ATV Safety Course

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Papa Perry
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

ATV Safety Course

Post by Papa Perry »

A friend and I have 5 kids that we want to go through an ATV Safety course. We were looking at the MSF courses. Because of their ages (2 nine year olds, 2 thirteen and a seventeen year old) they would need to be in different groups on different days. We came up with an idea of having a private course for the kids.

We don't need the certificate, we just want them to have some good instruction so that they are safer riders.

Do you know of anyone who teaches an ATV safety course who would be willing to give private lessons, maybe at Glamis one morning.

Thanks!

Perry

Radrat
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Radrat »

Um.. I would do it anytime when do you plan on going?
Chuck Mobley, Dunecologist
VP DUNERS
"The highest priority ought to be human life and the property of citizens."

SailAway

Post by SailAway »

Funny you should mention that Perry...

This has been talked about for a while now and it's something that would be great out at Glamis. A program in conjunction with the Junior Ranger program where kids will get some conservation education and also OHV education. Once a month we can set up a training course for the kids... orange cones and a slolam course with a basic set of skill tests. Our goal is to have it be a "certified" class, which would be really cool.

I happen to know some people who are putting this together and guess what Chuck just did... being the dandy guy that he is, he just took one step forward and became the volunteer in charge :lol:

Vicki
Vicki Warren
President of DUNERS and Friends of
Dumont Dunes user groups
http://www.duners.org
http://www.FriendsOfDumontDunes.org

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

DOH!! :roll:
VP DUNERS

Papa Perry
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Papa Perry »

Chuck,

Thanks for Volunteering. :lol:

I PM'd you details.

Perry

JET

Post by JET »

Radrat teachin the rugrats.

YOU DA MAN!

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

No problem just need help from anyone that wants to volunteer. And we should talk to the BLM first.
VP DUNERS

jeeperz
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by jeeperz »

I would be interested in helping out - I need to get my 2 step kids into something like that - they are new to ATVs and could really benefit from some sort of structured learnage before they get too out of control and over their heads... I see broken bones in the future... :shock:
REAL JEEPS ARE BUILT NOT BOUGHT!

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by nats-fj40 »

I'd like to get my daughter thru something like that. Hearing something from someone other than dad would reenforce the safe rider tips I give her, Heck I'll even help ya out Chuck (schedule permiting.)
Jon B.
KG6NLC

SailAway

Post by SailAway »

Radrat wrote:No problem just need help from anyone that wants to volunteer. And we should talk to the BLM first.
That's already been started :D

Vicki
Vicki Warren
Dumont Dunes user groups

AlxCook
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by AlxCook »

Would there by age restrictions because quads have age restrictions??? For example, my 5 year old is on his second full season riding, but the government feels he is way too youngto ride a quad, at least that is what the dealers say and that little sticker on the quad.

This course should be about safety and personal conduct while riding and camping out in the desert.
Alex

Member of DUNERs, ASA, CORVA, SDORC, BRC, and the human race

SailAway

Post by SailAway »

Actually Alex, that’s not exactly true, although there are some definite restrictions.

These rules are listed on the California OHV web page:
Each unlicensed OHV/ATV operator must be under the immediate supervision of a licensed adult and must be capable of operating all vehicle control mechanisms.

Unlicensed OHV/ATV operators, with or without a safety certificate, are prohibited from operating a vehicle during nighttime hours or outside the designated OHV area.

ATV operators under the age of 18 must possess an appropriate safety certificate or be supervised by an adult who possess a safety certificate.
Every land management agency refers back to the Vehicle Code for further explanation.

According to Vechicle Code 38503:
Conditions for Operating: Minors

38503. No person under the age of 18 years, on and after January 1, 1990, shall operate an all-terrain vehicle on public lands of this state unless the person satisfies one of the following conditions:

(a) The person is taking a prescribed safety training course under the direct supervision of a certified all-terrain vehicle safety instructor.

(b) The person is under the direct supervision of an adult who has in their possession an appropriate safety certificate issued by this state, or issued under the authority of another state.

(c) The person has in possession an appropriate safety certificate issued by this state or issued under the authority of another state.
And
Conditions for Operating: Additional Requirements
38504. No person under 14 years of age, on and after January 1, 1990, shall operate an all-terrain vehicle on public lands of this state unless the person satisfies one of the conditions set forth in Section 38503 and, in addition, is accompanied by and under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian or is accompanied by and under the direct supervision of an adult who is authorized by the parent or guardian.
Okay, so what is this safety certificate? Well, since you asked:
(a) An all-terrain vehicle safety training organization, commencing on January 1, 1989, shall issue an all-terrain vehicle safety certificate furnished by the department to any individual who successfully completes a course of instruction in all-terrain vehicle operation and safety as approved and certified by the Off-highway Vehicle Safety Education Committee.

(b) The department shall charge a fee not to exceed three dollars ($3) for each all-terrain vehicle safety certificate issued by an all-terrain vehicle safety training organization to each person completing a course of instruction from an all-terrain vehicle safety instructor using the approved course of instruction of the all-terrain vehicle safety training organization. The amount of the fee shall be determined by the department and shall be sufficient to defray the actual costs incurred by the department for administering and monitoring this program.

(c) An all-terrain vehicle safety training organization shall not charge a fee in excess of the fee charged by the department pursuant to subdivision (b) for furnishing an all-terrain vehicle safety certificate. An organization may charge a fee not to exceed three dollars ($3) in addition to the fee charged by the department for the issuance of a duplicate certificate and shall provide a duplicate certificate if requested by the person who completed the course.
Now, where to get those safety certificates? That information is on its way...

Vicki
Vicki Warren
Dumont Dunes user groups

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup »

Honda has a training facility in Colton. Click here for more info http://www.motorsports-network.com/hond ... center.htm
Guy Chrest

SailAway

Post by SailAway »

Excellent. Now if they would just come out to Glamis and do it, we'd have a match made in Heaven 8)

Vicki
Vicki Warren
Dumont Dunes user groups

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

Well if I have to be certified i'll get certified and teach it to all the little rugrats at Glamis. Much better for the parents to have it at Glamis.
I know I would rather do it there. Like Alex said teach em more then just riding. Teach about safety and helping others, be respectful, etc.. This could be very kewl.
VP DUNERS

OLDMAN
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by OLDMAN »

I took the course in May of 1990 and it was put on by C.O.R.V.A. This was the written test. The ridding instructions were given at Orange Coast College the same year.
"D.L."

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

How kewl would it be if you could take your children to Glamis and get the course and the testing. Get certified and get real terrain conditions. Also, I like honda's concept of enviromental teaching as well. Very kewl stuff. Just bring it to G. Heck nobody knows Glamis like we all know Glamis. the issues the terrain the rules, etc.. this could be a kewl thing.
VP DUNERS

SailAway

Post by SailAway »

The problem we're running into is the cost for completing this course. If done directly through ATV Safety Institute, it's $75 for the younguns and $125 for the oldsters. :shock:

Through the facility at Colton it's $100 across the board.

Free to up to 3 people per bike if the vehicle is new.

We're working on finding out how to reduce that "used vehicle" certificate fee.

Vicki
Vicki Warren
Dumont Dunes user groups

Papa Perry
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Papa Perry »

Wow, I didn't think this would get the response it did. Personally, my friend and I don't care about the certificates, just that our children get some kind of training. We would do it, but you know how well children listen to their parents.... :roll:

The cost isn't an issue either. I was going to sign them up for the MSF course, but the <12 ones had to be on a 70cc bike or below. Both of our kids have 80cc bikes. The fact that they we would have to have the younger kids & older kids in separate classes on different days was also a concern.

We would be willing to compensate (cash, beer, Some of my excellent BBQ, etc) someone to come by the campsite & work with the kids.

Now that I've seen the response, an official course of some kind might work for the greater good.

Thanks for everything!

Perry

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

I love the idea too Perry. I think it's a good way to get the kids thinking in the right direction. I know exactly what you mean when you say that kids will listen to someone else. Especially if it's semi structured. Any safety training will help whether it's "certified" or not.
VP DUNERS

porboy

Post by porboy »

I would love to help. I don't know if my certification is still valid though. I took the course about 12 years ago. I would gladly get re certified if it meant teaching the young ones to ride safe and respect the hazards of the dunes.

Papa Perry
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Papa Perry »

Exactly, Chuck. They'll listen to teachers & strangers before they listen to us.

Thanks for the assistance!

Perry

AlxCook

Post by AlxCook »

Picture this.......two weekends a year (like amnesty day),and have hour long training session teaching the kids how and what to do in the dunes. Whether it be a quad or two wheeler, it shouldn't matter. After they get done, they get a Saftey Bug certificate (who cares whats on it) and maybe a $10.00 gift certificate to their favorite shopping place(for the younger Toy R Us, older maybe web site or something)? Each person that is taught donates like $20.00. The direct result, $10.00 goes to the charity(org.) and the youth get something out of it. Could do it at the Ranger station in conjuction with the Rangers. It would make the kids feel more comfrotable with the Ranger also.
Alex

jeeperz
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by jeeperz »

That is SOOOOOO true about kids listening to someone else -I have been riding since I was 7, but does dad know what he is talking about? NAAAAAA! Now that we know where the gas is - thats all we need, we'll figure out the rest later as we go... :shock: we don't need no stinking certificates or common sence! LOL - guess I will be cranking down on the ol' throtle govs' for a while.... :wink:
REAL JEEPS ARE BUILT NOT BOUGHT!

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

Hey all been rather busy but, I wanted to update you on this. We are going to be doing this for the kids. Should be alot of fun.

Check out

http://www.hostboard.com/duners/ubbthre ... o=&fpart=1

for more information
VP DUNERS

sypangirl
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by sypangirl »

I was actually hoping to take one of those courses myself.. anyone know of any in the San Diego area?

SailAway

Post by SailAway »

sypangirl wrote:I was actually hoping to take one of those courses myself.. anyone know of any in the San Diego area?
I know of the one in Colton, CA, 800-905-5565. They should be able to point you to one closer to San Diego. We'll eventually have certified instructors that will be able to do something along the lines of what you're looking for, but for now it's much less formal.
Vicki Warren
Dumont Dunes user groups

SailAway

Post by SailAway »

A. Cook wrote:Picture this.......two weekends a year (like amnesty day),and have hour long training session teaching the kids how and what to do in the dunes. Whether it be a quad or two wheeler, it shouldn't matter. After they get done, they get a Saftey Bug certificate (who cares whats on it) and maybe a $10.00 gift certificate to their favorite shopping place(for the younger Toy R Us, older maybe web site or something)? Each person that is taught donates like $20.00. The direct result, $10.00 goes to the charity(org.) and the youth get something out of it. Could do it at the Ranger station in conjuction with the Rangers. It would make the kids feel more comfrotable with the Ranger also.
Alex, those are great ideas.

This program has been set up because people asked for it :D

So we're taking our lead from the duners... what else would the duners like to see the program do for them and their children?

Vicki
Vicki Warren
Dumont Dunes user groups

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by nats-fj40 »

When I was looking for a "certified" course for my daughter last year, I got directed to the state parks office @ Ocotillo Wells, I think I found their # on the BLM web page. (Jr ranger program?)
Any way at the time she couldn't do it 'cuz they only use 90 cc machines, and due to the stupid age restrictions ..................
Jon B.
KG6NLC

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie »

I think this is an awesome idea to have an ATV course for the dunes. I would gladly pay the prevailing fee to have my 2 boys certified..(although they are certifiable)..LOL ...I would also be willing to take the course myself and volunteer to help with the training to the extent that I am able...

Intelliduner

Post by Intelliduner »

sypangirl wrote:I was actually hoping to take one of those courses myself.. anyone know of any in the San Diego area?
I got $50 from Yamaha when I bought my Banshee for taking a course. If this phone # is still good, here's where I called to set up my training course back in '96:

800-887-ATVS (2887)

The one I went to was out in Lakeside. Kinda fun. The only time I ever used knobby tires on my bike :D

_dennis

SailAway

Post by SailAway »

That's still a good number Dennis.

From what I've heard though it's not just the inconvenience but also the cost of taking the ATV Safety Institute (ASI) program that has been holding a lot of people back. When you purchase a new bike, up to 3 people are allowed to take the safety course at no cost. But, if you purchase the bike second-hand you have to pay anywhere from $50-125 per person for the same course. For some families, that's just too much.

Once our own people have become ASI certified we will be able to offer it at substantially less, if not free.

And, we'll be providing the instruction where people actually go to ride, rather than forcing them them to travel to a designated location for the training.

In the meantime, starting 2/16 DUNERS is offering a much less formal session for kids ages 5-17, at no cost. It doesn't meet the ASI requirements, but it sure gets the Junior Duners off to the right start :D

Vicki
Vicki Warren
Dumont Dunes user groups

proglamis
ASA Transportation Vice Chair
ASA Transportation Vice Chair

Post by proglamis »

Vicki,
The costs you speak of, include using the training facilities ohv's and property. If people brought their own, how could the cost be that much?

This is all very interesting.

I've even had people with brand new $$$$ buggies ask me to teach them how to drive their cars in the dunes.

Can you say "sure, let's go!". I just need to figure out how to make a living at it.

Craig

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator

Post by BHenry »

proglamis wrote: I've even had people with brand new $$$$ buggies ask me to teach them how to drive their cars in the dunes.

Can you say "sure, let's go!". I just need to figure out how to make a living at it.

Craig
Dream Job!
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

Dream job for sure. Man that would so awesome. :)
VP DUNERS

SailAway

Post by SailAway »

proglamis wrote:Vicki,
The costs you speak of, include using the training facilities ohv's and property. If people brought their own, how could the cost be that much?
I asked about that... I was told it has something to do with the instructor's fees. Somewhere I read that no one can charge over $3 for the certificate (I think it was the vehicle code)... kind of like smog certification I guess :D

Regarding training to become an instructor... there are two ways for us to go. The less expensive way would be for someone to become a certified instructor with them, basically under their umbrella. We'd have no choice but to charge their standard fees and we'd have some other constraints. The other way costs more, but leaves us free to charge what we want and provide the classes where and to whom we want. Much better.

Vicki
Vicki Warren
Dumont Dunes user groups

SailAway

Post by SailAway »

So far it looks like we have about 10 kids signed up :D

There's still room, so drop an e-mail to ChuckM@duners.org to hold a spot.

Vicki
Vicki Warren
Dumont Dunes user groups

AlxCook

Post by AlxCook »

You got my eight????
Alex

SailAway

Post by SailAway »

Ack! Okay, that would be 18 now, with 14 certain and 4 "I'll try" :lol:

Vicki
Vicki Warren
Dumont Dunes user groups

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

Holy moly!! The pressure is on!! :lol:
VP DUNERS

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by nats-fj40 »

My "I'll try" is pretty certain now! Thanks Chuck & Vicki.
:oops:
Jon B.
KG6NLC

SailAway

Post by SailAway »

hehehe

See you there Jon :D

Chuck, don't get all nervous (sheesh stage fright) :shock:

There's still room and some surprises for the kids, so come on by :P

Vicki
Vicki Warren
Dumont Dunes user groups

porboy

Post by porboy »

Well the saftey course went great. The kids were awesome and so were the instructors :wink: . Just wanted to put up a quick picture. I am sure Chuck and Vicky will add more. I am to tired to go into all the details but I will tomorrow.

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by nats-fj40 »

My daughter Jessica, had a great time. Thanks for re-enforcing what I've been telling her! Also thanks for the help with the 300ex!
Jon B.
KG6NLC

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

that was sooooo much fun. And Alex your group of kids are AWESOME!! They responded well and were very very good kids. Very attentive and respectful. Your group raised some great kids.

Jason you did a great job of training them. Bryan and Curt too. And Vicki when have I ever had stage fright.. :)

BTW, we made the IV Press. Nice pic and caption. There is a picture of you and the kids on their bikes. The caption reads:

"Vicki Warren, president of DUNER, walks next to kids lined up and waiting to ride their all terrain vehicles through cones set up as part of a safety course. Christopher Cook(Alex's son) 5, of Canyon Lake and other riders maneuver through the course. The course was part of the first junior duner program at the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area off Gecko Rd. near the Cahuilla Ranger Station on Saturday(it was really sunday). Some of the program's lessons for kids included safety, leadership skills, and hazards that exist in the dunes and how to operate an ATV. DUNER hopes to have many programs in the future."

Good job everyone!!! Very successful.
VP DUNERS

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

nats-fj40 wrote:My daughter Jessica, had a great time. Thanks for re-enforcing what I've been telling her! Also thanks for the help with the 300ex!
Jon anytime. Jessica is a really good rider. Hey you left to early wanted to shoot the sheeeot.
VP DUNERS

AlxCook

Post by AlxCook »

Thank you all, the kids had a great time. It was defintely worth the time you guys put into the event, and the trash bags you gave out, got filled up with some trash on Monday morning. It was a cool site seeing the kids ride their quads thru the cones, sitting on thier ATV's listening to Jason teach them about equipment and their machines. :D :D

But, the only thing my son asked later, where was the big guy with the white hair, that is on his calendar in his room?
Alex

AlxCook

Post by AlxCook »

I can't find the article online. I would love to get a copy for my son.
Alex

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

Alex the best I can do is scan it and you can print it. Would that be fine?

VP DUNERS

Papa Perry
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Papa Perry »

Sounds like it was a success!

Couldn't make it as you scheduled it during the Daytona 272.5. We were watching the race.

Maybe next time!

PerrySoCal

Return to “Wide Open Sand”