How fast do you pull your trailer?

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

What is your average hwy speed when pulling a trailer

55-60
11%
61-65
43%
66-70
24%
71-75
18%
76 and up
3%

Total votes: 116

quad1100
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

How fast do you pull your trailer?

Post by quad1100 »

I was behind this guy a few weeks ago, I happened to get on the freeway right as he was driving by. He had a 40ft trailer and pickup truck, did not notice which one, but he was averaging at least 80 mph. I never did catch him, I had a little flat bed on my truck and just don't feel comfortable going that fast with a trailer. So I pose the question, what do you guys do?

OldManx
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by OldManx »

I just set the cruise at 65 and let all the idiots go on by.....NOT in that big a hurry....There are a LOT of people out there who have no clue how to tow a trailer (80 mph. in the car pool lane) Just my humble $ .02... :wink:
Bill
El Presidente de DualSport Buggies
DualSport Buggies / DUNERS / Manx Dune Buggy Club
http://www.dualsportbuggies.com
http://www.duners.org
http://www.manxclub.com

"...that's my opinion, and it ought'a be your's too..."

kev
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by kev »

I will tow between 65 and 70, but I have a 16 foot tow hauler. When I go to Utah the speed limit is 75 after you pass the Las Vegas speed way. It gets a little scarey when a semi pulling a triple trailer goes by at 85 :shock:

Greg Hall
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Greg Hall »

60-65mph is enough for me. If I am passing I may hit 70 but will back it down as soon as I can...actually spend more time at 60 than 65 in most cases.

If I happen to be traveling with my dad he likes to run between 65 & 75 (75 if mom is resting in the back!) so I will up it to about 68-70 max and let him back off a little.
Greg Hall
KG6IAT
http://www.hallsengine.com
Visiting and helping to protect the dunes since 1962

http://www.RideOcotilloWells.com

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
'06 KDX 200..my son's bike
KX 100 My 11 year old son's
KFX 400 also my son's bike
LT 500..all mine

Fuzzy Knight
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Fuzzy Knight »

We have a 32 ft M/H and I pull a 24ft toy box and we usually run at 65 mph. I have run it to 80 to pass but come back down to 65. Just not really comfortable running faster with that much weight.
Fuzzy
If every thing seems under control Your not going fast enough!
1986 250R
1986 250R CT 350 Kit
1986 250R Ct 350 PV Kit
1928 Model A Roadster
1953 Ford Club Coupe
1963 Fairlane 500 SportsCoupe
1963 1/2 Falcon Ranchero Original Factory V8 4 Speed

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Washroad »

I set my cruise on the motorhome at 62-63. Not making much time wise, but fuel economy is much better and seems to be right in the power curve of the engine.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

desertsteve
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by desertsteve »

Think about this ; WHAT IS YOUR SAFETY WORTH ?. How many of you have had a close call while driving your truck without a trailer ?. Now multiply that experience times 4x ? or maybe 40x !. Its one thing to stop suddenly when going straight and your front to rear bias is set just right, but sudden stops are a whole different ball game !, just add a slight turn at the wheel or a bend in the road ------ could spell disaster!, 0 control.

GOT SEATBELTS !!., INSURANCE !!!

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Here in AZ I'll normally cruise at 55-65 and feel comfortable....except around 65. Something about the tires on my truck 65 is really scary. Anything higher or lower is fine but 65 gets a nasty shake in the front end....had them balanced a couple of times and still right at 65 I get a shake....but it smooths out by 68.

I can tow at 70-75 but just don't trust my trailer to stand up to it. There's a lot of flex in it and the tires have seen better days. And when I'm towing I'm not in a hurry.

Once I hit CA it's 55 all the way. I don't need any tickets and even doing 55 it's less than an hour to Glamis so why push it?

desertsteve
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by desertsteve »

Not that I am a fan of the 55 mph, I cant drive 55!!. Thanks to DUNES EDGE and crew I can drive as fast as ____ ? and I only have to drive 55 with the trailer for 10 miles !!!.

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

Fast-faster-fastest!

If the front wheels of your MH are doing 95 mph....

what are your trailer wheels doing?

Hauling A-$$

OK do not try this at home or anywhere else....

Leaving Gabbs Nevada- On Hwy 361 south.

As you crest the last rise, there is a streach of Highway, I have been down a couple of times coming home from Sand Mountain Nevada.

10 miles before Luning it's a straight drop, about a 10% + grade.

"Hey Doug, what's the fastest you ever been in a MH?"

I asked (as my wife dosed along the ride.)

"I don't remember, but I get the felling I am going to find out"

75-85-95....105mph

OH heck lets make it fun.

Click it into "Mexican Overdrive"

"$#it-S#it-"I yelled as the computer shut off engine.

No steering, and some thrills....

Seems computer didn't believe speedo was saying 100 and doing 800 rpms...

I try to re-start, twice, finally and then I rev up enging before I pull it back into overdrive.....

Another day, another story....

AND, she never even woke up!

Good thing I traded in that MH....

23,000 lb and falling fast :lol:

SB

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President

Post by Vincent J Brunasso »

Interesting topic.

I guess I'm more analytical than most. But I have to be with my rig. 21' Class C with a pretty short wheelbase towing a 10,000 GVW 22" box trailer.

I drive to what the conditions give me. If I'm on a downgrade, light traffic, I can see way ahead, and I'm "light" I'll let it go up to 70-75. If there's wind, I'll back it off until I feel comfortable. Flat, straight and level 65-70 depending how smooth the road is, my load, traffic, and the wind. On city freeways 60-65. Night time I back off and shoot for 60-65 most of the time unless conditions say slower. I try to avoid towing at night to the best of my abilities. Under all conditions, if I have a sudden stop, my hand is on the brake controller to nail it pretty hard to keep me straight. With that short WB, it would be real easy to get sidways.
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

I'm not a fan of 55 either, but 10 over is just fine with me, in most cases you can relax and not have to worry about the leo's. Sometimes I will inch up to 70 but on average it is 65 or less. I set the cruise control on 65 and crank up the XM radio and I get there when I get there!

desertsteve
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by desertsteve »

Vincent J Brunasso wrote:Interesting topic.

I guess I'm more analytical than most. But I have to be with my rig. 21' Class C with a pretty short wheelbase towing a 10,000 GVW 22" box trailer.

I drive to what the conditions give me. If I'm on a downgrade, light traffic, I can see way ahead, and I'm "light" I'll let it go up to 70-75. If there's wind, I'll back it off until I feel comfortable. Flat, straight and level 65-70 depending how smooth the road is, my load, traffic, and the wind. On city freeways 60-65. Night time I back off and shoot for 60-65 most of the time unless conditions say slower. I try to avoid towing at night to the best of my abilities. Under all conditions, if I have a sudden stop, my hand is on the brake controller to nail it pretty hard to keep me straight. With that short WB, it would be real easy to get sidways.

I know you and me, or all of us that tow dont drive with with one hand on the controller expecting a " sudden " stop!. Thats the point !

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

Oh yea....

Today on the 91 Freeway going home around 2:20pm Through Corona.

A yokle driving a U-HAUL Box truck towing a Ford exploder on a 2 axle u-hauler trailer.

Arizona Plates, going west bound.

Dammmmm doin' 75 in the FAST Lane!

Trailer weaving back and forth.

I had a vision, I needed to get around him fast!

Stupid traffic.

Only way was to go into the car pool lane, gas it by, and then safely exit back into the fast lane.

Thank gawd for window tint and 460 cid.

Where's a Chippy when ya need one? :roll:

SB

BTW new MH pulled the Whitewater Grade (west bound going home) Sunday towing trailer at 57 mph at top.

azsandrider

Post by azsandrider »

I have a 36' Diesel Pusher with a 24' and weigh out at 32,000# when loaded (I go to the dunes water lite and fill up when I get there).

In Az, where the speed limit is 75 for ALL vehicles, I usually cruise around 73 mph and get 8mph. I slow down a little going up a couple hills, and speed up a little going down hills.

I slow down to around 63 mph in California, where they have that UNSAFE speed restriction on vehicles towing trailers, causing trucks and RVs to slow down, creating "moving roadblocks" to the other traffic on the roadway. (I'm glad Az studied this and threwthis idea out as unsafe!)

Anyway, a person should not drive over their abilities, anywhere. There is a proper place and time to speed up with your rig. Adverse weather conditions or heavy traffic is not one of them. Even a sudden gust of crosswing on an otherwise straight, empty freeway can cause serious consequences if unexpected or a poorly setup rig.

I have extensive driving experience in all types of vehicles, including RVs. I've had a 24' enclosed trailer come off the back of a RV at 75 mph and controlled it to a stop with no damage (proper length safety chains and I learned the value of a break-a-way device, which this trailer didn't have) and I've had a front tire blow at 80 going down Telegraph Pass (that was not fun).

The important thing is not to PANIC. If the RV goes off the road, don't jerk it back on and/or slam on the brakes. Gradually drive the RV back on to the road and gradually apply the brakes.

Some people have litle experience, set their rigs up wrong, with unbalanced loads, and the first gust of wind causes great difficulty for them.

I'm always expecting an emergency and constantly plan out recovery moves. The "what if" game, because it can happen to you....
(The above statement is my own opinion and not that of the ASA's.)

T. Wight
Mesa, AZ.
ASA Supporting Member
ASA Volunteer

Is your spouse an ASA member??? Numbers count!!

Bob Tenwick

Post by Bob Tenwick »

desertsteve wrote:
Vincent J Brunasso wrote:Interesting topic.

I know you and me, or all of us that tow dont drive with with one hand on the controller expecting a " sudden " stop!. Thats the point !
Well, if your hand isn't "on" it you should at least be able to get there pretty **** quick. It only takes one gust, combined with an off camber curve, maybe throw in an eighteen wheeler passing, and you're in "Weave-Ville". Regardless how severe that isn't the time to execute an emergency stop. A hand on the trailer brakes isn't a bad idea.

I usually plod along at 65. My gas mileage sucks so bad, plus my trailer is so heavy I don't have a lot of choice, lol.

And yes, I watch out for U Haul trailers. As a matter of fact I watch out for mini vans too. It used to be Dodge Darts were the worst drivers on the road. Mini vans take the prize now. I would say 50% of them should be classified as road hazards. :shock:

TroyB

Post by TroyB »

With a 27' class c and a 26' inclosed its 60 to 65 for me.

On the way home from the last trip I was in the #2 lane(on a 3 lane hwy) on the 10 just past the 86. A truck about 100 yrds in front of me in the #1 lane had a ladder blow out of the back of the truck, it landed in the path of the car that was next to me. He swerved into my lane and I swerved to avoid him. Thank god that there was nobody next to me in the #1 lane. The trailer swayed allot and could feel the mh struggle to control it. Scared the hell out me and the wife. I looked in the mirror to see a huge gap in traffic as everybody braked to avoid what could of been a very nasty accident.

TroyB

Post by TroyB »

OldManx wrote:I just set the cruise at 65 and let all the idiots go on by.....NOT in that big a hurry....There are a LOT of people out there who have no clue how to tow a trailer (80 mph. in the car pool lane) Just my humble $ .02... :wink:
Cant use the cruise control, the mh tries way to hard to maintain a set speed.

There are also people on the road that dont know how to drive.

JET

Post by JET »

So all of you that drive in California are admitted criminals. Since the legal speed limit for towing a trailer is 55. I guess that is a rule or law that just doesn't make sense (which I agree) so ignore it.

That is why people that don't like flags don't have them, ride double, go fast whereever they want to, etc.

But those people are bad. The law is the law and we should obey all the rules. Right?

Ironic isn't it? :shock:

Bob Tenwick

Post by Bob Tenwick »

JET wrote:So all of you that drive in California are admitted criminals. Since the legal speed limit for towing a trailer is 55. I guess that is a rule or law that just doesn't make sense (which I agree) so ignore it.

That is why people that don't like flags don't have them, ride double, go fast whereever they want to, etc.

But those people are bad. The law is the law and we should obey all the rules. Right?

I could care less if people don't use flags, I just hope they don't whine when I run them over. I don't care if people ride double. I don't care if people go fast wherever they want to either, as long as it isn't by my camp. Endanger my kids and we're at war. I also don't care if people speed on the freeway within reason. Anybody breaking any of these laws is guilty of an infraction and deserves a ticket. I also wouldn't expect anyone to whine about receiving a ticket for the aforementioned. The difference is you're much more likely to get cited for riding double than going 65 towing a trailer. It's the old risk/reward thing...

Now, how did I know ahead of time that bb members would get skewered by some for admitting they've broken the speed law on the freeway? :o

toroflow
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by toroflow »

Slow and sure is the way for me in my old age...just gotta keep my wife outta the driver's seat...I can tell how fast she's going without looking at the speedo, them 42" Super Swampers sing a loud song when cruising at 85 towing 8500 pounds of barge!!!! :shock:

SANDMAN
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by SANDMAN »

JET wrote:So all of you that drive in California are admitted criminals. Since the legal speed limit for towing a trailer is 55. I guess that is a rule or law that just doesn't make sense (which I agree) so ignore it.

The difference is....me towing at 55mph creates a danger, because Iam now impeding traffic, since no one goes 55mph.

A duner without a flag creates a danger for him and me.

DUH :roll: Its just a matter of Common Sense...Jeff
Pete De Palma
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Hoss
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Hoss »

Yes the speed limit is 55. You can do 60 without the CHP looking at you. Im average like most people set the cruise at 65, 28" toy hauler. Quads, water, etc. 10,000lbs. Whats my crew cab diesel weight 6600-6800lbs. A little weight difference if you have to make a sudden stop, thank god for 4-wheel disc brakes. Take a look at your rear end differential, paint peeling off the cover, your rear end oil has gotten pretty hot. I found the excessive speeds play a big part in this. More speed, more load. Friction creates heat. Heat, a bad word for mechcanical thingys. :wink:
The older I get, the faster I was.

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench »

My Nissan V-6 and 3500# trailer will cruise nice at 60-65, unless there are 18 wheelers blowing by me at 80+ creating a nasty vortex, or a good cross wind, or a steep hill, etc. etc. etc. Last trip home from Mother G , with NO trailer I followed 3 vehicals towing trailers at about 80!! I didn't know a Ford would run that fast!! Must have had a V10, cause a Power JOKE Diesel won't do that, at least not without overheating. I'm sorry for using the "F" word. :wink: :wink: :P :P
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
08 GMC 2500HD 4X4 CC LB Dizzel
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

Sandemon
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Sandemon »

I try to stay between 60 and 65 on the open road, I like to think that I have outgrown my younger and more reckless days when I used to make a run twice a week from Stockton to L.A. in a fully loaded semi in 4 hours (just over 300 miles) looking back, not the best idea. And Jeff the Statute of Limitations has already run out. 8) :)
The ORIGINAL Sandemon
Member of D.U.N.E.R.
Go Hard or Go HomePick Up Your Trash

JET

Post by JET »

Bob Tenwick wrote:

I could care less if people don't use flags, I just hope they don't whine when I run them over. I don't care if people ride double. I don't care if people go fast wherever they want to either, as long as it isn't by my camp. Endanger my kids and we're at war. I also don't care if people speed on the freeway within reason. Anybody breaking any of these laws is guilty of an infraction and deserves a ticket. I also wouldn't expect anyone to whine about receiving a ticket for the aforementioned. The difference is you're much more likely to get cited for riding double than going 65 towing a trailer. It's the old risk/reward thing...

Now, how did I know ahead of time that bb members would get skewered by some for admitting they've broken the speed law on the freeway? :o
I got a ticket for going 67 with a trailer. On the 91 freeway in Corona. No whining, just paid it.

And if what I just pointed out is getting skewered, there are some very sensitive types here.

Fortunately the checkered flag program doesn't cover the freeway...

Bob Tenwick

Post by Bob Tenwick »

JET wrote: Fortunately the checkered flag program doesn't cover the freeway...
That checkered flag sends chills down the enviro's spines too... :oops:

MattV

Post by MattV »

The 55mph speed limitin Kalifornia is bad in a numbr of ways. As Tim has already pointed out, it creates a tremendous speed differential between vehicles. This is very bad. Especially on a controlled access road.

At the end of 2002, we drove through Kali to Oregon. After about 100 miles obeying the 55mph limit with the torque converter unlocked, I figured that it would be cheaper to pay a traffic fine than rebuild a transmission and buy 25% more fuel. So, I did my usual 65-70 mph towing speed the rest of the way. Saw three or four CHP units each direction and they never seemed all that interested in me...

Matt
Water is just beer that hasn't reached its full potential.

desertsteve
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by desertsteve »

One of the closest calls I have ever had was I-8 driving down the grade at night into the desert before ocotillo wells, I came upon a semi doing 20/30 mph I was doing 55/60 towing a buggy on a 16' tandem. scared the crap outta me !. The fast lane was not an option because their was a car right there !. Moral of the story: BRAKES !!!!!. Make sure they work.

proglamis
ASA Transportation Vice Chair
ASA Transportation Vice Chair

Post by proglamis »

Too fast. I just got a ticket on the new stretch of 86 by the new Arco. I have a detector and my friend behind me had a detector and a jammer. As I was passing two semis on the left, I saw him behind a dirt embankment. My detector went off but it was too late. I squeezed between the semis but he squeezed in behind me. He said that I was going with the flow of traffic but the speed limit with a trailer was 55mph. I had been doing between 80 and 85mph but I think my friends jammer messed up his reading so he only wrote me down for 65+.

When I take a trailer to Glamis, it's usually overfull. But when I come home, it's usually empty. The trailer is a 4x8 foot open box trailer with full size tires on it and tows really well. It had about 40 golfcart and car batteries in it. I decided to do a little house cleaning while I was out there. It's a good thing he didn't write me up for that. I found out that legally you can only haul 125 lbs. and I was way over that. Tickets for illegally hauling hazardous waste is a huge fine.

BTW, I've seen CHP's at that same place now a couple of time. It's a real speed trap.

Craig

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench »

From what I have seen and been told, the C H P targets "Unsafe Driving".
They are looking for people who make unsafe lane changes, Tailgating, etc. That does NOT mean your safe to go more than the speed limit, but it's a matter of not enough cops and too many lawbreakers, so they go for the worst offenders. On I 15 to Vegas (And Dumont), virtually everyone is running 75+ and very few get stopped, I was on my way home last year and passed a C H P in the divider with radar, he had me doing at least 80 mph and pulled into the fast lane and was about to catch up to me, I moved in between some trucks figuring he was about to stop me, when a Honda who was whipping in and out of lanes blew by both of us. Thanks whoever you are, he beat a path for the Honda and waved to Me as he left.
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

LTZ 400
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by LTZ 400 »

Thanks whoever you are, he beat a path for the Honda and waved to Me as he left.
And whoever said that Hondas weren't good for anything?

David

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench »

YEP, one of those with the loud pipe and lowered suspension and tinted windows, saved me a couple hundred bucks!! Thanks Mr Honda and thanks to the wife for being a sleep, or I still would be hearing some noise in my right ear!!
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

Mr Big Wrench wrote:YEP, one of those with the loud pipe and lowered suspension and tinted windows, saved me a couple hundred bucks!! Thanks Mr Honda and thanks to the wife for being a sleep, or I still would be hearing some noise in my right ear!!
Bet you slowed down the rest of the trip :)

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench »

Yes I did slow down for the remainder of that trip, but it seems to have worn off somewhat, I seem to be right back up to the 80+ again, at least until she wakes up or the local LEO's cruise by. :oops:
While were still on the subject of towing, I hope no one has a blow out at those speeds, I know some one who had a blow out on the trailer, the extra load and flying debris blew the other tire, He had a LAAARGE wet spot on the seat, he did manage to slow down and stop without any major damage. :shock:
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

I'm not proud to admit it, but I once towed a trailer at 120 mph behind a 5.0 mustang. It was one of those stupid "youth" things. Now of course I realize how dangerous that was to everyone on the road. If you were on Hwy 10, coming home from the river in the summer of '85, I apologize.

Now I usually tow my 24' toy hauler at about 65. Like someone else said, that puts me in the right part of the power band and I get the best mileage. Not too mention, it's much easier on the tow vehicle.

I recently sold the hauler though and step up to a 32' M/H with a 16' enclosed trailer. Haven't had it out to "G" yet so i'll have to advise one that later.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

TLB
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by TLB »

I too have towed above the speed limit :(

I'm a little older, & wiser now :D
Mirage 2 seat, 2.8 multiport fuel injected V6 Chevy

aSa Supporting Member 8)

LTZ 400
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by LTZ 400 »

Glamisbound wrote:I'm not proud to admit it, but I once towed a trailer at 120 mph behind a 5.0 mustang. It was one of those stupid "youth" things. Now of course I realize how dangerous that was to everyone on the road. If you were on Hwy 10, coming home from the river in the summer of '85, I apologize.

That was you??? :twisted:
You almost ran me off the bleepin' road. Don't do it again! :lol:

Funny how speed doesn't affect mileage with my moho. 31' Southwind 460 Ford C-6 trans. Towing the 18' open trailer full of quads or with a car I still get 5-6 mpg. Slightly better if I keep it 60-65.

David

christinegriffin17
1st Gear Member

How Fast Do I pull a Trailer

Post by christinegriffin17 »

We have a 45' weekend warrior load it with a buggy, 3 atv's and a bike, add two fuel tanks, a full tank of water and you have a trailer that will push you where ever IT wants to go.

The first trip with this trailer was from San Diego out to Yuma and it wasn't loaded with sand toys because we were going to the river. At the checkpoint by Felicity on Hwy 8. Out of the clear blue we got caught in the middle of a police chasing a stolen Big Rig.

The big rig drove from the right shoulder to the center divide right in front of a group of us. I tried to stop without hitting my mom's RV in front of me (which was towing my two PWC) and ended up in the center divide in the blink of an eye. Luckily I was able to throttle up and pull out without getting stuck and back on the highway.

If the rig had been fully loaded, or I had been going faster than the posted speed limit, I would have flipped the rig. It was a clear day, no wind, smooth sailing. You just never know what is going to happen.

Drive as safe as you can because you won't get to your destination on time if you get pulled over for speeding, have an accident or worse yet, get killed.

Quit thinking about how fast you can go and think about your family and what they would do if you never make it!!!!
Christine Griffin
http://www.sandsationalsound.com

Member of SDORC, ASA, ORBA, AWA, IJSBA, Goodguys and the NHRA
Legislative Advocate for American Watercraft Assoc. & International Jet Sport Boating Assoc. (Personal Watercraft)
Ride Safe & Have Fun!!!!

Fuzzy Knight
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Fuzzy Knight »

One of the things I haven't seen mentioned until CG17 said something is the weight differential between the tow rig and the towed unit. I have always been told that your tow vehicle should weigh more than the unit you are towing. Mine is about 2 to 1. M/H weighs twice what the trailer and toys weighs. I have seen a few instances where the tail will wag the dog and BOY is that scary :shock: :shock: The guys towing a 30-35 ft WW full of toys must weigh about 15 to 17K with a 8000lb truck! Bad ratio! IMHO. And as someone said Check and make sure the Brakes WORK!!!!!!
Fuzzy
1986 250R
1986 250R CT 350 Kit
1986 250R Ct 350 PV Kit
1928 Model A Roadster
1953 Ford Club Coupe

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

fuzzy knight wrote:One of the things I haven't seen mentioned until CG17 said something is the weight differential between the tow rig and the towed unit. I have always been told that your tow vehicle should weigh more than the unit you are towing. Mine is about 2 to 1. M/H weighs twice what the trailer and toys weighs. I have seen a few instances where the tail will wag the dog and BOY is that scary :shock: :shock: The guys towing a 30-35 ft WW full of toys must weigh about 15 to 17K with a 8000lb truck! Bad ratio! IMHO. And as someone said Check and make sure the Brakes WORK!!!!!!
Fuzzy
That's what I always thought too, but when you look at how the big 3 market there goods, those 8k lb trucks are rated at pulling 15k lbs. I pull about a 8k lb trailer with mine and it works really good. Don't know how it would be with 7k more lbs?

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

I pulled lots of loads heavier than the tow vehicle. Sure, it was a set of doubles, but the 67,000 lbs of trailer being pulled by a 13,000 lb tractor was no problem. You need to load correctly, and make sure you have enough brakes to stop the thing!
I went down the hill on the 101 going to Ventura with loaded vans of produce, stepped on the brakes and that truck didn't even slow down! Hmmmm, says I. What now? Press brake pedal harder, not much. Look in mirror, tow dolly under rear trailer is smoking a lot! Rear of tractor is smoking some too! Not good. Speedometer and tach are starting to go up a bit. Now I'm going 45 mph downhill and I can't stop! At least it's only 3 am and no one is around. Shift to higher gear, step on throttle and outrun the possible fire. Get to flat ground finally. Foot off throttle, start braking easy, slow down, finally stop on shoulder of road. Get out of tractor, adjust all the brakes (only takes a 9/16" box wrench). Check underwear. Good to go.
So, if you're going to tow something really heavy, and I know a lot of the new trucks are rated to tow big loads (I know a properly equipped Chevy with the Duramax can tow almost 20,000 lbs.) make sure you have enough brakes to stop!
Stay aware of what you're doing at all times!
Don't drive faster than the situation!
Don't drive beyond your abilities!
Lessons learned after I drove 1million accident-free miles in trucks.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

Fuzzy Knight
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Fuzzy Knight »

Washroad
How many pair of underwear did you go thru in a million miles?????????? :lol:
Fuzzy
1986 250R
1986 250R CT 350 Kit
1986 250R Ct 350 PV Kit
1928 Model A Roadster
1953 Ford Club Coupe

Mouse
1st Gear Member

Post by Mouse »

We drive about 70-75 in AZ where that is the posted limit. Once we hit CA we drive the 55. Like anything else, if your vehicle isn't safely loaded and equipped with good brakes and tires your a hazzard just waiting to happen. As for what ifs, bad things can happen at any speed. Hopefully your lucky enough not to panick and react safely.
Michelle

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

fuzzy knight,
GAWD! ! ! ! :shock: LOTS! ! ! ! ! :shock: :lol:
Ask Sandemon, he'll probably tell you the same thing!!! :D
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

CrashingSucks
ASA Advertising Chair
ASA Advertising Chair

Post by CrashingSucks »

fuzzy knight wrote:One of the things I haven't seen mentioned until CG17 said something is the weight differential between the tow rig and the towed unit. I have always been told that your tow vehicle should weigh more than the unit you are towing. Mine is about 2 to 1. M/H weighs twice what the trailer and toys weighs. I have seen a few instances where the tail will wag the dog and BOY is that scary :shock: :shock: The guys towing a 30-35 ft WW full of toys must weigh about 15 to 17K with a 8000lb truck! Bad ratio! IMHO. And as someone said Check and make sure the Brakes WORK!!!!!!
Fuzzy

I have a 03 Excursion V10
I pull a WW 30ft with 4 quads. All the junk in them and 2 dogs. I leave with no water. The truck weighs in about 9k pounds last time I went to the dump. I assume My set-up weighs around 12-14k on the trailor end. Let me tell you i wish my excursion was bigger! All I can say is THANK GOD for PRODIGY brake controllers! I just dont know of a bigger truck that weighs more then a excursion? I herd that same line that you should be bigger then what your towing?? But then again how do big rigs pull 2 million tuns???
2004 30 ft Weekend Warrior
2004 Ltz 400
2004 Ltz 400 modified
2004 Ltz 160
2002 Blaster way modified *now a stage 3 on race gas ahem i mean a 240 cc on race gas :)

2003 Excursion (NEVER BUY THE V10!!)

Sold the gas hog now a 2004 F350 TURBO Diesel

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench »

I think MOST trailers weigh more that the tow vehical, A tractor pulling doubles/triples, or a empty dump truck pulling a trailer/Backhoe as I have experience with, so it boils down to loading it right and as others have said GOOD BRAKES on the trailer. The brakes should be capable of stopping the trailer on there own. I have a class A CDL and work on Brakes on large trucks/trailers. Make sure that the electric brake controller is adjusted properly and that all wheels with brakes work and are adjusted properly. You can check this on a dirt road with someone helping, Manually set the trailer brakes on the controller while driving and have someone observe if all the wheels slide in the dirt/sand, it might take two tries to see both sides. You might need to turn up the power knob to get them to slide. If you have surge brakes it probably wont work this way, but if you jam on the tow vehical brakes it might work well enough to skid the trailer brakes, There is a fitting on the hydraulic brake master cylinder that limits the amount of fluid that can flow to the wheel cylinders, sorry I don't know any sure way of checking surge brakes. Just remember, the faster you are going the more room you need to stop and the more chances of the trailer doing something to soil your shorts, as the guys that have truck driving experience will say, most of the time it's someone else that will cause you to panic stop or get in an accident.
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

Fuzzy Knight
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Fuzzy Knight »

Crashing sucks!!
Please don't take me wrong about being on the other end of the ratio. I was not attempting to pick on those of you who do this. That is just my humble opinion. We are lucky enough to have a big M/H which puts us on the other end of the ratio. I think the big semi truck deal is safer and can handle it because of how the trailer is attached to the tow vehicle. With the first trailer sitting over the rear axel like a 5th and the other trailer being 4 on the ground and not resting on the tow vehicle. 5ths are much safer in my opinion as they don't put so much leverage on the rear of the chassis as do tow behinds.
Fuzzy
PS I love my V10
1986 250R
1986 250R CT 350 Kit
1986 250R Ct 350 PV Kit
1928 Model A Roadster
1953 Ford Club Coupe

Sandemon
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Sandemon »

Washroad wrote:fuzzy knight,
GAWD! ! ! ! :shock: LOTS! ! ! ! ! :shock: :lol:
Ask Sandemon, he'll probably tell you the same thing!!! :D
You can say that again Brian!
If I NEVER lose my brakes AGAIN, it will be to soon, that has got to be one of the worst things that anyone can ever experience (I've done it 3 times and hope to never do it again) I have gone down that same hill that Brian was talking about with 18000 lbs of tractor and 123000 of trailer but at least my brakes stayed working. :twisted: 8) :)
The ORIGINAL Sandemon
Member of D.U.N.E.R.
Go Hard or Go HomePick Up Your Trash

A Family of 4
ASA Legislative Affairs Representative
ASA Legislative Affairs Representative

Post by A Family of 4 »

I would say we average about 65-70. It all depends on a couple of things:

towing the 36' WW, empty, bikes only, bikes and Jeep or just the Jeep. Now, it also depends if we have an uphill grade, downhill grade, tailwind or headwind.... :shock:

towing the boat, the same factors - grades vs wind

I must say, that a 5th wheel handles much better than a tongue trailer....
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

-Ronald Reagan

Return to “Wide Open Sand”