finnaly gonna go

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

jrs_one
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

finnaly gonna go

Post by jrs_one » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:28 pm

so a group of us are planning on going we thought in march but are not sure if any of the campgrounds are open yet, if theres still snow or even where to stay?????? any help or info would really be super

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Woodglue » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:30 pm

Welcome to the board jrs_one! :wink:
Quite a few folks from here hit S.A. frequently, I know our RichB, just returned from there.
Someone will chime in and answer your questions shortly, I promise :!:
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:58 pm

I wouldn't bother making the drive up until at least the middle of April. From Nov. 1st through April 1st, half (the better half) of the dunes are closed for Elk migration. Also, it'll still be plenty cold, and alot of the dune may still have snow on them. The BLM campground usually opens about the middle of May. Oasis, and Sandhills usually open the middle of April, but I'd check ahead of time. Freezing night temps can carry into late April, early May, and can be a campground nightmare if water starts freezing in holding tanks etc. Late April, early May is ideal dune weather. However, keep in mind that Springs here are the windiest time of year, and can blow for days straight. The ultimate time up here is right about now. From mid September to mid October, the weather is killer, the dunes are smooth as silk, and traffic is at a minimum...Ahhh, all this talk has got me thinking I may need to go tomorrow.. Good luck... :lol:

jrs_one
1st Gear Member

Post by jrs_one » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:47 pm

thanks boofoo, I'd load up and go now it sounds like the it's the time to go, but i'm still waiting on getting the ktm 525 quad, but hey what camp grounds are the best if ya know?

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:35 pm

Got back a little while ago....Dunes are SWEET right now. OK, here are your choices. Sand Hills Resort is far and away, the nicest place to stay. Full hookups, grass, trees, an on site store, reservations, the whole enchilada. But.....you know there's ALWAYS a catch, it is literally on one end of the dunes, while the nicest riding is on the other end. End to end, the dune are about 15 miles long. On a quad, riding from Sand Hills to Choke Cherry, takes about a 1/2 hour, to 40 minutes if you bee line straight there. Consider the fuel usage. Next is Desert Oasis..Full hook ups, reservations, but no grass. A dusty road in, and a dusty road to the dunes. The "new" owners, I've been told, leave alot to be desired. Just this side of a Nazi camp.. Oasis is almost in the middle of the dunes location wise, and would take about 20 to 25 minutes to get to the good stuff. Next is the BLM campground. Electricity only. On site water, and dump station, but no full hook ups, and NO reservations. First come first served. Closest to the good stuff, about a 15 minute ride. There is one area for dry camping, off of Red Road. But it is right next to Sand Hills, so you're still dealing with the logistics issue. Most of the rail guys stay at Sand Hills and make the drive to and from the big stuff. I've heard quad guys actually trailering to the day use area (right next to the BLM campground) and staging there, or leaving fuel there ditched so they can catch it on their way back. I hope this helps.. :? For more info on St. Anthony's, try this site... http://www.duneratt.com
Last edited by theboofooguy on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:29 pm

:shock: Wow!

Now how's that for service jrs_one!?

Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:28 pm
jrs_one asks about snow and campgrounds.

Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:35 pm
Within 25 hours, a complete, comprehensive, personal-inspection is reported back to the board.

theboofooguy, you are certainly an asset to this S.A. Forum!!!

=D> =D> =D> =D>
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

jrs_one
1st Gear Member

Post by jrs_one » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:00 pm

thats what i thought to, i'm glad i found this site it been VERRY helpful and i now where i'm coming for all my info boofoo you rule thanks buddy :D :D

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:19 am

No Problem.. :D

tmm2good
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by tmm2good » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:44 am

theboofooguy wrote: Next is Desert Oasis..Full hook ups, reservations, but no grass. A dusty road in, and a dusty road to the dunes. The "new" owners, I've been told, leave alot to be desired. Just this side of a Nazi camp.. Oasis is almost in the middle of the dunes location wise, and would take about 20 to 25 minutes to get to the good stuff.
I would have to respectfully disagree with this statement. Desert Oasis owners are very nice, but they do not put up with anyone speeding through the camp area. I found it to be a very pleasant place to stay at 1.5 months ago.

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:25 am

I'm glad you had a nice stay. I'm local, and probably spend 8-10 days a month, out in the dunes. I meet alot of people from different states, and they always talk about their accomodations. 4 out of 5 who stay at Oasis, say they did because of it's proximity to the dunes. 3 of those 4 say they will NEVER stay there again because of the owners. I own NO stock in Sand Hills or the BLM, and have NO reason to push one campground over the other. It's bad enough of an issue, that it got it's own thread on http://www.duneratt.com. One guest was asked by the owner to quiet his children because they were outside playing tag, during the day. This isn't 1000 trails. People come to enjoy power sports. A certain amount of noise comes with it. Another told me he was asked to move his coach after being there for 3 days because his slideout was 6 inches outside of his spot..I can go on ALL day.. BTW...most of the bonehead crowd....you know, the Glamis Ravers, don't make the drive up here. It's almost always families on vacation. So I don't buy the "they were too rowdy" excuse.

jrs_one
1st Gear Member

?????///great?????

Post by jrs_one » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:01 pm

so were thinking oasis cuase of it's location there could be 15 to 20 of us ranging from 18-28 + some younger and some older, were not a wild group for say but do like to have and i don't wanna have problems and after checking out dunneratt i'm torn. I wanna make reservations as were coming from portland oregon, so that rules out the blm. is there any where else mabey not even at the dunes where you can reserve spots that is close by? of course i'd rather stay at the dunes so i'm gonna push for sh but just trying to gather as much info as possable :?:

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:00 pm

When you say 15 - 20 people, how many rigs are you talking, and what type. Can you do a little off road camping? Meaning, can you dry camp, and get your rigs down a washboard sand/dirt road? I know a little "local" spot. Other than that, I'd say go to Oasis, and see for yourself if it's as bad as they say. :?

RichB
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by RichB » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:14 pm

My .02 on Desert Oasis (was there last month).

- The lady that owns the place (with her husband) is let's just say "challenged" by her duties. She couldn't make my reservations for a couple of weeks (back last winter) because she couldn't figure out the credit machine. Didn't respond to emails in a timely fashion. Called and left an early afternoon voice mail while up at Yellowstone, I needed some info for the next day's trip to her place. She didn't return my call until mid-morning the next day which was of no use by then. Was in the store trying to buy a couple of diet Coors and she couldn't figure out how to run the cash register, took 10 minutes (and I was thirsty!).

- The RV spots in the old (or "main") area are horrendous. Tight tight tight and poorly designed IMO. My non-slideout tag-toybox was DEEP against a tree that separated each spot. You "share" an offset concrete pad with your neighbor....odd. You can't put anything on that concrete pad i.e. no gas cans, tool boxes, quads, bikes, buggies, etc. My spot wasn't close to being level (had to break out the 2x4s).

- Didn't deal face-to-face with the husband half of the ownership couple but I did see him lower the boom on some folks for driving on the concrete. He kept the area watered down so dust wasn't really an issue. I never saw him crack down on folks that were going way over the 5mph on the access road, maybe he was and I just didn't see it. I have zero problem with a hardcore approach to enforcing the rules as long as the rules are known and enforced evenly. **** shame that people can't respect each other to be considerate but many aren't and therefore you have hardcore management in places that are trying to maintain their property.

- It's a little pricey for the condition of the place.

- Reservation policy is harsh. Once you check in, that's it....no refund possible after that.

- I would stay there again however, I would ask for a spot in the new / 50 amp area just to have more room.

Word out on the street from a lot of long time SA dune campers is that they'd not stay at Oasis because it was a "free for all" i.e. all night partying etc. Seems like these new owners heard that complaint and are trying to deal with it.

My take on Sand Hills. I didn't stay there but did ride down and through the place one day. LONG way from the good dunes, I doubt I'd stay there if nothing else just for that reason. It appeared to me that trailers were very much sandwiched in next to each other / backed up under the trees. I heard loud thumping music over my bike's motor while there so I don't know if that's normally permitted or not.

Personally, I liked the looks of the BLM camp area, it's proximity to the big dunes, and the price to stay there. The week in Aug we were at SA the BLM camp was less than 1/3 full (so was Oasis for that matter).
ASA Member

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:30 am

We too spent a week at the Oasis Camp ground in the middle of August . The current owners are learning the fastrack of campground ownership. I found them to be decent people. The full hookup sites are a bit tight, but they bought them that way. They are working to open new / better camp sites but are having trouble with the county over conditions set forth in the permits to expand. Something money can fix, but like most of us, they don't have that kind of tree in the back yard. I don't get the impression they enjoy being Sheriff of the Oasis but that is part of ownership. It could be someone complained about someone else and their stuck in the middle. They would be more than willing to deputize anyone for a week if you are intrested.

Septemeber would be a great time to go but be ready for any kind of weather, cold weather. The crowds are gone and the sand is smooth, that sounds like fun. :D
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

NE14SAND
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by NE14SAND » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:31 pm

LOVED sand hills!!!! i must say it was TIGHT. we were told 60' was NO prob. got there and the 35' moho took the WHOLE spot, had to put trailer elsewhere. hauled fuel for the 2 stroke, no prob there. the LONG run to the big stuff wasnt a bother at all to me!!! after all i took fam almost 1000 miles to DUNE, so duneing to the big stuff wasnt a bother. trees were GREAT being we were there at end of july / beging of aug. in a perfect world there would pe a perfect place with huge spots and full hookups right next to the big stuff, untill than sand hills was nice and will have to do.
if the green cones are out all is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jrs_one
1st Gear Member

Post by jrs_one » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:28 pm

thanks to all the info is verry helpful sounds like you just gotta behave but thats fine no prob with rules as long as you know them think were gonna go with oasis just for the dunes but we'll se \:D/

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:30 am

It sounds good jrs_one! When is your trip scheduled? Pardon my question if you've already posted it [I didn't see it above]. Just wondering, as we'll need to keep an eye out for your post-trip Dune-Report. :wink:
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

jrs_one
1st Gear Member

Post by jrs_one » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:52 am

going in may april if oasis is open, if they ever get back to me I'll know for sure. I sent them an email off there site a week+ ago but no news, I hope this isn't signs of whats to come :twisted:

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:53 am

Keep me in the loop on your plans, and I can take a drive and let you know what conditions are like. Shoot for late April...better chance of better weather. :D

Greg Hall
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Greg Hall » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Sorry to dig upan old thread but in the process of working out details of a summer run to SA

July '07 we made a trip to Sand Mountain, Coral Pink and of course Saint Anthony to scope things out. At SA we stopped at each camp area and walked and talked with people just to get an idea of where we would look to camp in '08

We didn't have our toys with us so all we could do was look (and drool) and get a little feel for where we would be comfortable.

We will look to camp at the BLM camp as it looked to be the best access to the dunes, more space to get the MH and trailer parked, had the feel of being friendlier ETC...

Now one final note....never drive that far just to LOOK at those dunes! We didn't take our toys as I was recovering from a major shoulder sugery, my wife had ruptured her achilles tendon a couple of weeks prior and we were just a mess!!!
While we were parked in the day use area at the BLM campground I noticed an empty open trailer next to us....a little while later a group rode in with five quads that I found were rentals.....Hmmm....watched and sure enough the guy running the rentals showed up to take care of the returned quads. I went over to ask if they would be available and found that 3/5 were being rented to another family but the two brand spankin new LTZ450 Suzuki quads were available!!

My son at the bottom of Choke Cherry.

My shoulder really wasn't ready but there was no way that I could pass up a couple hours to really see the dunes....that made my whole trip, the smile and the goose bumps lasted the rest of the trip!
Greg Hall
KG6IAT
http://www.hallsengine.com
Visiting and helping to protect the dunes since 1962

http://www.RideOcotilloWells.com

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
'06 KDX 200..my son's bike
KX 100 My 11 year old son's
KFX 400 also my son's bike
LT 500..all mine

old flatty
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by old flatty » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:00 pm

Hey Greg
Look up the Everingtons ( Jerry and Cris) while you're there
they live in Rigby
good chance we'll be visitng with them for 2 weeks in late July or early August....but I can't get my Jeep up there :cry:
real Jeeps have flatfenders

Dune Excursions
1st Gear Member

Post by Dune Excursions » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:14 pm

Hey Greg I noticed the picture those machines where provided by Dune Excursions I'm glad you had a great time...... Carl

Greg Hall

Post by Greg Hall » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:48 pm

Dune Excursions wrote:Hey Greg I noticed the picture those machines where provided by Dune Excursions I'm glad you had a great time...... Carl
Carl,
We had a fantastic time! The bikes were perfect and I could not have asked better service.
We didn't have reservations, we just happend to be parked next to your trailer drooling over the dunes and noticed five quads coming to park behind your trailer. They were done for the day so I came out and asked if they were available to rent....three of the five were already reserved for the afternoon but the two 450's were available....perfect! Done deal!

My 11 year old and I had a blast...it really made our trip!

We are planning our trip this summer and will probably bring our own toys but I am also thinking we might not tow the trailer and rent from you for a couple of days. Although three bikes for two or three days might get a little costly and we probably will be there more than three days!
Greg Hall
KG6IAT

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
LT 500..all mine

Greg Hall

Post by Greg Hall » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:09 pm

old flatty wrote:Hey Greg
Look up the Everingtons ( Jerry and Cris) while you're there
they live in Rigby
good chance we'll be visitng with them for 2 weeks in late July or early August....but I can't get my Jeep up there :cry:
Really! I didn't know they were up in that area. I would really like to get dad to go but I don't think he will make it. This year I don't think I will be taking the Jeep, just quads but you never know! (hmm...maybe take the Jeep and rent quads from Dune Excursions)
Greg Hall
KG6IAT

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
LT 500..all mine

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:11 pm

Greg, did you say you were going to camp in the BLM area? I'm wondering how crowded that gets and if you are running the risk of coming up empty handed after traveling all the way out there. I'm trying to plan a summer trip now...Oregon possibly, but SA is not out of the question.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Greg Hall

Post by Greg Hall » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:16 pm

Glamisbound wrote:Greg, did you say you were going to camp in the BLM area? I'm wondering how crowded that gets and if you are running the risk of coming up empty handed after traveling all the way out there. I'm trying to plan a summer trip now...Oregon possibly, but SA is not out of the question.
This past summer we were there on July 3rd if I remember correctly. The BLM camp was almost full except for a couple of spots. Dunes edge had a bunch of spaces in there overflow area. Oasis was full.

I am also concerned about that issue but I might even make reservations somewhere and sell/give it away if we get a spot in the BLM camp.

We drove to all three, walked the grounds, spoke to staff to just get a feel. All of the camps were pretty full with some in overflow and what really floored me was that on the day prior to a holiday, full campgrounds, the dunes were empty...verry empty! My son and I rode out of the BLM day use area and once we got to the first dune we didn't see another quad, bike, rail or person until we were back to the lakes by the BLM camp! We had ridden out to the west end of the dunes and back, Choke Cherry and all with not another person in sight!
Greg Hall
KG6IAT

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
LT 500..all mine

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:40 pm

In June 1989, my first trip there, the place was our's. Things have changed a bunch and will never be the same. It is a place you can still plan on virgin sand but you have to use your head a bit to achieve.
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:51 am

Greg Hall wrote:
Glamisbound wrote:Greg, did you say you were going to camp in the BLM area? I'm wondering how crowded that gets and if you are running the risk of coming up empty handed after traveling all the way out there. I'm trying to plan a summer trip now...Oregon possibly, but SA is not out of the question.
This past summer we were there on July 3rd if I remember correctly. The BLM camp was almost full except for a couple of spots. Dunes edge had a bunch of spaces in there overflow area. Oasis was full.

I am also concerned about that issue but I might even make reservations somewhere and sell/give it away if we get a spot in the BLM camp.

We drove to all three, walked the grounds, spoke to staff to just get a feel. All of the camps were pretty full with some in overflow and what really floored me was that on the day prior to a holiday, full campgrounds, the dunes were empty...verry empty! My son and I rode out of the BLM day use area and once we got to the first dune we didn't see another quad, bike, rail or person until we were back to the lakes by the BLM camp! We had ridden out to the west end of the dunes and back, Choke Cherry and all with not another person in sight!
The BLM is first come first served with no reservations as I understand...
The Oasis next camp to Big Dunes [as I was told by owners] has never been 100% full ever in the dirt dry camp potato field, which is better than it sounds.
The Sand Hills fills up, and has trees and new owners.

FYI: The busiest weekend of the year is FATHERS DAY Weekend!
We 2 years ago, got to the Oasis the Friday before FD, and it was pretty full, and we dry camped. Much nicer entry to dunes than Sand Hills.

So, this is what I suggest: Try for the BLM [water limited/ shared power] and when it is full, go to the Oasis. Do a last minute trip, and wing it.

As a visitor to SA 10 times in the past 10 years it is an experience you will cherish forever!

Other tips: Throw a large trash bag in your rail just in case, we have experienced 4 or 5 SA afternoon Thunder storms that have soaked us to the bone!
Pack lots of food and drinks on your rides, where as a Glamis ride might be a couple of hours, you can literally ride all day at SA.

I think we may go up this year in August, early, a non holiday weekend.

Steve

Greg Hall

Re: finnaly gonna go

Post by Greg Hall » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:43 pm

Looks like our St. Anthony plans might change. Unless I can swing spending a full week at the dunes I just can't justify the fuel cost the way it is going.

But if things click just right then a spur of the moment trip might be in order!
Greg Hall
KG6IAT

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
LT 500..all mine

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:45 am

Anyone here planning to go to SA in late June? We plan to drive up from SoCal Father's Day weekend (June 15/16) but are flexible if we can hook up with someone (none of our normal group can make it this summer). We don't have any reservations, so the plan is to camp in the BLM campground. Ideally we'll ride a couple of days, ditch the trailer and go see the sights for a week (whitewater rafting, hiking, etc.), ride a couple more days, then head for home - but, this too can be flexible with the right suggestion.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:16 pm

Greg Hall wrote:Looks like our St. Anthony plans might change. Unless I can swing spending a full week at the dunes I just can't justify the fuel cost the way it is going.

But if things click just right then a spur of the moment trip might be in order!
Boy, things have only gotten worse since you posted this in April. Diesel in over $5.10 per gallon in San Diego today. It would cost me $1200 - $1500 in fuel for the moho to get to SA and back...I can't pull it off this year...I'm very bummed.
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:15 pm

Glamisbound wrote:
Greg Hall wrote:Looks like our St. Anthony plans might change. Unless I can swing spending a full week at the dunes I just can't justify the fuel cost the way it is going.

Boy, things have only gotten worse since you posted this in April. Diesel in over $5.10 per gallon in San Diego today. It would cost me $1200 - $1500 in fuel for the moho to get to SA and back...I can't pull it off this year...I'm very bummed.
We're going to make it a 2 week trip with a big chunk of it spent doing things other than riding. My similar fuel estimate works out to about $100/day averaged out over the longer trip - spreading it out like that makes it not seem as bad.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:29 am

Two weeks...wow, have a great trip woodster!
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:59 am

Glamisbound wrote:Two weeks...wow, have a great trip woodster!
I'm a firm believer in family road trip vacations. We've done a couple of 3 week trips in the past with the "rickety old motorhome" (my kid's name for the 25' 1992 class C we travel in). Was initially planning this to be a 3 week trip and include Glacier National Park, but decided the kids are older now (15 & 17) and we might end up with a mutiny before the trip was over.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

WoodIsGood wrote:
Glamisbound wrote:Two weeks...wow, have a great trip woodster!
I'm a firm believer in family road trip vacations. We've done a couple of 3 week trips in the past with the "rickety old motorhome" (my kid's name for the 25' 1992 class C we travel in). Was initially planning this to be a 3 week trip and include Glacier National Park, but decided the kids are older now (15 & 17) and we might end up with a mutiny before the trip was over.
two teenagers...good luck with that... :wink:
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:10 pm

Finally went! We left home June 14 and arrived home June 29 spending 4 days riding the St. Anthony dunes and the rest of the time traveling or sightseeing. Drove the motorhome 2,858 miles burning 332.6 gallons of gas (plus another 30 gallons in the quads). Cheapest gas was $3.919 in Idaho Falls. Most expensive outside of home was $4.249 in Challis, ID. Our last fill at home in Orange County was $4.579 (ouch!). The fuel expense was well worth it for the enjoyment value. Overall mileage: 8.59 mpg; mileage pulling the trailer: 8.236 mpg; mileage without the trailer: 9.418 mpg. Steepest grade encountered: 13% heading through Brianhead, UT on way to Cedar Breaks National Monument (12 mph in 1st gear with foot on the floor :shock: )

ASA member theboofooguy was a great SA ambassador. He not only let me park my trailer at his house for a week while we went sightseeing, he also came to the dunes our first day there with his wife and a friend and led us on a 3 hour tour of the dunes. =D> =D>

The combination of the soft sand at SA and its 5000' elevation made our sea level jetted 400EXs work hard. While we couldn't climb the biggest hills or run around the big bowls at the rim we had plenty of fun. I've never spent so much time at wide-open-throttle as in these big, open dunes.

The sand at SA makes an incredible sound when pushed down a slipface. Check this video out to hear it (turn the volume up a little about 25 seconds into the video). The sound was so surreal that we must have done this 15-20 times while we were there.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:35 am

Sounds like a good trip. And the gas mileage wasn't too bad considering you were driving a gasser and pulling a trailer.
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:15 am

Glad to see that you made it back in one piece. I enjoyed meeting you and your family. I hope you're able to make it up this way again and we can can do some more duning.

Take Care
David...

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:35 am

Glamisbound wrote:Sounds like a good trip. And the gas mileage wasn't too bad considering you were driving a gasser and pulling a trailer.
I generally drive fairly conservatively - 65 mph on the flats and not afraid to lose some speed on the hills - and it shows in the mileage. If I'm in a hurry I can drop the mileage to 6 mpg easily, but I'm not willing to pay for that.

I've never figured out why my motorhome mileage is actually better when I'm at higher elevations - even though I'm usually pulling grades then. Doesn't make any sense since the air is thinner up there so the engine should be producing less power overall.

mawieche
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by mawieche » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:43 pm

I am leaving for Idaho on Thurs. Plan on having a really good time even though some our group bailed for various reasons. The weather looks like it will be great. I will post some pics. when I return.
Just a dune dummie.

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:52 pm

First time I've heard the moaning dunes. Thought it was a myth.

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:28 pm

Kevlar wrote:First time I've heard the moaning dunes. Thought it was a myth.
I was surprised to find that even some longtime riders there had never heard of it and were amazed when I had them do it. One guy said that the "Thunder Mountain" dune (aka Crapo's dune) there got it's name from the sound.

From what I understand only about 30 dune systems in the world have this characteristic and each has a distinctive sound.

It worked better on some slip-faces than others but all seemed to do it to some extent. The more sand you get sliding down the hill the louder the sound. You can even feel the vibration of the sand while sitting on your quad.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:56 pm

I'm resurecting this thread because............I'm going to St. Anthony this summer!!!

Reserveations at Sand Hills 8/1 to 8/8.

I can't wait... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any other takers???
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:40 pm

Glamisbound wrote:I'm resurecting this thread because............I'm going to St. Anthony this summer!!!

Reserveations at Sand Hills 8/1 to 8/8.

I can't wait... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any other takers???
Hmmmmmmmmm?

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:50 pm

Come on Kev, meet me out there!!!

It's going to be an awesome trip...
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

RX 4 INSANDITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RX 4 INSANDITY » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:13 pm

Hey GB--

It is an awesome trip. We are planning on going, but can't go at the beginning of any month due to job cycle. You are not planning on going by yourself are you? [-X

You will get sick of the dunes from Sand Hills to the "real" dunes. It does impact your dune time, but the camping is better. Not enough in my opinion, but better. 8) 8)

Fastest dunes you will ever ride. Get fuel delivered, you will need more than you probably want to carry for 1000 miles.

Have fun and be safe. We still need to hook up some time at Glamis.

--Mike
Offroading and Concern for the Environment are NOT Mutually Exclusive

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:20 pm

Ten-4 Mike.

There is a big group of us from Glamis dunes going. Right around 10 families so far.

I already planned on having fuel delivered. I'm guessing two barrels will do it. Although I have heard you burn a lot more fuel than usual.

I've studied the place pretty well and the camping areas. I liked the reviews on Sand Hills the best, especailly when factoring in my three kids and wife. Up to me alone and I'd camp in the BLM open area.

I've heard so much about the 4 gear pinned bowls and 10 miles runs....woooo hooo. I've been actually thinking of taking my car to Outfront and having the motor bumped to the 450 HP range...but a big part of me wants to move up to a V8 car so I don't necessarily want to dump any more money into my car.

Let me know if things change and you guys want to join us for the 1st of August, you are more than welcome... :mrgreen:
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:02 am

Judging from the lack of postings on this topic, it appears the economy has totally obliterated the enthusiasm of neighbors from the South, making plans to travel to E. Idaho to dune; quite a contrast from a couple of summers ago. :(

RX 4 INSANDITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RX 4 INSANDITY » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:44 am

Roger--

Funny you should say that. We are headed that way on Saturday for the week. =D> Really looking forward to the dunes. Missed last year due to $5.00 diesel. :shock: $2.50 seems much better. :D :D

Come on up if you have the time and desire.

--Mike
Offroading and Concern for the Environment are NOT Mutually Exclusive

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:11 am

RX 4 INSANDITY wrote:Missed last year due to $5.00 diesel. $2.50 seems much better.
Boy, ain't that the truth? diesel seems to be averaging around $2.70 here and our our recent drive over to Salt Lake C.
Glad to hear you're going to be coming up. Do you go through St. George and then up through Utah? I guess you could also go through Ely and Wells, NV, on I 93; then take I 84 after Twin Falls, ID to I 86? You've probably researched all that pretty well.
It makes the prospect of going over there, very tempting, but we're slated to go up to Northern Idaho for a reception that week. Thanks for the invite. Have a great trip.

Return to “St. Anthony Dunes”