NO AMNESTY DAY? NO SWEAT…

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Vincent J Brunasso »

With the new BLM Nation-wide Alcohol Initiate, you’ll want to be sure you have absolutely no “probable cause” to get pulled over in the dunes this year. Lack of a green sticker is cause enough to get pulled over.

If you’re waiting for an amnesty day this year, you’re out of luck: there won’t be one at the ISDRA.

No problem though: here’s what you need to do to get a green sticker.

To register an OHV in California that has never been registered and was purchased (or won) from someone other than a licensed California dealer, you will need to:
· Complete an Application for Title or Registration (REG 343). http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg343.pdf
· Have a DMV representative, licensed vehicle verifier, or ANY peace officer complete a vehicle verification (on the REG 343 form). (page 2 of http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg343.pdf)
· Visit a DMV office. Make an appointment for faster service. https://eg.dmv.ca.gov/foAppt/Welcome.jsp
· Provide evidence of ownership such as a bill of sale, out-of-state title, or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin.
· Surrender any on-highway license plates.
· Pay the $25 registration fee.
· Pay the use tax (same % as sales tax).

Make sure you have a bill of sale, or if a home built, receipts for the materials and components (or at least most of them: especially the engine). They will run the engine number, so be sure you are clean there. Having a peace officer complete a vehicle verification saves you from having to take you OHV down to DMV.

Making an appointment with DMV is now pretty painless – go to https://eg.dmv.ca.gov/foAppt/Welcome.jsp and pick the appointment that works best for you. They usually get to you within 10 minutes if you show up on time. There’s even Saturday appointments.
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

quad1100
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by quad1100 »

That's some good info Vincent.

I just want to add one thing seeing how I just went through this on a home built. Seeing how there was no VIN number I had to go by a CHP office and have them assign a number to the chassis, DMV will not do this. The bummer is you have to go to DMV first and get the process started, then they give you the paperwork to take to the CHP, then you have to go back to the DMV to finish.

The more receipts you have the better. They seemed most interested in the motor origin, which I had a paperwork trail for.

BTY, one other common probable cause they get people for is not having taillights, I saw strict enforcement of this at Sand Mountain earlier this year seeing how most everything else is legal there.

Voice
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Voice »

A Mexican/Brazillian made VW case has no serial number. In this case the CHP/DMV will simply enter NA in that field.

A GERMAN made VW case does have a number.
Mahmoud Ahmedinejad in a letter to President Elect Barak Obama
"May God Almighty ... bless the leaders of societies with the courage to learn from the mistakes of predecessors,"
"I hope that you will be able to take fullest advantage of the opportunity to serve and leave behind a positive legacy."

YumaDune
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by YumaDune »

Vince thanks for the update however.... Here we go again for a Q&A or discussion of this topic.
As an Arizonan do I have to go to DMV in Cal? I was under the impression that you could buy a "Green Sticker" at the dunes? if you have the proper paper work from Arizona. Also, you mention "Use or Sales Tax" again? When I registered the buggy, this will bring a response from Jason, I paid the Tax at that time. I've also recieved a response that BLM will accept AZ OHV plates as valid registration? I'm not worried about the alcohol issue as much as the harrasment for the wrong validation. The LEO's would be more than busy enough tracking down the speeders around camps in excess of 15 and the other Safety violations than to pursue this... If this is going to be their method then it's 180 from on the street. In Yuma the lack of registration and insurance could keep them busy 24 hours a day. Just a thought..
It's Just Sand!!!

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

Voice wrote:A Mexican/Brazillian made VW case has no serial number. In this case the CHP/DMV will simply enter NA in that field.
This was the type of motor I had, the officer knew about this and did not even look for one. It was just that I had a bill of sale for the motor.

your basic sandrail
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by your basic sandrail »

Do you also need a statement of construction? http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg5036.pdf

sandhead
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by sandhead »

the use tax fee percentage is base on what amount? If I show my receipts with sales tax paid on the receipt amount, why would I have to pay for the tax twice?

Can anybody explain?
KE6IBH

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

The statement of construction is just a handwritten statement of how the vehicle was built.

I don't know for sure, but if you paid taxes you should only be liable for the unpaid taxes.

smerchan
1st Gear Member

Post by smerchan »

I just started this process yesterday and it can be frustrating. Had appt at DMV to start near work and I already had completed the forms. It took them nearly 45 min to decide what was needed by them and to start the process. Then they wanted to see car to verify Vin number. I explained that there was none and I needed to take the car to the CHP first for Vin number. They wouldn't allow it and wouldn't complete the form referring me to the CHP without seeing the car. I went ahead and paid my fees so at least I have a temp resistration. After work I took the paperwork to local DMV near my house to verify again the process and to make an appt for the verification at the DMV. They said no we don't verify new off road vehicles, they completed the form that the first office refused and I was out the door in 15 min without an appt.

Seems no office does it the same way. I have done this once before and brought the vehicle to the DMV for inspection and it was a wasted trip.

Next step off to CHP to make an appt.
Steve M.

Poiks

Post by Poiks »

your basic sandrail wrote:Do you also need a statement of construction? http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg5036.pdf
My last buggy was built in AZ without a VIN assigned, so I had to do the DMV>>CHP>>DMV thing. There was no request for a statement of construction.

One additional note: in CA you best be sure your engine is not stolen. The CHP ran my engine number, discovered it was from a stolen motorcycle, and impounded the buggy. They were about to rip the engine out of the buggy when the builder made a deal with the insurance company to buy the engine.

Larry Jowdy
ASA Forum Administrator

Post by Larry Jowdy »

Regarding visitors from Arizona,
Off-Highway Nonresident Special Operating Permit Fee

38231.5. (a) The fee for a special permit issued under Section 38087.5 shall be not less than twenty dollars ($20), as established by the Department of Parks and Recreation. The Department of Parks and Recreation may adjust the special permit fee for a permit issued to a nonresident of this state under Section 38087.5, as necessary, to recover the costs of this program. After deducting its administrative and vendor costs, the Department of Parks and Recreation shall deposit the fees received under this section in the Off-Highway Vehicle Trust Fund. Money in the fund shall be allocated, upon appropriation, as provided in Sections 5090.50 and 5090.64 of the Public Resources Code.

(b) The Department of Parks and Recreation shall print the special permits required by Section 38087.5 and shall supervise the sale of those permits throughout the state.

(c) The Department of Parks and Recreation shall either distribute and sell the special permits directly or contract with vendors according to rules and regulations established by that department. The vendors shall receive a commission in an amount not to exceed 5 percent of the fee imposed pursuant to subdivision (a) for each special permit sold. The Department of Parks and Recreation may solicit the participation of qualified retail commercial enterprises engaged in the sale or rental of off-highway vehicles, equipment, accessories, or supplies to act as authorized vendors of the special permits and may authorize local and federal agencies that provide off-highway vehicle opportunities to act as authorized vendors of the special permits.

Larry Jowdy
ASA Forum Administrator

Post by Larry Jowdy »

DMV

For those Calif. residents that need "speedy" DMV work, I might suggest that you visit the DMV office in Brawley. I went there in January to renew my drivers license. I didn't have an appointment and I renewed my license and left in 10 minutes.

Paleale

Post by Paleale »

I did this 2 years ago. Brought all my receipts to the DMV ( which they never asked to see) filled out the spcns form paid 20 dollars for my tag,Paid no sales tax at all, got a temp until I made it down to the CHP for my V.I.N. CHP asked to see bill of sale for the Engine and Tranny only. They put on V.I.N. they also filled out paperwork to give to DMV. Went back to DMV got my green sticker. I did use appointments for all phase of this endeavor the longest time I spent anywhere was at the CHP office in Temecula about 45 min to 1Hr because they guy in front of me was trying to get new V.I.N. on a stolen car.
Paleale

"Off Roading Is Not A Crime...Its A Blast"

"Without tides there is no change, with out a moon there is no tides, So if you seek change go out and MOON someone"

IT IS TIME TO REVOLT

SAVE GLAMIS

djw

Post by djw »

I did this 2 years ago. Brought all my receipts to the DMV ( which they never asked to see)
Went through mine a year ago. I made a spread sheet indicating invoice number, date, vendor and amount paid breaking out taxes for all receipts. Both the DMV and CHP just scanned the spread sheet and checked a few receipts. The more your organized, the quicker it seemed to be, the amount I was taxed (use fee) was the untaxed items. I downloaded and filled out all three forms before I went to the DMV, copies too and put it into a folder, if they asked for it out it came. I was on a misson to get the CHP form and temp registration.

In California you can not transport an unregistered vehicle, even on a trailer. Leave the car at home until you pay your fees and get that temp registration. (red square with the number) You can dune with the temp, but not displaying it would probably target you for a pull over. There's an engineering problem. :?

Including the mandatory appointment with the CHP, the whole process took me 15 days. My car now has a VIN, title and green sticker. which probably increased it's resale value by 30%. 8)
djw
W8AME

amigosnano
1st Gear Member

Post by amigosnano »

What exactly is accomplished on the first DMV visit? If I can download all the forms and fill them out, is it possible to go straight to the CHP and get the vin. Then on to the DMV. What is pertinent about going to the DMV first? I must have missed that in all the reading. Thanks.
AMIGOS SO. CAL

djw

Post by djw »

There's a form that only the DMV can provide after you have paid your fees. It must be signed by the DMV staff member and is presented to the CHP officer doing your vin check.

Hope that helps.
djw
W8AME

your basic sandrail
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by your basic sandrail »

At the DMV today, they started my paperwork, then told me that I needed to bring the buggy to them, as it didn't have a VIN assigned yet.

So tomorrow, its back to the DMV with the buggy in tow, and hopefully they can take care of it then and there.

Mike330R
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mike330R »

I ran into issues with my frame swap on my ATV.
Apperently I should have "junked" my old quad with DMV.
This would release the engine S/N from that frame. (I have since sold that frame). I didn't do that and went to CHP today. He said where the numbers to the motor? I had my motor polished a few years back and the numbers were removed!

So I was able to get a copy of the new titile (registration does not show motor numbers) to the old frame from the new owner.

Hoping this will cure my problem.

The CHP officer mentioned he could take my motor due to it not having numbers *grrr*
Mike

schraderrl
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by schraderrl »

I’ve bought new Yamaha engine cases in the past that did not have numbers just blank
I was told that in California it’s the frame numbers that count and engine numbers don’t have to match just be sure the engine is not “hot”

Also I was told that X-rays will show the number impressions on a ground down engine case

Good news as of 9-14-04 there is no additional fee for on-line Cal DMV renewal and now you may also renew your driver’s license on line

Vincent J Brunasso

Also I was told that X-rays will show the number impressions on a ground down engine case
That is only one way...
Vincent J. Brunasso

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Liquid1
1st Gear Member

Post by Liquid1 »

does anyone know if there is a way to check your vin to make sure you dont have a stolen motor/frame whatever. maybe a website or something?
Thanks

Vincent J Brunasso

Liquid1 wrote:does anyone know if there is a way to check your vin to make sure you dont have a stolen motor/frame whatever. maybe a website or something?
Thanks
go to Carfax or Google and type in your VIN
http://www.carfax.com will give you a small report for free - you'll need to spend some cash to get the full report.
Vincent J. Brunasso

--Thomas Jefferson

sbheg
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Used a Service

Post by sbheg »

I just used a service to get my stuff registered. It was great!

If you live in San Diego, East County you may find this to be an alternative. It cost me $60 dollars and she did all the running around at DMV and depending on your situation she may be able to do the verification instead of CHP.

California Registration Service
593 El Cajon Blvd.
El Cajon, CA 92020
619-441-8263
Ask for Jessica, the owner.

sbheg
Proud ASA Volunteer

SandCrew1
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by SandCrew1 »

Business hours to set up an appointment with the CHP in the San Diego area to verify your vehicle are Monday - Thursday 9am - 1pm.
Phone # 858-492-1745

I may look into the Registration service.

SandCrew1
2000 Dune Buggy
2003 Raptor
2004 Honda EX 400
2004 Suzuki LTZ 250
1999 Blaster 200
2004 Honda EX 250
2004 Mini-Raptor 80
2004 Eton 50

Return to “Wide Open Sand”