anyways
Scott

Idaho Falls

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar »

snewbank wrote: Most people here seem to be into Dirtbikes or Quads. Again though, maybe it's a lack of parts to keep a sandrail running.
Then again, it could be the higher coin needed to purchase and maintain one.

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Kevlar wrote:
snewbank wrote: Most people here seem to be into Dirtbikes or Quads. Again though, maybe it's a lack of parts to keep a sandrail running.
Then again, it could be the higher coin needed to purchase and maintain one.
Every area is different and offers unique opportunities or lack thereof; what is prominent in CA or AZ will likely not be so in Idaho; but that doesn't mean there isn't opportunity along similar lines; as far as VW bus, in and of itself, I think David is correct there; even in CA, you're not seeing the VW's as before. Guys who are doing well in the mail order parts bus, are selling over a wide range, and pulling from all states, plus likely some out of the U S. A person would have to be inventive and tailor a business to what the locale offers and needs. That is one of the considerations when moving to an area that is out of the mainstream. The hubs are another story, but even there, you won't find the same explosiveness off-road wise/high dollar as we see in CA and AZ.

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar »

My bro has owned a VW restoration business in So Cal for the past 25 years specializing in the beetle. He just told me last week it is getting to the point where he cant find old bugs anymore, even in So Cal where they are most popular.

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS »

snewbank wrote:
FunRunner wrote:
Yes, I've heard of that place. However, Nampa is 300 miles east of Idaho Falls. 600 miles round trip is a little too far to make it worth any trip. :shock:
Now THAT is one thing I would miss about living in the BIG CITY... :D
Driving forever to get a part when it only took 20 minutes before... :wink:

Going to St. Anthony's in August, hope to hook up with a few of you folks.
:P
Nothing is achieved without effort --- the fundamental force that brings success...:)

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???
Proud 2005 JRS Award recipient :P

jm102397

Post by jm102397 »

One of the bad that comes with the good-to us the benefits definitely outweigh the drawbacks.

Had to replace the front springs in the Suburban and warranty out the shocks on it this last week-only place to warranty the shocks was in SLC, a little over 100 mile round trip. Closest place that even carries the Empi line is on the north side of Provo-about 30 minutes away. Can't even tell you all the choices we had within 5 minutes of our old house for parts for the rails, trucks and MH's...at least the International dealer is close here when we need things for the coach :) And there is a Checker in town for the basics also, it's just the more specialized VW or suspension stuff that we need to drive for :(

Still wouldn't move back though ;)
Julie Monroe

desertsteve
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by desertsteve »

So where is everybody now ??????.. Nov. 5th 05 was the last post...
Im thinking about going to SA this summer... Any tips ?????.

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy »

We're here.....Our season just started, so most of the time we're in the dunes...Scott and I are making it out 'bout twice a week...Weather has warmed up, and we get afternoon winds that make every day a new ride with virgin dunes.... Snow and rain had left them fairly packed so now with the warmer temps, dunes are soft and smooth. It's a long haul to get here, but I'm sure you wouldn't be disapointed. I thought the tallest, steepest dunes I'd ever seen were in Dumont....They're nothing compared to some of the stuff here... If you decide to come up let us know...If you need more info, e-mail me directly... :D

desertsteve
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by desertsteve »

Oop's didnt see the 2nd page,,, My bad. Thanks Boofooguy !!. Im trying to get my friends to go this summer sometime !!!. That is a Looong drive !.

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS »

desertsteve wrote:Oop's didnt see the 2nd page,,, My bad. Thanks Boofooguy !!. Im trying to get my friends to go this summer sometime !!!. That is a Looong drive !.
It really isn't that bad. It is about the same as going to the Oregon Dunes, but that has even more MOUNTAINs to climb... :lol:
I've been to Oregon twice now, not planning to go again... St. Anthony's is SO MUCH better... 8)
Nothing is achieved without effort --- the fundamental force that brings success...:)

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???
Proud 2005 JRS Award recipient :P

krazytoy
1st Gear Member

Post by krazytoy »

Well I moved up here from AZ about two years ago. I make more money here than I did in AZ, I love it here! I am 42 miles from my house to St A. and we get out every chance we get. Even after work for a quick ride. I know what you mean about not being able to get parts up here, it is a PITA. As for a good fab shop try CBI off-road fab on Woodruff ave. nice guys and they know a little about sand cars. Unfortunatly the season is about to up here (although it is 70+ today) but I still make a trip down to Glamis once a year for the off season fun. It seems to me that the area around here is really growing and there are numerous oppertunities that are yet to be tapped. All I can say is I love it here and I am NEVER going back. If anyone is ever in the area give me a holla and I would love to show you around. Krazytoy@gmail.com. Oh yeah I think the people up here are to busy having outdoor fun, that is why the internet traffic is slow. Oh yeah, snowmobileing is the bomb! There is always something to do if you look hard enough!

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy »

Krazytoy, Where you at and who have you been duning with? Are you posting on Duneratt? Are you a member of SAnDR? We've put together a nice little network here mixed with transplants and locals. I'm in Rigby, and go out usually twice a week. Gimme a yell when you get a chance... :wink:

Return to “St. Anthony Dunes”