Sypangirl needs your help again!

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

superduty4x4Dad
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Sypangirl needs your help again!

Post by superduty4x4Dad »

Jess went ahead and purchase a Banshee..you may remember her post. http://www.americansandassociation.org/ ... hp?t=10346

Unfortunately it did not turn out to be a good experience and she hasn’t even rode it yet!

To make a long story short it was not working when it was delivered…to make a longer story even shorter she can not return it to the original owner…so.

She put it in a shop that said it’s probably the upper section :? but could not know for sure because there is something else that’s much more expensive in the bottom section :? that could be bad too. Got to love those technical terms. :twisted:

So After rebuilding the upper section :? the Banshee still did not start and they said it must be that bottom part which is more expensive to fix. Got to love those technical terms again. :twisted:

So after buying it she has invested approx $800 so far a could spend even more $$$ to get it fix. :x

I know this is vague description of the events but I am sure she will drop in with additional more precise details.

Being that she is such a nice poor($) college girl :D and brand new to off road riding I though maybe you guys can give her some ideas.

Please post some question that may clarify this situation I am sure she will answer.

Thanks in advance to all you great dunners on this site :!:

The machine is in the shop waiting for her decision. :?:

edited to add pic of Banshee

Last edited by superduty4x4Dad on Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radrat
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Radrat »

First of all what are the symptoms? Just because it won't start doesn't mean it's internal. Could be reeds, jets, bad gas, bad plugs, multitude of stuff. I wouldn't trust any shops. But, that's me.

Also where you guys at G this weekend. I saw the bus going down the drags. :)
Chuck Mobley, Dunecologist
VP DUNERS
"The highest priority ought to be human life and the property of citizens."

YFZ Bob
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by YFZ Bob »

Who's the Shop? $800.00 for a Top End :?: Was there any other work done besides a Top End i.e Porting :?:
from the movie "Sling Blade" (to the Shop Guys not Jessica) " You guys Check the Gas?" :lol:

Custom Creations ATV Fabrication & Motorworks
33575 Yuciapa Blvd
Yucaipa, Ca 92399 (Yucaipa?, it's east of San Bernardino)
909-797-1585
Talk to Kevin, let him know that Banshee Bob sent you.
Last edited by YFZ Bob on Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Hall

Post by Greg Hall »

Any shop that can't diagnose the problem without rebuilding the top end first, then coming back with oops, I guess that wasn't it! Isn't one I would put any more money into. (in my case, I would be working to find a way to get the bike out of the shop at no/little charge)

It is very rare for something in the lower end to keep it from running. Repair work on a vehicle of any kind is not a matter of trial and error...period!

A reputable shop will diagnose the concern and offer a solution with an estimated charge for what needs to be done. If they are wrong, it shouldn't be up to the customer to pay for the work.

Good luck and see if some of the others on this BB can direct you to a good shop in your area.
Greg Hall
KG6IAT
http://www.hallsengine.com
Visiting and helping to protect the dunes since 1962

http://www.RideOcotilloWells.com

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
'06 KDX 200..my son's bike
KX 100 My 11 year old son's
KFX 400 also my son's bike
LT 500..all mine

RiChiERich
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by RiChiERich »

She had it diagnosed by Alba and they told her that the top end was bad from a compression check. Alba quoted 800 to do a top end (WOW!). So..she took it somewhere else..where she told them that the prob was the top end. So the shop just did the top end. They also charged her 800..but they put on new carbs reeds and brakes as well. I dont blame the shop because they were misinformed (a bit! jessica..dont beat my *****). In her defense tho, i still think the shop should have done a complete diagnostic check before working on the bike. It would have saved a whole lot more money and headaches. But hey..shes got a new top end on a bike that wont run..lol

Sand Diego Duner
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Sand Diego Duner »

Other than offering to try part swapping with known good parts off my quad to know what is the cause I'd need to see it to know whats going on. I just helped another guy with similar problems but after putting in new plugs and FILLING THE GAS TANK it was up and running just fine. The unfortunate thing is I don't have the time right now to spend a day trouble shooting/swap parts from my Banshee to another. Maybe in a couple of weeks but I'm sure she wants something resolved sooner than that as the season is coming to a close.

sypangirl
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by sypangirl »

Goodness...
This has been such a problem...
Let me explain from the VERY beginning
We bought the bike on EBAY (1st mistake) for 2300 (95' Banshee stock purple and yellow w/ FMF graphics kit)
It was a good price so we figured that even with a few problems
it would still be pretty cheap...
So we have it shipped from Indiana to Cali for $265
The guy palletizes it and it gets sent back 3 times then finally
shipped for another $60 in palletizing costs.
Finally we get the thing and it won't start to begin with...
A few friends of mine get it started by towing it behind one of their trucks
After that it kick starts but the compression felt off...
We take it to Mojave to try and get a 1st real ride out of it and the thing ran kinda wierd.... So the next day we take it to ALBA to have them see why it runs wierd... They do a $40 diagnosis of it and check the compression telling us its the top-end. They quote us at $800 for a top-end rebuild .... We thought that was a bit pricey so we wanted to look around. We took it to a few more shops in San Diego and they told us anywhere from $450-$650 so we decided ALBA was definitely out of the question... The other shops we took it to were really busy so we decided to take it to a friend of my friends shop in LA...We told him ALBA said it was top-end so he went ahead and rebuilt that but also pointed out worn out brakes and carbs that needed a lot of work... So he rebulit the top end, rebuilt the carbs, replaced the pistons and gaskets and redid the brakes, and put a twist throttle on (apparently it needed one because one of the torse lids... i think thats what they are called... was stripped meaning its not sealed and therefore it had to all be replaced) for $800 total. Then now that all that is done, the bike runs but is not running well... The guy thinks it needs a botttom end rebuild and is working out replacing the entire motor from an 03' banshee w/' body damage... So basically the question is.... Is there anyhting else the problem could be? Basically now its really hard to start and when we get it started it bogs down and doesnt run well... So, what should I do with the bike? Ive basically put around $3500 in to the bike and its not running so would it be wise to sell it and look for something else, or fix the problem? Any advice will help.. THANKS
-Jess
btw:Yes the bus was in Glamis this weekend and the drags were a lot of fun!!!! We had a good time :) But I wish the Banshee could have made it
ps- If someone could tell me how to post a pic i can post one...[/img]

superduty4x4Dad
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Jess said “A few friends of mine get it started by towing it behind one of their trucks”

I think you should make them pay because they made it worse LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don’t worry girl there will be a good outcome here keep that smile on :D

As far as the pic email it to me and I’ll post for you or call me for how to instructions

SD4x4TRD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by SD4x4TRD »

superduty4x4Dad wrote:Jess said “A few friends of mine get it started by towing it behind one of their trucks”

I think you should make them pay because they made it worse LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As far as the pic email it to me and I’ll post for you or call me for how to instructions
Its a good way to pull start it after a bike sits for a while...
I'd rather dune in a school bus

Rooster
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Rooster »

From experiance I can tell you that your problem could very well be the carbs. The area where the slides move up and down in the carb bodies just plain gets worn out after years of use and no amount of "rebuilding" will fix them. The carbs are made from a light weight material that doesn't last forever. The slides wear away enough material to cause an air leak making the motor run bad, or not at all. The first signs I noticed were intermittent backfiring, then progressed to the point where it wouldn't run at all. This all happened in just a few hours of riding. I would suggest swapping them out with a set of known working ones to see if it helps. Either way, you'll know if that was the problem before forking out more money.

The air leak that by-passes the slides made the motor run just lean enough to cook a piston before I relized it was even happening. I'm now runnning a Trinity Stage IV single carb set-up known as a CV, or "Constant Velocity" carb and couldn't be happier.

Rooster 8)
Whoops, did I get sand in your face?

'04 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab Dually PSD
'04 Montana Mountaineer 33' FW
'89 Banshee ("Bad Toy") Gone but not forgotten
'65 Ford Falcon Futura ("The Hot Rod")

SD4x4TRD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by SD4x4TRD »

Wouldn't the mechanic know that???

Sandsledge
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Sandsledge »

Maybe or maybe not.

Rob

SD4x4TRD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by SD4x4TRD »

Does anyone know an honest shop around San Diego that could diagnosis it...
That would prob be our best bet right???

superduty4x4Dad
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

SD4x4TRD wrote:
superduty4x4Dad wrote:Jess said “A few friends of mine get it started by towing it behind one of their trucks”

Its a good way to pull start it after a bike sits for a while...
it's also a good way to ruin the lower end :twisted: :P

Mugman
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Can't go wrong

Post by Mugman »

You can't go wrong with Vey's on Prospect in Santee. They're honest & they know quads ! If your bike doesn't need it they won't try to sell it to you. They also have a big suply of used parts at good ,fair prices. They're in the phonebook. VEYS

RK

Post by RK »

Make sure the little hose that goes between the carbs is there. the bike wont start easily or run worth a **** without it.

ROostKing..

Mike330R
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mike330R »

Jess,
It sounds like a fuel problem as others have said. It runs bad when it's started? Has anyone checked the jetting?

Sam Coe in Santee does good work and I have heard good stuff about VEY's.

Have someone do a jetting/plug check. Ride it WFO in 4th or 5th gear, hit the kill switch and coast to a stop. Then check your plugs. If they are brown and wet it is jetted way to rich.
Mike

Poiks

Post by Poiks »

Rooster wrote:I'm now runnning a Trinity Stage IV single carb set-up known as a CV, or "Constant Velocity" carb and couldn't be happier.
I had the same setup on my Banshee, and it was awesome. A lot easier to work on than the dual carbs, too.

I'm not sure why Sypangirl needed a twist throttle due to a problem with the TORS system. Seems like the shop may have had a twist in stock, but no thumb throttle. :?

Sypangirl: for what it's worth I'd hold on to what you have instead of starting over. You've already put a decent amount of money into it, and it seems like you'd take quite a loss trying to off-load that and start over. Good luck.

Sand Commander

Post by Sand Commander »

I had a similar problem on my son's Banshee when I rebuilt the carbs. Turns out I had the carb slides in the wrong carbs- IE the right slide in the left carb and the left one in the right carb. It is very easy to get them backwards, which is why I only take one carb apart at a time now.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

sypangirl
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by sypangirl »

You can't go wrong with Vey's on Prospect in Santee. They're honest & they know quads ! If your bike doesn't need it they won't try to sell it to you. They also have a big suply of used parts at good ,fair prices. They're in the phonebook. VEYS
Where exactly is this? How far from SD?
Thanks...
Jess

Sean250R
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Sean250R »

Jess,take your bike to someone who has the confidence to diagnose it properly.Start with the diagnosis ONLY.You may want to ask the shop who rebuilt the "top end" if they checked the rod clearance,this is important.Many engines will start & run with worn "bottom end" components.It could be a simple fix,you just never know.Dont overlook simple things,remove the hose from the top of the gas tank,(on the gas cap) make sure air can flow through it.Does fuel even flow past the fuel valve freely (petcock)??? Duncanracing.com has a good website,if someone can help you (not underestimating you :wink: ) go through the "basics". I like Duncan racing, (Santee) they have been good to me,no hype or b.s. Good luck,Sean

DesertDogs
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by DesertDogs »

SYPAN...

MIKE330R was right. Take it to Sam Coe in Santee....he's right off the 67 and Prospect, called Kenney Way. He's in the phone book.

Sam won't steer you wrong, and he's great with all bikes.

Duncan Racing is on same street, but they are more high performance and more $$$.

By the way, Ricky Stator is also on same street....Lights!!!

Good luck....oh yeah, if you live in San DIego....go East on 8, take Hiway 67 exit..it's about 13-15 miles.

East county is where ALL the OFF ROAD Shops are at.....good idea to get acqauinted with them.
Duners are the only real Dune-biologists.

'If I had a dollar for every square acre of sensitive land that is now under houses and malls, I'd be richer than Bill Gates, and the President of the Seirra Club'

D.U.N.E.R. Member

Sandfreakintastic
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Sandfreakintastic »

Ok, here is the best shop to deal with (personal experience), the shop is called "Samco" it is owned and operated by Sam Coe and he is the best guy in the world to work with. He is across from Duncan and Ricky Stator in Santee. I would put my bike there before anywhere else in the world (personal experience). He built muy 97 banshee and never never had a prob with it. A friend of mine went to 4 shops until she listened to me and went to Sam. Now here bike has never run better. Reasonably priced and a great guy to work with. Good luck!
Things that don't last for me:
Any transmission (type 1 thru mendeola)
CV joints, Ring and pinions, Frame welds and Women!
At least now I can afford to replace the buggy parts!

CALDS650
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by CALDS650 »

sypangirl
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by sypangirl »

We got it running!!!!!!!!!!

My Thanks go out to Paul (Sand Diego Duner) for fixing my Banshee for me!
I really appreciate you taking time to help me out!!!
SAND DIEGO DUNER IS A GENIUS!
Thanks so much...
And thanks to everyone for all their input...
Now I might actually get to ride the thing!
Looking forward to taking it out!
Thanks again
-Jess

porboy
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by porboy »

What was wrong?

Sand Diego Duner
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Actually there was quite a few things wrong. We knocked out most of the problems it was having as far as the engine. Now there are just a bunch of nick nacks that need fine tuning or replacing. I think she will be able to make at least one trip before the end of this season.

realbadlarry
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by realbadlarry »

Good Karma to you SDD...

Sand Commander

Post by Sand Commander »

Sand Diego Duner, Could you be more specific on what was wrong. These kind of stories are always good lessons in troubleshooting.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

Sand Diego Duner
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Ok well it was kind of a combo of things that could have been the problem. First off the kill switch on the handle bar wasn't working. There is a brass/copper contact that is on the red sliding piece that contacts an inner set of contacts. The inner contacts some how got dislodged which could have been causing the motor to think you switched it off. Second was the left carb cap was not screwed down effectly sealing it causing the sky high idle and wouldn't let it idle after you reved it up. Third someone cut the key switch off and the two wires that go to the switch need to be connected together (I couldn't trace these wires back to where they attach in the wire harness as I didn't want to take the bike down to that point to be sure someone did solder them together. The hose that connects the two carbs together (choke hose) wasn't there but I made do by cutting some of the overflow hose off and used it to connect them together. Basically the bike is a mess but shouldn't need too much more to get it up and running without being a safety hazard. I left Jessica with a list of things she needs to do or have done before she should ride it. A little more money into it and all will be well. If anyone needs any help with your quad let me know... I love a challenge!

SD4x4TRD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by SD4x4TRD »

Running good now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starts up after one or two kicks!!!

thanx again Sand Diego Duner!!!!!!!!!!

Sand Diego Duner
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Let me know if she still wants to get those parts at Alba. Oh did you get that foot peg taken off yet? That thing is going to be a pain. If you need anymore help again let me know.

RK

Post by RK »

. The hose that connects the two carbs together (choke hose) wasn't there but I made do by cutting some of the overflow hose off and used it to connect them together
So my diagnisis was parcially correct, Cool. I must be getting better, or lucky!@

RoostKing...

SD4x4TRD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by SD4x4TRD »

RK wrote:
. The hose that connects the two carbs together (choke hose) wasn't there but I made do by cutting some of the overflow hose off and used it to connect them together
So my diagnisis was parcially correct, Cool. I must be getting better, or lucky!@

RoostKing...
Ya, that choke hose was a problem and the bike ran alot better with it there...

SDD,

I took the kick start lever off and took it to motorworld and it just needed a new ball,spring, and bearing, which costed 5 bucks and they fixed in in about 5 minutes,,, so that doesn't rattle anymore. Couple more nick nacks then were heading to glamis for one more run this season on the 10th i believe...

About the foot peg,,,
I still didnt't make my decision on what to do with that yet...
They guy at motorworld suggested for me to take it to Sam Co in Santee, which was mentioned on this board, and he told me they can cut it off and heat a coil in there or something...
Again, thanx for replys and help guys...

Sand Diego Duner
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

If you want to bring it up to my place... I could get them off and maybe add some filler material with my welder and tap it back out to original size. Maybe do that and go buy some grade 8 bolts to screw in there. I've got time after 5 pm this week or maybe some time on Sunday. Did you get a new clutch lever and pivit? You might also get a new clutch cable while your at it as it makes the pull silky smooth. Give me a call...
Paul

RiChiERich
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by RiChiERich »

that kickstart rattlin thing must be a defect on some. my dads banshee has the same thing..hes had to replace it twice now. and i think it started rattlin on him again last time out. i noticed last time that the seat that the ball bearing sits in was no longer round but was rather oblong. which would rattle the ball bearing around and eventually come out because the spring couldnt hold it. its annoying to hear but hes learned to deal with it. tried of fixing it too..lol what can i say..hes a old man.

on to her bike, man..what a wreck. its like a girl that good lookin from afar but up close. its a disaster zone. good thing its nothing major. just minor little problems. but they do add up. good luck with it jess.

Sand Diego Duner
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Richie I didn't mention the original owner also threw a chain breaking the upper case near the front sprocket. I didn't appear to have any other cracks other than the piece that broke off. No oil leaks that I could spot.

RK

Post by RK »

Ive given up on getting rid of that kick stater rattle, itll come back as sure as the sun rises. Now I just use a small bungie cord, cause I cant stand that rattle!

RoostKing...

sypangirl
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by sypangirl »

Now I just use a small bungie cord, cause I cant stand that rattle!
Haha we tried that too! Then Sand Diego Duner laughes at us :oops: But its ok :)
The bike still needs lots of work but hopefully I'll get it in good condition (some day).
Thanks
Jess

RiChiERich
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by RiChiERich »

just remember jess..you cant have mine..lol the problem solver to the whole kickstart thing is buyin a new one. if its anything like my dads. its probably the ball bearing seat is either wore out or was defected when they made it. those nice shiny billet ones would be a nice upgrade. i figure factory yamaha parts cant be much cheaper. they wanted like 3 bucks just for a lugnut. went to the hardware store and a got them for all 4 tires in chrome for less than that. RIDICULOUS!!

RK

Post by RK »

Spending $80 + for a billet kickstarter to get rid of the rattle is alot of money... Ive just learned to live with it, and the bungie cord..

RoostKing...

Sand Diego Duner
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Well Mike and I got the foot pegs squared away as well as putting a new clutch lever and cable on. The stock clutch lever had a zip tie holding the lever on at the pivit point. The clutch cable was bent in one spot causing some binding. With the new Yamaha Works lever and cable things are silky smooth and now on the fly adjustable. Another couple of things and She will be ready to go.

superduty4x4Dad
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

San Diego duner,

I want to thank you personally for all your efforts in helping out. Your help was priceless to the college kids.

I was told you are a Banshee wiz….I will not buy one unless it’s blessed by you.

Hope to meet you some day …..

Sand Diego Duner
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

I only know what I have learn through the few years of owning my 99 Banshee and all the info I have read through that time. I'm kind of a Mr. Fix-it and I love a challange. It's too bad Mike and Jess got a bum deal and there isn't much they can do now except hope the guy gets his just deserve in the end (maybe a tornado might happen to swerve his way with all those storms in that area, not that I'd wish that on the guy but you never know). One thing I would like to do if I get the chance is to get a shop going... just two stroke repairs and mods. I know what it's like to not have $$$much needed$$$ for the simple things in life and now that I have a bit, I know I can afford to spend a little time helping out good people that are in need. Superduty you'll have to make a trip to Buttercup next season with the group I ride with, most of them are on this board (Jerry Seaver and Tim Wight are just a few that you might have seen on the board recently). I tend to stick with the more mello groups/areas as I don't drink which leads to more riding time and less BSing around camp.

Sand Diego Duner
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

It's alive!! IT'S ALIVE!!!! ALIVE!!!!! Well it's oozing a little life here and there but for the majority it's rideable and could be worthy or being ridden as long as it's close to camp. The supposedly rebuilt carbs are leaking gas like crazy from the float drain. It's only the right side and I think it's missing an o-ring from the drain screw. It could also be the float level but I don't think it is. I told Mike & Jess to take the thing back to the guy that rebuilt the carbs and have him check his work as he rebuilt them but didn't do something right. Jess your going to have a blast with that Banshee once you get the chance to ride it in the dunes.

sypangirl
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by sypangirl »

Jess your going to have a blast with that Banshee once you get the chance to ride it in the dunes.
Ya i hope so after all this :)
Thanks again Paul for all the help!

Return to “Wide Open Sand”