Living in St. Anthony? Idaho in General?

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck »

Welcome to the board krazytoy. :D

If you happen to see snewbank up there tell him to stop by here and say Hey. :wink:
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

krazytoy
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by krazytoy »

Thanks for the welcome guys! :B
Boofoo I do post on DuneRatt as well as Planet4x4.net.
I have the bis azz rockcrawler/buggy that you may have seen out at St. A's it is not hard to miss and seems to draw quite a bit of attention. I am a member of the Snake River offroaders as well, but have not heard of the other group you had mentioned? I am always game to help out any way I can to help keep our dunes open. You will have to let me know when you guys meet and maybe I can make it to a meeting. I am in IF. I think you may know Jared he is a good friend of mine, used to ride a predator, but sold it for a rail. I love the sand dunes and try to get up there as often as I can. We are making our last camping trip up there on October 27-29. We will be camping at the oasis so swing buy and say hi! Hopefully it is not snowing buy then. :shock:
Once again thanks for the welcome, and if anyone ever needs any help recovering anything for the sand let me know. Big 4x4 makes it easy to get stuff out, and always gives me a good excuse to get up there. Not that I really need one. My number is 208-243-0567. I offered to tow around something to smooth out the whoops at the hills for the hill climbers, but haven't heard anything else?? Let me know, I am always willing to help!
I have yet to meet snewbank, but if I do I'll give him a shot for everyone. From the pictures he posted he can't live to far from me...

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy »

Ok, I have seen your rig.. And yes I do know Jared.. He hangs with Brian, and I ride quite a bit with Brian and Scott (Newbanks). Scott is up in the Hills of IF..Rimrock Estates. SAnDR is a new group...St. Anthony's Dune Riders. We promote responsible use of public lands, in this case the dunes. Denton (Duneratt) has been nice enough to be part of our group, and helps us through http://www.duneratt.com. We will be having an end of the season meeting for SAnDR in the next couple of weeks. You can get all the info for joining off duneratt. I'll let you know when.. Good to see another transplant enjoying the beauty of Eastern Idaho. I'm never going back, and wonder why I didn't do this 10 years ago.. :?
Thanks, David...

FunRunner
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by FunRunner »

Krazytoy, I read your post on DuneRatt and good to see you here, as well. I plan to join up with SAnDR, though I am on the SW part of Idaho, near Boise. I hope to meet you guys soon. I already know David as a long time customer of ours at FunRunner, but haven't seen him in years; will be good to make that re0acquaintance. 8)

koliver
1st Gear Member

Post by koliver »

Well, I just thought I would pop in and say hi! As the Mrs. snewbanks, I can vouch for him and Boofoo Guy heading out to the dunes quite regularly! Sadly, the season is winding down! But, I can't blame them. Scott and I still love it here and are approaching our One Year Anniversay of moving here! Yeah! We have both enjoyed getting more involved in the "great outdoors" and have bought more toys! I feel bad for Swervy since it sits in the trailer more often than not... sort of got traded in for a quad! Scott has definitely expanded his horizons when it comes to sand and dirt, that is for sure!

For all of our fellow Glamis riders, please feel free to give us a holler when you are headed this way next season! Would love to hook up and ride with you, show you the sights, and even help with storage if you want to head to Yellowstone or Jackson. :D I know BooFoo is a little closer (Rigby) but you can't beat our view, and besides, the neighbors won't notice another trailer/hauler on our property... I think we are up to 4 now... :wink:

curlie
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by curlie »

OMG! 19 degrees up there today! Brrrrr

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy »

When I left for work yesterday morning, it was 3. :shock: We had a high of 22. :? Honestly though, I remember nights in California that were 30 degrees and it seemed colder. I think it's the humidity. Still would NEVER go back. :D

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

We left Boise Wed, a little after 5:00 AM. My brother, Patrick was visiting us, and was going to CA from our place, so we made plans and rode down with him. It was 15 deg when we left. :shock: The roads were in good shape and the trip went well; can't always say that; we've encountered every imaginable weather condition, except for full on blizzard :lol: Not so, this trip. We stopped in Barstow to eat; I'm not sure what the temp was, but it was cold; seemingly every bit as much so as Boise. :? Of course, back here in So Cal, the weather has been too nice 8) good ol sunny So Cal.....you gotta love the weather....generally anyway; but you know what they say; when it rains in So Cal, it pours! :P Hey, what's up with diesel prices? :shock: The cheapest price we've seen, is $2.69 gal, and yesterday, we saw over $3.00 at an Arco, that is usually the cheapest. :? Will we see less pushers on the road at these prices? me thinks the F250 is not going to see a lot of usage :wink:

andy5925
1st Gear Member

Re: Living in St. Anthony? Idaho in General?

Post by andy5925 »

You can look at some great Idaho real estate listings at http://www.neighborcity.com/ID

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Hey, what's happened to all the chatter? economy got everybody down? wouldn't be surprising, though it doesn't do any good to get down, that is in attitude. Now, if we get down to being up, then that's a good thing. Where's theboofooguy and other regulars? just wondering :?

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar »

Whats up Funrunner? The economy is most likely the culprit. We are talking about a trip up that way next summer though. I sure am missing the giant bowls up there.

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Hey Kev, from your location, would you travel up 99 to 80? I'm going to have to try to get over there next summer. We've been really busy here the last year 1/2. I think it's about 5 hrs or a little more from here.....it would be great to see you and some of the others. I missed an opportunity this year when Mike came up and invited us to join them.

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy »

We're still here and doing our thing. The dunes are uncharacteristically soft this year. The winds blew in akward directions, making for alot more areas with sharp, soft, blow over. Unlike Dumont, there are still rolls at the top, but transitioning from one dune to another on the quads sometimes want to spit you over the bars. It's obvious the economy has hit everyone hard as the numbers have been way down. That, however is perfect for the locals as the idiots are staying home. Usually Fall is my favorite time to dune, and we had a great Fall season last year. This year however, it seems to have moved from Summer directly to early Winter, and temperatures are quite a bit cooler now then they were last year at this time. Did you ever sell the car? If not, you really need to take some time and make it out next year. Say Hi to Linda...

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

David, good to hear your voice, so to speak. I still have the car. It hasn't seen the dunes since 2005, sorry to say. It resides in my trailer in Meridian and gets started and run only occassionally, on the property. Haven't had a whold lot going on to stoke the fires and the most notable item was RS 4 Mike, inviting us to join him and friends on their recent trip to SA, which was really a lift and did enthuse me. When we had the shop, there were people in and out that fired me up to get out. I kind of miss all that and one gets involved in new circumstances, and very little of that has been with off roaders. We see mostly two wheelers and quads set up for back country, rather than what we had in CA; not a bad thing, just somewhat out of my element; but I'm not complaining. As I alluded to, you adapt to the new surroundings and elements....maybe I'll get real adventurous and make it over that way. As you said, the summer closed rather quickly, and I imagine you experienced that more than we did. Glad to hear you're still in the hunt and keeping the tops of the dunes in good shape.

PMS Dune Rentals
1st Gear Member

Post by PMS Dune Rentals »

Has anyone heard from Snewbank? It's been over 4 years since he moved out here to Idaho. There are some good threads on here keeping us all updated of how things were going. Now it's as if he's disappeared...

Other than that, anyone else excited the dunes are opening up in just over a week?! May still run into a little snow on the North sides, but still worth getting out there again.
PMS Dune Rentals
St. Anthony Sand Dunes
208-390-3223
http://www.pmspolaris.com/rentals

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy »

When Scott first moved here, he took a year off and didn't work. He's since gone back to work, and has also discovered some of the other things to do in Idaho. He and his wife spend a lot of time on two wheelers, so he hasn't been out to the dunes. I haven't spoken with him in about a year. I miss riding with him..

PMS Dune Rentals
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the heads up Boofoo. So, I take it he never set up the sandrail shop or parts shop that he talked about. Good to know he stuck it out long enough to see what more Idaho has to offer. Not sure why anyone would want to ride anything other than sand though! :D
PMS Dune Rentals
St. Anthony Sand Dunes
208-390-3223

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy »

Nope. He works in I.F. for as a Contractor to the Site. It's tough out there (economy) as I'm sure you know. Had he started the business, I'm sure he'd be having a tough time keeping it afloat. I'll be lookin for ya.. 8)

PWR MAD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by PWR MAD »

Any updates to share? We're heading to SA in June, might look for property while we're there [-o<

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy »

New....Hmm. The Camp ground was expanded 2 years ago. It offers a few more spots, and upgraded the existing spots. Since the turn of the economy, I haven't seen the campground completely full, even on a Holiday weekend. They paved half of the day use parking area, and repaved the main road in. There now is a day use charge of $5.00, or a season pass can be purchased for $60.00. I stopped going out about two years ago.. Just wasn't feelin' it. The economy hit most of my duning buddies pretty hard, and it just turned into more work than it was worth. There always seemed to be something better to do. After 40 years of duning, it just isn't what it used to be. The big V-8 cars, and the jackasses that drive them, aren't the kind I like to run with. I sold off all my quads, and I'm in the process of piecing out my rail. Property values here have fallin a bit, but nothing like what I hear happened in Cali. Jobs are scarce, and the work available doesn't pay very well. I've been here almost 7 years and still love it. No crowds, no traffic, and beautiful landscapes, all add up to an extremely serene life. No one here cares what you make, what you drive, or how big your wife's boobs are. I've visited Cali 3 times in those 7 years, and hate it more every time I have to go back. Don't know if that's what you were looking for. Good luck..

PWR MAD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by PWR MAD »

Sorry to hear you've gotten out of duning, but I do understand it when you're the only one going. We're looking out of Cali for all the reasons you just mentioned and would love to be out in a more "rural" landscape for sure. We're thinking something that could either be built on, or rented until we're ready to make the jump. Thanks for the update, much appreciated =D>

Power Slacker
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Power Slacker »

PWR MAD wrote:Sorry to hear you've gotten out of duning, but I do understand it when you're the only one going. We're looking out of Cali for all the reasons you just mentioned and would love to be out in a more "rural" landscape for sure. We're thinking something that could either be built on, or rented until we're ready to make the jump. Thanks for the update, much appreciated =D>
Come to Tucson, be my neighbor.

PWR MAD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by PWR MAD »

Not a bad idea, I've got several friends who live there 8)

Just looking for a more seasonal place, the wife hates the heat :|

Power Slacker
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Power Slacker »

I hate the heat too. Just looking for someone else to share my misery with.

PWR MAD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by PWR MAD »

LOL, we live in the East County of San Diego, so it really isn't that much different. Probably why she want's to move to a higher elevation :wink:

PMS Dune Rentals
1st Gear Member

PWR MAD,

I know a realtor based in Idaho Falls who is really thorough that could give you a lot of direction and ideas of what to expect in the area. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get you her contact information.
PMS Dune Rentals
St. Anthony Sand Dunes
208-390-3223

PWR MAD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by PWR MAD »

Yes please, worth at least seeing what's out there =D>

PMS Dune Rentals
1st Gear Member

Sheri Peery cell 208-201-0021. Tell her that her neighbor Nate referred you. Good luck!
PMS Dune Rentals
St. Anthony Sand Dunes
208-390-3223

PWR MAD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by PWR MAD »

Will do, thanks =D>

Power Slacker
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Power Slacker »

If you move there I may have to rethink my employment options in Boise......

PWR MAD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by PWR MAD »

It could happen, but not for quite awhile [-o<

Return to “St. Anthony Dunes”