Hey Chuck...Did YOU set a Track Record?

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Hey Chuck...Did YOU set a Track Record?

Post by OBSESSED »

RadRat (Chuck Mobley) how was your Father's day?

Are they sign'n you for full time Nascar?

Did you brake the track record?

Seriously, was it fun?

Are you glad you did it?

Would you recommend it to anyone else?

Tell us...

Steve

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

HECK YES!! It was incredible. You all have to try this.

I got to drive at the California Track this weekend. My wonderful wife bought me 30 mins of driving at Fontana. Now 30 mins doesn't sound like a lot but, it is. Go here for details http://www.drivetech.com

Anyway, let me just say this. I started out slow but, by the end I was turning some awesome laps. I believe the cars top speed is roughly 140mph. That is if you get in and out of the corners sweet. Took me about 20 mins to get the hang of it and not worry about pushing up into the wall. Man it was the most awesome experience. I was hitting the limiter about 3/4 of the way down the front stretch. That's 140!! :) One of the first things you worry about is getting loose but, these cars have awesome grip. So onces I was over that fear, it was then worrying about pushing into the wall coming out of the corners. What a thrill that is climbing up the track inches from the wall. Man!! Sweet stuff.

I would love to have some of you join me next time. Do a group thing. It's about 700 dollars for 30 mins. That's 20 mins and then a pit and then 10 more mins. It's worth every cent. I'm going for the Hot Laps next time cuz after you go thru the training class you don't have to the next time.

If I can talk my sweetie into it I need 40 mins. :)

So who's game? The next one is in August sometime. Then I think Sept.

I bet Mikey(Rx4insandity) would love this. Eh Mike, you game?
Chuck Mobley, Dunecologist
VP DUNERS
"The highest priority ought to be human life and the property of citizens."

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

Kewl Chuck, I'd like to do it...->>
It's about 700 dollars for 30 mins.
Might be out of my league.

Bohica
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Bohica »

I did that same class last year and had a blast. Wife bought it for me as a gift, with the stipulation that I wasn't buying a racecar when I was done. Well, I'm not getting a racecar, but the next best thing - a new Funco. :D That wall can sure be intimidating when you first start out, the g's make it seem that your gonna go straight into it. It's totally mind over matter, your brain is telling you to let off the gas, but soon you realize that the car is set up where you don't have to. I was running out front the entire time and the next thing I know, the guy on the radio is telling me to move left and let the car behind me pass. I was kinda pissed becuase that car was nowhere near me. After the class in the recap meeting I asked why he told me to slow up. He said I wanted you to have the feeling of what it's like to run behind someone. My 7 year old daughter was talking about it the other day, and said to my wife, "remember when daddy was racing those cars, and then he got a big head when the told him how fast he was going." I'd be up for some hot laps again. Doing it with a group of friends would be a blast.

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

And the guy with the biggest ego

goes into the wall

:lol:

Steve

Out of the way oldtimers, this kid needs to dune!Image

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

My wonderful wife bought me 30 mins of driving at Fontana. Chuck M.
What a gal! how much insurance you got Chuck; she's not trying to get rid of you is she? just kidding, of course; always wondered what it would be like to drive on some of the tracks and what kind of speed a guy could get up to with some time in the car; not a place for a hotshot to get over his head.

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

I have to tell you, it was very awesome. At first I was nervous, not because I may crash and get hurt but, more that I didn't want to mess up anyone's fun and I didn't want to hurt the car. But, like Dytmagic said the cars are setup perfectly for it. I went slow at first just to get the feel of the car and to knock out the jitters but, after that it was on.

Once you realize that if you keep your line you won't hit the wall. Just looks like it. And that's the thrill of it. :)

If you ever get the chance to drive I wouldn't pass it up. It's very awesome. Duning a perfect line at G is still better tho.. :)
VP DUNERS

rhartley
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by rhartley »

I will be there in Sept. are you on the track alone with out a pace car ?
We Did the Richard Petty school last year Top speed on the Vegas track was ONLY 132 mph. And we had a pace car in front of us to keep the EGO's from going into the wall :roll: In our group of people one of the
guys decieded on the last lap to try and pass the pace car and there is no rev limiter on those cars We know because exiting turn 2 he dropped into 3rd and nailed it, He almost succeded in passing the pace car, However those drivers are pretty darn good at their job and was more than able to drop down and put the block on him. It was actually kinda hard to keep a straight face while he was getting his arse chewed BIG time afterwards.
If youv'e ever wanted to try it YOU GOTTA DO IT. It's one of those things
you will never forget.

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

rhartley wrote:I will be there in Sept. are you on the track alone with out a pace car ?

Yeah, no pace car.. It's sweet. Your not alone tho.. there are 7 other drivers. At least in my class there was.

Since you did that course they may let you just do Hot Laps. That means no class time. :)

In order to pass the other car(s) they have a system where the spotter tells you to wave your right hand and pull to the left and let completely off the gas. Then the other car(s) can pass. If everyone is cool the driving experience is exellent. But, if you get a dork in there it can ruin it for everyone. It's a 2 mile oval so you can spread out pretty good. It's really up to all 7 of us to make sure we are spread out good before the green flag.

BTW don't buy the in car video it sucks. Waste of money.
Thank god I had Ashlee filming it.. She did a pretty good job for her first time doing a race.
VP DUNERS

crash

Post by crash »

Wow...$700.00 sounds a little expensive. To run a car at the local short track for an entire season is only about $2500.00. Assuming, of course, that you don't have crash damage(yea right). There are also programs that allow amatuers to run their street cars on closed circuit road race courses very cheaply. I'm talking under $100.00. You run as much as you want, as fast as you want, for the entire day. We had a guy run for over six hours in an eight hour day!! He, and his car were very tired by the end of it. If anyone wants more info let me know.
BTW-We are getting ready to sell a couple of our short track cars because we are moving up to a faster class, anyone interested in running them just drop me a line. We primarily run at El Cajon Speedway in San Diego, and would be happy to help any "newbies." Our cars are always fast, having been in the top five in year end points the last five years, winning last year, and leading the points this year. You may be surprised at how affordable this sport is. I think my buggy cost me about five or six times what the short track car cost me to build.

Jason G
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Jason G »

Hey you should talk to them about there 50/50 program. Its a deal that the have which requires you to only pay 50% and they put you on a waiting list for the next open unreserved spot. They call you a week ahead of time to let you know when to show up. Thats what I did and it only cost $400. It did take them about a month to get us in but, that was because there was three of us and we all wanted to go together. It was a really awsome experence and I still would pay double to do it again. (hey Chuck how fast did the van get up to).

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

Jason i'm not sure, I didn't look at the speed. I'm not even sure how fast the car went. I just know I had it floored coming out of the corner.. :) The instructed did say we would be cruising at about 60mph behind the pace car. Doesn't seem like it tho.

Kewl thing about it all is you notice the more you do it the sooner your mashing the gas coming out of the corner. G forces are great.

And you're right about the 50% thing. I'm gonna' signup for that. And Crash it's worth the money for sure. Nothing like a well set up fast car on a 2 mile oval. :) I am going to try the El Cajon track one someday tho. Hope i'm not disappointed with the slow speeds.
VP DUNERS

porboy
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by porboy »

Let me know when you want to do the Cajon one Chuck. I would love to give it a go. Plus I could show you how to drive, you little beeootch! :lol:

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

porboy wrote:Let me know when you want to do the Cajon one Chuck. I would love to give it a go. Plus I could show you how to drive, you little beeootch! :lol:
Bring it on my brother. Brings it..

I'm thinking sometime in August.. or early Sept. I know there is a date somewhere in there.. I'll check let you know when we are at SA. OH YEA 5 more days kiddies.. :)
VP DUNERS

crash

Post by crash »

Hey Chucko....I've race at over 170 mph, but I can tell you, 90 mph on a 3/8 paved oval is more than fast enough...especially for a novice like yourself!

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

Swweeet then. I'll try it.. kewl.. thanks.
VP DUNERS

Return to “Wide Open Sand”