Time to re-schedule the rally?

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

The Oldtimer
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Time to re-schedule the rally?

Post by The Oldtimer »

Friday is a national day of mourning for President Reagan. Any polititian that does anything other than respecting that occasion is committing political suicide. The GAGs will have a field day at our expense.

It's time to re-schedule the rally to a more appropriate time.
Frankie

Member of the ASA

Bohica
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Bohica »

I agree, protest should be postponed to a later date.

SANDUNERS
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by SANDUNERS »

Frankie your answer can be found here:

http://www.americansandassociation.org/ ... hp?t=15204

The Protest is still ON, come join others to pay tribute on Friday... :D
Nothing is achieved without effort --- the fundamental force that brings success...:)

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???
Proud 2005 JRS Award recipient :P

flashpoint
1st Gear Member

Post by flashpoint »

You are going to pay tribute to a President that openly disliked protests and rallys at a protest and rally! Makes no sence!

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Washroad »

Reagan was against too much government intrusion in our lives. He would support the cause behind this ralley at the least.

Senator Morrow is still scheduled to appear! He's going to give a tribute to Reagan!
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

flashpoint
1st Gear Member

Post by flashpoint »

I will respectfully disagree. I feel it should be done on a different day! My.02

The Oldtimer

Post by The Oldtimer »

It ain't the "cause"...it's the timing I'm concerned with.
Frankie

Member of the ASA

SailAway

Post by SailAway »

Last week Jim Colln sent me a PM about the fact that I haven't been talking much about this rally. He's right, and that's been deliberate. I have as much right to be silent as I do to speak up and since I've had my own concerns about this rally but didn't (and don't) feel the need to share them, I've stayed silent.

Up until today anyway. Now I feel compelled to say something about what will, I'm afraid, be a public and publicized confirmation that we are indeed some of the things people say we are… ignorant, loud, and disrespectful.

And I wouldn't say anything even now but this is MY community too and I've worked very hard to fight against the prejudice we suffer just because we are off-roaders.

My previous misgivings about this event aside, to pursue this protest on this particular day is in the poorest possible taste. The country is mourning the passing of one of our greatest leaders and this day is being set aside for his greatest moments, not ours.

Yes, Brian is right he was against too much government interference but he was also the president that re-authorized the legislation we are trying to "fix." And, more ironically, this man was very much against protests or strikes (think air traffic controller and before that, Berkeley students). How in the world can holding a protest on the day set aside to honor him be the honorable thing to do?

I've read that there will be a tribute to this fine man also… but does anyone really think he would appreciate the hypocrisy in that tribute being held amidst banners, protesters, placards and picket signs? Is there anyone who thinks the media won't pick up the same hypocrisy? Or maybe the tribute is being done to "legitimize" the event? If not, I hope the OHV community is ready to defend it because that's the perception. In the zeal to accomplish this on the planned day it seems the possibility of disaster been completely ignored along with the profound need for respect this day demands.

Yes, Senator Morrow is speaking. But he would (or should) understand and if he is unable to speak on another day… isn't the interest of the community what should matter anyway? It should be what is being said that matters most… not who is saying it.

Friday should be a day of gathering for sake of Ronald Reagan. Our concerns should be set aside for the day, as the rest of the country will be doing. I'm sorry President Bush chose Friday to help America honor this man but there are some things bigger than ourselves and maybe, in the interest of utmost respect and gosh, just plain a sense of right and wrong, this thing should be rescheduled.

I don't think this post (or any other dissenting post) will make any difference, but I felt compelled to at least try.

Vicki
Vicki Warren
President of DUNERS and Friends of
Dumont Dunes user groups
http://www.duners.org
http://www.FriendsOfDumontDunes.org

Sand Commander

Post by Sand Commander »

It seems logical that the politicians we were asking to speak at our rally will be now busy with morning Reagan on Friday. Media coverage might be less with other morning events scheduled on Friday. Is there a particular reason we must go on Friday?
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

Sandemon
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Sandemon »

I also think that the rally should be put off to another day. I know how much work has gone into the planning of this, and I know that it is a very hard choice to make, but I feel that it is just not the right thing to do given what has happened. :twisted: 8) :)
The ORIGINAL Sandemon
Member of D.U.N.E.R.
Go Hard or Go HomePick Up Your Trash

Poiks

Post by Poiks »

Nobody will be offended if you reschedule.
Some people will be offended if you don't reschedule.

Inconvenient, maybe, but it seems like a no-brainer.

proglamis
ASA Transportation Vice Chair

Post by proglamis »

Nobody will be offended if you reschedule.
Some people will be offended if you don't reschedule.
I Agree!

your basic sandrail
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by your basic sandrail »

As inconvenient as it may be, I think rescheduling is a good idea... I have already taken the day off, and have been able to talk a lot of people into going, but the big picture is that the day has been set aside for mourning President Reagan.

If it doesn't get rescheduled, I'll still be there... I'll still be fighting for our cause, but I have to wonder if the public will see us as protesters at a funeral.

desertsteve
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by desertsteve »

I AGREE !. postpone the rally to a saturday. We will get more people to attend !.

This is a national day of mourning for one of the greatest presidents of our time!.

It is also graduation time for kids and familys.

It just makes sense !.

Believe me this is not easy for me to say !. I have spent the last 3 weeks after work calling people on my dime to help the cause !.

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS »

---PROTEST RALLY HAS BEEN POSTPONED--- 6-9-04

Out of respect for both President Reagan and the wishes of the ASA membership the decision was made to reschedule this event.

A press release will be out shortly. Thank You.

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

basic sandrail:
If it doesn't get rescheduled, I'll still be there... I'll still be fighting for our cause, but I have to wonder if the public will see us as protesters at a funeral.
That was what Jim asked last night at Ron's doing the posters; we thought maybe we could also express support for President Reagan; you know, one for the Gipper, some of his quotes in print, etc. but it did take the edge off the protest, and I'm sure when Jim saw the sentiment expressed by quite a few as it was, the decision was made. There was also a camping date set for after the protest; not sure if that is still on and what the situation is with reservations, etc. Jim had mentioned a month or more ago that he had committed to a # of camp spots......what's the deal Jim? still on? do you have reservations for camping that haven't been spoken for? if so, some of us who haven't taken one of the spots, might consider doing so; I don't know what all Jim's plans are as of now, but it might give members a chance to discuss an alternate day for a protest. I know Jim has to be bumbed at having to cancel; he worked so hard on this. Please be supportive.

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

basic sandrail:
That was what Jim asked last night at Ron's doing the posters; we thought maybe we could also express support for President Reagan; you know, one for the Gipper, some of his quotes in print, etc. but it did take the edge off the protest, and I'm sure when Jim saw the sentiment expressed by quite a few as it was, the decision was made. There was also a camping date set for after the protest; not sure if that is still on and what the situation is with reservations, etc. Jim had mentioned a month or more ago that he had committed to a # of camp spots......what's the deal Jim? still on? do you have reservations for camping that haven't been spoken for? if so, some of us who haven't taken one of the spots, might consider doing so; I don't know what all Jim's plans are as of now, but it might give members a chance to discuss an alternate day for a protest. I know Jim has to be bummed at having to cancel; he worked so hard on this. Please be supportive.

GRANT@FUNCO
ASA President
ASA President

Post by GRANT@FUNCO »

If anyone has ever been involved with anything Jim has been a part of you know the level of commitment and detail he puts into it. This rally will happen and it will be done right another day.

Thanks Jim !!!
GRANT @ FUNCO

GRANT@FUNCO
ASA President
ASA President

Post by GRANT@FUNCO »

I know this was a difficult decision but it was the right right one for our cause. What made it even harder is the scheduled speakers never waivered nor did we get anything but support to go ahead from the Staff at the resource commitee.

We cancelled for the reasons Jim stated.

My hats off to Jim because no stone was left unturned,The mans attetion to detail is incredible and makes me proud to work side by side with him.
GRANT @ FUNCO

The Oldtimer

Post by The Oldtimer »

=D> =D>

Now you can call off the hit! I could swear I saw Tony Soprano drive by the house last night!!

Thank you, Jim Colln. I know how hard all of you have worked to make this happen, and I sincerely regret the hard feelings that I may have caused by starting this thread. I take no pleasure in your decision to pospone..it is simply the right thing to do.

You're a stand up guy, Jim.
Frankie

Member of the ASA

L&L Corvairs
ASA Board Member
ASA Board Member

Post by L&L Corvairs »

As much as I feel badly for Jim, I think this was the right decision.

JMO
L&L
It is not ours to decide the times in which we live.
It is only ours to decide what to do with the time given us.

Make the most of your time.

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Grant
We cancelled for the reasons Jim stated.
My hats off to Jim because no stone was left unturned,The mans attetion to detail is incredible and makes me proud to work side by side with him.
ditto.....Jim is one hard working individual.....that Justine doesn't do too badly, either. :D

NSDuner
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by NSDuner »

not sure if that is still on and what the situation is with reservations, etc. Jim had mentioned a month or more ago that he had committed to a # of camp spots......what's the deal Jim? still on? do you have reservations for camping that haven't been spoken for? if so, some of us who haven't taken one of the spots, might consider doing so;

Our motorhome is ready! A camp trip would be nice to plan and regroup!
Debbie DeRenard
ASA Volunteer/Member
2009 Jerry R. Seaver Award

ChoppedLiver

Post by ChoppedLiver »

Having known Jim for several years now, this was an increadably difficult decision for him. When he puts his mind to do something, he does it and does it with class and detail. Bravo, Jim! Let me know what I can do to make the rally an even bigger success when it does happen.

If you end up having spots left over (I can't imagine why if you were going to Skinner in the first place why you wouldn't still go) I will buy one even though I cannot be there.

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

C L:
If you end up having spots left over (I can't imagine why if you were going to Skinner in the first place why you wouldn't still go) I will buy one even though I cannot be there.

AlxCook

Post by AlxCook »

There are only few people like Jim, he is one of the most dedicated people I know for this cause. Thank you Jim for everything you do.....

And Thank you for postponing, it is the right decision at this time.
Alex

Member of DUNERs, ASA, CORVA, SDORC, BRC, and the human race

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS »

To ALL ,,, Thank You. :P But thank those that have helped from the start as well, the planning committee. Those behind the scenes making the phone calls, donating the materials, advertising and getting the word out. ONLY because of their dedication can a HUGE undertaking happen in an ALL VOLUNTEER organization. :P

A new date has been set, press release is forthcoming.

The Lake Skinner weekend is still on but will take on a different focus. More "relaxed" planning and we still have donated paper and supplies to work with for more Banners and Signs. 8)

I'm Happy to announce that Senator Bill Morrow and the majority of the speakers have agreed, FRIDAY, JUNE 18th will be OUR DAY!!!

We will still be in Carlsbad this Friday and at the 3 business locations to let other know the date has changed. We plan to have a Memorial for President Reagan on the corner of Palomar Airport Rd. and Hidden Valley Road for those that do come by.

Thank You for your Understanding and Support.
Jim
Nothing is achieved without effort --- the fundamental force that brings success...:)

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???
Proud 2005 JRS Award recipient :P

your basic sandrail
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by your basic sandrail »

crap crap crap... I'm out of town for a wedding that Friday... damnit.

proglamis

Post by proglamis »

I was hoping that the postponement would make it possible for us to attend. unfortunatly, both Fridays are bad for us. :(

desertsteve
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by desertsteve »

Not to be a stick in the mud , but why a friday ?. Never the less I will be there. :lol:

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

desertsteve wrote:Not to be a stick in the mud , but why a friday ?. Never the less I will be there. :lol:
Because the FWS isn't open on the weekends and the whole point is to protest the FWS :D

Sand Commander

Post by Sand Commander »

Why not Wednesday or Thursday? Or Monday and give them a whole weeks to talk about it at the water cooler.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

TroyB

Post by TroyB »

:idea: This would be a perfect opportunity to collect donations for our fight against the greens. Maybe a booth were we can all drop a new crisp hundy or what ever you can. Set a goal for an amount. Might spice things up a bit.

Return to “Wide Open Sand”